Hobneb's Posts

Hobneb's Posts

Check to see if developer mode got turned on in the MR Portal. That’s what happened to me. I turned it off and it worked fine.
My Samsung Odyssey WMR headset will not wake up. I'm on a Dell Precision 7720 on Windows 10 with Quadro P5000 and it has worked great up until tonight It is set up in special graphics mode routing th... See more...
My Samsung Odyssey WMR headset will not wake up. I'm on a Dell Precision 7720 on Windows 10 with Quadro P5000 and it has worked great up until tonight It is set up in special graphics mode routing the P5000 to my external ports. It connects and the Windows MR portal thinks all is well, but the Odyssey screen is black and the green light blinks, indicating sleep. The wireframe setup screen and the Cliff House shows on my laptop screen where it should be on my headset.
That did it. The appropriate settings showed up. No HDR I presume Because the monitor doesn’t support that.
Ok that worked. I get the rest of the settings except for those specific to HDR. I assume that’s because it’s not an HDR monitor. So far so good. VR works great on it by the way. Gets a score of 10.4... See more...
Ok that worked. I get the rest of the settings except for those specific to HDR. I assume that’s because it’s not an HDR monitor. So far so good. VR works great on it by the way. Gets a score of 10.4 on the Steam benchmark.
Thanks! I have tried downloading the Nvidia drivers. I don’t have a 4K monitor to try, but I might hook up another monitor just to see if it makes a difference.
I have a Dell Precision 7720 with Quadro P5000 GPU. I am thinking of getting a 4k HDR external monitor and want to make sure I can set up the P5000 correctly. I've set up the BIOS to have the P5000 c... See more...
I have a Dell Precision 7720 with Quadro P5000 GPU. I am thinking of getting a 4k HDR external monitor and want to make sure I can set up the P5000 correctly. I've set up the BIOS to have the P5000 control the output ports directly. In reading Nvidia's site, I'm supposed to be able to access the P5000 color settings from the Nvidia Control Panel, but when I open Control Panel I only get access to 3D settings. Many settings in the full Control Panel are missing from the drop down tree. Do I need to get full Control Panel software somewhere?  Wayne
Just got my Precision 7720 with P5000 GPU and have successfully got my VR headset working! Now as questions come up, I’m wondering which forum is best to post them on? I’m assuming this one, but if t... See more...
Just got my Precision 7720 with P5000 GPU and have successfully got my VR headset working! Now as questions come up, I’m wondering which forum is best to post them on? I’m assuming this one, but if there’s a more appropriate site, please let me know! Now my first question - I’ve configured th BIOS to directly connect the discrete GPU to the output ports and it works great with mimiDP, HDMI and Thunderbolt ports. I’m using the latter as it seems to be the best quality. Now is it possible to mirror the headset display to the laptop screen or another external display? I’d like to be able for a disabled family member to wear the headset while I copilot her thru VR environments. Any ideas? Thanks, Wayne
Well Tech Support and I tried several hours to rebuild my new Precision 7720 boot disk to no avail. Followed instructions to prep the drives using diskpart and Clean and then install Windows image I ... See more...
Well Tech Support and I tried several hours to rebuild my new Precision 7720 boot disk to no avail. Followed instructions to prep the drives using diskpart and Clean and then install Windows image I downloaded from the website. Began boot process to the point of restore from external drive and kept getting the message Can’t find Volume for install or something like that. Any ideas?
Good news and bad news. I got my 7720 yesterday and before it went belly up I checked the BIOS and there is a setting that assigns the discrete video card to all external ports. Couldn’t actually che... See more...
Good news and bad news. I got my 7720 yesterday and before it went belly up I checked the BIOS and there is a setting that assigns the discrete video card to all external ports. Couldn’t actually check it out as the machine stopped booting and couldn’t be resurrected after several hours on Tech Support. Replacement machine ordered, hopefully it will be a bit more reliable
Thanks! I sure hope it works as Dell advertises the 7720 as VR Ready if you hav the P5000 (or 4000) graphics.  I just got notified that my computer shipped today and will arrive tomorrow! Will let yo... See more...
Thanks! I sure hope it works as Dell advertises the 7720 as VR Ready if you hav the P5000 (or 4000) graphics.  I just got notified that my computer shipped today and will arrive tomorrow! Will let you know how it goes.
I ordered a high end Precision 7720 on October 12th. I got a delivery date of October 18th on my order status page and arranged to stay home to sign for it. No shipment details the night before, so I... See more...
I ordered a high end Precision 7720 on October 12th. I got a delivery date of October 18th on my order status page and arranged to stay home to sign for it. No shipment details the night before, so I called to check. Nope won’t be delivered on the 18th but it is complete! We'll get a new date up there. So on Thursday the 19th, it still said the 18th. I called again. The rep called Manufacturing. Good news, my machine was on a shuttle to Los Angeles for shipping, and since I paid for overnight shipping, it’ll certainly be shipped Friday and arrive Monday - guaranteed! Haha. No shipping notification, no date change online until Sunday. Now delivery is the 24th or 25th! My customer rep says, yes it’ll be shipped the 24th, but now I’m very skeptical. We’ll see. I frankly do not believe anything Dell tells me at this point. How the heck can it be sent to the shipping center on Thursday and not actually sent for 5 days? If indeed it’s even sent then? If it’s delayed again, I’m thinking seriously of cancelling and going with Lenovo or HP. This is not starting out to be a good experience.
Thanks! One thing, I want to be able to drive VR headset at 90hz and also get highest possible frame rates for games.
I have a 7720 coming next week with a Quadro P5000 Video card. I’m wondering if there’s anything special you need to do to ensure I’m getting P5000 capabilities on the miniDisplayPort and HDMI ports, ... See more...
I have a 7720 coming next week with a Quadro P5000 Video card. I’m wondering if there’s anything special you need to do to ensure I’m getting P5000 capabilities on the miniDisplayPort and HDMI ports, rather than the integrated Intel graphics? Thanks, Wayne
Thanks! That helps a lot. Will have to look into that dock. I assume then that since Dell advertises DP 1.4 on the 7720 that would then be via the mini DP port. I want to dip my toe into VR (initiall... See more...
Thanks! That helps a lot. Will have to look into that dock. I assume then that since Dell advertises DP 1.4 on the 7720 that would then be via the mini DP port. I want to dip my toe into VR (initially as a possible quality of life enhancement for the disabled/elderly with limited mobility) and want to be able to look intelligently at what’s compatible. Initially I was just wanting a high end graphics WS for image processing. Hadn’t even thought of VR, but then looked into it when I saw the 7720 advertised as VR Ready. Now cautiously excited about the potential. Funny sometimes when you’re heading down one road you find an interesting unexpected detour!
The Precision 7720 with P5000 video card is specced at DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 1.4 and Thunderbolt 3. I know that you can get adapters to go from DP to HDMI or Thunderbolt to DP and HDMI though. If I h... See more...
The Precision 7720 with P5000 video card is specced at DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 1.4 and Thunderbolt 3. I know that you can get adapters to go from DP to HDMI or Thunderbolt to DP and HDMI though. If I have an application that requires HDMI 2.0 for example, can you get it from the Thunderbolt 3 port or the DisplayPort or is there an underlying limit to HDMI 1.4 in the processor itself? I'm having a hard time understanding the various capabilities. Wayne
When I started looking/saving for a portable workstation, it was for image processing - Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom and Pixinsight (an astronomical imaging program). When I was ready to go though,... See more...
When I started looking/saving for a portable workstation, it was for image processing - Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom and Pixinsight (an astronomical imaging program). When I was ready to go though, I was seeing that these workstations were being advertised as VR compatible. I hadn’t really been interested in VR but this piqued my interest enough to investigate. I was really pleased to find how VR is starting to be used to enrich the lives of the disabled and elderly. I played a little with an Oculus Rift and it seemed still a little crude but fun. I’m  a caregiver for family members in these categories and I’m seeing some real opportunities to help them. I’m still early on but wanted to post here to see if others are using their devices for VR? And perhaps with resources to learn about the various flavors of HDMI and DisplayPort and how they’re mixed and matched? Also not sure if this is the right subforum? Anyway any help or advice is appreciated ! Wayne Seattle
Just ordered a Dell Precision 7720 with three Class 50 512GB SSDs. What are the current options I might get? Looks like Samsung or Toshiba? Also are the NVME slots are 4x rather than 2x? Wasn't able ... See more...
Just ordered a Dell Precision 7720 with three Class 50 512GB SSDs. What are the current options I might get? Looks like Samsung or Toshiba? Also are the NVME slots are 4x rather than 2x? Wasn't able to find out for sure searching. Thanks, Wayne