dgfrandin's Posts

dgfrandin's Posts

The incorrect ram was the problem. The vendor sold registered ecc as being R210 compatible. Once I got some unbuffered ECC ram, the system works fine... Thanks
I bought a "bare bones" R210 chassis, R210 motherboard (several, which showed the same 1-4 status), Xeon qc X3450 cpu, R210 heat sink, and R210 power-supply, so in essence it *is* an R210. I believe ... See more...
I bought a "bare bones" R210 chassis, R210 motherboard (several, which showed the same 1-4 status), Xeon qc X3450 cpu, R210 heat sink, and R210 power-supply, so in essence it *is* an R210. I believe I've found the problem. The ram I ordered stated it was R210-compatible, but turned out to be ECC registered, where the Dell R210 manual says "ECC unbuffered". I've sent back the registered ram and am waiting for an order of unbuffered. Will post back when I recieve it and try it... Thanks Dave
I have an R210 server that was built from a barebones chassis from eBay. The PS/Ram/CPU/MB were also bought on eBay. My question is this: IS there *any* other item from the above list that could caus... See more...
I have an R210 server that was built from a barebones chassis from eBay. The PS/Ram/CPU/MB were also bought on eBay. My question is this: IS there *any* other item from the above list that could cause the powerup diags 1 and 4 lamps to light? I know that the 1-4 combination indicates mainboard failure, but here's the thing. I've recieved two allegedly tested mainboards from the same eBay vendor that exhibited the same error on powerup. I returned those and bought another board from another non-eBay vendor and it exhibited the SAME error on powerup. I tried removing the ram and powering the system up, I got the expected "1" light indicating no ram present. I supported Dell servers in my job prior to retirement, but never really had to worry as we had onsite warrantee on all of our server systems. I find it hard to believe that 3 mainboards from two different vendors would exhibit the same failure/error code.. Hoping there is something else that is causing this error... Thanks Dave
Thank you!! Will get an order in immediately...
What I'm missing are the obviously special screws and fiber/rubber spacers that the screws go thru into the 3.5" SATA drive in each of the two hard drive caddies.. For testing, I'm currently using tw... See more...
What I'm missing are the obviously special screws and fiber/rubber spacers that the screws go thru into the 3.5" SATA drive in each of the two hard drive caddies.. For testing, I'm currently using two standard screws on one side of the drive, which is NOT a permanent fix... Thanks Dave
I just bought a refurbed PE R210 server. It came with no drives but did include the two drive caddies, but none of the obviously special mounting hardware needed to mount two drives. Can someone poin... See more...
I just bought a refurbed PE R210 server. It came with no drives but did include the two drive caddies, but none of the obviously special mounting hardware needed to mount two drives. Can someone point me to a source for these items?
Thank you.. I looked all over the page and must have missed that!!
I was given a Latitude E5410 for Christmas, and while setting it up, I noticed it had a very old A04 bios. I went to the drivers website to update it to the latest, which showed as A16. I downloaded ... See more...
I was given a Latitude E5410 for Christmas, and while setting it up, I noticed it had a very old A04 bios. I went to the drivers website to update it to the latest, which showed as A16. I downloaded and tried to apply that bios and was told I had to apply A10 first. I went looking for A10 either thru the actual page for the units service tag and just a generic E5410, and the oldest bios I could find was A11. A11 gave the same error as A16. Where can get an A10 bios package for an E5410?? Thanks Dave
Replaced motherboard, problem solved...
Recieved good/tested Dell powersupply, powersupply did not fix problem. Ordered a replacement motherboard...
Ok.. Thanks.. I have a replacement power supply on the way..
I have a Precision T3500 that just started not powering on. I went on vacation for about a week, powering down the system before leaving, where it was normally on 7/24 and working fine. Upon my retur... See more...
I have a Precision T3500 that just started not powering on. I went on vacation for about a week, powering down the system before leaving, where it was normally on 7/24 and working fine. Upon my return, when I tried to power the system back on, pushing the button had no effect. Upon opening the case, I noted that the amber led on the motherboard was lit and I saw the ethernet jack showing activity. Which is the most likely to be the culprit, the power supply or the motherboard? Thanks Dave Frandin.
I have an offlease-refurb'ed Precision M4400 laptop which frequently, when booting the system, shows the BIOS (version A29) progressbar at normal speed up to about 80%, at which time it slows down su... See more...
I have an offlease-refurb'ed Precision M4400 laptop which frequently, when booting the system, shows the BIOS (version A29) progressbar at normal speed up to about 80%, at which time it slows down such that to complete the initialization and handoff to boot takes close to 5 minutes. Once this completes the system boots fine into either Windows or Linux. Other than this issue the system has no other issues..  What is this slowness telling me?? Thanks Dave Frandin
Thanks for the answer.. I have looked at the Intel site for the card, but that does not tell me whether it will fit/work/electrically compatible with in a 1400... PCMCIA is not an option as the 1400 ... See more...
Thanks for the answer.. I have looked at the Intel site for the card, but that does not tell me whether it will fit/work/electrically compatible with in a 1400... PCMCIA is not an option as the 1400 does not have a PCMCIA slot, and Express is not an option for the same reason I don't want USB.. Don't care for stuff outside the laptop, which may get bent/broken off when operated mobile.. I'd hoped to get a reply from someone who has this card installed in a 1400... Sorry to sound snotty, but I was pretty clear in what I was asking..    
I'm looking to get my Vostro 1400 on the Clear wimax system, and do not want a USB dongle to access that service. I see that the Intel Wimax/Wifi 5350 miniPCe card supports Clear, and from what I can... See more...
I'm looking to get my Vostro 1400 on the Clear wimax system, and do not want a USB dongle to access that service. I see that the Intel Wimax/Wifi 5350 miniPCe card supports Clear, and from what I can see from the eBay auction I want to buy the unit from, it does work with some Dell laptops.. What I'd like to know before bidding on it, is: Will it work in the WWAN slot in my Vostro 1400??? Thanks Dave
I have a GX620 that does the exact same thing. With a power-down or hibernate, when the system goes down, the green power-switch lamp goes off, then a second later, the system powers back up on its o... See more...
I have a GX620 that does the exact same thing. With a power-down or hibernate, when the system goes down, the green power-switch lamp goes off, then a second later, the system powers back up on its own. When it first started, I truly believed it had to be related to the motherboard, so before the system went out of warantee, I managed to get Dell to replace the motherboard... No joy, still does it.. I'm living with it, by holding the power button down to force a power off. Could it be the front panel board or ribbon-cable feeding the front-panel board??? Love to get this fixed... Further note: this can't be an OS problem as I see it under XP, Vista, Win7RC, and Ubuntu (this machine has a flock of harddrives I swap in/out for the various OS)  Note to original poster: if you hold the power button down for 10 sec or so, in my case, the system does power off and stay off... Dave
I've got a Vostro 1400 and am trying to get the ethernet port to run at gigabit. In the past, I'd rarely used the ethernet port on the laptop vs the wifi, and the few times I have used it has been co... See more...
I've got a Vostro 1400 and am trying to get the ethernet port to run at gigabit. In the past, I'd rarely used the ethernet port on the laptop vs the wifi, and the few times I have used it has been connected to a 10/100 switch. Since I'm going to be running some Virtualbox virtual machines on the laptop, I bought a 10/100/1000 switch to allow me to move the 20+gb disk images between my Dell GX620 and the laptop in a timely manner. First thing I find is that I only see a 100mb connection under Ubuntu, thinking its just a misconfiguration, I try the the Vista sata drive in the system, same thing.. The system has a Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (Rev 02), and according to several websites I check, this is a gigabit adapter. I know the older 57xxx adapters are gigabit, as I get a gigabit link on the switch with the GX620, which has a 57xx.. Is this a driver issue with Dell disabling the gigabit support on this model adapter?
MBLOVE23: Sorry nobody replied, I'm sure you've given up on this thread by now, since you posted it nearly 10 months ago.. There seems to be a conspiricy of silence on this issue by Dell.. First so... See more...
MBLOVE23: Sorry nobody replied, I'm sure you've given up on this thread by now, since you posted it nearly 10 months ago.. There seems to be a conspiricy of silence on this issue by Dell.. First some facts: most of Intel's (and AMD's) current processors have the Virtual extensions, at least the Core2Duo/Quads do.. Since you have a Core2Quad, I'm betting it does.. The problem lies with Dell.. I read elsewhere where a question on this topic was escalated up to responsible management and the official stance was that home user systems (Inspiron etc) would not have the capability enabled, but on the other hand, corporate machines (Optiplex, Precision, etc) would.. In fact, the Optiplex 745/755 systems I have at work have that choice in the bios, however my personal laptop, a Vostro 1400, does not, and I know for a fact that the cpu in the Vostro and the Optiplex BOTH support the extensions. I had this fact slapped in my face when I installed the Win7RC on my Vostro, and tried to install the MS XP/Virtual PC virtual machine. I was told I didnt have the extensions, and of course, there is no way to turn them on the bios.. I'm gonna bet this is going to jump up and bite Dell really hard when Win7 is released, as I suspect a LOT of people are going to want to use that feature in Win7, and if they have a consumer Dell system, they are going to be out of luck... I also read where someone called Dell tier 1 support and was told it was turned off because with it on "your video card will burn up"... Oh how I love Dell tier 1 support... Just wanted to give you (and I'm sure many others, who are just now discovering this...) a heads up.... Just another reason to NEVER buy a Dell consumer machine... Optiplex's don't have this problem... Dave
The Pentium4/Core2Duo/Core2Quad processors used in all Dell machines since about the GX270/280 support EM64T extensions which means: They WILL run 64bit XP/Vista/Win7/Ubuntu JUST fine.. But Dell, in ... See more...
The Pentium4/Core2Duo/Core2Quad processors used in all Dell machines since about the GX270/280 support EM64T extensions which means: They WILL run 64bit XP/Vista/Win7/Ubuntu JUST fine.. But Dell, in their infinite "wisdom" has apparently decided to force us to continue to use outdated 32bit OS, at least if we want all the Dell-specific devices that these systems have... I just ran into this when trying to install the Win7 RC on a spare drive.. Since I have 4GB of ram, I figured the 64bit version would be fine... WRONG!! Nothing for 64bit Vista, which in the case of 32bit Vista drivers, should work fine with Win7... Extremely annoying.....