SelArom's Posts

SelArom's Posts

Out of curiosity SelArom, do you have the L511Z model of the 15Z? If you have a later model, it might not have a cypress touchpad at all, which could explain the problems. hu... See more...
Out of curiosity SelArom, do you have the L511Z model of the 15Z? If you have a later model, it might not have a cypress touchpad at all, which could explain the problems. huh, well... you may be on to something there. I looked at my device manager and for the touchpad I see this: ACPI\VEN_DLL&DEV_0446 searching for that seems to suggest that it is a Synaptics Touchpad... is that a different device than Cypress (some of these companies are the same sometimes I wouldn't know...) if they are not then I'm definitely pissed because under my device in drivers and downloads on dell it still lists the Cypress touchpad drivers... if they are the same, then it appears I am screwed because the latest drivers linked here do not work for me... thanks for the info!
thank you again for all your help, but after fighting this thing I just gave up, wiped the drive and reinstalled win 7 pro. Both during and after the installation, the touchpad worked 100% so I'm e... See more...
thank you again for all your help, but after fighting this thing I just gave up, wiped the drive and reinstalled win 7 pro. Both during and after the installation, the touchpad worked 100% so I'm entirely convinced it is certainly not the hardware. (incidentally the touchpad also worked during installation of win8, but failed immediately after when actually inside the OS) Windows 8 is great and this is a total shame. Shame mostly on dell for not being able to produce a simple freaking touchpad driver, but also shame on Microsoft for letting their hardware partners get away with <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> like this. Perhaps an upgrade from win7 -> win8 might work, but after all this garbage I'm not about to try again.  I thank everyone who assisted once again, and perhaps I'll try again when win9 comes out. maybe by then dell will have a decent win8 driver (not holding my breath for that one)  
I would like to kindly thank Ken and Tim both for taking the time to reply, and once again express my frustration that community members are the ones helping me, rather than a) dell support answering... See more...
I would like to kindly thank Ken and Tim both for taking the time to reply, and once again express my frustration that community members are the ones helping me, rather than a) dell support answering and b) releasing a working driver for god's sake so this isn't even an issue... Anyway, that being said, here's some more info that I hope might help: 1. I am running a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro x64 (not an upgrade from Win7) 2. I don't believe it is a hardware issue, because only 2 days ago this laptop was running Windows 7 x64 Pro with no issues. Unless the touchpad is sensitive to software installations, I don't see how the hardware could have failed from installing win8 3. I have tried the latest v.2.3.6.12, A04 and 2.3.6.26,A06 from the xps 15z page for win7 x64, as well as the 2.5.1.41, A03 for XPS 13 (L322x) and 2.5.3.43, A05 for XPS 13 (L321X), although all installed without any errors, and I verified in the Device settings that the driver version numbers matched exactly each time, NONE of them work 4. By "not working" I mean that when the drivers are installed, I move my finger on the touchpad, and either the mouse doesn't move at all or it moves SLIGHTLY (maybe a centimeter at most) then freezes. However, both buttons always work, so even when the mouse is frozen in place, I can right click and bring up the context menu. 5. If I remove ALL drivers and use the stock windows driver, the mouse KIND OF responds, as I can move it around the window, but when I let it go, it jumps back to the same position at the top of the screen. One more thing I've noticed while typing this response. It appears the longer I leave the mouse without using it, the longer it appears to work in item #4 above. For example, while typing #5 and this sentence, it's been about 1 minute or so. I move the mouse and it works! for about 5 seconds.. then it stutters, and eventually halts. If I wait another few minutes, I can move it for another few seconds... I honestly don't care about gestures or scrolling or ANY of that stuff. I just want the damn touchpad to move the freaking mouse! Any information or new things to try would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I can provide any further information to help and once again thank you to the community members for doing Dell's job.
guys this is unacceptable, why are you not releasing drivers for this touchpad on windows 8? you do realize your laptop is basically UNUSABLE without the farking touch pad right?!
so, I was able to install the driver using the manual instructions, and I do see the trackpad icon in the system tray and can set the settings...   Unfortunately, the touchpad is NOT working. Whe... See more...
so, I was able to install the driver using the manual instructions, and I do see the trackpad icon in the system tray and can set the settings...   Unfortunately, the touchpad is NOT working. When the laptop boots I can move it for about half a second, then it freezes. I can use an external mouse to move the pointer, but the mouse does not move using the touchpad. The touchpad buttons DO work, but I cannot move the pointer with the trackpad. I've tried a04 and a06 and both installed ok (using workaround) but neither makes the trackpad work. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Also I'd just like to add a personal F U to dell for this. Windows 8 has been out for almost a year now, and there is no official working driver? Guess this xps was the last dell product I'll ever buy.