Kate_Smith's Posts

Kate_Smith's Posts

Hello, I have an Aurora R4 built late 2011. When purchased I payed the extra money to have it overclocked from 3.9 to 4.2. i did a bios update awhile back,  i had taken a break from gaming for aw... See more...
Hello, I have an Aurora R4 built late 2011. When purchased I payed the extra money to have it overclocked from 3.9 to 4.2. i did a bios update awhile back,  i had taken a break from gaming for awhile so just regular use of the computer i didn't really notice, but once i started gaming again i found it was not what it used to be. i started checking system settings to see what it was running at and found its back down at the 3.9. i was told by a friend that if you do a bios update you lose the overclocking. How do i get it back?? Ive seen a few different things on you tube but i'm not willing to start guessing and fry my pc. so i wanted to ask you guys. i feel if i paid for it in the first place i deserve to keep it even after doing an update. hopefully someone can help! Thanks, Kate
Thanks Milena, My BIOS is already up to date with A07. just updated it a few weeks ago as i was having cooling issues, they just changed the liquid cooler and fan.
Thanks for the quick reply. So I gave that a try, the disable auto power on was already set to disabled. But i did change the ac recovery to off  and changed the suspend mode to disabled as wel... See more...
Thanks for the quick reply. So I gave that a try, the disable auto power on was already set to disabled. But i did change the ac recovery to off  and changed the suspend mode to disabled as well. gave it a try and the pc still boots its self back up. any other suggestions? I mean im just worried about frying it if the power flickers. i live in the city so it happens randomly. but if its not going to harm it i can leave it as is.
Ok so I have noticed since i bought my new Alienware Aurora R4 desktop that even with a good power bar if the power goes out and comes back on the pc will boot its self back up. Every other de... See more...
Ok so I have noticed since i bought my new Alienware Aurora R4 desktop that even with a good power bar if the power goes out and comes back on the pc will boot its self back up. Every other desktop pc I have ever owned was set up so that if the power went out, it shut down. then when the power came back on it would stay shut down. I had to turn it on myself. But this Alienware will shut down when the power goes out. then as soon as the power comes back on it boots up instantly. First i thought it was a power bar issue, but i have tried 3 different power bars, and my other pc (hp desktop) still stays shut down. Im just wondering if you guys know if there is some setting i have to manually change?? Thanks!
Thanks for the responses. I did check the core temps with that link provided. all four cores were at the max 100C. So I followed your recommendation and called dell tech support. they got me to e... See more...
Thanks for the responses. I did check the core temps with that link provided. all four cores were at the max 100C. So I followed your recommendation and called dell tech support. they got me to enter the F12 boot function and ran a test. found the temp at 104C and it shut down almost instantly. They are going to be sending a tech tomorrow to replace the cooler. and hopefully everything else is ok. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. still quite disappointed things need to be replaced already, not even a year old yet.. but at least its warranty.
Hi, So here is my story/issue.... My computer is an Alienware Aurora R4 desktop. It is less then a year old. This issue started about 5 days ago now. I have called the dell tech support tw... See more...
Hi, So here is my story/issue.... My computer is an Alienware Aurora R4 desktop. It is less then a year old. This issue started about 5 days ago now. I have called the dell tech support twice. and they dont seem to want to help, I have gotten frustrated with the phone so im hoping this will work... So here is the issue: My system fan keeps running up at 4150-5000 RPM, and only goes down to about 1400-2200RPM during idle. Today it has started to randomly shut down. I have been watching the 3 ambient temp sensors which all stay at 24-26 degrees Celsius. The PCI and hard drive fans are good at around 1456 and 1089 rpm.   At first the RPM only went up while i was gaming. but it didn't take long and now whenever i try to do anything it will get very loud and rpm goes crazy. Originality my PC would idle at about 1200-1400rpm and only go up to 2200-2400rpm when gaming. its almost as if it is under high load when its not. and its cool so im sure its not over heating.   I have taken the pc apart and thoroughly cleaned all fans and boards of dust with the correct compressed air. I have confirmed everything is correctly plugged in. When this did not help, i found the BIOS was at version A05 so I updated to the A07.  I ran the Dell PC Diag and it passed, the alienware autopsy passed, Ive ran multiple McAfee virus scans, reinstalled the Alienware command center and ran the dell pc checkup -which found issues. I payed and installed the system mechanic and fixed these issues.   The first time i called Dell tech support the guy was very friendly and i didn't catch his name. All he did was mess around with my video card settings (not sure why as its only the system fan connected to the rad and pump that is the issue) he said it needed to be updated so he updated my video card and that was it. told me he would email me the next day to check up on if it worked or not. He never did get back into contact with me, and i didnt get his email address either. But All that did was add to the issue.. because ever since he did this update my gaming experience is terrible. I only play World of Warcraft currently. Normally my FPS are 75-100 FPS and now they jump around a bit, but mainly sit at 2-17 FPS and occasionally go to 50 FPS if i dont move. So im guessing that's just settings issue... my card is a AMD Radeon 7870 2GB   So then i called back again a day later. and the next guy was not as friendly. didnt give me his name either. he wouldnt do anything, he just told me that the notes from the last call said that it was not an over heating issue, and that it was completely normal. im sorry but my house is way cooler in the summer then it is in the winter, and the temps are always even and stable. its blowing very cool air and a strong amount of air. he would not listen at all.    then the next day it stays at 4150 RPM for 90% of the day instead of 60% of the day. even if im not using it. And it has randomly shut itself down multiple times. from what i can find on these forums and online thats like a fail safe mode... so obviously it is not normal!   As today is the first day it has started shutting down i wanted to run the diag tests again but as soon as i try, it runs for a few mins then the pc shuts down. The computer is running sluggish too, but this may be a different issue. I did manage to get the dell diag and the system mechanic to run tests, and they passed too. im at a total loss....   The air coming from the system fan is very strong and cool so i do not feel there is any over heating going on. As far as i can tell the pump is working correctly and all fans are spinning.   This pc is less then a year old, so there is still warranty on it, as well as i have purchased another year of warranty shortly before this started actually.. And i dont want to try anything else without some help as i dont want to damage anything or ruin my warranty coverage   I would very much appreciate any help im at a major loss of what to do, and feel the tech support will start ignoring me if i call back any more. If you can help out you can best reach me at my email which is k.k._smith@hotmail.com. Or respond to this conversation.   Thank you, and hope to hear from you,   Katelin
Hello, (sorry wasnt able to find how to send a pm, new to this site.) I am having a very similar issue with my pc. I have been checking through forums and I have tried everything they suggest. I ... See more...
Hello, (sorry wasnt able to find how to send a pm, new to this site.) I am having a very similar issue with my pc. I have been checking through forums and I have tried everything they suggest. I have contacted Dell tech support 2 times. the first guy was very helpful, tried a few things and told me he would email me the next day to check if it was working. he never contacted me and i didnt catch his name. I called again a couple days later and the next guy tells me theres nothing wrong and doesnt seem to even want to look at it. this issue started 5 days ago, i know its not normal.  I have a hard time talking on the phone and would much rather talk to a alienware tech through email or something. I see you have alot of knowledge and I was wondering if you would be willing to help? I know i should make my own thread, but i wanted to ask you first. I just dont know what else to try.. my computers not even a year old yet.. thanks, hope you can help. Kate