Roveer's Posts

Roveer's Posts

Here's an update to my saga. Today I tried "resetting idrac" from the idrac main menu.  Then powered down, removed power, held power button to drain flee power and reboot.  Same result, still getti... See more...
Here's an update to my saga. Today I tried "resetting idrac" from the idrac main menu.  Then powered down, removed power, held power button to drain flee power and reboot.  Same result, still getting the errors.  I then decided to power off, move the h710 to another slot and restart.  Initially it didn't seem to make any difference, still getting errors.  I then rebooted, went into raid setup (cntrl-r) exited, rebooted and let it sit a bit.  Now I am once again seeing all the drive parameters and no longer getting and RAC errors. I'm in the process of putting the raid controller back in it's original slot and will see what happens next. Not sure what caused this problem or what exactly fixed this problem, but It seems that I have a workable setup again.  Very strange. ---update--- I moved the H170 back to slot 6, did a reboot, went into array setup, rebooted again No Joy. The idrac inventory shows array controller moving from slot 4 to slot 6, all the drives show up as well as the enclosure (in system inventory in idrac), but going to storage in idrac still shows RAC0501 and RAC0503. I moved the controller back to slot 4 and rebooted and now all the stastics show up under the storage section. So either I have a problem with slot 6 (which has had the controller for over a year), or something is corrupted in data held for this device.  Is there something I can clear to get it to forget anything it might have known about what was in slot 6?  That's where I'd really like the H710 controller to be since its away from the other controllers and does generate a fair amount of heat.
Seems like I might have bigger problems.  On Tuesday I did a shutdown (power off), removed the power cord for a minute, restarted.  Since then when going into the storage section of idrac I get an er... See more...
Seems like I might have bigger problems.  On Tuesday I did a shutdown (power off), removed the power cord for a minute, restarted.  Since then when going into the storage section of idrac I get an error RAC0501.  Also notice the recent log entries are from 2016.  That seems very strange.  This is the first time I'm seeing this.  on Monday I could see all the storage options, since the power off I can't.  Any ideas what I can do to resolve this?  I haven't had any time to research the error yet. ----update---- I looked around a bit and see others have had the same problem.  Seems like the way to fix is to do a idrac reset, power off, drain flee power and restart.  I vaguely remember having to do this once before.  I'll give it a try and report back.
from idrac it does NOT show up in the pd section, yet in the array controller cntr-r at boot, it shows up there, and on the ld it shows as on-line not degraded like it used to.
I received the new drive today.  I put it in the enclosure.  It started flashing, the Orange LCD display turned back to blue, the orange light on the back of the box turned blue. In idrac it still ... See more...
I received the new drive today.  I put it in the enclosure.  It started flashing, the Orange LCD display turned back to blue, the orange light on the back of the box turned blue. In idrac it still does not show the drive installed on physical disks, and the logical disk still shows degraded. What more should I be doing? ---update--- I rebooted into h710 setup and it shows the replaced drive and everything looks fine. I then rebooted and let the OS load up and then went back to idrac.  The LD shows online (no longer degraded), but the PD still does not show the drive.  Not what I was expecting...
I have a H710 array controller in a T320 server. Boot is set up as Raid 1 with 2 drives mirrored. Data is set up as Raid 10 with 6 drives. Last week one of the Boot partition Raid 1 drives fail... See more...
I have a H710 array controller in a T320 server. Boot is set up as Raid 1 with 2 drives mirrored. Data is set up as Raid 10 with 6 drives. Last week one of the Boot partition Raid 1 drives failed (drive 0).  The server continues to operate in a degraded fashion.  I have a replacement drive arriving today. I want to know the correct method to replace this drive without screwing up the second drive.  Obviousely I have to install the new drive in the first slot, but what do I need to do with the controller in order to re-establish the raid 1 without losing the array? Thanks.
I found a work-around. (my own)... If I install Server 2012R2 it gives me a USB 3.0 platform.  from within 2012 I installed 2008R2 and it worked. I did have to use 2012 one more time into repair/... See more...
I found a work-around. (my own)... If I install Server 2012R2 it gives me a USB 3.0 platform.  from within 2012 I installed 2008R2 and it worked. I did have to use 2012 one more time into repair/dos window because I forgot to pull over all the 2008 drivers. Once I did that I was able to delete windows.old and now I have a fully functional 2008R2 on an Optiplex 7040.   Sure was easier than all that dism stuff.
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver File Name: Chipset_Driver_THW37_WN32_4.0.4.51_A02_01.EXE Because I'm using another server 2008R2 and I want a similar interface experience.... See more...
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver File Name: Chipset_Driver_THW37_WN32_4.0.4.51_A02_01.EXE Because I'm using another server 2008R2 and I want a similar interface experience.  My fallback is 2012 R2 but I'm not loving the interface. Understood that the Optiplex is not meant for server use. 
So, trying to install Win Server 2008 R2 on an Optiplex witch is all USB 3.0  Using legacy boot it will boot the installer and NOT freeze at the main screen.  But when it gets to the drives screen it... See more...
So, trying to install Win Server 2008 R2 on an Optiplex witch is all USB 3.0  Using legacy boot it will boot the installer and NOT freeze at the main screen.  But when it gets to the drives screen it says it needs a driver but won't recognize anything because it needs a driver to recognize the HD and needs a driver to recognize anything plugged into the USB 3.0 ports. I've spent 2 solid days looking at and trying different things including the dell software patcher (the one that uses powershell).  It works great.  Slipstreams usb 3.0 drivers into the server build, but when I boot it ti DOES freeze at the main page because it's taken away the drivers that the keyboard and mouse use. Is there anything else I can try to get this to work?  Am I using the wrong driver?  I've tried drivers that came with the driver update utility.  I've tried drivers from intel's website.  All cause the main screen to be locked up with no mouse/keyboard. I've tried manual usb 3.0 insertion (same result). Any other way I can get this to work? I can use server 2012 R2 (which has 3.0 drivers and hdd drivers and see's the HDD right away, but I'd prefer to use server 2008. Thanks
So I found a bug?  I think that might be a first for me.  I just created a subscription using the following instructions:  http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN156799/EN#Email This is... See more...
So I found a bug?  I think that might be a first for me.  I just created a subscription using the following instructions:  http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN156799/EN#Email This is one that I'd like to squash.  Thanks.
No it has never become unresponsive.  I've been setting up a MS Server and as a result have been doing a lot of reboots, backups, restores etc (so that I am ready for possible restores etc).  I'm rea... See more...
No it has never become unresponsive.  I've been setting up a MS Server and as a result have been doing a lot of reboots, backups, restores etc (so that I am ready for possible restores etc).  I'm really putting it through its paces. I've only reset iDRAC as a result of the suggestion above. I think a saw this problem after removing power to the server or making a change in the lifecycle controller. What puzzles me is that when I go back into the thermal section of the iDRAC config its set properly at Offset / Low.  The server is just not setting that speed after a removal of power or trip through lifecycle (or some combination). My concern is that I need that particular fan setting in order to keep my drive array cool enough and if some strange event occurs and the fan go to the lowest setting I'm concerned that I will damage my HDD subsystem.
I tried resetting iDRAC to defaults, reconfigured, set my fan speed.  Came back about 5 hours later and when I tried to log into iDRAC it just got the spinning verifying credentials.  I shutdown the ... See more...
I tried resetting iDRAC to defaults, reconfigured, set my fan speed.  Came back about 5 hours later and when I tried to log into iDRAC it just got the spinning verifying credentials.  I shutdown the computer, pulled the plug, held the power button for a few seconds and plugged it back in.  When I powered it on, the fan went to the lowest speed (where you can't even hear it).  I had to go back into the lifecycle controller and do the whole deal (from my original post) to get the fan speed back to override/low again. Doesn't seemed to have worked.
I've got a T320 (Firmware up to date on everything) with 8 drives.  I've found I need to set the fan (Thermal) to "override/ low" setting in order to keep the drives from getting too warm.  High sett... See more...
I've got a T320 (Firmware up to date on everything) with 8 drives.  I've found I need to set the fan (Thermal) to "override/ low" setting in order to keep the drives from getting too warm.  High setting sounds like a hair dryer, low setting is reasonable and keeps the drives cool. I've noticed that at certain times (a little hard to determine exactly when), but I believe when I've reset the idrac controller and possibly during an full power removal that when I re power the server that the fan speed is very low (inaudible).  No amount of rebooting seems to remedy the problem.  I find the only way to restore my "override/low" speed is to go back into the life-cycle controller, go to the thermal section where I find my original fan setting in tact, set it to high, back out and save (fan spins up), then go back in, set the fan to low, back out, save (fan spins down to the low setting that I actually want, then exit. This seems to be the only way to restore the low fan speed. Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?  Can't seem to find fan speed settings anywhere in the idrac controller interface, only in the life-cycle controller.  True? Help me understand this behavior.  My thoughts are once the server is on the shelf, this won't be a real issue, but right now it's troubling me.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  After I made my initial post I went on a hunt, this time taking more time to read what each of those files was about.  I also read about how to manage ... See more...
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  After I made my initial post I went on a hunt, this time taking more time to read what each of those files was about.  I also read about how to manage your system and came to the same result that you provided.  In my case since I'm using SBS 2011 which is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 which is a 64 bit OS, I used the OpenManager Server Administrator (Managed Node) 64 bit version. After installing, I also installed the Dell iDRAC Service Module so I could link the server into the iDrac controller. I'm now moving on to setting up the alerts and doing some hardware fail testing. Is there anything else I should be looking at installing? Thanks for the replies. Roveer
I'm going to start by saying I'm a bit miffed by the "Systems Management" area in the downloads section for my T320 in the support section of the website.  It lists 42 different files.  I'm lost... ... See more...
I'm going to start by saying I'm a bit miffed by the "Systems Management" area in the downloads section for my T320 in the support section of the website.  It lists 42 different files.  I'm lost... I've got fresh T320 with SBS 2011 fully patched and running clean.  I now want to add what ever Dell management and diagnostic software that I should be using. I was unable to install OS with the lifecycle controller because SBS 2011 is no longer listed.  Was that a probelm?  Did I do something wrong?  Instead I installed from MS Media and individually installed all necessary drivers. I now want to install whatever else is necessary in order to monitor my server, Specifically monitor my 2 raid arrays and notify me if there are failures/errors. I need some hand holding here.  The file names in that list of 43 is daunting.  I am not used to all the Dell nomenclature but can usually follow along. Can someone please give me some guidance on what I should install from that huge list.  So many things sound alike and repeat themselves I don't know what to install. Tried a few times during my test builds and run into lots of problems.  I think some well described guidance is all I need.  Thanks for your help. Roveer
I have been test installing windows server 2008 R2 on my T320 with a H710 controller and find I'm still missing drivers. I read that Server Update Utility will help with this.  Right now I'm downlo... See more...
I have been test installing windows server 2008 R2 on my T320 with a H710 controller and find I'm still missing drivers. I read that Server Update Utility will help with this.  Right now I'm downloading a 7.2GB ISO called SUU-64_15.04.200.108 which says it's for 12th generation servers and 64 bit OS. Can anyone confirm that I am using the correct utility or if I should be using something else?  There are so many drivers, management packages, 32 bit 64 bit 12th gen 13th gen etc it's mighty confusing.  I'm just trying to get a W2008R2 server that has all the latest drivers.  Is there a install guide someplace that walks you through what dell files you should get and how you should install them with the OS? Thanks, Roveer
I've just purchased my first Dell server, a T320 for my very small office.  It will be running MS SBS 2011 for data storage and on-site hosted exchange. I've got 2 Raid arrays for boot and data on ... See more...
I've just purchased my first Dell server, a T320 for my very small office.  It will be running MS SBS 2011 for data storage and on-site hosted exchange. I've got 2 Raid arrays for boot and data on a H710 card. I ordered the server with basic management but am currently running the idrac7 enterprise trial.  I do not think I will upgrade to the enterprise when the trial runs out as I don't really need the remote screen/control capabilities but I'm still considering it. So, my question is this, I'm a bit confused by all the "management" software that Dell has. Exactly what should I be installing on my windows server?  OpenManage?  If so, what part?  Server Administrator? On my old server I had an adaptec raid controller which gave the ability to send an email if it found a fault with one of the drives.  Does Dell have any such thing?  From my searches I've found that people are coddling together solutions to do this.  Is it built in anywhere? Still confused by all the different pieces that I keep coming across.  Hope someone can straighten me out.  Thanks, Roveer
Trying to get iDrac7 configured.  Bought basic support.  Does that allow me to do remote administration of server (KVM style).  Thought the feature matrix said that it does.  When trying to configure... See more...
Trying to get iDrac7 configured.  Bought basic support.  Does that allow me to do remote administration of server (KVM style).  Thought the feature matrix said that it does.  When trying to configure through lifecycle it says "no license".  Do I have to purchase a license?  Do I already have one? Need help understanding this and what I have or need.  Thanks. Roveer
I'm setting up my system and want to stress test the disks.  It came with 2 disks in a raid 1 and I temporarily put a windows server on it so I could run some utilities.  Turns out in order to get to... See more...
I'm setting up my system and want to stress test the disks.  It came with 2 disks in a raid 1 and I temporarily put a windows server on it so I could run some utilities.  Turns out in order to get to all of the drives I need to assign them as Raid 0 VD's in order to surface test them. Can I break the Raid 1, make the first disk that still has the windows server on it it's own VD raid 0 and then assign the second disk to it's own raid 0 VD? If I can't than I'll just wipe the array, set up the disks and have to reinstall the OS.  Not the end of the world.  Was hoping to save a few hours. Roveer
I've got a T320 with a H710 card.  I want to stress test the drives before I install my OS.  Is there a good tool to do that?  If not, what can I use with Server 2008 R2 that would test my drives? ... See more...
I've got a T320 with a H710 card.  I want to stress test the drives before I install my OS.  Is there a good tool to do that?  If not, what can I use with Server 2008 R2 that would test my drives? If there is no way to test pre-os, what utility should I use after I install Windows Server 2008 R2? Thanks, Roveer
I found a fairly old utility called "Ultimate Boot CD" which contains a lot of compact utilities and boots under a small linux os.  It contains Memtest86+ which seems to have identified my machine an... See more...
I found a fairly old utility called "Ultimate Boot CD" which contains a lot of compact utilities and boots under a small linux os.  It contains Memtest86+ which seems to have identified my machine and all of it's memory and is now running through it's tests. Hopefully some of the disk utilities will allow me to stress test the HD's as well. Here's where I found it: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ Roveer