PineValley's Posts

PineValley's Posts

I'm on my way over the mountain with a donkey 2 Mexicans and a bottle of Tequila with a monitor...
  What you're discribing with the black screen around the edges sounds like a bad monitor. Try plugging the computer into a monitor that you know is good as a test, It could be the video card but do... See more...
  What you're discribing with the black screen around the edges sounds like a bad monitor. Try plugging the computer into a monitor that you know is good as a test, It could be the video card but doubt it.  Also if a computer just keeps restarting on its own that would be the driver. But with the black screen I'm pretty certain it's the monitor.
Doubt it's a stuck power switch? Cause when it does power on it should recognize a OS, it's not even getting there. Possibly a hard drive gone bad? Are you able to get into the BIOS or boot from the ... See more...
Doubt it's a stuck power switch? Cause when it does power on it should recognize a OS, it's not even getting there. Possibly a hard drive gone bad? Are you able to get into the BIOS or boot from the OS CD disk? The hard drive should have a smooth spinning sound when running. See if the hard drive is making unusual sounds, here's a link that may be of some help. datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php Also is the power supply fan running when the computer is powered up? Possible bad power supply, but when they go, alot of the time the computer is completely dead. Or if the power supply feels hot to the touch that is a bad indication. You can try and pull all the ram out and then power up the computer and shut it down. Then add one ram module back at a time as you power the computer on and off till you have them all back in place.
Hi osprey4,  just to clarify I didn't flash the BIOS till afterward. I had done a BIOS update which resulted in the exact same symptoms that Kevin is having, which the computer was never able to reco... See more...
Hi osprey4,  just to clarify I didn't flash the BIOS till afterward. I had done a BIOS update which resulted in the exact same symptoms that Kevin is having, which the computer was never able to recover from no matter what I tryed, I ended up scraping it for parts. I wouldn't  upgrade BIOS again, or re-install them as Kevin did. That's just my opinion. I believe they're a memory on the motherboard install by the motherboard manufacturer, and very difficult to work with unless you really know what you're doing, it can be a recipe for disaster.
rdunnill, all drivers are included with the XP disc, that came with the Dell 4600.  A pirated or boot legged OS is trying to be installed
Do not upgrade the cpu. It is the worse hardware attempt to make. The computer will probably not even start after you do. Trust what I am telling you.
The windows XP operating system is not the one that came with the Dell 4600 or you would not need drivers they would be on it already. Even if you bought a retail version of XP for the Dell 4600 it w... See more...
The windows XP operating system is not the one that came with the Dell 4600 or you would not need drivers they would be on it already. Even if you bought a retail version of XP for the Dell 4600 it would not need a chip set driver right off the computer would fire up. Can you be more specific with the problem you're having?
Kevin, not to discourage you from getting this computer running correctly but I think you made a grave mistake changing around the BIOS? This past year I updated the BIOS on one of my older compute... See more...
Kevin, not to discourage you from getting this computer running correctly but I think you made a grave mistake changing around the BIOS? This past year I updated the BIOS on one of my older computers and got the same symptoms where the computer would start on it's on and not keep the correct time, I was never able to recover from it. I changed the CMOS battery on the motherboard thinking it may have been bad and changed the jumpers on the motherboard around as recommended by the manufacturer, I think it's called flashing the BIOS or motherboard, nothing worked. Are you sure you have the correct BIOS version? The BIOS update version I had used was right from the manufacturers website and still did the computer in. Myself I wouldn't deal with BIOS again unless the computer was new and the manufacturer like Dell had a recommended and important BIOS update, and if no hardware had been changed in the computer before the update was recommended. You could try starting the computer with no ram in it then shut down and repeat this process installing one ram stick at a time and shitting down. Or try swapping out ram if you have any spare ram. Sometimes ram gets corrupted. Worth a try, but I think you have a BIOS issue that's going to be hard to recover from.
I'd try pulling all the ram out of the motherboard. Then try starting the computer with no ram in it, you should hear a beep, then turn the computer off, you may have to force quit it. Now add one ra... See more...
I'd try pulling all the ram out of the motherboard. Then try starting the computer with no ram in it, you should hear a beep, then turn the computer off, you may have to force quit it. Now add one ram stick only and start the computer. If it does start up. Then add back one ram stick at a time and turn off until you get them all back in place.
Thanks for your post. I haven't got back to working on the 4700 yet but when I do I'll post back.
You may find this link of  interest, read the fourth post down. forums.cnet.com/.../error-return-code-7-hard-drive-failure Also some info on hard drives. datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
If it was that easy on this 4700 I would not even be posting here. I appreciate your time in looking up the driver which I already have. But apparently you didn't read my last post or fully understan... See more...
If it was that easy on this 4700 I would not even be posting here. I appreciate your time in looking up the driver which I already have. But apparently you didn't read my last post or fully understand it. I think I may have to uninstall one of the Intel(R) from the system but not sure which one, possibly the PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1. Not sure why it has two in the Device Manager. Or if it should. Maybe I installed the Dell driver twice? I doubt I'll find anyone here that has good info on this. I have two identical Dell 4700 computers so I may do a trial and error till I figure it out.
The video card is a nvidia MX 4000 for PCI slot. When I installed the card the computer did not recognize it and when trying to install the driver it could not locate the card. Yes one monitor was wo... See more...
The video card is a nvidia MX 4000 for PCI slot. When I installed the card the computer did not recognize it and when trying to install the driver it could not locate the card. Yes one monitor was working correctly In Device Manager under Display Adapters it shows - Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL  twice??? Then under Properties showing One having PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0 The other PCI bus0, device 2, function 1 When I disabled The Intel(R)82915G/GV/910GL  the one having PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0 the the nvidia card showed up in Device Manager and the driver for the GeForce MX 4000 installed. In the Display Control Panel > Settings it showed display 1 & 2, where you'd drag the monitor to match the physical arrangement of your monitors. And the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor was active. But the second monitor would not respond. Also the nvidia never showed in the control panel Settings, both Intel(R) did though. I restarted only to have a terrible time getting the BIOS back functioning. Thought I lost the computer. The strange thing is once I got the computer back running with the nvidia card and driver removed. The Display Control Panel under Settings still shows two monitors to drag in place. It also showed that before I even started this whole process. I think it has something to do with the two Intel(R) in the Device Manager -  Display Adapters I've giving up on this project unless you may happen to have a solution. The computer has a 3.40 cpu with 2 GB of ram and runs well so I might as well leave it as is. The BIOS took me some work to get back.
  I'm trying to set up dual monitors on a Dell Dimension 4700. Using a Nvidia video card in the PCI slot on the motherboard. I've done this on many computers but cannot get it to take on this Dell. ... See more...
  I'm trying to set up dual monitors on a Dell Dimension 4700. Using a Nvidia video card in the PCI slot on the motherboard. I've done this on many computers but cannot get it to take on this Dell. I tryed changing the BIOS from auto to onboard . The card is good it will run dual monitors on another computer I have. So I'm missing something, if anyone has any useful info I'd appreciate it.