lloydb's Posts

lloydb's Posts

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7 and a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10 connected to router via Ethernet. Both recognize each other in Explorer but both give me "cannot access" wh... See more...
I have a Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7 and a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10 connected to router via Ethernet. Both recognize each other in Explorer but both give me "cannot access" when trying to view files in shared folders. Diagnostics gives me "missing network protocols" but doesn't tell me where to get and install said protocols. Is there a fix for this, or other troubleshooting steps?
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running 32-bit Vista. It has developed the "local only" (no internet) problem and none of the fixes I have found work. How exactly do I restore, refresh or whatever the ... See more...
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running 32-bit Vista. It has developed the "local only" (no internet) problem and none of the fixes I have found work. How exactly do I restore, refresh or whatever the OS? There is a recovery partition on the disk. I assume I would wind up with the original version, which means I would have to update the drivers, etc., (if I then have Internet access). Can I still do that, or has Microsoft totally abandoned Vista? Plan B would be to move to Windows 7. Would this require buying the program with a valid product key? Any suggestions?
I want to install an SSD in my Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7. I believe I can make it bootable, download Windows 7 and and install it on the SSD, giving it the product key from my current OS. T... See more...
I want to install an SSD in my Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7. I believe I can make it bootable, download Windows 7 and and install it on the SSD, giving it the product key from my current OS. This will leave all my programs and documents on the old hard drive, which is what I want. But another copy of Windows 7 will also remain on the old disk. Should I delete it to reclaim the space and avoid any confusion to the system? If so, how do I do that?
Thank you. In that case, they ripped me off so that I would buy a $40 case from them. It will be the last thing. I could have saved a lot of time and money putting my new Asus motherboard and AMD FX4... See more...
Thank you. In that case, they ripped me off so that I would buy a $40 case from them. It will be the last thing. I could have saved a lot of time and money putting my new Asus motherboard and AMD FX4100 processor in the old Dell case, which already had all the drives I need. I also combined what was left of the 4600 with a 3100 so that I have a spare Ubuntu computer that dual boots with Windows XP. That is the one with the CD drive recognition problems. Again, thanks rdunnill and others
But can you replace it with a micro board from Asus or Broadcom or whatever? I was told you can't. Only Dell motherboards will fit in Dell cases. (That came from a tech at CompUSA)
I don't think it is the PCI driver. And I can find XP drivers for CD drives. But how can I install a driver if the Device Manager can't even see the drive? I don't think it is a driver problem. I'm d... See more...
I don't think it is the PCI driver. And I can find XP drivers for CD drives. But how can I install a driver if the Device Manager can't even see the drive? I don't think it is a driver problem. I'm darned if I know what it could be. I can't fathom how a motherboard and BIOS can "lose" a device it used before. I don't care that much about Windows because I may wipe it anyway but It is a problem if Ubuntu can't find and use the drives. (On the other hand I probably could buy an IDE burner cheap and put it in but if it doesn't recognize that either, then what/) What really perturbs me is that Dell makes their cases so that you can't replace the mother board. What's up with that, anyway?
Well, the $5 cable from Radio Shack didn't help. According to Device Manager PCI Simple Communications Controller is missing a driver and doesn't work. I think that has something to do with the drive... See more...
Well, the $5 cable from Radio Shack didn't help. According to Device Manager PCI Simple Communications Controller is missing a driver and doesn't work. I think that has something to do with the drives, but I don't know where to get a driver. I have an external CD and could install it if I had one. I'm getting a headache.
I amsure both work and have tried both drives individually at the end connection. I even updated to the latest BIOS. The setup does says no CD installed and does not give me an option to boot to one.... See more...
I amsure both work and have tried both drives individually at the end connection. I even updated to the latest BIOS. The setup does says no CD installed and does not give me an option to boot to one. I'm also thinking cable at this point and I'm getting ready to go to Radio Shack, which is nearby. Not sure they will even carry old gear like that. I can get it online for 50 cents but probably $5 to ship. Thanks for the response.
Both are set as CS, which is what all the material I have read recommends for most products but especially Dell.
My 4600 running Windows XP (and now dual botting with Ubuntu) can't read my two CD drives. One is the original drive. What I did was put in a hard drive from an older dell and it runs OK. At one time... See more...
My 4600 running Windows XP (and now dual botting with Ubuntu) can't read my two CD drives. One is the original drive. What I did was put in a hard drive from an older dell and it runs OK. At one time it did recognize the drive, after I did a regedit. But then I swapped that drive out for a DVD burner, which wouldn't work. Swapped back and the original wouldn't work. Now I have both in there. The jumpers are right, the ribbon cables are connected tight. Both have power, but the computer BIOS won't recognize them and neither will Windows. I removed anything that might conflict, like Nero and Power DVD. I'm stumped. Anybody?
I have a Dimension 4600 someone gave me. Replaced the OS with Linux and it runs fine, but the 150 gig disk has bad sectors and is a bit small. Can I replace it with a 3.5 Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive?... See more...
I have a Dimension 4600 someone gave me. Replaced the OS with Linux and it runs fine, but the 150 gig disk has bad sectors and is a bit small. Can I replace it with a 3.5 Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive? I think it will fit; what I'm asking is can the motherboard and power supply handle it?
My Dimension 3100 has run out of room. I want to move to a 320 gig SATA drive. This is slightly above my pay grade. I have ATA storage controllers, according to Device Manager. Is this doable, withou... See more...
My Dimension 3100 has run out of room. I want to move to a 320 gig SATA drive. This is slightly above my pay grade. I have ATA storage controllers, according to Device Manager. Is this doable, without any other new hardware? How difficult is transfering my data to the new disk? Will it require a new power supply?
Code 10 is Code Blue. The drive is dead (probably the lens). Both my drives went out thusly, but only the DVD function. Both still will do CDs. Nevertheless, I bought an external DVD writer.
Easy fix: Buy a Soundblaster Audigy card for about $40. Did that with my Dimension 3100 and now I have great sound, and full duplex.