Skarpo's Posts

Skarpo's Posts

So when I turn on EPP in the BIOS, I'm overclocking the FSB of the MOTHERBOARD to 1066MHz? I didn't realize that. The memory (both PC2-8500 Dominators and Reapers) are designed to work at 1066MHz, so... See more...
So when I turn on EPP in the BIOS, I'm overclocking the FSB of the MOTHERBOARD to 1066MHz? I didn't realize that. The memory (both PC2-8500 Dominators and Reapers) are designed to work at 1066MHz, so no overclocking needed here. You have a 720 yourself and you are using 4 x 1GB, Why didn't you want to go with the 1066MHz FSB speed? Any particular reason?
Well, I'm starting to wonder if I really need the 1066 speed. The motherboard's FSB is 800, so no matter how fast the memory responds, the motherboard sets the limit, doesn't it? However, Dell shippe... See more...
Well, I'm starting to wonder if I really need the 1066 speed. The motherboard's FSB is 800, so no matter how fast the memory responds, the motherboard sets the limit, doesn't it? However, Dell shipped this system with memory at 1066MHz, so there should be some advantage to this. Of course, if I only jeopardize my system integrity by using EPP, then I’ll better stay away from it. Somebody in another thread said that 1066 will only be of advantage if you overclock the FSB of the motherboard. If that’s true, then I don’t understand why Dell configured their systems that way. Another one even claimed that a 720 system would perform better at 800MHz vs 1066. Anyway, do you think I should get the Dominator sticks rather than the Reapers?
Sounds like you  are having hardware problems on your drive, which is not really Dell-specifc. Do you hear it clicking, when the drive works? Clicking is dangerous. It means your read/write heads hav... See more...
Sounds like you  are having hardware problems on your drive, which is not really Dell-specifc. Do you hear it clicking, when the drive works? Clicking is dangerous. It means your read/write heads have become loose and there isn't much you can do anymore except for some extremely expensive repair. How did you run the scan if you cannot boot anymore, btw? The utility partition? That would indicate that your drive is still working. First, I would run CHKDSK. If you can still boot into Windows (maybe in safe mode?), you can go to My Computer, right click on the C drive, choose Properties, select the Tools tab and click on "Check for Errors" and check the "automatically fix system errors". If you cannot boot into windows anymore, you need to somehow get your hands on a boot disk with Chkdsk on it. You will start Chkdsk in DOS mode by typing "Chkdsk C: /f". If you have another desktop computer, you can also install your hard drive as a secondary drive and run diagnostics and repair utils from there. I have an external hard drive enclosure. When I cannot boot a drive, I put it into the enclosure and connect it to another computer via USB. Sometimes drives can develop a heat problem, so if you don' have the clicking problem, try providing some extra cooling. I had such a problem just a few weeks ago. The drive was fine when it was still cold, but it started causing problems as soon as it worked for a while. I put a fan directly in front of it, started a full backup and rescued all my files. Good luck!
Your input is very much appreciated! Dell shipped these systems with 2x1GB Dominators @ 1066MHz. When configured with 4 sticks of RAM, the memory will automatically be downgraded to 800MHz. Could i... See more...
Your input is very much appreciated! Dell shipped these systems with 2x1GB Dominators @ 1066MHz. When configured with 4 sticks of RAM, the memory will automatically be downgraded to 800MHz. Could it be that 2x2GB is too much, or too hot @ 1066MHz, even though 2 sticks still allow for 1066?? Why else would the fans have blown at max even with another hard drive? Would bad memory produce more heat? Dell support is unable to answer this question. They don't even carry any memory that would be capable of 1066MHz anymore. Well, I guess I will see ...  
I think I found a possible explanation for this problem: I used the utility partition of an XPS700 on an XPS720. So maybe the ICH controller is different on a 720 and the utility tries accessing it w... See more...
I think I found a possible explanation for this problem: I used the utility partition of an XPS700 on an XPS720. So maybe the ICH controller is different on a 720 and the utility tries accessing it with the wrong driver. Could that be possible?
You need to follow the instructions in this thread. It's about removing and replacing the CMOS battery in your computer,
Are all your drives ENABLED? When you start the PC, press F2 to go into the BIOS, then go to Drives, press ENTER and go to each drive in the list looking whether it's ON or OFF. You should find SATA-... See more...
Are all your drives ENABLED? When you start the PC, press F2 to go into the BIOS, then go to Drives, press ENTER and go to each drive in the list looking whether it's ON or OFF. You should find SATA-0 ON, all other SATA OFF (except if you have more than one hard drive OR if you have a SATA optical drive), and PATA should list your optical drive(s). I have an 8400 with 2 optical drives, so both (Drive 4 and Drive 5) are ON. If they are ON and not showing any Drive ID description, try following the istructions to reset your BIOS and check again. If you are not sure what is connected where, turn everything on and look if the system finds something connected (in the BIOS screen). Once you have identified all connected drives, switch off the drived that are unconnected.  
When I go to the utility partition for some diagnostics, I get this message: ""unable to locate required intel ICH controller". Does anybody know what that means? My system seems to work fine righ... See more...
When I go to the utility partition for some diagnostics, I get this message: ""unable to locate required intel ICH controller". Does anybody know what that means? My system seems to work fine right now (although I went through quite some troubles before).
BTW, before I installed the new hard disk, I ran a memory test and it found some errors with my OCZ Reapers HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500), so I put the old 2 x 512MB memory bac... See more...
BTW, before I installed the new hard disk, I ran a memory test and it found some errors with my OCZ Reapers HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500), so I put the old 2 x 512MB memory back in, but I re-installed the 6850 processor, since the Pentium D didn't make any difference.. Could it be that the Reapers caused all that trouble? They automatically run at 1066MHz, which is kind of cool for a system with an 800MHz FSB. This system was sold and came pre-configured from the Dell factory with the 3.0GHz 6850 processor and Dominators instead of Reapers, running at 1066MHz in EPP mode. I wanted to create this particular configuration but I couldn't find the Dominators, so I bought those incredible looking Reapers with the huge heat sinks, which are also designed for EPP. My 720 is now working since hours already, quietly running games, video and all kinds of programs. I sent the Reapers back to Newegg for replacement, but I'm really wondering if I actually want them back. Please tell me what you think about this!  
Thank you so much for your valuable input! The thermal paste shouldn't be an issue. I changed processors a few times, always completely cleaning off any residue and the thermal paste looked like it... See more...
Thank you so much for your valuable input! The thermal paste shouldn't be an issue. I changed processors a few times, always completely cleaning off any residue and the thermal paste looked like it is supposed to look: one even patch in the right spot. I left the system alone for a couple of days and today I gave it another shot. I installed a hard drive from another XPS 700 system,. This time the system booted without any problems, fans at normal.  Now, with the Dell formatted drive, I have access to the utility partition, so I tried running the diagnostics, but I received an error message: "SYSTEM_ERROR Unable to locate required Intel ICH controller". I had been wondering before about the hard disk controller, because Acronis' utilities could not even find a hard drive, already with the previous hard drive. And I CAN run Acronis on this particular drive from another XPS 700 machine. When I remove the RAM sticks and the video card, and unplug the drive, I get one long beep, then 3 beeps, then 2 more. The color of the power button is green. When I start the system WITH these components in place, then (after going through a series of combinations) I end up without any numbers. This is the second xps 700 series motherboard I'm having trouble with. The first one just died without any further response. This one seems to have problems with one or more components. I bought this motherboard on eBay, so my chances for a warranty replacement are extremely slim. It seemed to work just fine, except for those card-cage fan error messages. And it still isn't entirely dead. But what can I do with a bad ICH controller? Can it be repaired?                                                                             *  *  *  I made another attempt. I formatted the Dell drive using Acronis on another machine, which cleared the way for a fresh install of WIndows XP (iI always got blue screens with this drive before). I installed all the latest Dell drivers for the 720 (I did this on a 700 and it took it without a problem). I then installed this drive in the problematic XPS 720 - and it works! No fan issues, no error messages, AND no drive controller issues! How is that possible? Isn't that strange? Well, I'm holding my breath for the next issue...  
Thanks for the input! My hard drives are mounted with those black plastic enclosures, which came with the computer. They don't really seem to provide for connection with any heat sink.
Thanks for your input! The error messages have been resolved, no problem there. I am concerned about the fans blowing at max. I put the machine back to its original configuration, the configuratio... See more...
Thanks for your input! The error messages have been resolved, no problem there. I am concerned about the fans blowing at max. I put the machine back to its original configuration, the configuration that worked fine. I did another CMOS reset and yet I have the fans revving crazily. I hope this doesn't indicate some motherboard problem.    
Unfortunately, my system is wrecked now. Hard drive became inaccessible and all fans blow at max. No idea what's going on. I started a new thread.
I upgraded memory and processor on my XPS 720 and had a problem with error messages at startup regarding "previous fan failure" and "card-cage fan failure". This was solved by resetting the CMOS. I... See more...
I upgraded memory and processor on my XPS 720 and had a problem with error messages at startup regarding "previous fan failure" and "card-cage fan failure". This was solved by resetting the CMOS. I thought I was all set. However, after leaving the system idle for several hours, I heard all the fans blowing at max all of a sudden. I rushed over to the monitor and found it black. The fans turned to normal after a while, but the system still remained unresponsive, so I turned it off. After a while I turned it on again. The Dell splash screen came up, the progress went fully from left to right, but that was it. Nothing else happened. I pressed F2 and it would say "entering Setup" but it never did (or maybe I didn't wait long enough). I first replaced the new OCZ Reapers with the old memory. No change. I then replaced the 6850 processor with the old Pentium D. Still no change. Finally I tried replacing the video card, but this also made no difference. So I reset the CMOS again and the system actually responded with "Performing automatic IDE configuration". It took a while, I thought I was stuck again, but just when I wanted to switch off, I got into the BIOS. It showed everything as I would have expected, except for the hard drive, which was listed without recognizing its capacity. The system then started to blow with all fans to the max. Upon exit of the setup, I got the message "no boot device" and turned the system off again. So when I start now, it always takes several minutes until all fans come on at max. Just as an experiment, I put in the Dell reinstallation CD, ran Setup, but got a blue screen (0x0000007F). Now I got thinking, maybe it's the hard drive. So I took the hard drive out of an XPS 700 and put it into the XPS 720 and although all the fans blew at max speed, it started booting. At the same time I took the drive from the 720 and put it into the 700 and it ALSO got stuck at the splash screen!!! So it seems I'm dealing with a bad hard drive now. But why? This hard drive was a brand new WD Caviar Black. Did the PSU overheat and burn up the hard drive? No, Although the PSU emits some heat out the back (as it should), the bottom is arctic cool. Anyhow. I know my hard drive is blown, but I don't know why. Did this have anything to do with the cage-fan error messages? The drive from the 700 will not boot. Maybe it's because of the wrong drivers. It's stuck at the Windows loading screen with the progress bar running and running. Why are the fans running at max? Should I try setting up another hard drive or will it also get wrecked? Maybe someone else has had similar experiences? Thanks!
That did it! Thank you so much for this solution! While I still don't understand what the disk fan has to do with the new processor, I'm very pleased that the errors have been cleared. I still had... See more...
That did it! Thank you so much for this solution! While I still don't understand what the disk fan has to do with the new processor, I'm very pleased that the errors have been cleared. I still had to re-enable EPP to switch the memory from 800 to 1066MHz. I noticed you have your memory running at 800MHz. May I ask why? Do you use 4 x 1GB ? But you are also using the Reapers... Why are they calling it "card-cage fan" ? I thought it had something to do with the PCI cards. Apparently not. Good learning experience! Well, thanks again!  
I upgraded my processor from a Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo 6850 and the memory to 2 x 2GB of those huge OCZ Reaper modules. The processor runs @ 1333MHz and memory @ 1066MHz, just as expected. Now, whe... See more...
I upgraded my processor from a Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo 6850 and the memory to 2 x 2GB of those huge OCZ Reaper modules. The processor runs @ 1333MHz and memory @ 1066MHz, just as expected. Now, when the system starts, I get the above messages and I have to press F1 to continue. All fans in my system are working fine: Main case fan, processor fan, hard drive fan and the little fan on my Nvidia 8600. What is the BIOS looking for? It switched to EPP mode automatically once I installed the new components. Is it now looking for more cooling options? I don't have a "card-cage"! The system is working fine, there are no temperature issues at all, I can play any games I want - but I cannot get rid of the error messages at startup! Any ideas? THANKS!
I too have problems with PC Checkup!!! It just sits there saying "Downloading Components", "Please wait..." Dell 9100 XP MCE SP2