Origin3k's Posts

Origin3k's Posts

Great!   Be sure that you use the latest Dell SC vSphere Best Practice Guide because it contains the latest how to configure SC SAS with vSphere 6.7 informations. The upcoming SCOS 7.4 is around t... See more...
Great!   Be sure that you use the latest Dell SC vSphere Best Practice Guide because it contains the latest how to configure SC SAS with vSphere 6.7 informations. The upcoming SCOS 7.4 is around the corner and bring full vSphere 6.7 support. You can hold your breath.   Regards Joerg
You havent told us what kind of frontend connectivity your SCv have. A SCv SAS is only supportet on 13/14.Gen Poweredge Server which means T/R x30 or x40. If youre speaking about iSCSI or FC it hav... See more...
You havent told us what kind of frontend connectivity your SCv have. A SCv SAS is only supportet on 13/14.Gen Poweredge Server which means T/R x30 or x40. If youre speaking about iSCSI or FC it have nothing todo with the Server it self. You have to verify the HBA and the OS which runs on the server. Just look into https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_solutions_int/esuprt_solutions_int_solutions_resources/general-solution-resources_white-papers2_en-us.pdf Note: Using a SSD Only Storage with a >10 old Server is a joke right? Regards Joerg
You will not find a single paper which showing that connecting a SC SAS to  non dell PowerEdge 13/14. Gen together with the Dell 12G SAS HBA is supportet. Sorry. Will it work? Most likely yes! But n... See more...
You will not find a single paper which showing that connecting a SC SAS to  non dell PowerEdge 13/14. Gen together with the Dell 12G SAS HBA is supportet. Sorry. Will it work? Most likely yes! But nobody will gurantee. We have connceted a SC5020 against 2 4x CPU Socket HPE Proliants with HP 12G SAS HBAs without trouble. Customer switch 6 month later to 4 R740 because the HPE runs out of support. We have connceted a SCv2020 against Fujitsu RX Server with their 12G SAS HBAs. We have connected a SCv2020 against Whitebox Server by using Dell 12G SAS HBAs. So when ever possible we use the Major Server Vendors and there 12G SAS HBAs because outerwise you will unable to monitor and upgrade FW to that devices.   But if possible you should avoid this kind of setup.   Regards Joerg  
Well.... if you would like to remove a disk from a SC because you would like to place it into another slot or enclosure you have to tick the "Release Disk" button first  so that the SC can evacuate a... See more...
Well.... if you would like to remove a disk from a SC because you would like to place it into another slot or enclosure you have to tick the "Release Disk" button first  so that the SC can evacuate all data away. If the disk is empty the SC mark the disk as "ready to remove" and place it into the unassigned folder. If you rip of the disk (with or without data on) the SC will mark the disk as faulty and you cant put it into action again. Yes... than you need to call CoPilot or today ProSupport and need to explain what you have done and support will check the disk and mark them as healthy again. Technicly you dont need the gap and it doesnt matter where you have placed the discs within a enclosure. But i am a fan of grouping simlar things together and i dont like "chaos".   Regards Joerg
Just take a look into VMware HCL for Storage Center SAS Right now the latest best practice Guide https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_solutions_int/esuprt_solutions_int_solutions_r... See more...
Just take a look into VMware HCL for Storage Center SAS Right now the latest best practice Guide https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_solutions_int/esuprt_solutions_int_solutions_resources/general-solution-resources_white-papers8_en-us.pdf Take a look to chapter 6.12 and D1.   How to setup a SAS SC for VMware https://downloads.dell.com/solutions/storage-solution-resources/VMware-with-SAS-FE%20Solutions-Guide-SC-Series-Dell-EMC-2017-(3027-CD-VM).pdf   The question about the right driver https://www.dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/how11081/preparing-vmware-esxi-hosts-to-attach-to-scv20x0-scv30x0-sc4020-sc5020-sas-arrays?lang=en and the new setting for vSphere 6.7 https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67006 together with 4.2.3 from the BP Guide.   Regards Joerg  
1. Yes. You dont setup RAID levels directly. Because you have two different type of Disks the System will place the fastest ones in TIER1 and the slowest into TIER3.  For these TIERs you will config... See more...
1. Yes. You dont setup RAID levels directly. Because you have two different type of Disks the System will place the fastest ones in TIER1 and the slowest into TIER3.  For these TIERs you will configure the number of disk failures you wanna survive... Single Redundancy for surviving a single disk failure which ends in RAID10 and RAID5 or Dual Redundancy which ends up as RAID10DM and RAID6. You can change it later..... but be smart and think about before start placing your data on the system. 2. If and into which pool a new disk is placed depends on the configuration and on your SCOS/Modell. In the past there was an Unassigned Folder. Somewhere in the docs/release notes they mentioned that it goes into a used default folder. Adding a disk only adds more capacity to the system and increase the free space area. Than you need to expand an existing Volume, Rescan for disk changes on the Host and expand the existing Host Filesystem (NTFS/Windows or VMFS/ESXI).  Addings a disk needs only a few seconds... but the rebalancing for the existing data can took some time(its a background process). The new space is immediately available. If we setup a System with 30 slots with different types and less disks than slots we rearrange the disks so that we have a hole in the middle. If you install the CITV you will get an plugin for the webclient in vsphere vcenter which can help in creating new datastore or expanding existing one because the plugin orchestrate all steps including these which needs to be done on the SAN.  Note! CITV 4./5.0 dont run with vcenter 6.7.x. We have to wait until SCOS 7.4 is released next month.   Regards Joerg
Hehehhehe..... right now the company is DellEMC and maybe in the near Feature Dell Technology.   DellEMC renamed the brand "Compellent" to  "SC" (StorageCenter) a long time ago. Dell bought Compellen... See more...
Hehehhehe..... right now the company is DellEMC and maybe in the near Feature Dell Technology.   DellEMC renamed the brand "Compellent" to  "SC" (StorageCenter) a long time ago. Dell bought Compellent in early 2011 and with the launch of Compellent SC8000 and SC4020 or shortly after they renamed Compellent to SC. Our SC220 bezels are labeld with Compellent :) So for the VMware HCL select both Dell and DellEMC as company name and search for the term "Center". You will see different entries based on frontend connectivity like FC, iSCSI and SAS.  They always certified a Storage Center OS Version like 6.6, 7.2,7.3 rather than a modells like SCv2020 or SCv3020. So when SCOS7.3 is available on SCv3020 than its good for vSphere.   Regards Joerg    
You cant change the page size after initialization of a SC.   Regards Joerg
None of the single socket servers with intel cpu comes as a 10 core version. So you have to start with 4x0 an up. Also the 440 is not part of the wave 1 so there is Cascade lake yet (comes later this ... See more...
None of the single socket servers with intel cpu comes as a 10 core version. So you have to start with 4x0 an up. Also the 440 is not part of the wave 1 so there is Cascade lake yet (comes later this year). Regards Joerg
In the past 6-7 years we setup around 30-40 of these SAS storage system starting with PowerVault MD3 (32xx, 34xx) and than moving to SCv2020,3020 and even 5020 for customer who never have a need for ... See more...
In the past 6-7 years we setup around 30-40 of these SAS storage system starting with PowerVault MD3 (32xx, 34xx) and than moving to SCv2020,3020 and even 5020 for customer who never have a need for more than 4 Hosts.  vSphere supports this kind of setups[1] for ages now. Yes the 12G is slighly more than 8G FC and also lower latency. Also on a modern SAS storage the LUNs are mapped to all connected Hosts so vMotion ,HA are working as expected. There is no different compared to FC or iSCSI and the way how to configure is the same and on SC its named "mapping". Yes we use async. replication with SCv2020 and 5020 and both are running on SAS. A SAS version never can use sync. replication or live volume. Keep also in mind than RIRA licenses are needed and when speaking about 3020/5020 you need the mezz. card options because there are no dedicated Repl. ports anymore (like on SCv2020). I think that we never go for the encryp. options because of the limited drive options. Also mixing encryp. and standard drives is not supportet. So think about if you would go this way.   A SC will try to write a stripe over 5 or 9 disks so this is why its called Raid5.5 or 5.9. The later one gives better space efficiency. If you select Double Redundancy (allows up to survive 2 disk failures at once)  than the system use RAID6 with stripes over 6 or 10 disks. The SC dont use fixed diskgroups like older  storage systems. Instead it groups "similar" diskstypes into diskfolders (like a pool) and every volume(LUN) can use a different policy which can change as often and when ever you want.  Also the SC used dyn. RAID level with RAID tiering based on the policy it starts with RAID10 and converts than to RAID5/6 with the option to migrate data (data progression) from Tier1 over Tier2 into Tier3. [1] right now there is no way that a vSphere 6.5/7 together with a SAS SC works out of the box. The right driver needs to select manually and also a special command line option needs to be set.  Yes, they have  updated their vSphere Bestpractices guide a couple of weeks ago. But we had a hard time in the past months.   We and our customers like the SC with SAS!   Regards Joerg
I was able to talk to the SC product manager on DTW2019 and yes 7.4 it is around the corner. I was not saying that we can hold the breath but since we are wating  end of Y2017 we only have to wait a ... See more...
I was able to talk to the SC product manager on DTW2019 and yes 7.4 it is around the corner. I was not saying that we can hold the breath but since we are wating  end of Y2017 we only have to wait a couple of weeks. Regards Joerg
Its called "distributed spare". Some/All? Disks reserves a small portition of reserved space for acting as hotspare(s). Which means when a rebuild is needed the reading parity information can be spre... See more...
Its called "distributed spare". Some/All? Disks reserves a small portition of reserved space for acting as hotspare(s). Which means when a rebuild is needed the reading parity information can be spread/written to multible disks instead onto a single one. This is way faster as the old method. I have nothing found how much space is reserved or how many "virtual" hotspaces the system creates. I have upgraded a couple of systems and my feeling is that i saw more available space under 7.3. Iam also wondering when your disks have only 50% or so allocated if the distributed spare only reserved this 50% for example. I have a technical whitepaper in mind but i have to check my docs. Regards Joerg
We are a iSCSI and Compellent shop.... plenty of SC4020, SC5020 around.   1. Its called SFP+  which mean 10GbE 2. You can use 10G DAC (Direct Attached Cable) TwinAxial Copper with1,3,5m. There are... See more...
We are a iSCSI and Compellent shop.... plenty of SC4020, SC5020 around.   1. Its called SFP+  which mean 10GbE 2. You can use 10G DAC (Direct Attached Cable) TwinAxial Copper with1,3,5m. There are Passiv and Active(more lenght) but i only have seen installations with passive type cables. 3. You can use 10G SFP+ Transceiver with OM3/4 Fiber Cable for sure   There is no "Zoninning" on a Ethernet Switch... but something similar because you can use Tagged VLANs.  The setup depens on half a dozen variables like, Virtual Ports, Single or Dual Fabric, FaultDomains, Co-existence with a Dell PS Series on the same ESXi. But the Standard Setup is - 2 FaultDomains with 2 Ports each - 2 different vSS on the ESXi with each one VMK The SC4020 is not customer installable you have have to talk to Dell or a certified Partner. Regards Joerg
DSITV <= 5.0 doenst support vSphere 6.7(vCenter). You have to wait until SCO7.4 together with DSITV 5.1 comes GA.
It looks like that we have to wait for SCOS 7.4 which brings full support for vSphere 6.7
For sure i followed the instructions on page 34 because otherwise it is impossible to perform the upgrade because you cant select the needed action to go on after uploading the *.zip. All other sett... See more...
For sure i followed the instructions on page 34 because otherwise it is impossible to perform the upgrade because you cant select the needed action to go on after uploading the *.zip. All other settings like our LiveVolumes are in place. Regards Joerg
I updated my DSM to DSM-VA-18.1.20.114 today because we wann upgrade SCOS to 7.3.x  After updates all Clients and connect to the Datacollector i found that the treshold definitions all cleared and re... See more...
I updated my DSM to DSM-VA-18.1.20.114 today because we wann upgrade SCOS to 7.3.x  After updates all Clients and connect to the Datacollector i found that the treshold definitions all cleared and removed. I had a open storage alarm before the update and it was gone away... this was how i take notice. Regards Joerg
The used and also the "free" space is shown on the first dashboard like page named "Summary" when connecting with DSM to your SC or DSM DataCollector. In reality the question about "how much free sp... See more...
The used and also the "free" space is shown on the first dashboard like page named "Summary" when connecting with DSM to your SC or DSM DataCollector. In reality the question about "how much free space" cant be answered. Its hard to understand but when you familar with SC you know why. Regards Joerg
Longtime ago a "recycle bin" was introduced. You have to purge the bin to get the space back. Within the group manager click on the lower left "tools?" I have no grpmgr in front but iam sure you will... See more...
Longtime ago a "recycle bin" was introduced. You have to purge the bin to get the space back. Within the group manager click on the lower left "tools?" I have no grpmgr in front but iam sure you will find it.   Otherwise are you sure you havent delete a thin provisioning volume? Maybe it wasnt full.   Regards Joerg
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... why is my text deleted when switching between text and html view? Again.... the system took up to 30min for initializing first time before it will responce to the auto discover ... See more...
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... why is my text deleted when switching between text and html view? Again.... the system took up to 30min for initializing first time before it will responce to the auto discover broadcast. If you have powered down the system within this time period you have bricked the system and need Dell Support for bring it back and mostlikely you have to re-imaging. But first... please hook up both serial cables to the two CMs and install the serial/usb driver which is will hidden on dell.com on a windows system. For every cable the driver adds up to 4 com ports. So mostlikely try com1 with 115200/8/1/n for CM1 and com5 for CM2. You have to press enter in your telnet(putty) client to get a responce. Please post what you see. IIRC the default credentials are User: Admin Pass: mmm If you only have a single SCv without additional enclosures please DONT CONNECT the 2 SAS cables for crossconnecting the two CM. This is  different compared to SCv2020 and SC4020.   Regards Joerg