theDave's Posts

theDave's Posts

I ordered my XPS 9000 on 10/25/09 and received it on 11/18/09 and I thought that was slow considering my previous Dell 8200 and 8300 desktops were received within 7 working days. Only problems so f... See more...
I ordered my XPS 9000 on 10/25/09 and received it on 11/18/09 and I thought that was slow considering my previous Dell 8200 and 8300 desktops were received within 7 working days. Only problems so far:  The Nvidia GT220 driver 8.15.11.8627 blacks out for a moment sometimes.  I've upgraded to the latest 1.9107 driver but that messed up the Window's Live Photo gallery's zoom and pan slideshows (stutters) so I'm back to the original video driver for now. Two of the top access USB ports don't seem to recognize my external hard drives.  The top headphone jack cuts off intermittently even when securely plugged in. Start up/shut off time (to conserve energy) has improved noticeably to 85s/6s compared to my old Dell desktops with XP. So far, so good.  Good luck to folks still waiting on their orders!
I've been hesitating to install sp2 in my study's Dell 8300 (XP home, sp1, NIS 2006) until last week when I noticed my guest room's Dell 8200 (XP home, sp2 (auto downloaded), NAV 2004) had a fa... See more...
I've been hesitating to install sp2 in my study's Dell 8300 (XP home, sp1, NIS 2006) until last week when I noticed my guest room's Dell 8200 (XP home, sp2 (auto downloaded), NAV 2004) had a faster down/upload speed via wireless LAN (3653/401 kbps).  BAD MISTAKE! Now I had just upgraded my 8300's NIS 2005 to 2006 2 weeks ago via download (there are 2x $20 rebates effective until 12-31-05. Net price:=$9.95).  NO PROBLEMS with sp1.  Startup increased from 42sec. to 50sec. (all tray icons loaded).  Eager to increase my broadband speed, I installed the sp2 on my 8300.  Startup increased to about 90+ sec. (the NIS icons took forever to load) and the whole system became very slow.  Yes, I did disable the Windows firewall and deleted the pita MSN messenger. (The broadband speed did increase to 3712/412 from 2673/408 kbps.)  I never leave my systems on all the time due to intruder risks so MY SOLUTION was: System Restore to time before sp2 install.  Now my 8300 (sp1) is once again fast at startup and shutdown with nothing to slow it down during usage. Conclusion: sp2 + NIS 2006 = slow, lethargic, and crash prone. Good luck!       Message Edited by theDave on 12-28-2005 03:04 PM
Post deleted: dupe. Message Edited by theDave on 12-28-2005 03:19 PM
I used to use Bootvis to optimize without a problem.  After several recent Windows critical updates, Bootvis didn't work anymore:  "Timeout Error!  Bootvis is unable to complete the defrag".  My boot... See more...
I used to use Bootvis to optimize without a problem.  After several recent Windows critical updates, Bootvis didn't work anymore:  "Timeout Error!  Bootvis is unable to complete the defrag".  My bootup time from pressing power button to all taskbar icons loaded went from 38s to 51s (with NAV and NIS icons taking a long time and loading last instead of first).  I tried to do a System Restore to an earlier date but couldn't so I ended up doing a Upgrade Reinstall/Repair. What I found out after reading the "Fast System Startup for PCs running Windows.doc":  the OPTIMIZE function of Bootvis is actually a normal Win XP function during IDLE periods.  Now I just use Bootvis to measure startup times/processes.  To OPTIMZE: I simply let the system idle with screensaver for 10-15min.  Currently my startup time is back to ~37s. Good Luck!
I used to use Bootvis to optimize without a problem.  After several recent Windows critical updates, the same thing happened to me:  Timeout Error!  My bootup time from pressing power button to all t... See more...
I used to use Bootvis to optimize without a problem.  After several recent Windows critical updates, the same thing happened to me:  Timeout Error!  My bootup time from pressing power button to all taskbar icons loaded went from 38s to 51s (with NAV and NIS taking a long time).  What I found out after reading the "Fast System Startup for PCs running Windows.doc":  the OPTIMIZE function of Bootvis is actually a normal Win XP function during IDLE periods.  Now I just use Bootvis to measure startup times/processes.  To OPTIMZE: I simply let the system idle with screensaver for 10-15min.  Currently my startup time is back to ~37s. Good Luck!   Message Edited by theDave on 08-01-2004 07:27 PM
Your inability to connect to the internet is dependent on the BRAND of the router and adapters that you're using.  I had the SAME problem and here's how it was resolved: Using a D-Link DI-624 as th... See more...
Your inability to connect to the internet is dependent on the BRAND of the router and adapters that you're using.  I had the SAME problem and here's how it was resolved: Using a D-Link DI-624 as the wireless router/access point for my home network, I got my laptop linked up fairly easily but connecting to the net with a second desktop using a wireless adapter (DWL-G520) took some trial and error. I followed the manual's instructions (with latest drivers/firmwares) and got WIRELESS CONNECTION on the PC BUT CAN'T ACCESS the INTERNET! Here's what I finally did to make it work (the wireless linked PC is a Dell 8200 running WinXP): Removed the wireless adapter from a PCI slot close to the fax/modem. Uninstalled first software install. Rebooted. Reinstalled DWL-G520 software. Shut off PC. Reinstalled wireless adapter in an empty PCI slot farther away from the fax/modem. Turn on PC, hardware detected. Install the NEWEST driver that was downloaded previously via ethernet on my new Dell 8300. MAKE SURE the ROUTER DI-624 is properly configured!!! I had enabled WEP (write down the KEY!) and used the MAC filter (only the MACs of my router and ethernet/wireless adapters CAN access my network). I also disabled SSID broadcast (I can detect several of my neighbors' SSIDs with WEP disabled). MOST Importantly the DHCP server was enabled with just enough starting to ending IP addresses for the number of computers in my network. NOW enter ALL necessary info of the network using the DWL-G520 config. utility. Click the WinXP network icon for wireless networks avail. Check your network, enter the WEP key and........FINALLY, access to the internet!!! It took some time to dial in my preferences but now my downstairs wireless PC is 1532/243 kbps down/up with a LOW (38%)signal. Please note:  my solution was BRAND SPECIFIC, i.e., for D-Link products but hopefully you can get some ideas for possible solutions. Good Luck!   Message Edited by theDave on 05-24-2004 02:43 AM
My brother and his wife are visiting and somehow managed to get some unknown site on IE 6 title bar. Your solution is much appreciated. Now I'm more wary of spyware and letting relatives use my ... See more...
My brother and his wife are visiting and somehow managed to get some unknown site on IE 6 title bar. Your solution is much appreciated. Now I'm more wary of spyware and letting relatives use my computer! Dave Dimension 8200 Pentium 4 1.8Ghz Windows XP Home (clean installed from ME on 12-16-01) 384MB PC800 RDRAM 60GB WD HD 64MB DDR GF3 SoundBlaster Live! 16XDVD 16/10/40 CD-RW CNet Broadband NIC KDS Rad 7 17in TFT Flat Panel (sharp!) SoundBlaster surround sound speakers ATI TV-Wonder PCI