Rasmus Haslund1's Posts

Rasmus Haslund1's Posts

With AppAssure backup it will not make any difference. With EqualLogic the entire box is made up of one single RAID. So it will not make any big performance difference to make it on a seperate v... See more...
With AppAssure backup it will not make any difference. With EqualLogic the entire box is made up of one single RAID. So it will not make any big performance difference to make it on a seperate volume since this LUN performance will come from the same disks as all the other volumes. Simply making extra drives in your VM from the Hypervisor was a great choice for your configuration.
You can download a Dell customized version of the VMware ESXi ISO here: [View:] It will most likely contain the needed drivers.
Yes and no 🙂 If VMware has released a newer driver for the hardware from their repository you will get it. However any Dell released patches will most likely not be downloaded automatic, how... See more...
Yes and no 🙂 If VMware has released a newer driver for the hardware from their repository you will get it. However any Dell released patches will most likely not be downloaded automatic, however you could add the Dell repository to your Update Manager. I wrote a blog post that explains how to do that here: www.perfectcloud.org/.../update-manager-vendors-online-depots-available
Hi Peter, You can download the ISO from Dell here: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails Remember to upgrade your vCenter and Update Manager to 5.5 before trying to upload the ISO file (under ES... See more...
Hi Peter, You can download the ISO from Dell here: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails Remember to upgrade your vCenter and Update Manager to 5.5 before trying to upload the ISO file (under ESXi images).
You can use either. Just remember to upgrade your vCenter and Update Manager to 5.5 before attempting to upgrade the hosts. The vanilla ESXi 5.5 image from VMware and the Dell "branded" ESXi 5... See more...
You can use either. Just remember to upgrade your vCenter and Update Manager to 5.5 before attempting to upgrade the hosts. The vanilla ESXi 5.5 image from VMware and the Dell "branded" ESXi 5.5 image start of the same. However Dell adds in additional sensors and drivers. I would recommend going with the Dell image.
What you want to do is completely possible. However, before making this setup please remember to evaluate why you want to use in-guest iSCSI? Performance could easily be the same. Which back... See more...
What you want to do is completely possible. However, before making this setup please remember to evaluate why you want to use in-guest iSCSI? Performance could easily be the same. Which backup software are you using? Backups will most likely be more difficult depending on how they are done.
Unfortunately this is not a good situation. VMware has written a knowledgebase article about this specific situation (KB2068645) - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_... See more...
Unfortunately this is not a good situation. VMware has written a knowledgebase article about this specific situation (KB2068645) - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2068645 For your reference: Resolution To avoid this issue, enable USB devices for passthrough instead of enabling a USB controller for passthrough. Note: VMware does not support enabling USB controllers for passthrough if the ESXi host is booting from a USB device or SD card connected through USB channel. To work around this issue, burn a new image to the USB device or SD card. Caution: All ESXi configurations are lost after re-imaging.
I would recommend for sure to use the VMware vSphere Update Manager. This is really the best way to go.
Since your goal is to increase space, it does not really make sense to go for RAID 10, but just be aware that RAID 6 is really a performance hit for your writes.
I do not see any mention of disabling Delayed ACK in VMware ESXi in the EqualLogic Configuration Guide 14.1. Is this no longer a best practice? If it is still best practice, which official Del... See more...
I do not see any mention of disabling Delayed ACK in VMware ESXi in the EqualLogic Configuration Guide 14.1. Is this no longer a best practice? If it is still best practice, which official Dell document states this? Thank you in advance 🙂
Dear jamiemwanza, If you delete a volume the space consumed/claimed by this volume will be released back into your storage pool as free space. The problem is, if you are running fx VMware ESXi an... See more...
Dear jamiemwanza, If you delete a volume the space consumed/claimed by this volume will be released back into your storage pool as free space. The problem is, if you are running fx VMware ESXi and create a new (thin) volume and start moving VMs from existing volume to the new volume then you will run out of space, because the space used by the VMs moved wont be released as free space on the existing volume until you delete it. If you DELETE a volume then the space WILL be released. Another option, depending on your requirements, could be to lower your snapshot reserves. Currently according to your data you have 1.41 TB for snapshot reserves, this could be entirely removed or just lowered for now. Let me know if you have further questions.
Hi Don, Try setting this up and see what happens for yourself. vSwitch MTU 9000 VMkernel iSCSI0 MTU 9000 VMkernel iSCSI1 MTU 1500 Connect iSCSI and then check EQL logs. You will see both co... See more...
Hi Don, Try setting this up and see what happens for yourself. vSwitch MTU 9000 VMkernel iSCSI0 MTU 9000 VMkernel iSCSI1 MTU 1500 Connect iSCSI and then check EQL logs. You will see both connections running standard-sized frames. Not one session jumbo and one session standard. I agree the EQL is able to handle mixed connections, but VMware is not within same vSwitch. -Rasmus
Beware when mixing guest iscsi and vmware iscsi traffic on the same vSwitch that you MUST! ensure all of them are configured to the same MTU. All too often I have seem VMs with guest/direct iscsi r... See more...
Beware when mixing guest iscsi and vmware iscsi traffic on the same vSwitch that you MUST! ensure all of them are configured to the same MTU. All too often I have seem VMs with guest/direct iscsi run SQL servers where the "SQL expert" has demanded that the MTU be set to 1500 for higher SQL performance. While that may be true this will force the VMware iSCSI connections to ALSO drop down to MTU 1500 since the NICs can not mix MTU 1500 and 9000 packets. If this is the case you will see a clear benefit from creating a seperate vSwitch and use that for guest/direct iSCSI traffic. The 2nd use case is often if VMware is putting a heavy load on the iSCSI NICs then it will not be able to control this properly if you are mixing in guest/direct iscsi traffic. Then I would recommend you move it to a seperate vSwitch. If the load is low or moderate then it will not make a big difference.