AntonioRoberts's Posts

AntonioRoberts's Posts

I recently bought the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (9350). A month or so into using it the SD card reader suddenly stopped working. The output of lspci (attached) shows that the card reader isn't ev... See more...
I recently bought the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (9350). A month or so into using it the SD card reader suddenly stopped working. The output of lspci (attached) shows that the card reader isn't even being recognised. I have spoken with technical support over twitter and they referred me to this link which didn't solve the issue. I have also updated the BIOS. Today (1st December) I have had an engineer on site to address the problem. I explained that the problem has persisted on Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10. They replaced the card reader but still the problem exists. I'm awaiting a call from the technicians but in the meantime does anyone have any insight into what might be causing this?
I have a Dell XPS 13 from 2013. Perhaps for as long as I've had the laptop I sometimes get accidental middle clicks/middle click emulation. I can tell this is happening because text in my clipboard... See more...
I have a Dell XPS 13 from 2013. Perhaps for as long as I've had the laptop I sometimes get accidental middle clicks/middle click emulation. I can tell this is happening because text in my clipboard pastes itself (default behaviour on Ubuntu) at random times. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can disable it?
I have several external displays that I connect to my laptop (800x600, 1660x1050). When I put an application, such as Totem, Pure Data or Eye of Gnome, full screen (via F11) in the external display... See more...
I have several external displays that I connect to my laptop (800x600, 1660x1050). When I put an application, such as Totem, Pure Data or Eye of Gnome, full screen (via F11) in the external display, the display on the primary screen (my laptop) starts to act weird and not refresh properly. Examples: Is there a way to fix this? I have a Dell XPS 13 developer edition running Ubuntu 13.10 with Intel® Ivybridge Mobile graphics and Intel® Core™ i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz × 4 processors.
Has anyone had their Intel 62xx WiFi card replaced with a Killer 1202?  Dell have now switched from using the Intels to the Killer cards, that must be for a reason. I originally had ... See more...
Has anyone had their Intel 62xx WiFi card replaced with a Killer 1202?  Dell have now switched from using the Intels to the Killer cards, that must be for a reason. I originally had an Intel one that got replaced with a Killer card. The performance increase was notable but a few weeks later got worse again. A couple of days ago I received a replacement XPS13 and it had a Killer card. I occasionally had wifi problems until today when I uninstalled network manager and installed Wicd. My issue wasn't that internet was slow, just that if I was more than a metre away from the router the signal would drop dramatically (of course resulting in speed decrease). With Wicd this doesn't happen anymore
I'd recommend reporting a bug in the dell-sputnik Launchpad project (https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bugs)--including the usual system debugging information Launchpad asks for--and als... See more...
I'd recommend reporting a bug in the dell-sputnik Launchpad project (https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bugs)--including the usual system debugging information Launchpad asks for--and also making sure to include the information recommended on the Network Manager wiki page here: https://wiki.gnome.org/NetworkManager/ I'll add to that list the brand and model of one of the APs you're trying to connect to when you're collecting this debugging information. If you can, collect all this both with and without Network Manager as part of the equation. I'm currently using Ubuntu 13.10 which doesn't use the sputnik kernel. Should I still report bugs against it? Fair enough. So even with the factory installed Ubuntu 12.04, you saw consistently weak signals and connection drops? Yes
If you can, it would really help if you could provide information about what APs you're connecting to since Dell Support has not been able to reproduce these errors. What information wo... See more...
If you can, it would really help if you could provide information about what APs you're connecting to since Dell Support has not been able to reproduce these errors. What information would you need? I've connected to several connections including my home network, public library and at other locations. If you let me know what you need I'll try and provide it I would also recommend trying to remove Network Manager from the equation to see if the behavior is any better. I suspect so if NM is the one that's crashing. Can you recommend a replacement? I've heard ok things about wicd but haven't investigated much I can assure you that no corners were cut with the change in wireless cards. (Actually, I notice that the Killer 1202 (a.k.a. Atheros 9462) can be bought for less than the Intel Advanced-N 6235.) You would have to talk to ProSupport if you're desiring a refund or replacement. I'm now getting a replacement :-) I was having other issues so I'm glad I can hopefully get a system that works! Also, Antonio, you mentioned difficulty with Ubuntu 13.04 and with 13.10. What behavior did you see with the 12.04 installation that comes with the system? My wireless card was replaced soon after I got the system. So, the wireless wasn't that good even then. I've been consistently getting weak signal and drops in connection.
If I see another CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED message in the syslog i'm going to smash the thing up.  Took a risk going 'Dell' against the advice of my colleagues (software engineers for a very well... See more...
If I see another CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED message in the syslog i'm going to smash the thing up.  Took a risk going 'Dell' against the advice of my colleagues (software engineers for a very well known internet company) and I'm now seriously starting to regret the decision I've upgraded to 13.10 and I'm still having wifi issues, despite having a new wireless card installed (Atheros AR9462). I've checked my logs and I'm getting this message often: NetworkManager[901]: <warn> nl_recvmsgs() error: (-33) Dump inconsistency detected, interrupted whoopsie[1259]: online I've now had Dell technicians operate on my machines five times in two months. How can I get a refund or replacement?
I'm running 13.04 on the XPS 13 with the AR9462 card and still having slow internet. I've tried installing linux-generic-lts-quantal but it's saying it can't be found. Does anyone have any suggesti... See more...
I'm running 13.04 on the XPS 13 with the AR9462 card and still having slow internet. I've tried installing linux-generic-lts-quantal but it's saying it can't be found. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I had upgraded to Ubuntu 13.04 and the backlight stopped working. After I upgraded my graphics driver it now works without any additionally tweaking. I got it from here http://01.org/
It seems you can force xrandr to output via DP1 http://askubuntu.com/a/167385/6689 Not a great solution but it works
I upgraded my laptop to Ubuntu 13.04 and noticed that there's two partitions on the drive, OS and Dell Utility (screenshot: http://imgur.com/75PElV7 ) What are these and how can I make them go away... See more...
I upgraded my laptop to Ubuntu 13.04 and noticed that there's two partitions on the drive, OS and Dell Utility (screenshot: http://imgur.com/75PElV7 ) What are these and how can I make them go away? Do I need them?
Entering this command worked for me: echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
For the factory defaul should I just install the file at "Sputnik ISO"? Does this contain everything including drivers and the Dell Utilities packages?
I upgraded my Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition laptop from 12.04 to 13.04 and now it seems the Mini Display Port isn't working at all (though I didn't have the chance to test it in 12.04). I've tried ... See more...
I upgraded my Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition laptop from 12.04 to 13.04 and now it seems the Mini Display Port isn't working at all (though I didn't have the chance to test it in 12.04). I've tried using an Apple-branded Mini DP to VGA adaptor and a generic Mini DP to HDMI adaptor and neither is detected. Here's my terminal output:   hellocatfood@computerfood:~$ xrandr -q   Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767   eDP1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 294mm x 165mm      1920x1080      60.0*+   59.9     40.0      1680x1050      60.0     59.9      1600x1024      60.2      1400x1050      60.0      1280x1024      60.0      1440x900       59.9      1280x960       60.0      1360x768       59.8     60.0      1152x864       60.0      1024x768       60.0      800x600        60.3     56.2      640x480        59.9   VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)   HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)   DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) Any suggestions for making this work are very welcome!