duanef's Posts

duanef's Posts

I think we're going to see more and more issues in this area, unless I'm missing something. The OP had no optical drive, but for Server 2016 (and beyond) with the ISO exceeding 4.7GB, unless you have... See more...
I think we're going to see more and more issues in this area, unless I'm missing something. The OP had no optical drive, but for Server 2016 (and beyond) with the ISO exceeding 4.7GB, unless you have a double layer drive you might as well not have one. I don't believe the standard CD/DVD+/-RW is DL, but happy to be corrected. So then you hit the iDrac Express limitation. Maybe this is an encouragement for us all to buy an Enterprise License, what it also points out is that the iDrac Express options are not fit for purpose. If you can't load an OS the nice shiny new server you just bought is a brick. So no doubt in recognition of this fact, indeed you can download a 30 day trial lics at http://www.dell.com/support/article/sln309292/  This gets you the valuable iDrac Virtual Media option. Which in my experience did NOT allow me to mount the ISO off USB stick on the server, but rather you navigate the file system on the mgmt machine. This means I am loading the OS s l o w l y from a mounted ISO on a laptop across Ethernet to the LOM port. Yuck  
By way of followup, I had to go #1 as there aren't power connections for more than 4 drives :-( So I swapped in a new 0:0 and it went like this: - POST warning about degraded array <continue> -... See more...
By way of followup, I had to go #1 as there aren't power connections for more than 4 drives :-( So I swapped in a new 0:0 and it went like this: - POST warning about degraded array <continue> - Boot to OS, go to OMSA, only 3 drives showing in Virtual Disk. - New 0:0 drive showing under Array Disks. Only choice - Initialize - Initialize and 0:0 shows as Ready, I then thought I would need to initiate a rebuild, but it began automatically - Virtual Disk then shows as regenerating, with 0:0 online oh, and one more item, the audible alarm starts after you continue past the degraded disk. so it's nice to shut that up which occurs after you initialize the disk and it begins to regenerate
I noticed today an odd state in the array attached to our CERC SATA 1.5/6ch. I say odd, because the Virtual Disk does not show as degraded. It shows as Ready and only when you click into the Array Di... See more...
I noticed today an odd state in the array attached to our CERC SATA 1.5/6ch. I say odd, because the Virtual Disk does not show as degraded. It shows as Ready and only when you click into the Array Disks do you see that one Array Disk 0:0 in this case shows as Unknown. This is a 4 drive RAID 5 without a hot spare. So the array is still ticking away, but i would certainly have expected it to be degraded. Perhaps it's the "unknown" part of it - but no indication that a rebuild or anything is being attempted. Anyway I can see over the past couple of days a few bad block errors, Event 2150. Message: Bad block extended medium error:  Array Disk 0:0 Controller 1, Connector 0 Source Name: Server Administrator Time Written: 7/19/2012 8:00:40 AM Event Type: Warning In OMSA I have no options to perform on the disk itself. "No Task Available." So I think the best course is to just replace the drive in question. And I can think of a couple ways to do that. 1. Down the server, take out the failed drive, replace with a new drive into the same position, or 2. Add replacement as a fifth drive, global hot spare, and look for a failover and rebuild after startup. But essentially leave the unknown disk in place for now. I'm sure there will be shades of difference in either of these two paths, along with possible gotchas, so I appreciate any feedback on how best to proceed. Thanks in advance.  
So here's a tale. In a temperature controlled server room, at 22:04:04 the temp probe throws an alert that temp dropped _below_ the minimum. Dubious, and indeed at 22:04:41 or mere centiseconds later... See more...
So here's a tale. In a temperature controlled server room, at 22:04:04 the temp probe throws an alert that temp dropped _below_ the minimum. Dubious, and indeed at 22:04:41 or mere centiseconds later, Device returned to normal.   http://i44.tinypic.com/29cpbmq.jpg The thing is, immediately and commensurate with the first low temp alert, this initiates a host system shutdown. Unfortunately it appears that the temp probe coming right does not cancel the forementioned shutdown. And indeed the server proceeds to shut down shall we say less than gracefully. At next appearance there it is, sitting in POST with the attached drive array showing all drives failed and flashing amber. The joy is mine. Later forensics will reveal that milliseconds after the temp returns to normal, an event is logged to commemorate the joyous happening. http://i44.tinypic.com/noua8z.jpg I reboot to find my happiness is complete. All logical drives on the vault are gone, and OpenManage -> Storage .... Virtual Disks offers two suggestions: blink and unblink. No online. No rebuild. I blink. I reboot and try Ctrl+M. While this interface brings back warm memories of EISA configuration, there is nothing on offer that hints of drive recovery or restoration. I follow the wisdom of the ages: I try turning it all off and on again. Once more into OpenManage. I drill down into the Connector -> Array Disks and against all logic, but trusting to Fortuna, I bring a single drive Online. Green light. A second. Third. And so on. And then I wait, sniffing lavendar and nibbling bonbons on my pillow, while the virtual disk goes through several hours of Initializing.... and comes back. May your morning be filled with as much fun and excitement.    
Long time since this post, but since I just experienced this, I'll post here for the next guy. I believe this occurs when you _replace_ the failed drive with a new one. It is not picked up as a ho... See more...
Long time since this post, but since I just experienced this, I'll post here for the next guy. I believe this occurs when you _replace_ the failed drive with a new one. It is not picked up as a hot spare and utilized. I could not assign it as a hot spare either, and this was not what I expected. I too had the remove dead segments command, which was confusing because the drive with the dead segments is long gone at that point. So eventually I decided that the controller is still retaining the config on the old drive, even though I've pulled it. And until I say, It's OK to forget that, it will not start the rebuild. As soon as I did Remove Dead Segments, the replacement drive came on line and started regenerating. I think the answer is to put the replacement drive into a new slot, or in my case a spare SATA connector, configure it as a hot spare, though if you are using all the connectors you will have to do it by pulling the failed drive anyway. This was my experience with the SATA 1.5/6 ch, FWIW.
Hi, I'm sure this will be a simple enough question for anyone with a T610 series. I have read the white paper about balanced configuration and populating the channels etc. That is clear enough.... See more...
Hi, I'm sure this will be a simple enough question for anyone with a T610 series. I have read the white paper about balanced configuration and populating the channels etc. That is clear enough. What I am not clear on is whether the total available to the OS is the total of all memory in the server or if CPU1 and CPU2 each have 12 GB is the total available 12GB or 24GB. Thanks in advance  
Just to clarify what worked, I had been using SMcli 127.0.0.1 .....   When I switched to SMcli with the IP associated with that controller (in this case controller 0 owned that disk)  the free spa... See more...
Just to clarify what worked, I had been using SMcli 127.0.0.1 .....   When I switched to SMcli with the IP associated with that controller (in this case controller 0 owned that disk)  the free space was added !! Magic. Thanks all.
Nice thought, but..... C:\Program Files\Dell\MD Storage Manager\client>SMcli 127.0.0.1 -c "start diskGroup [1] defragment;" -p xxxxxxxxxxx Performing syntax check... Syntax check complete. Exe... See more...
Nice thought, but..... C:\Program Files\Dell\MD Storage Manager\client>SMcli 127.0.0.1 -c "start diskGroup [1] defragment;" -p xxxxxxxxxxx Performing syntax check... Syntax check complete. Executing script... Script execution complete. SMcli completed successfully. C:\Program Files\Dell\MD Storage Manager\client>SMcli 127.0.0.1 -c "Set virtualDisk ["File_Data_01"] addCapacity=1000000 0000;" -p xxxxxxxxxxx Performing syntax check... Syntax check complete. Executing script... An error occurred while attempting to increase virtual disk capacity for virtual disk File_Data_01 at line 1. Error 2 - The operation cannot complete because either (1) the current state of a component does not allow the operation  to be completed, (2) the operation has been disabled in NVSRAM (example, you are modifying media scan parameters when t hat option (offset 0x31, bit 5) is disabled), or (3) there is a problem with the storage array. Please check your storage array and its various components for possible problems and then retry the operation. The command at line 1 that caused the error is: Set virtualDisk [File_Data_01] addCapacity=10000000000; Script execution halted due to error. SMcli failed.  
Unfortunately, seems like it must be something else... smcli 127.0.0.1 -c "show virtualdisk [\"File_Data_01\"] actionprogress"; Executing script... Virtual Disk File_Data_01 No action in pr... See more...
Unfortunately, seems like it must be something else... smcli 127.0.0.1 -c "show virtualdisk [\"File_Data_01\"] actionprogress"; Executing script... Virtual Disk File_Data_01 No action in progress Script execution complete. SMcli completed successfully.
We have one Disk Group that has a chunk of free capacity available. Read up on the addCapacity command in the CLI guide and tried to execute. Set virtualDisk ["File_Data_01"] addCapacity=1000000000... See more...
We have one Disk Group that has a chunk of free capacity available. Read up on the addCapacity command in the CLI guide and tried to execute. Set virtualDisk ["File_Data_01"] addCapacity=10000000000; to try and add 10GB. The command runs and we get: Executing script... An error occurred while attempting to increase virtual disk capacity for virtual disk File_Data_01 at line 1. Error 2 - The operation cannot complete because either (1) the current state of a component does not allow the operation  to be completed, (2) the operation has been disabled in NVSRAM (example, you are modifying media scan parameters when t hat option (offset 0x31, bit 5) is disabled), or (3) there is a problem with the storage array. Please check your storage array and its various components for possible problems and then retry the operation. The command at line 1 that caused the error is: Hmmm......I would guess we are dealing with (1) current state of a component...   Any suggestions on what to try next? Does the addCapacity command need to be run with the disk group offline?