pbdude_123's Posts

pbdude_123's Posts

The audio on my tablet works just fine for everything, except Skype.  I can't even hear the recorded voice when I make a Skype Test Call.  Tried reinstalling Skype, but no luck.  I'm running Android ... See more...
The audio on my tablet works just fine for everything, except Skype.  I can't even hear the recorded voice when I make a Skype Test Call.  Tried reinstalling Skype, but no luck.  I'm running Android 4.3.  Is there some kind of incompatibility problem with Intel powered Android tablets and Skype?  My ARM powered $69 Walmart Tablet runs Skype just fine.
I installed all the updates on my Mini 9 and it still freezes sometimes.  The updated didn't change the occasional freeze ups.  It seems to freeze up after I use it for a long time.  I think it may b... See more...
I installed all the updates on my Mini 9 and it still freezes sometimes.  The updated didn't change the occasional freeze ups.  It seems to freeze up after I use it for a long time.  I think it may be a heat problem.  The vent on the bottom gets blocked fairly easily.  Maybe it doesn't get enough air circulation.  Sometimes I prop the back of the it with a pen, to get better air circulation.  That seems to help.  I might try using some stick on rubber feet to make the computer sit higher.  That would also provide better air circulation.  It couldn't hurt and it's a cheap fix. By the way, how big is your SSD drive?  Mine is 8gb with Ubuntu Linux installed..  The Linux updates don't take very much space at all, maybe 500mb at the most.    My drive has never been over 50% full.  The patches don't take up that much space.  It could be a problem with a 4gb SSD drive though.  If you are running XP, then I really don't know how much space the patches take. If you have a 16gb SSD drive, you should have plenty of room. I thought about upgrading my SSD drive to 16 or 32gb, but that would probably cause more heat.  Upgrading the RAM to 2gb would create more heat too.  I think more heat would make it freeze up even more.  Upgrading from 4gb to 8gb would be a good idea though.  I've seen cheap used 8gb SSD drives on eBay before.  For now, I plan to leave the SSD and RAM alone.  Now I need to spend my money on a new battery.  Mine went bad after 10 months and now it won't charge at all.  I just get alternating flashing AC and Battery lights on the front and a BIOS error message saying it can't recognize the battery.  I might go with an 8 cell battery from Amazon.  It would double the battery capacity and raise up the back to get better air circulation.
I checked into this a while back.  My wife's laptop came with Vista and no recovery disks.  There was an online way to request replacement recovery disks from Dell, but I don't have the link anymore.... See more...
I checked into this a while back.  My wife's laptop came with Vista and no recovery disks.  There was an online way to request replacement recovery disks from Dell, but I don't have the link anymore.  You need to give Dell support the Service Tag number from your computer to get them.  The Service Tag number is probably located on the bottom of the laptop.  She should try sending an email to support@dell.com with her service tag number and ask about discs.  They can probably email her a link to the proper website to request them.  Either that or try downloading Windows 7 RC1, burn it to a CD, install it and trying that until next March when it expires.  
Besides the Fortune command, there are also some ASCII text based games from the old days.  There is a text based Backgammon game that was pretty good called 'btlgammon' or 'backgammon' depending on ... See more...
Besides the Fortune command, there are also some ASCII text based games from the old days.  There is a text based Backgammon game that was pretty good called 'btlgammon' or 'backgammon' depending on the OS.  Once you figure out the keyboard strokes, it's pretty good.  I have yet to find a good graphical based Backgammon game for Linux.  You can install these free text based games of old in the Synaptic Package Manager under "Games and Amusement (universe)" and it's called 'bsdgames'.  Beware of the 'backgammon' game though.  Whoever wrote this program is a sore loser.  The computer starts to load the dice if it starts losing.  
Thanks for your post.  After reading that, I probably won't be buying a 64 bit version of Windows 7.  The only real advantage I see with a 64 bit OS is to address more than 3gb of RAM.  For me, 2gb o... See more...
Thanks for your post.  After reading that, I probably won't be buying a 64 bit version of Windows 7.  The only real advantage I see with a 64 bit OS is to address more than 3gb of RAM.  For me, 2gb of RAM is plenty, even for virtualization.  Having 2 identical dual channel 1gb memory modules is plenty for home use.  It even works great with VMWare and 1 or 2 virtual clients.  Heck, Ubuntu Linux runs great with only 1gb of memory and no swap file.  
Open Office 3.0 is supposed to be compatible with Office 2007.  I've had limited success using Open Office though.  WINE is a program that is supposed to let you run Windows programs with Linux.  Nev... See more...
Open Office 3.0 is supposed to be compatible with Office 2007.  I've had limited success using Open Office though.  WINE is a program that is supposed to let you run Windows programs with Linux.  Never tried it.  But NO,  Linux can't run Microsoft Office 2007,  Sorry.
I had similar error messages over the past 2 weeks.  I tried running the Update Manager today and now it works.  Give it another shot.  I think it will work this time.  
The 16gb Sandisk Ultra II SD cards seem to be the best bang for the buck.  At $30 it's hard to beat them.  Dell want's double that when you order a new Netbook, but Amazon has them for a good price. ... See more...
The 16gb Sandisk Ultra II SD cards seem to be the best bang for the buck.  At $30 it's hard to beat them.  Dell want's double that when you order a new Netbook, but Amazon has them for a good price.  I have two 8gb SD cards and a 4gb sd card.  I recommend going for the 16gb Ultra II card instead of a bunch of smaller SD cards that you have to swap.  My Mini 9 only has 8gb of SSD hard drive space.  A 16gb SSD would triple my storage with no hassle.  It's hard to beat. One thing to consider is the speed of the SD card.  There are Class 2, Class 4 and Class 6 cards as well as 100x, 150x, 200x, etc...  Some cards have no class.  Heck, there are even Ultra III and Extreme IV SD cards, at a price!  I think the Ultra II SD cards are plenty fast at 15mbs.  Heck, if Dell's BIOS would let me, I'd probably install a bootable version of Xubuntu Linux on my SD card.  That would be way cool.  
Vista has a 15gb minimum disk space requirement and reccomends 1gb of RAM.  Does your Mini 9 meet those minimum system requirements?  Mine doesn't.  XP Home Edition might run with 8gb of disk space a... See more...
Vista has a 15gb minimum disk space requirement and reccomends 1gb of RAM.  Does your Mini 9 meet those minimum system requirements?  Mine doesn't.  XP Home Edition might run with 8gb of disk space and 512mb of RAM.   Here's a suggestion.  Why not try switching to the Mist Theme under System/Appearance.  At least it has a blue color and looks more similar to Windows 98.  Either that, or try switching to the KDE desktop environment in the Synaptic Package Manager.  KDE is more Windows Like.  I agree that the ugly brown/orange default Ubuntu GNOME desktop environment is kind of dull.
If you got a recovery DVD with your computer, try installing that.  Make sure to backup your data to a thumb drive or SD card before you wipe your hard drive though.  If you didn't order a USB DVD dr... See more...
If you got a recovery DVD with your computer, try installing that.  Make sure to backup your data to a thumb drive or SD card before you wipe your hard drive though.  If you didn't order a USB DVD drive with your computer, you'll need to borrow one from a friend.  
Try installing FireFox and use that instead of Internet Explorer.  If that doesn't work, try Opera, Mozilla, Enigma, Netscape or one of the other alternatives to Internet Explorer.
I had problems switching between Windows and Ubuntu.  Get ahold of a Knoppix bootable Linux CD.  Boot from it and it has a command line program similar to Fdisk.  Knoppix will let you delete all part... See more...
I had problems switching between Windows and Ubuntu.  Get ahold of a Knoppix bootable Linux CD.  Boot from it and it has a command line program similar to Fdisk.  Knoppix will let you delete all partitions from your hard drive and start fresh again.  That's what I had to do.  It seems like there is a conflict between Grub and MBR boot loaders.  Knoppix was the only way I could boot my computer and totally wipe my hard drive.  If that doesn't work, try a bootable Slackware CD to wipe your hard drive clean. Good Luck!  
I had problems running 9.04 with VMWare too.  It's good I read this message board tonight.  I won't be installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my Mini 9 any time soon. Thanks!
Thanks for posting that.  I considered upgrading to 9.04, but now I'll stick with 8.04 LTS. 
Try using the Synoptic Package Manager to uninstall PulseAudio and install Esound instead.  That's how I fixed Skype on my Mini 9.
Hey, thanks for posting that.  I was considering buying a Mini 12 once Windows 7 comes out.  If it isn't compatible with Vista then it will have problems may Windows 7 too.  Now I have a Dell Mini 9 ... See more...
Hey, thanks for posting that.  I was considering buying a Mini 12 once Windows 7 comes out.  If it isn't compatible with Vista then it will have problems may Windows 7 too.  Now I have a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux.  I'm pretty happy with it except for the tiny keyboard and small screen.  It's a tradeoff for light weight and portability though.  I considered a 13 inch Macbook, but it weighs double and costs over 3 times more.  The Dell Mini 10 looks good, but it isn't available with Ubuntu Linux.  Why not?  I guess I'll hold out for a new 10 inch Netbook with an Intel Atom 2ghz processor with a 32gb SSD hard drive, 2gb of RAM and a 'normal' keyboard.  Maybe the HP1000 will be available like that. 
Has ANYBODY had a GOOD experience with Vista?  Not me!  I can't believe Dell stopped shipping XP when I ordered a new laptop for my wife for Christmas.  Geez.   I saw an Old Version of XP on Amazon... See more...
Has ANYBODY had a GOOD experience with Vista?  Not me!  I can't believe Dell stopped shipping XP when I ordered a new laptop for my wife for Christmas.  Geez.   I saw an Old Version of XP on Amazon.com today for $49.   http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Old-Version/dp/B00005MOTH/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1241964017&sr=1-12 Legitimate versions of XP are getting pricey and they are disappearing fast.  If you really want XP you should buy it soon.  This one says it's the Old Version.  That means you'll have to download XP SP1, SP2 and SP3 as well has a hundred patches after you install it.  If you want a newer version that includes SP3, it will cost over 3 times as much.  Ouch! You might also consider switching to Linux.  Linux is FREE Open Source.  Dell recommends Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS.  You can download the ISO file for free here, burn it to a CD, then boot from the CD to install it: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download The only problem with Linux is that you can't run Microsoft Office.  If you don't like Linux, you can always reinstall Vista.  Another option would be to install Windows 7 Release Candidate 1.  It's a 1 year trial of Microsoft's latest OS Windows 7.  It fixes some of Vista's bugs.  I tried it and YES, it is better than Vista.  Download it here for free: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx
Back in the old UNiX command line days, there was no graphical interface.  I used to get pretty bored doing backups to stacks of 10 inch magtape reels on the night shift.  One form of entertainment I... See more...
Back in the old UNiX command line days, there was no graphical interface.  I used to get pretty bored doing backups to stacks of 10 inch magtape reels on the night shift.  One form of entertainment I found was the Fortune Cookie program under /usr/games/fortune.  If you typed 'fortune' from the command line, a fortune or saying would be displayed.  This feature was not included with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, but it is available through the Synaptic Package Manager under Games and Amusement (universe) as 'fortunes'.   Ok, now here is the good part.  If you type 'man fortune' it will display the manual or help pages for the 'fortune' command line.  One little know feature of the 'fortune' command is the 'fortune -o' option.  This will display offensive fortunes.  Offensive fortunes used to be a standard option in the old days.  Nowadays, many vendors omit the offensive 'fortune -o' option, because they don't want to offend their customers.  Well, here is how you can get it.  Just below 'fortunes' in the Synaptic Package Manager is another package called 'fortunes-off'.  This is a database containing the offensive fortunes that I missed for so long.  Yea!  Now I just open a terminal window and type 'fortune -o' anytime I want to be insulted or offended.  Some of these are pretty funny.  
I got a set of Logitech S-150 speakers that connect to the computer with a USB cable.  Ubuntu Linux does not recognize them.  They work ok on a PC and on a Mac, but not with Ubuntu Linux on my Mini 9... See more...
I got a set of Logitech S-150 speakers that connect to the computer with a USB cable.  Ubuntu Linux does not recognize them.  They work ok on a PC and on a Mac, but not with Ubuntu Linux on my Mini 9n.  Logitech support says that they only support using these speakers with Windows systems.  Is there anybody out there who uses USB speakers with Ubuntu Linux on a Dell System?  How can I get these to work?
I agree.  It's getting more and more difficult to find Ubuntu Linux systems on the Dell website.  Why?  Is it a Microsoft conspiracy?  Sure, Microsoft wants to force everybody into using Vista wether... See more...
I agree.  It's getting more and more difficult to find Ubuntu Linux systems on the Dell website.  Why?  Is it a Microsoft conspiracy?  Sure, Microsoft wants to force everybody into using Vista wether they like it or not.  But I thought Dell had more backbone than that.