marzbar's Posts

marzbar's Posts

I had the same issue for months. I finally found a non-Dell branded Broadcom driver for the card that appears (touch wood!) to have resolved the problem for me. Search the internet for Broadcom BCM... See more...
I had the same issue for months. I finally found a non-Dell branded Broadcom driver for the card that appears (touch wood!) to have resolved the problem for me. Search the internet for Broadcom BCM-43xx Wireless Lan Drivers Version 7.35.344.0 WHQL. The version I had was branded HP but it's the same files underneath: download and extract the archive (download 7zip to expand the exe archive, rather than running the exe, which is obviously risky!) and then right-click the bcmwdi.inf file in the extracted folder and click "Install". If you then (in the windows device manager) search for updated drivers for the network card, it will update to 7.35.344.
Hi Rishi Thanks for the reply. Running Windows 10, you're correct in that shutdown doesn't work correctly either. I enabled the administrator account and logging in as that user allows me to hi... See more...
Hi Rishi Thanks for the reply. Running Windows 10, you're correct in that shutdown doesn't work correctly either. I enabled the administrator account and logging in as that user allows me to hibernate and shutdown as normal. That suggest there's something wrong with my Windows profile, I suppose? I'll look into that as a start.
Hi Since I updated my bios to A09 my laptop won't hibernate successfully - it appears to be powered down but won't power on: I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds, after which it will power... See more...
Hi Since I updated my bios to A09 my laptop won't hibernate successfully - it appears to be powered down but won't power on: I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds, after which it will power back up. This suggests to me that (ACPI?) power-off isn't succeeding correctly and the laptop is in some odd state. I can't revert to the previous BIOS (because the installer refuses to allow it) so I can't be certain that it's a problem with the BIOS or if that's a coincidence - I've updated the BIOS 3 times since, each time hoping that the problem would resolve itself but it hasn't :( I went into the BIOS and reset all settings to default, in case it was a problem with a corrupted NVRAM, but no joy. I've tried updating all the drivers I can (as per the dell support site) but it makes no difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm at a complete loss.
So I have Inspiron 5748 upgraded to Windows 10. I updated the drivers for the 1704 wireless card from the dell site (Version 7.35.295.0, A01) which it says is compatible and recommended for my m... See more...
So I have Inspiron 5748 upgraded to Windows 10. I updated the drivers for the 1704 wireless card from the dell site (Version 7.35.295.0, A01) which it says is compatible and recommended for my machine. The drivers appear to install successfully but the laptop loses connection repeatedly. Uninstalling the updated drivers and dropping back to the windows-supplied driver solves the problem. Is there something else I should have done after the driver install? Thanks!
Why would anyone wish to buy it? Because they need a serial port, probably. There's still plenty of legacy hardware that people in the real world have to run. Then again, given that you can buy a d... See more...
Why would anyone wish to buy it? Because they need a serial port, probably. There's still plenty of legacy hardware that people in the real world have to run. Then again, given that you can buy a dual serial PCIe card for significantly less money than dell are asking for a cable, you're probably right - why _would_ anyone wish to buy it?...
Hi Bev, thanks for your answer! The only Dell serial/ps2 adaptors I can find don't list the 470 as a compatible system; I'm loath to pay a fairly high price (for what's basically just a cable) if i... See more...
Hi Bev, thanks for your answer! The only Dell serial/ps2 adaptors I can find don't list the 470 as a compatible system; I'm loath to pay a fairly high price (for what's basically just a cable) if it won't work, as did eg en.community.dell.com/.../19392060.aspx Is there any way to enable the port to see if it appears in the BIOS before I shell out for the cable? eg www.motherboardpoint.com/dell-optiplex-gx260-2nd-serial-port-t42017.html suggests that on his optiplex, two of the pins on the connector act as an "enable" jumper, I wondered if that was the same on the 470... Cheers
Hi There's an unconnected connector on the vostro 470's motherboard marked "SERIAL_PS2"; however there's nothing in the BIOS about COM ports. I wondered if it's possible to enable this connector... See more...
Hi There's an unconnected connector on the vostro 470's motherboard marked "SERIAL_PS2"; however there's nothing in the BIOS about COM ports. I wondered if it's possible to enable this connector somehow, does anyone know? Thanks!