Morgan Hill's Posts

Morgan Hill's Posts

Wonder of wonders: When I logged in today the warranty was miraculously restored.  I'm now logging into chat to relay my concerns.  Thanks for all your help
I appreciate the careful responses, and so a little more info.  I purchased directly from Dell.  Warranty status shows as more than 300 days left on the warranty.  But if I click on a link for suppor... See more...
I appreciate the careful responses, and so a little more info.  I purchased directly from Dell.  Warranty status shows as more than 300 days left on the warranty.  But if I click on a link for support it says warranty expired (for a system purchased June 4) - links that worked on July 9 didn't work on July 11 ?!?! I'll try the number - but everytime I try one of the contact numbers they ask for the system number and won't go further because the warranty is 'expired'. By the way, for everyone's interst - the problem that caused the problem in the first place had to do with Vista activation.  It turned out to be easy to fix, but the on line help person was going to have me reinstall Vista in a way I'd lose all data and have to reinstall all programs.  She was 'sorry' if it inconvienced me.  Be careful of poorly trained help personnel.
Thursday (July 9, 2009) I had dangerously poor Dell support via on line chat.  Had I followed the initial recommendation I would have lost all my data, been obliged to re-install all applications, an... See more...
Thursday (July 9, 2009) I had dangerously poor Dell support via on line chat.  Had I followed the initial recommendation I would have lost all my data, been obliged to re-install all applications, and not solved the problem.  After solving the problem on my own (when the on line chat crashed and the promised call back never happened), I decided to email or otherwise contact Dell to let them know of the problem and solotion so that service could be improved for future users.  I find myself barred from emailing or chatting or phoning product support because my warranty (for a computer bought a month ago with over 300 days left on the warranty) is classed as expired.  There is no record of an outstanding chat.  Even 'customer service' won't accept an email because my warranty has 'expired'.  The only option offered was to extend my 'expired' warranty at a cost.  I came here to post hoping that someone in Dell would be embarassed enough to contact me and correct both the expired warranty error and the inaccurate technical advice problem.