jstacks42's Posts

jstacks42's Posts

It came with a 550ti. I tried changing the Bios setting and disabling Gen 3.   I am using Bios version A07.   I had a shirty surge protector and power issue caused me to lose the video card and h... See more...
It came with a 550ti. I tried changing the Bios setting and disabling Gen 3.   I am using Bios version A07.   I had a shirty surge protector and power issue caused me to lose the video card and hard drive during a storm. I replaced both and it worked perfectly for 6 months.  I have tried reinstalling the drivers from the OEM disc but trying any newer version causes the crash, even doing a clean install.
Yes, nothing out of the ordinary.  Especially if it crashes instantly when starting a game.
I have been having a major problem with my Alienware PC, which is only a year old.  Whenever I play a game, or do anything else that is GPU intensive, it causes the screen to go black and the ... See more...
I have been having a major problem with my Alienware PC, which is only a year old.  Whenever I play a game, or do anything else that is GPU intensive, it causes the screen to go black and the PC becomes unresponsive.  When this first began, I was playing Rift, and about an hour in, it went black and I had to use the power button to restart the machine.  Now, even Facebook games cause the crash.  Updating the Nvidia drivers, doing a diagnostic from the Dell site and even rating the system with Windows causes the crash.  I have tried moving the card into the other PCI slot.  I was originally using Windows 8 and have since formatted my HDD and completely reinstalled Windows 7, thinking it was a software issue.  I bought another video card, I have a EVGA Geforce 660 and tried out a Radeon 7770, thinking maybe its an Nvidia issue, but that card even caused errors. I took my PC to a repair shop that supposedly knows about Alienware system, and they effectively charged me to do nothing because they couldnt figure it out.  They said its a common Alienware issue and that I should never update the systems drivers or the video card driver.  Since then I have talked to Alienware support on the phone, done the pre-boot tests, which found nothing.  Pretty much everyone is stumped and I am left with a very expensive web browser and a very sad pc gamer. Any help would be greatly appreciated System Specs Alienware Aurora R4 Intel Core i7 - 3930 6 core @ 3.2 GHz 8 GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz RAM 2 GB EVGA Nvidia GeForce 660 Windows 7 64 Bit