DELL-Larry R's Posts

DELL-Larry R's Posts

Understood.  My guess, based on whats you and others have described, is that WEP would work just fine for you.
The recovery partition is more to make reinstallation for software reasons easier.  It was known from the beginning that it wouldn't help for a hard drive problem, which is why the reinstallation med... See more...
The recovery partition is more to make reinstallation for software reasons easier.  It was known from the beginning that it wouldn't help for a hard drive problem, which is why the reinstallation media still ships with the system (or is avaiable if for some reason your system did not ship with it).
At a guess, you haven't installed the required drivers.  The XP drivers for the Dimension 4550 are: Intel 845PE chipset driver AGP 4X Video Driver ADI integrated audio driver Intel 82... See more...
At a guess, you haven't installed the required drivers.  The XP drivers for the Dimension 4550 are: Intel 845PE chipset driver AGP 4X Video Driver ADI integrated audio driver Intel 82559 Integrated NIC driver USB 2.0 Driver Microsoft USB QFE Patch (may not be needed if you have SP2+ installed)
chashood, does your router support WPA2-PSK? If it does, see if that will work.  If it does, I would like to get some additional information from you that I can pass to our engineers.
The list of drivers for the Inspiron 518 desktop (Vista 32) is: Intel® G33 chipset driver Realtek™ ALC888 audio drivers Intel integrated video drivers Realtek RTL81XX network drivers Driv... See more...
The list of drivers for the Inspiron 518 desktop (Vista 32) is: Intel® G33 chipset driver Realtek™ ALC888 audio drivers Intel integrated video drivers Realtek RTL81XX network drivers Drivers for any PCI Express® video cards installed Drivers for any PCI or PCI Express cards installed It should have the same driver requirements running Vista 64.
What model WWAN card do you have installed in the computer?  I'll be happy to look up the error message in case that helps determine where the problem is.
From what you describe it sounds to me like either a driver problem, or a bad card.  Unfortunately, it is really hard to tell for sure which it is without swapping the card for one known to work.
Firewall on the C810 or MAC addrses filtering on the router are the first two things that pop into my head.
What do the diagnostics in the Dell Wireless Card Utility say about the card?
If you have already (re)installed the latest driver for the system then it might be time to contact tech support for the problem.
If it is a separate card, and it fits into the chassis on your GX260, then yes, it should work fine.  If it is integrated into the motherboard, however, you won't be able to move it.
If everything goes as it should then a backup isn't necessary.  However, it is always a good idea to have backups of any important data because you never know when a problem is going to come up that ... See more...
If everything goes as it should then a backup isn't necessary.  However, it is always a good idea to have backups of any important data because you never know when a problem is going to come up that will effectively destroy the data on the hard drive. Short version: Better safe.
The full list of XP drivers for the Inspiron 8600 are: Dell Notebook System Software Intel Mobile Chipset driver nVidia GeForce4 4200 video driver or ATI Mobile Radeon 9000 driver ... See more...
The full list of XP drivers for the Inspiron 8600 are: Dell Notebook System Software Intel Mobile Chipset driver nVidia GeForce4 4200 video driver or ATI Mobile Radeon 9000 driver SigmaTel STAC 9750 audio driver Broadcom Integrated Network Controller driver MDC driver (modem) Wireless MiniPCI driver (if customer has a device) Wireless Bluetooth (if customer has a device) Alps touchpad drivers
Do you use a web proxy to get pages?  Is your browser configured to use a proxy right now? If you do not use a proxy but the browser has one configured, or if you do use one but it isn't configured... See more...
Do you use a web proxy to get pages?  Is your browser configured to use a proxy right now? If you do not use a proxy but the browser has one configured, or if you do use one but it isn't configured, you can get this problem.  We use a proxy here at work, and I ran into that problem once because I had disabled the proxy settings while working from home one day.
I'm glad to hear you've got things working now.
The full list of drivers for the Latitude 120L for WinXP is: Dell Notebook System Software Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver Intel 915GM/910GML Video Controller SigmaTel® STAC 9200 Audio Driver ... See more...
The full list of drivers for the Latitude 120L for WinXP is: Dell Notebook System Software Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver Intel 915GM/910GML Video Controller SigmaTel® STAC 9200 Audio Driver Broadcom® 440x 10/100 Integrated Network Controller Wireless Mini PCI® driver (if applicable) MDC driver (modem) Synaptics® TouchPad™ Driver QuickSet utility Make sure to install the Notebook System Software first, as that is needed for the operating system to properly talk to the hardware.
Yeah, most user manuals just say "use channel 1, 6 or 11" but don't bother to explain why you want to use those channels.  Luckily for most users it doesn't really matter as they don't have very many... See more...
Yeah, most user manuals just say "use channel 1, 6 or 11" but don't bother to explain why you want to use those channels.  Luckily for most users it doesn't really matter as they don't have very many (or in some cases any) neighboring wireless networks.  In other cases (like at my apartment with the 15 neighboring wireless networks detectable), however, you have to see what other people are using in order to figure out what channel works best for you.
If the power light is amber (yellow) and blinking then the PSU is getting power, but having problems distributing it to the system.  If teh light is amber and solid (not blinking) then the PSU is fun... See more...
If the power light is amber (yellow) and blinking then the PSU is getting power, but having problems distributing it to the system.  If teh light is amber and solid (not blinking) then the PSU is functioning but the system is not processing data. I seem to remember hearing the CPU heatsink might cause this problem (high speed fan at start, with nothing else happening) if it isn't cooling the CPU enough, so you might want to check that (is it clean, is it seated correctly, does the thermal paste need to be replaced).  It could also be a problem with the thermal sensor for the CPU (unfortunatley, I don't remember if thats in the CPU or the motherboard).
The list of WinXP drives for the Inspiron 600m are: Dell Notebook System Software Intel Mobile Chipset driver ATI Mobile Radeon 9000 video driver SigmaTel STAC 9750 audio driv... See more...
The list of WinXP drives for the Inspiron 600m are: Dell Notebook System Software Intel Mobile Chipset driver ATI Mobile Radeon 9000 video driver SigmaTel STAC 9750 audio driver O2Micro 02711EC1 PCMCIA/SmartCard controller driver Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller driver MDC driver (modem) Wireless MiniPCI driver (if customer has a device) Wireless Bluetooth (if customer has a device) Alps touchpad drivers  
I believe the WinXP Media Center reinstallation disk was a DVD.  By default Dell installs the IDE drives with the jumpers set for Cable Select, so the position on the cable is going to determine whet... See more...
I believe the WinXP Media Center reinstallation disk was a DVD.  By default Dell installs the IDE drives with the jumpers set for Cable Select, so the position on the cable is going to determine whether it will work as the boot device or not.  If you have a system with more than one drive, you may need to switch the cabling if they are not both DVD drives.