akin67's Posts

akin67's Posts

I am ordering a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD to install on my two year old Vostro 460.  From what I understand I need to also order a SATA III cable, and a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket to install the 2.5" SSD ... See more...
I am ordering a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD to install on my two year old Vostro 460.  From what I understand I need to also order a SATA III cable, and a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket to install the 2.5" SSD into the 3.5" drive bay on the Vostro.  Does anyone know if I also need to order a SATA power cable?  Does the Vostro have an extra unused SATA cable or is this something I need to purchase?  Exactly what will I need to order? Thanks in advance for your help.
I can also confirm that the Inspiron 530 with the Quad processor can accomodate more than the 4GB limit Dell states for this PC.  To start with I had 3 GB of RAM (2X512MB and 2X1GB) and Visto Home Pr... See more...
I can also confirm that the Inspiron 530 with the Quad processor can accomodate more than the 4GB limit Dell states for this PC.  To start with I had 3 GB of RAM (2X512MB and 2X1GB) and Visto Home Premium Edition.  I installed the 64bit version of Windows 7.  I removed the two 512MB chips and replaced them with two 2GB chips from Crucial (Model #: CT2KIT25664AA800).  For those who need this info the chip specs are: Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2) Package: 240-pin DIMM Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400 Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 CL=6 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-800 1.8V 256Meg x 64 I opened up the machine, removed the power plug, touched a piece of metal to get rid of any static and installed both 2GB chips at the same time .  While the PC was still open, I plugged it back in and powered up.  It recognized all 6GB the first try. Prior to ordering the chips entered the model number of my PC on the Crucial site.  It indicated that my PC's RAM limit was 4GB.  I downloaded and ran the Crucial software to if it would indicate anything different.  That too indicate dthat I had a 4GB RAM limit.  Crucial has a generous return policy.  If for whatever reason the chips did not work, I could return them for a refund.  However, as I indicated above this model can handle more than 4GB of RAM and both the DELL specs and the Memory manufacturers have are outdated.  I believe everyone is going off the Model number and DELLs initial (and erroneous) RAM limitations.  Thanks to everyone on this board I took a chance and was able to add the additional RAM and extend the  useful life of this PC.
I have the Inspiron 530 with the Quad (Q6600) processor.  Can you tell me which specific 2GB ram modules you used?  Please provide model numbers. Thanks,
I also have an Inspiron 530 with the Q6600 Quad Core processor running 32 bit version of Vista.  Currently I have 3GB of RAM.  I just upgraded the bios to the most current version and I am about to o... See more...
I also have an Inspiron 530 with the Q6600 Quad Core processor running 32 bit version of Vista.  Currently I have 3GB of RAM.  I just upgraded the bios to the most current version and I am about to order a 64bit version of Windows 7 Professional.  I have 4 DIMMs for memory on this unit.  I just checked my system is capable of running a 64 bit operating system.  Has anyone successfully migrated this system to be able to use 8GB of RAM?