Fajita's Posts

Fajita's Posts

Hi, I have a Dimension E510 and want to upgrade/replace the PSU.  What I am after is something that is good bang for the buck because I am going to be adding RAM and a new video card as well and do... See more...
Hi, I have a Dimension E510 and want to upgrade/replace the PSU.  What I am after is something that is good bang for the buck because I am going to be adding RAM and a new video card as well and don't have a lot of funds right now.  My machine is a Pentium D (2.8GHz) with a dual core processor, 1 Gig RAM, 70GB HD, running WinXP Media Center. The current graphics card is an ATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Hypermemory.  You can imagine why I would be anxious to upgrade the video card.  I don't need to run Crysis and  am obviously not a hardcore gamer but want to be able to run Pirates of the Caribbean Online, WoW, and some non-vintage pc games without a problem. In another thread, someone mentioned that the E510 takes a standard ATX power supply so I did a little research and found references to 12V also.  I am not versed in this area, don't trust salespeople, and just don't want to buy something incompatible, so can someone please give a suggestion as to a good PSU with a reasonable price?  Would this machine do okay with 500W?  I want good power that will not strain my system. I won't be buying a new pc for about 2 years & am able to upgrade the graphics card, some memory, and the PSU now.  I want what will tide me over for a while. Coming from an X300, anything will be an improvement!  The video cards I'm considering are the Radeon HD 4670, 5670 and 5750.  I realize that the video card choice is a whole other discussion (and am not asking about that here) but think that they should be mentioned since part of the reason for the PSU replacement is the video upgrade.  I read in another thread that the E510 does not need more power to support the 4670 but I want to replace this power supply anyway as it sounds like a jet engine! Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!
Hey, I just wanted to thank Customizer for starting this thread since I am in virtually the same boat with a Dimension E510 but starting with an older graphics card. My machine is a Pentium D (2.8GHz... See more...
Hey, I just wanted to thank Customizer for starting this thread since I am in virtually the same boat with a Dimension E510 but starting with an older graphics card. My machine is a Pentium D (2.8GHz) with a dual core processor, 1 Gig RAM, 70GB HD, running (what else?) WinXP Media Center. The graphics card (don't laugh!) is an ATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Hypermemory (a faulty one at that, an issue I should have addressed with Dell while still under warranty but it mostly works and I didn't have the time to waste fighting with Dell over a relic of a graphics card). Now I want to upgrade the graphics card to do some gaming. (No need for me to point out that I'm not a hardcore gamer. I don't have the time but like to have fun when I can.) I don't need Crysis (for now) but want to be able to run some decent games. Right now I'm having fun with online (again...no laughing!) Pirates of the Caribbean and The Sims...want to play WoW and some other non-antique games without being on the low end of system requirements. I also don't have the funds to buy a newer machine and am of the same school of thought as 2ndtimer: bang for the buck, minimal investment to accomplish goals. That said, I won't be buying a new pc for at least 2 years & am able to upgrade the graphics card, some memory, and the PSU. So I want what will tide me over for a while. Coming from an X300, anything will be an improvement! From what I've read in the replies to this question, the HD 4670 sounds like a good upgrade for me since I don't want to put any strain on my machine. I will probably upgrade the memory & PSU anyway, since I'm a little paranoid about the original PSU sounding like a jet engine.  Any help or comments would be appreciated.