2004_4600's Posts

2004_4600's Posts

Hi SpeedStep, Thanks, I know you can't remove the integrated GPU. My question was: " if I remove the discrete GPU will the integrated graphics automatically turn on without any need to change any... See more...
Hi SpeedStep, Thanks, I know you can't remove the integrated GPU. My question was: " if I remove the discrete GPU will the integrated graphics automatically turn on without any need to change any settings or drivers? " I suspect the answer is yes, but if you know for sure, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Hi Sundeep, You write that " the system automatically disables the integrated GPU whenever a video card is installed in the PCI Express slot of system." Does it work the opposite way too--if I remo... See more...
Hi Sundeep, You write that " the system automatically disables the integrated GPU whenever a video card is installed in the PCI Express slot of system." Does it work the opposite way too--if I remove the discrete GPU will the integrated graphics automatically turn on without any need to change any settings or drivers? I think this will be my last question. Thanks for all your help. Walter
Thanks Sundeep for the info. I agree with you that it's hard to find reviews for these OEM cards. In fact the comparison you link to is apparently based on a different version of the HD7570--with 1G ... See more...
Thanks Sundeep for the info. I agree with you that it's hard to find reviews for these OEM cards. In fact the comparison you link to is apparently based on a different version of the HD7570--with 1G GDDR3 (which you caution Yan12345 from getting) instead of the GDDR5 that the stock XPS 8700's card comes with. AMD's own spec sheet for the HD7570, which I assume is accurate, http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Radeon_HD_7570_GPU_Feature_Summary.pdf makes the distinction between the two types of memory and says that the one with GDDR5 has a 64 GB/s memory bandwidth instead of 28.8 on the GDDR3 model (which your linked comparison, perhaps incorrectly, cites as 25.6 GB/s). The AMD sheet does not give many of the specs cited in the comparison but I assume the GDDR5 version is superior in many of them, so that a true performance comparison would not as strongly favor the nVidea over the AMD. I'm not sure that the thermal differences are as big as the comparison states, but it does make sense that the AMD uses less power than the nVidea so I ordered my 8700 with the stock AMD. After I get my computer I am tempted to try removing the AMD card and just rely on the i-7-4770's excellent integrated graphics (I am not considering underclocking the video card--I try to do as little fiddlin as possible) in order to save the AMD's power use and fan noise (am I right to assume it does have its own fan?). Is this ok? If so, will I have to adjust any settings or drivers? I have been told that modern computers sense the presence or absence of a discrete GPU and turn off and on the integrated graphics as needed. Is this your understanding as well? Thanks for your help.
Thanks for the info. So you're saying integrated audio has gotten much better since I bought my other three computers. I'm going to take your advice and skip the sound card for now.
HI, The three Dell desktops I own (1998 XPS R450, 2002 Dimension 4550, 2004 Dimension 4600) all came with discrete sound cards. But the XPS 8700 I'm considering buying doesn't even offer a sound ca... See more...
HI, The three Dell desktops I own (1998 XPS R450, 2002 Dimension 4550, 2004 Dimension 4600) all came with discrete sound cards. But the XPS 8700 I'm considering buying doesn't even offer a sound card as an option. Instead it says it has "Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4", which I assume is audio software.Some questions: Is this typical of current high-end desktops? Is the hardware side of audio now handled by the CPU (I'm probably getting an i7-4770)? Does it do it as well (or better) than discrete sound cards used to do it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Thanks, I've seen those pages before. But the AMD one does not give any power consumption information. Do you have that data, perhaps from Dell's internal documentation? Do you have any informatio... See more...
Thanks, I've seen those pages before. But the AMD one does not give any power consumption information. Do you have that data, perhaps from Dell's internal documentation? Do you have any information about my other three questions? 1) What are the performance differences between the two video cards? 2) Can you turn the discrete graphics card off (using the BIOS or another method) when not doing graphics intensive tasks and just rely on the integrated graphics of the CPU? 3) Can you confirm that the noise data for the XPS 8500 vs XPS 8700 is correct? Have you heard either machine? If so, how would you describe their noise levels? Thanks. Any information would be appreciated.
Has anyone used an XPS 8500 and/or 8700 with both the current video card choices, AMD Radeon HD7570 and nVidea GeForce GTX 645? If so, I'm curious whether there's a noticeable performance difference ... See more...
Has anyone used an XPS 8500 and/or 8700 with both the current video card choices, AMD Radeon HD7570 and nVidea GeForce GTX 645? If so, I'm curious whether there's a noticeable performance difference between them in multitasking or photo or low-level video editing. I'm not a gamer, though I'm curious whether there's a difference there either. Failing that, if you've used an XPS with one or the other of the video cards, any comments on performance would be welcome. NVidea's site says the 645 max power usage is 130 watts, which is very high. I can't find the spec on AMD's site for the 7570 but another site says its max is 44 watts. If that's right, I'd guess the 8700 would be quieter with the AMD, since it should require less fan cooling. Also, do you know if you can turn the discrete graphics card off (using the BIOS or another method) when not doing graphics intensive tasks and just rely on the integrated graphics of the CPU? Incidentally, Dell's Environmental Data sheets have much lower noise levels for the XPS 8500 than the 8700 (only the first column, 'sound power' is found on the specs for both models):  hard drive access: 2.56 db vs 4.1 optical drive access: 3.88 v 5.2 Post idle: 2.53 v 4.0 Do these numbers look reasonable? Not sure why this would be the case, though the max power usage for the 8700 is listed as higher too (122 v 87 watts), though the 8700 uses less at idle (41 v 45 watts) Any help would be appreciated as I'm hoping to buy the machine today or tomorrow.
I'm considering buying an XPS 8700 with the i7-4770 processor and wonder if you know the manufacturer and model number of these components on it: Motherboard Hard Drive (1T) Memory (8G) If an... See more...
I'm considering buying an XPS 8700 with the i7-4770 processor and wonder if you know the manufacturer and model number of these components on it: Motherboard Hard Drive (1T) Memory (8G) If anyone has purchased the same machine and taken a look inside I'd appreciate any info. Thanks
I am about to buy an XPS 8700 and am choosing between the AMD Radeon HD 7570 (standard) and the nVidea GeForce GTX 645 ($50 extra). In which applications will I notice the difference between the two ... See more...
I am about to buy an XPS 8700 and am choosing between the AMD Radeon HD 7570 (standard) and the nVidea GeForce GTX 645 ($50 extra). In which applications will I notice the difference between the two cards--running many applications at once, photo editing, gaming, etc.? Also, I want my machine to be as quiet as possible (my old Dimension 4550 and 4600 are annoyingly noisy) and wonder which uses more power and therefore generates more heat, requiring more fan cooling. NVidea's site says the 645 max power usage is 130 watts, which is very high. I can't find the spec on AMD's site for the 7570 but another site says its max is 44 watts. If that's right, I'd guess the 8700 would be quieter with the AMD. Also, do you know if you can turn the discrete graphics card off (using the BIOS or another method) when not doing graphics intensive tasks and just rely on the integrated graphics of the CPU? Finally, Dell's Environmental Data sheets have much lower noise levels for the XPS 8500 than the 8700 (only the first column, 'sound power' is found on the specs for both models):  hard drive access: 2.56 db vs 4.1 optical drive access: 3.88 v 5.2 idle: 2.53 v 4.0 Not sure why this would be the case, though the max power usage for the 8700 is listed as higher too (122 v 87 watts), though the 8700 uses less at idle (41 v 45 watts) Any help would be appreciated as I'm hoping to buy the machine today or tomorrow.
Davet50, Per  your suggestion, I checked the Device Manager and under 'Network adapters' the 'Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection' does not have a '!' or 'X' next to it. i agree that it is odd that... See more...
Davet50, Per  your suggestion, I checked the Device Manager and under 'Network adapters' the 'Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection' does not have a '!' or 'X' next to it. i agree that it is odd that the lightning didn't ruin the modem, router, the network card on my other computer (it's PCI rather than integrated--perhaps they are more robust?), or the entire system board on my 4600, but I guess it must have destroyed the integrated NIC on my 4600--there's no other possibility if the computer shows the NIC as properly functioning, right? I am glad that I can buy a $20 part instead of a $200 system board! So the USB NIC wouldn't be any slower than a PCI one? If they're the same speed, I'll go with a PCI one to save my USB jacks and avoid another piece of external equipment. My local Staples has a 10/100/1000 Netgear adapter for $23, which I think I'll get even if the 1000 speed won't be needed. Thanks for all your help.
After a lightning storm two days ago, neither of my Dell computers, both of which are connected to the same wired router fed by a Comcast cable modem, would connect to the Internet. With the help ... See more...
After a lightning storm two days ago, neither of my Dell computers, both of which are connected to the same wired router fed by a Comcast cable modem, would connect to the Internet. With the help of Dell support, I reset my Dimension 4550’s IP address, which allowed me to connect again. However, my Dimension 4600 is showing no IP address at all and there is no light where the Ethernet cable plugs into the NIC on the back of the computer, even when I use the same cable which is working for the 4550. Comcast support says this means my NIC was fried by the lighting. I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:  1) Is Comcast correct in saying my NIC is dead or might there be a setting on the computer that needs to be reset? 2) My NIC is the original equipment 'integrated Intel Pro 10/100', which I think means it is connected to the system board and cannot be replaced without replacing the system board. Do I have to replace the entire system board or can I install a PCI NIC in my 4600 (I have an empty PCI slot)? Who makes a good PCI NIC (my 4550 has an Intel, but I don't think they make them anymore)? 3) If the answer to 2 is yes, how will my computer know to use the PCI card instead of the dead integrated one? 4) A Dell telephone salesman mentioned I could use a USB connected NIC. He said it is made by SMC, though I cannot find it on Dell’s site. If a USB NIC would work, how would its performance compare to my original integrated one or to a new PCI NIC? Can you recommend a good USB NIC? 5) I have a surge protector for the computers’ electrical inputs but not for the Ethernet cable. Is there such a thing as an Ethernet surge suppressor?  Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.