Origin3k's Posts

Origin3k's Posts

Don, is it right that EQL SyncRep doenst support the failback? @Anders Take a look to TR1085 Regards Joerg
About the disk firmware. Dell Equallogic have revoke the firmware last week  so i would say you should wait a few days/weeks until they release a new one. Please also check if the disk firmware is ne... See more...
About the disk firmware. Dell Equallogic have revoke the firmware last week  so i would say you should wait a few days/weeks until they release a new one. Please also check if the disk firmware is needed because its only for 3-4 types of sata drives. But you can upgrade the array firmware in the meantime. But for this it is not needed to evacuate a member from the pool. About the loadbalancing. If you have enable the feature the  ALB have 4 "levels" 1. Capacity 2. Network load 3. Latency 4. Swap cold<->hot blocks Iam unsure about the numbering of 2. and 3.  If you would like to pin a volume to a specifiy member take a look to the Raid Preference or use the bind command from the cmd. Disabling the Loadbalacing for the complete group maybe also a solution but its not what you want 🙂 Regards Joerg
I upgrade some of my EQL to 6.0.1 (no EPA) and be sure that you dont havent JAVA 7 already installed. Regards Joerg
He dont know how to transfer the tgz and it looks he dont know what FTP is.
Firmware updates trough the GUI starts around version 4.x or so. In previous versions you have to upload the kit to every member by using FTP. Just take a look into an older 3.x guide. Regards Jo... See more...
Firmware updates trough the GUI starts around version 4.x or so. In previous versions you have to upload the kit to every member by using FTP. Just take a look into an older 3.x guide. Regards Joerg
You can upload the *.tgz through FTP like in the good old days. Regards Joerg
Hello, on august 2012 dell published a new raid configuration guide and with latest firmware (5.2.5) there are some changes. For all modell with drive sizes => 1TB they strongly suggest RAID6 becau... See more...
Hello, on august 2012 dell published a new raid configuration guide and with latest firmware (5.2.5) there are some changes. For all modell with drive sizes => 1TB they strongly suggest RAID6 because of the long rebuild times of those. Chances are higher there that you get a double drive failure during a rebuild and with a RAID6 you will survive this. Also they remove the function to create a RAID5 within the GUI. You can do it only from command line. If needed i can upload the document. Regards Joerg
Hi Gary, 2 years ago i struggled about the same problem. Our 10GbE Swichtes comes with some delay and i was sitting in front of my new toys and find no way to play with them. The MGMT network ist... See more...
Hi Gary, 2 years ago i struggled about the same problem. Our 10GbE Swichtes comes with some delay and i was sitting in front of my new toys and find no way to play with them. The MGMT network ist somewhat of "optional" that iam not sure if you can configure it during the initial setup. Later you will enable and setup the IPs of the MGMT Ports from the group configuration rather than on the single array. To get the setup to move on i connect the eth0 directy to my poweredge server so the array recognize an link status. Maybe it was enought to connect one single cable into eth0 and eth1 on the same controller.  I select "eth0" and configure it for iscsi. If you already have an existing group and just add a new memember the array would join to the group also when only one single iscsi port is configurated. The array comes visible in the groupmanager and you can move into into a test pool for finishing the configuration including the MGMT IP. Questions: Did you try to choose "eth2" when the setup ask you about the port? IIRC it does not work for me 2.5 years ago. Regards Joerg
You have to insert the ISO into your virtual CDROM first and to tick the "connected" box in your VM settings screen. The VA doesnt connect to the internet 😉 If you now select option 2 again yo... See more...
You have to insert the ISO into your virtual CDROM first and to tick the "connected" box in your VM settings screen. The VA doesnt connect to the internet 😉 If you now select option 2 again you will get a notice about the update. Regards Joerg
Also for your 2nd. environment i would suggest to place all 3 EQL within the same pool. I prefer to create a new pool and not to use the "default" one. In the "default" pool we deploy and setup the n... See more...
Also for your 2nd. environment i would suggest to place all 3 EQL within the same pool. I prefer to create a new pool and not to use the "default" one. In the "default" pool we deploy and setup the new EQLs and running them for some tests and a "burn in". After a short period of time we move them into the production pool(s). I have 4xPS6010 within a pool and the performance is great. Keep in mind that you can specify a RAID preference for a volume to you can adjust the placement in a pool which have different EQL/Raidlevels. Regards Joerg
We are facing the same problem after upgrading from vSphere 5.0 to 5.0u1. It doesnt matter if we use OMSA 6.5 or the new 7.0 VIB version. Regards Joerg
The NX3100 is not on the vSphere HCL so i strongly suggest not to use it for virtualization in a VMware environment.  For the most bang for the bucks you can get a Powervault MD3220 which is a SAS st... See more...
The NX3100 is not on the vSphere HCL so i strongly suggest not to use it for virtualization in a VMware environment.  For the most bang for the bucks you can get a Powervault MD3220 which is a SAS storage and you can connect up to 4 Hosts in a redundant configuration if you like. If the hosts only used for testing vSphere virtualization get a DELL modell with the internal SD Cards so you dont need a local raid controller and disks. The R610 easily can take up 96GB of memory together with 2x6C x5645 XEONs. Keep in mind the the 4x1GbE are not enought for a redundant HA/vMOTION Cluster so you need an Intel 4 Port AddOn card as well together with SAS Card for the storage connection. If you would go the iSCSI route there is the MD3220i. For VMware the vSphere Essentials Plus Package brings you 3x2 CPU and vCenter Essentials.The Package also includes HA and vMotion. Regards Joerg
Be sure that you have the Plugin Enabled in your vSphere Client. I can say the latest version works under vSphere 5. Regards Joerg
You cant change the blocksize of an exisiting VMFS based Datastore. You have to remove it first and create a new VMFS. There you can select a new Blocksize with something like 8MB for creating up to ... See more...
You cant change the blocksize of an exisiting VMFS based Datastore. You have to remove it first and create a new VMFS. There you can select a new Blocksize with something like 8MB for creating up to 2TB large VMDKs on the FS. Attention: Move your VMs to another Datastore or backup them before you remove the DS. Regards Joerg