darkwaterblue's Posts

darkwaterblue's Posts

If I disconnect the fan while the machine is running the sound stops. I cant see that it would be stuck on anything as the blower is sealed.
I work for a department that has recently bought over 40 new dell machines to replace a fleet of old optiplex G620's which have to be fair been bullet proof if a little slow. When looking at the 7... See more...
I work for a department that has recently bought over 40 new dell machines to replace a fleet of old optiplex G620's which have to be fair been bullet proof if a little slow. When looking at the 7010's after we had them delivered I didn't particularly like the small heatisnk and blower assembly but as it is a SFF machine that was to be expected. The problem is one one machine I cannot get rid of this rattle:   This happened with the heatsink this particular machine was first shipped with. Dell support sent a new heatsink out the next day. Super. I fitted it but within 10 minutes it was the same. Then dell support sent a engineer out to replace it again  and within a week it is again doing as shown in the video above.  Now I am concerned (I pushed for Dell built machines) that we have a fleet of 40 machines with these seemingly very very low quality fans attached to i7 based workstations and I have serious doubts they will last 7 years like the G620's before them! Has anyone got any ideas what would be the next port of call? Not particularly happy with just swapping out cheap Chinese fan for cheap Chinese fan over and over again.
Don't all chime in at once 😕
Hello We have just bought 40 or so i7 spec'd OptiPlex 7010 machines for a lab environment and I have a slight concern that when under 100% load they get very hot. Before the machines are put in... See more...
Hello We have just bought 40 or so i7 spec'd OptiPlex 7010 machines for a lab environment and I have a slight concern that when under 100% load they get very hot. Before the machines are put in a working environment we have taken one as a bit of a test bed to stability test and what not, I thought Id use Seti@home left running for a while to see what sort of noise the machines put out and also how the hardware copes with this, temperatures etc. As you can see the temperatures are very warm, they will easily hit 90+ when they are in situ in a warm lab environment ( the machine is currently just sat in a coolish IT office). Now I know the SFF nature of the 7010 chassis won't be helping things but I would expect better temperatures from these units, especially as the fan does not seem to spool up even at near 90 degrees! As a final note all the machines are on the latest A13 bios as far as I know. Any information / ideas would be great.