stevecarter's Posts

stevecarter's Posts

@BigBrother wrote: stevecarter,   Have you tried an external keyboard in addition to the external mice?  It is important to know that, unlike USB ports, PS/2 ports are not designed to accept... See more...
@BigBrother wrote: stevecarter,   Have you tried an external keyboard in addition to the external mice?  It is important to know that, unlike USB ports, PS/2 ports are not designed to accept connection to external devices while powered up.  Whenever connecting a PS/2, parallel, serial or external video device, the system should not be powered up.  Connecting these types of devices while the system is powered up can damage the port.    If the PS/2 port is not functional, you can use a USB mouse or a PS/2 to USB adapter and connect to a USB port.   Steve Hi Steve,   Thanks for your response.   I have indeed tried an external keyboard in the PS/2 socket, and that works fine. I know about the powered-up issue, and only connected the mouse when the machine was off.   As it is a second-user machine, I have no knowledge as to whether someone in the past has not been so careful.   Is it possible for the mouse bit to have failed whilst the keyboard still works? Is there anyway to test the hardware?   Thanks again,   Stephen Carter 
Hi,   Has anyone come across a problem with connecting and external mouse to a 2600 via the PS2 connection at the back of the machine?   I have tried a couple of different mice, and can get no... See more...
Hi,   Has anyone come across a problem with connecting and external mouse to a 2600 via the PS2 connection at the back of the machine?   I have tried a couple of different mice, and can get no response. I have set the BIOS to both Auto detect and Enabled in turn, but it makes little difference.   What might be wrong?   Thanks,   Stephen Carter 
Hi,   I am using an Inspiron 2600 with MS Windows XP Pro SP2.   The video display properties dialogue shows both a primary and secondary monitor, and I have a second monitor connected to the m... See more...
Hi,   I am using an Inspiron 2600 with MS Windows XP Pro SP2.   The video display properties dialogue shows both a primary and secondary monitor, and I have a second monitor connected to the monitor output connector at the back of the laptop.   When I tick the "extend desktop to second monitor" box and then the "Apply" button, the screen flickers and comes back with the option unticked.   Any ideas what I am doing wrong?   Thanks.   Stephen Carter 
Can someone please tell me what is the most powerful CPU to put in this machine? Currently it has a Celeron 1.13GHz CPU Thanks Stephen Carter
I have downloaded the driver provided by Dell for the Alps Touchpad on my Inspiron 3800 (TS9UA03Z.exe) under WinMe.   The Dell site information about the file states that it is good for Windows M... See more...
I have downloaded the driver provided by Dell for the Alps Touchpad on my Inspiron 3800 (TS9UA03Z.exe) under WinMe.   The Dell site information about the file states that it is good for Windows Me, but when the file decompresses, Windows Me is not mentioned in the headings.   When trying to install for Windows Me it locks up.   The file does work under Windows 98, so it is not a bad download.   Any ideas how I get a driver that works for Windows Me?   Thanks.
A little while ago, the left-hand channel of audio output fell silent, apart from the odd click at boot-up. I have run Dell Diagnostics and there is no test for the ESS Maestro audio function in th... See more...
A little while ago, the left-hand channel of audio output fell silent, apart from the odd click at boot-up. I have run Dell Diagnostics and there is no test for the ESS Maestro audio function in that suite, although the Speaker test DOES produce sound from both channels. The usual OS is Windows XP Pro SP2 plus all updates. I have installed the latest audio drivers and I have eliminated all the offenders that I know of such as balance, type of audio set up etc. When I play an audio CD using either CD Player or Windows Media Player, exactly the same behaviour occurs. HOWEVER - I also have a LINUX distro (SimplyMEPIS) set up on a different hard disk and, if I boot to that I initially get no left-hand channel as it boots but, when I play a CD using the MEPIS CD Player, I get sound from both channels. Weird or what? Does anyone know of anything else I can do to find out just what is wrong and, hopefully, put it right? Thanks. Message Edited by stevecarter on 06-16-2005 01:29 AM
DELL-Jesse: Thanks for taking the trouble to reply but, unfortunately, noe of the information on the page you quoted, nor the links it points to, refer to the Front Panel connector pinout. As it h... See more...
DELL-Jesse: Thanks for taking the trouble to reply but, unfortunately, noe of the information on the page you quoted, nor the links it points to, refer to the Front Panel connector pinout. As it happens, someone on another board has been able to point me to the right solution at:- http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/fpconn.htm Maybe you can store this in case you ever get asked about it again. Thanks for your help.
I have a Dell Dimension XPS P200s MT mainboard and need to find the pinout information for the connector J9E1 which connects the front panel. Can anyone help please?