Jon57's Posts

Jon57's Posts

If you have a latitude line of machine please check out the Dell Command Update.  I installed in on my E6530 and it works great to pull the correct drivers including for the fingerprint reader.  I ha... See more...
If you have a latitude line of machine please check out the Dell Command Update.  I installed in on my E6530 and it works great to pull the correct drivers including for the fingerprint reader.  I have had only issues with fingerprint reader getting the correct drivers, it sometimes will not find the correct ones when Command Update runs, but once you finally get the correct ones in once it does a good job of maintaining them.  I can try on an E6510 at some point if needed.  I need to do that anyway but just have to find the time to do it.
Windows 10 does not like the Dell Data Protection software.  I had to reload the OS multiple times due to strange issues with the OS.  Once I stopped putting the DDP software on no more issues.  Wind... See more...
Windows 10 does not like the Dell Data Protection software.  I had to reload the OS multiple times due to strange issues with the OS.  Once I stopped putting the DDP software on no more issues.  Windows has a build in way to do finger print scanning built in.  It works flawlessly in 8.1 but so far I am only having more pain trying to get it working in 10.  That said stay away from the DDP software.  Once it is in there is no way to get it out, at least in my test installs.
First off you need to look under your machine type and model in the Downloads and Drivers section to see if Dell released a version for your system.  If not then you are stuck looking for and downloa... See more...
First off you need to look under your machine type and model in the Downloads and Drivers section to see if Dell released a version for your system.  If not then you are stuck looking for and downloading your drivers manually.  I have not had to work on an Inspiron for a while, so I don't know if there is one.  Second Dell has a poor track record of putting the drivers out for the latest operating system.  Consumer versions of their hardware, Inspiron is one, are usually only supported for a year or so with drivers updated for maybe 3 years but usually only for the operating system originally sold with the system.  If your system is still under warranty or extended warranty call them, their Tech Support people have always been friendly, at least when you get a US based person.  Personally prefer their Chat support as they can send you the web address if there is something you need/want and it is available.  Third if you are like me and need your hardware to last they spend the extra money and buy a business level machine like the Latitude line.  They usually will support these for 3 years and drivers are usually kept up to date for 5 years, with nice add-ins like the Command Update type of software.  They also put out drivers for new operating systems if the system is less than 5 years old.
Have you looked on both of the other sites, O2 Micro and Lenovo?  Dell is sometimes slow about getting the drivers updated.  For the business class machines they appear to have been a head of the gam... See more...
Have you looked on both of the other sites, O2 Micro and Lenovo?  Dell is sometimes slow about getting the drivers updated.  For the business class machines they appear to have been a head of the game this time.  Depending on the age of the machine the company, any of them, may not update drivers even though they should.  I found problems with some of my hardware after getting the correct drivers in.  The error message was very misleading as to the issue.  I found I need to update the firmware to resolve the issues.  You might want to look for Chip Set drivers and firmware to see if there are those kind of issues being detected but not addressed correctly.
I would like to know if he took my suggestion and downloaded and ran the Dell Command Update.  That program took care of most of my driver issues.  I found a firmware update was needed that was maske... See more...
I would like to know if he took my suggestion and downloaded and ran the Dell Command Update.  That program took care of most of my driver issues.  I found a firmware update was needed that was masked as something else.  Just so he knows if he installs the Dell Data Protection he WILL hose the machine completely!
I have checked SD card does work on my E6530 with Windows 10 Pro.  Booting UEFI, Legacy ROM's off, and Secure Boot on.  I got the drivers installed by using Dell Command Update for Windows 10 and the... See more...
I have checked SD card does work on my E6530 with Windows 10 Pro.  Booting UEFI, Legacy ROM's off, and Secure Boot on.  I got the drivers installed by using Dell Command Update for Windows 10 and the E6530.  Look for it under System Management, on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Under your machine type - drivers look for a program called Command Update.  I used it on my E6530 and it found some missing drivers for me and installed them.  It appears the program will check all ... See more...
Under your machine type - drivers look for a program called Command Update.  I used it on my E6530 and it found some missing drivers for me and installed them.  It appears the program will check all the drivers and put in the latest for all of them.  Maker sure the program is for the OS version you are looking for drivers for!  Good luck
To answer my own query.  Dell release last night or this morning Dell released Dell Command Update.  When run the first time one of the options was to download a complete set of drivers and install t... See more...
To answer my own query.  Dell release last night or this morning Dell released Dell Command Update.  When run the first time one of the options was to download a complete set of drivers and install them.  Wonder of wonders everything got installed!
Dell release the Command Update today it appears!  Yah now to see if it works! It did a great job of finding and getting install the drivers I could not get installed or found.  I still have a conc... See more...
Dell release the Command Update today it appears!  Yah now to see if it works! It did a great job of finding and getting install the drivers I could not get installed or found.  I still have a concern about Dell Data Encryption installing as Enterprise instead of Personal but I left the servers blank and hope that does not leave me a security hole to worry about in the future.
I have 3 issues with Dell Data Protection.  First issue is neither the Encryption nor the Security Tools is showing in the un-install programs.  Second issue is Encryption shows only the Enterprise a... See more...
I have 3 issues with Dell Data Protection.  First issue is neither the Encryption nor the Security Tools is showing in the un-install programs.  Second issue is Encryption shows only the Enterprise as installing not the Personal, which is not really a problem I hope.  Third issue is neither my finger printer reader nor my smart card readers (contact and contactless) are getting their drivers. Next issue is, there was a Dell Command Update for Windows 8/8.1 to do the driver updates.  There is no version for Windows 10 and neither of the Dell Command programs/downloads seem to work as described in the instructions.  They do not show in un-install programs either. System is E6530.  OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 (not yet activated as this is a test machine)!  Clean install done using media from Microsoft and drivers (all that installed)  from either Microsoft or Dell.  Installed to UEFI drive.  Not yet encrypted but will be as some point.  BIOS is at A16 (current). Questions how (other than redoing the OS install) do I get to uninstall those programs and why are the drivers for the finger print reader and smart card readers not getting installed?
Maybe try the one for the E6530 It might work.  It has been tested but not all of the available programs posted for the E6530 work either.
Machine Dell E6530 with finger printer reader, and contact and contactless smart card readers.  OS is Windows 10 Pro.  Downloaded both of the Dell Data Protection packages and installed but my machin... See more...
Machine Dell E6530 with finger printer reader, and contact and contactless smart card readers.  OS is Windows 10 Pro.  Downloaded both of the Dell Data Protection packages and installed but my machine still can't see the finger print reader or the smart card readers.  Went un-install the Encryption package and discovered NEITHER of the Dell Data Protection packages are showing in Uninstall software panel.  First where are the drivers and second where are the uninstall locations for these products?
Thank you! It was sold in Walmart as an XPS 3 but the Dell site calls it an Inspiron 5323. I guess I will see when I get the system in hand. Thank you again!
I was already planning on getting 3. One for my daughter to start the system, one for me to hold on to just in case she lost hers, and one to hold the recovery key. I have pounded her on doing backu... See more...
I was already planning on getting 3. One for my daughter to start the system, one for me to hold on to just in case she lost hers, and one to hold the recovery key. I have pounded her on doing backups but typically I get "I am too busy", "It takes too long", or "It is too hard to do". Garbage I know but she is not local. Maybe I need to get 4, two for her to start the system? You would not happen to know if there is a TPM chip in the Inspiron 5323 would you? Thank you,
I am about to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 pro to enable bitlocker. I am guessing at this point since I don't have the system in my hands that it does not have a TPM chip. If it does not have... See more...
I am about to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 pro to enable bitlocker. I am guessing at this point since I don't have the system in my hands that it does not have a TPM chip. If it does not have a TPM and I have to go with encrypting the drive with a USB flash drive what happens if the flash drive is taken out before the system is shut down? Thank you!
I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work for Windows 8. When I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 they did not fail but I have not tried to do an 8.1 install without going thru 8 for these drivers. I know t... See more...
I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work for Windows 8. When I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 they did not fail but I have not tried to do an 8.1 install without going thru 8 for these drivers. I know there is one driver I had fits finding. It is the motion detector but a Dell tech was able to refer me to the driver.
The machine is an E6520 using the Dell DW1530 half-mini card NIC.  The Linux I am trying to work with is Knoppix.  I have it installed on a USB drive.  Do you need anything else?
I am looking for a Linux driver for a DW1530 network half-mini card.  The latest Knoppix does not recognize this NIC and since I have the OS installed to a USB drive I think I can add this driver.  A... See more...
I am looking for a Linux driver for a DW1530 network half-mini card.  The latest Knoppix does not recognize this NIC and since I have the OS installed to a USB drive I think I can add this driver.  Anyone know where to get this driver? Thank you
Yes the drivers were part of either Windows 8 Pro or else I used the Dell Windows 7 ones, either way it is working.  We don't use it but it is reporting correctly in the Device Manager.   Jon
In my case I purchased the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro.  Keep in mind I did this months ago but I believe I had the upgrade format the drive and then install.  I had downloaded all the Windows 7... See more...
In my case I purchased the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro.  Keep in mind I did this months ago but I believe I had the upgrade format the drive and then install.  I had downloaded all the Windows 7 drivers for the hardware and had them on a USB drive.  I did find one missing driver but a Dell support tech knew what I was referring to and posted a link to it.  It was for the motion detection system.  All of the most recent drivers at the time worked great on the Windows 8 system.  I still don't understand why Dell will not support the Duo with Windows 8 but it is their call even if it makes no sense.   Most important was make sure you have the BIOS at the most current version BEFORE you attempt to put Windows 8 on the system!  I have not tried to upgrade the BIOS since the system was converted and I know that sometimes the BIOS software will do a version check before it upgrades and not allow you to upgrade a system that has the "wrong" OS on it.  I think in this case it was more a matter of some of the things that Windows 8 does would expect the BIOS to be more current.