Stooartbaby's Posts

Stooartbaby's Posts

http://www.dellevents.com/event.asp?EventID=935&t=1 Dell invites you to a webcast demonstration of Dell's OpenManage suite of management applications. There will be a quick overview of the current ... See more...
http://www.dellevents.com/event.asp?EventID=935&t=1 Dell invites you to a webcast demonstration of Dell's OpenManage suite of management applications. There will be a quick overview of the current OpenManage suite of management functions. The majority of the hour will be a demonstration of the new one to many management console, Dell Management Console, that will be released within the first half of 2009. This is a multi-customer call so some questions may have to be answered in follow up after the call.
I found a "sort of" solution here --> http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/tag/san/ (scroll down towards the bottom)
Hi Guys, I understand that this will allow us to boot from SAN, but is the funtionality avaiable to a VM hosted on a ESX R805 for eg? and will it then allow for conectivity to other devices (other... See more...
Hi Guys, I understand that this will allow us to boot from SAN, but is the funtionality avaiable to a VM hosted on a ESX R805 for eg? and will it then allow for conectivity to other devices (other world wide names)?? Thanks, Stuart.
Thanks for the reply, yes i agree, the research I have seen so far mentiones 22 degrees as the norm.. I would be great if we could capture temp readings from our servers so that we can gragh a trend. ... See more...
Thanks for the reply, yes i agree, the research I have seen so far mentiones 22 degrees as the norm.. I would be great if we could capture temp readings from our servers so that we can gragh a trend. Have a great day! Stuart.
One more question... We currently have our Exchange 2003 cluster backing up directly to our HP tape library over fibre (via our brocades). Our new 2007 cluster is going to be virtualised/SAN a... See more...
One more question... We currently have our Exchange 2003 cluster backing up directly to our HP tape library over fibre (via our brocades). Our new 2007 cluster is going to be virtualised/SAN attached... so how do people out there get a VM server to "see" other worldwide names when there is no HBA involved/installed (i.e. the servers are now VMs)?? is there such a thing as a virtual HBA?? I would think that the servers need some way to communicate with other fibre connected devices... I know we can snapshot the SANs etc... but it would make life easier i would think if we can still do a full backup of Exchange to tape. Thanks, Stuart.
Hi Guys, Just wondering if there is any official Dell documentation regarding dataceter temperature? We have about 90 physical servers, 80-ish virtual servers, a Ericson PABX (plus ups for same... See more...
Hi Guys, Just wondering if there is any official Dell documentation regarding dataceter temperature? We have about 90 physical servers, 80-ish virtual servers, a Ericson PABX (plus ups for same), 4 x Cisco 6500s, a couple of server switch stacks, assorted routers/firewalls 3 or 4 EMC SANs and fibre switches etc etc ... We did have the temp set to 19.9 but have just raised it to 22.... so wondering what everyone else has these set to... Thanks, Stuart.
Hi There, Sorry to say that it is not possible to install the OM client onto a VM guest... the only way I have been able to make it work is to install the client on a physical machine and then conv... See more...
Hi There, Sorry to say that it is not possible to install the OM client onto a VM guest... the only way I have been able to make it work is to install the client on a physical machine and then convert that machine to a VM... this was initially okay due to our ESX environment being so new... but as time goes on, we are creating more and more VMs that do not have the clients installed... currently 83 VMs are monitored, 12 are not... With any luck, the new version of the Management suite will allow us to monitor VMs as well as physical boxes :) Thanks, Stuart.
I have now setup the Dell Client Manager (Altiris product) and it is great... BIOS updates etc are now a breeze! Have a great weekend! Stuart.
  Hi Everyone,   I need to do an audit of just over 2000 workstations to find out the Bios versions and settings used. Is the Altiris client manager the only way to do this?? The reaso... See more...
  Hi Everyone,   I need to do an audit of just over 2000 workstations to find out the Bios versions and settings used. Is the Altiris client manager the only way to do this?? The reason for the audit is that we are experiencing network dropouts (unknown duplex setting messages being displayed on our switches)   on a number of machines (both 755s and 745s)... I currently use OpenManage for our server fleet... not sure if this will help?   Thanks, Stuart.    
Oh, I should say that we have just over 2000 machines...
Hi Guys, I need to do an audit of our client machines to find out the bios version each client is using. Is there a quick and easy way to do this that you know of? or will I need to setup the Altir... See more...
Hi Guys, I need to do an audit of our client machines to find out the bios version each client is using. Is there a quick and easy way to do this that you know of? or will I need to setup the Altiris Client management system for this and push out the client software? I need to do the audit due to a network loss issue we are experiencing... it is affecting newer (755s) and older (745s) Dell workstations. I will post the question on the Dell forums... but thought i would ask the experts first :) Thanks, Stuart.
5.5 looks really good so far... I have found that it handles our ESX VMs very well (as in they are all within the correct groups). The Power/performance monitoring is working great though it can b... See more...
5.5 looks really good so far... I have found that it handles our ESX VMs very well (as in they are all within the correct groups). The Power/performance monitoring is working great though it can be a little slow to return the summary information when a server is highlighted. Software updates, alerts and more or less everything else, including repository updates etc is working fine. It may just be my environment, but I also feel it is using slightly less server resources as well... Thanks, Stuart.
Hi Guys, I am trying to find some information regarding this setting in the bios... is there any documentation that you know of that explains exactly what this does? We run an ESX environment he... See more...
Hi Guys, I am trying to find some information regarding this setting in the bios... is there any documentation that you know of that explains exactly what this does? We run an ESX environment here... and I think I need to enable this setting before i can get 64bit VMs working... Thanks, Stuart.
  Thanks to the guys at www.delltechcenter.com for reminding me of this...   You can use the omconfig command to make thefollowing chassis changes:     C:\>omconfig chassis info /?  i... See more...
  Thanks to the guys at www.delltechcenter.com for reminding me of this...   You can use the omconfig command to make thefollowing chassis changes:     C:\>omconfig chassis info /?  index=<number>   Chassis index (defaults to 0, main system chassis). tag=<text>          Asset tag value (up to 10 chars, alphanumeric text only). name=<text>        Set chassis name.    Thanks, Stuart.  Message Edited by Stooartbaby on 10-16-2008 04:14 PM
Do you have snmp configured correctly on the laptop? make sure you configure the community strings etc to suite your environment.   Stuart.
I know that when Dell support changed the motherboard on one of our servers, they had to run a utility to put in the service tag again... maybe a hardware component has change on this server at so... See more...
I know that when Dell support changed the motherboard on one of our servers, they had to run a utility to put in the service tag again... maybe a hardware component has change on this server at some point???   Stuart.
Hiya, Yep I have set the java memory config... it is running on a Win2003R2 server... I have logged a call with Dell and sent them a DSET report, if they find an answerr i will post it here...  ... See more...
Hiya, Yep I have set the java memory config... it is running on a Win2003R2 server... I have logged a call with Dell and sent them a DSET report, if they find an answerr i will post it here...  Even before this timeout issue, I always found that going to the software updates screen took more time than other screens... Have a great day,  Stuart 
Doh!     Message Edited by Stooartbaby on 10-15-2008 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone,   When I click on Manage --> Software Updates (Ctrl+u) my system just sits there and times out... I have played with user timeout settings etc restarted everything under the sun but... See more...
Hi Everyone,   When I click on Manage --> Software Updates (Ctrl+u) my system just sits there and times out... I have played with user timeout settings etc restarted everything under the sun but still have the same issue.   Is there any way I can resolve this without having to delete the repositories? (cause i don't want to download them all again)   Thanks, Stuart