SexyFish's Posts

SexyFish's Posts

Hey, thanks for your response. In this case it's definitely from the secondary hard drive as I've tried running without it and the sound goes away. That is the best quality I can get of the noi... See more...
Hey, thanks for your response. In this case it's definitely from the secondary hard drive as I've tried running without it and the sound goes away. That is the best quality I can get of the noise, but I promise you if you put headphones on and turn the volume up you can hear the dripping kinda noise at the 2s and 7s mark. I need to know is this is a normal noise or if I need to get the HDD replaced before it breaks. I've noticed that it seems to occur when the HDD goes between high usage to low usage or vice versa.
Quick question, does the Alienware 17 R3 support HDMI In ? And if so how do I go about accessing the HDMI input signal? Thanks
FYI: Alienware 17 R3 - i76820HK - 8GB GTX980M - 16GB RAM - PCIe SSD + HDD Since I've had this I've noticed that there is an intermittent sound coming from the left side of the machine, and the ... See more...
FYI: Alienware 17 R3 - i76820HK - 8GB GTX980M - 16GB RAM - PCIe SSD + HDD Since I've had this I've noticed that there is an intermittent sound coming from the left side of the machine, and the best way I can describe it is as a cross between a soft click and a liquid drip.  It sometimes happens regularly, say every 5 seconds whilst other times it is silent. I've done a little research regarding this and someone mentioned it could be something to do with the power efficiency settings on the HDD causing the head to be stored when not required - is this true? I just want to find out if this is something other people have experience or if it is an anomaly and what could be the cause. I made a quick video of it where you can hear the noise a couple of times (at 2s and 7s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ0VvMstJwY
Yes this is a prebuilt Seagate 320GB drive. I noticed my BT Home Hub had a usb port so I thought this was the perfect workaround but although I can access the harddrive as a NAS and write to it, ... See more...
Yes this is a prebuilt Seagate 320GB drive. I noticed my BT Home Hub had a usb port so I thought this was the perfect workaround but although I can access the harddrive as a NAS and write to it, it is painfully slow 1-2MBs, which is apparently a limitation of the router. (1) I don't have a different cable to use, but to reiterate this cable is fine using the drive in Safe mode or on a Windows 7 PC. (2)  I've just formatted the drive using Windows 10 to an NTFS format (same as it already was) but still I continue to have issues accessing the drive as previously detailed. (3)  Crystal Disk Info tells me the disk is "Good" (4) Regarding installing the chipset and USB drivers can you please, at least for the moment, treat me like an idiot and point me directly to the drivers that I need to install since what I seen hasn't been at all intuitive. (5) I've tried deleting the ports in the Device Manager but they are recreated on reboot and the same issue exists.
Alienware 17 R3 (i7-6820HK, Windows 10 Home) I'm having trouble copying files to an external harddrive in Windows 10. Using the same external harddrive on a Windows 7 PC works fine. Ports on th... See more...
Alienware 17 R3 (i7-6820HK, Windows 10 Home) I'm having trouble copying files to an external harddrive in Windows 10. Using the same external harddrive on a Windows 7 PC works fine. Ports on the laptop that is having issues are USB 3.0 and I've removed and reinstalled the driver for both the USB controller and the external HDD. These are relatively large video files around 1.5 GBs in size, and I am able to copy FROM the drive OK, but trying to copy TO (copy -> Paste in Windows Explorer) the transfer will potentially start, then slow to 0 KBs and then eventually fail with Error 0x8007045D: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. The external harddrive then locks up and can only be reaccessed by removing and reinserting the USB connector. Now from advice on forums I have set the external harddrive to be accessed using the performance setting and enabled write caching on the device but still the transfers fail. Another suggestion was to use safe mode in Windows 10 which I tried and I was able to successfully complete the transfers here. Is it fair to assume that there is some difference between the USB drivers that are being used in safe mode and those being used when it runs normally?  How do I go about getting the latest drivers that are available?  I've looked on the Intel website and there's nothing available for Windows 10 and running the driver update on the Dell site tells me that the only updates are available are Chipset |Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework and Video |Intel HD Graphics Driver, neither of which appear relevant. TL;DR - Can write to external HDD only when running in Safe mode?
Unfortunately I've returned with bad news. The 560M that I reverted to has gone the same way as the 580M: It's been crashing a bit recently I thought due to heat but it just turned off and now I ... See more...
Unfortunately I've returned with bad news. The 560M that I reverted to has gone the same way as the 580M: It's been crashing a bit recently I thought due to heat but it just turned off and now I get nothing when I try to power on, also experiencing the light on the power adaptor going out when I plug it into the machine. Now is this likely to be another failed graphics card, or could there be something wrong with the motherboard which is causing the graphics cards to fail? Any thoughts or resolutions? Many thanks, Stephen
Hi all After my GTX580M died I returned to the original GTX560M that I had but it's also having issue.  When I'm gaming it will crash after some period of time, therefore I'm assuming that this... See more...
Hi all After my GTX580M died I returned to the original GTX560M that I had but it's also having issue.  When I'm gaming it will crash after some period of time, therefore I'm assuming that this is to do with something getting too hot.  The screen goes a solid colour (normally yellow or pink), I can hear the sound for a while, on rare occasions the screen will flicker and recover but normally I just have to hold the power button down to turn it off. FYI M17x-R3, i7 2720QM, GTX560M, 16GB, SDD + HDD, Windows 7 Pro I've repasted my GPU and CPU, cleaned the vents etc and I don't think the temps are actually that bad.  I'll update later with some temps I'm getting.  BTW I'm using HWInFo to for the fans to max out. Any thoughts? Thanks
I've just done some research so figured I would post here for completeness: forum.notebookreview.com/.../ 3D Mark 11 score went from 2040 to 7361, thanks an increase of 261%.  In my case the ... See more...
I've just done some research so figured I would post here for completeness: forum.notebookreview.com/.../ 3D Mark 11 score went from 2040 to 7361, thanks an increase of 261%.  In my case the score increase won't be so dramatic since I'm running a 560M but a good increase looks on the cards! Update: So I found a benchmark featuring my current setup and the 3D Mark 11 score was 2829, therefore I could potentially get a 160% increase, definitely seems worth doing.
Has anyone experienced utilising this processor with a 780M and do they have any comparative benchmarks or comments regarding the performance?
Hi all, I know this question has kind of been done to death but here goes. M17X-R3 | GTX560M | 120MHz Screen | 16GB RAM | i7 2720QM | SSD + HDD I want to upgrade the graphics card (previously... See more...
Hi all, I know this question has kind of been done to death but here goes. M17X-R3 | GTX560M | 120MHz Screen | 16GB RAM | i7 2720QM | SSD + HDD I want to upgrade the graphics card (previously I'd taken the easy step of upgrading to a 580M but unfortunately this card has failed) but since the graphics cards are expensive for already out of date tech I was to get some thoughts on what is my best bang for buck upgrade? I see that it's possible to go all the way up to a GTX 880M but this is very expensive, and being such a comparatively powerful card will the rest of the laptop be able to keep up with it? or will the card be bottlenecked greatly? What do you think would be a decent upgrade over the current GTX 560M without breaking the bank? I look forward to hearing your thoughts, especially if you are someone that has performed this upgrade! Many thanks
It's frustrating when researching a problem only to find someone else posting about it but never updating the post with a resolution, therefore: You sir might be my new best friend.  I'd never ... See more...
It's frustrating when researching a problem only to find someone else posting about it but never updating the post with a resolution, therefore: You sir might be my new best friend.  I'd never considered that the graphics card could be the problem, and having upgraded the card previously I had the original 560M sitting around.  I took the current card out and power was restored, although since there was no graphics card present (and the 120MHz screen can't boot on the integrated graphics) I got the expected 8 POST beeps.  I replaced the broken card with the original one, reassembled and so far so good.  The laptop has booted into windows, was completely happy with the current drivers installed. So I went from being on the verge of either sending my laptop away to get repaired or purchasing a new motherboard to having a functioning laptop. I can't say how thankful I am that you took the time to reply to my post.  Many thanks
M17X-R3, Windows 7 Pro, i7, 16GB, 580M A while ago I was suffering random shutdowns during gaming and came to the conclusion the GTX560M was failing, overheating etc. So I replaced this with a ... See more...
M17X-R3, Windows 7 Pro, i7, 16GB, 580M A while ago I was suffering random shutdowns during gaming and came to the conclusion the GTX560M was failing, overheating etc. So I replaced this with a GTX580M which as long as I manually kept the GPU fan maxed out solved the issue. Just now during gaming the laptop just differently turned off. Initially I couldn't reboot, so left it 5 minutes and then it rebooted into Windows. After about 10 minutes in windows (not gaming) the laptop turned off again. This time I can't get it to turn back on even after waiting some time, no post, no power light, no nothing. I noticed that the blue light on the power adaptor cable where it plugs into the laptop wasn't illuminated. I unplugged the power adaptor from the laptop and the mains, plugged it back into the mains and the blue light tightened as expected, but as soon as I plugged it into the laptop the blue light turns off. Any thoughts on the issue here?
Thanks for you response.  This has only happened a couple of times a week ago and hasn't happened again since.  I've changed my password to not feature any of the dodgy keys and am monitoring the... See more...
Thanks for you response.  This has only happened a couple of times a week ago and hasn't happened again since.  I've changed my password to not feature any of the dodgy keys and am monitoring the issue.  Is what I have experienced likely to be a precursor to the keys failing permanently?  If the problem reoccurs I will take you up on your offer of assistance. Regards, Stephen
Hi all Today I've been experiencing some keys working intermittently, and scarily one of them was included in my password.  The keys in questions are M,N,H.J.Y (all clustered together). Wha... See more...
Hi all Today I've been experiencing some keys working intermittently, and scarily one of them was included in my password.  The keys in questions are M,N,H.J.Y (all clustered together). What could be causing this and what can I do to resolve it please? Many thanks, Stephen
Fixed it! Upon checking the device manager for the monitor drivers I noticed that they were provided by "TeamViewer", must have been installed when I have used TeamViewer previously.  I simply... See more...
Fixed it! Upon checking the device manager for the monitor drivers I noticed that they were provided by "TeamViewer", must have been installed when I have used TeamViewer previously.  I simply selected to Rollback the monitor drivers to the Microsoft version and it was instantly fixed. I'm happy now :)
Reposting as this is really annoying me now :( Anyone got any ideas?
Hi Chris.  As I'm keen to get this resolved ASAP I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement via eBay.  Many thanks for your assistance.
Hi Chris.  I've swapped fan #1 with fan #4 and the LCD now reports an issue with fan #4, therefore I've managed to ascertain that the issue lies with the fan.  How do I go about getting a replacement... See more...
Hi Chris.  I've swapped fan #1 with fan #4 and the LCD now reports an issue with fan #4, therefore I've managed to ascertain that the issue lies with the fan.  How do I go about getting a replacement? Many thanks
Hi Chris.  From my experience with this issue I don't think it matters what the device is, I think it's a physical fault such as the USB connector shorting out on the port or something.  It happens s... See more...
Hi Chris.  From my experience with this issue I don't think it matters what the device is, I think it's a physical fault such as the USB connector shorting out on the port or something.  It happens straight from boot (and at any other time), so whilst the server is still posting any movement will cause it to hard-restart.  It also happens with various USB devices.  Windows Server 2003 is running on it.  Thanks, Stephen
Hi all I have an issue with my server which means whenever the USB directly under the ethernet connector is inserted or moved the system will instantly power-off and restart (short circuit?)  What ... See more...
Hi all I have an issue with my server which means whenever the USB directly under the ethernet connector is inserted or moved the system will instantly power-off and restart (short circuit?)  What is likely to be causing this issue and how can it be remedied? Many thanks, Stephen