Cobbie911's Posts

Cobbie911's Posts

Thanks Tesla, The Dell guide is the one that i can't seem to open, tells me its been removed?   I did however find a copy through the links on your desktop guide.   Thanks Again Co... See more...
Thanks Tesla, The Dell guide is the one that i can't seem to open, tells me its been removed?   I did however find a copy through the links on your desktop guide.   Thanks Again Cobbie.
Hi, I need to wipe and reinstall my HDD on my M15x laptop but i can't find the correct order in which to reinstall the drivers. I remember from readng this forum back in 2010 when i got my m... See more...
Hi, I need to wipe and reinstall my HDD on my M15x laptop but i can't find the correct order in which to reinstall the drivers. I remember from readng this forum back in 2010 when i got my machine that the loading order was critical and not to use the supplied resource CD as the command centre version and cause a firmware issue resulting in a loss of lighting effects. i've found two links on this forum, one under the FAQ section but the document appeas to have been removed?   Does anyone have the correct loading order? if so can you please post it below.   Many Thanks Cobbie.
Quick question, have you guys checked the cooling policy in command centre or control panel power settings? Should be set to active, if its passive it will sacrifice performance to control the te... See more...
Quick question, have you guys checked the cooling policy in command centre or control panel power settings? Should be set to active, if its passive it will sacrifice performance to control the temp. In active it uses the fan more, i have active set for all power profiles and my fans kick in nice and loud while playing battlefield BC. My GPU temp tops at about 65 degrees C, never checked my  CPU temp. My M15x has the latest A08 bios, however i had no issues while running the A06 version. I don't think the m15x has any fan options in the bios, only in command centre or control panel.   Cobbie   
  Paul,   I had the same confusion with my M15X, it may be different from the M11x but if you go to the hidden ions tab on the task bar next to the battery indicator. You should see a re... See more...
  Paul,   I had the same confusion with my M15X, it may be different from the M11x but if you go to the hidden ions tab on the task bar next to the battery indicator. You should see a red bluetooth symbol. Right click this and it should give the option to turn it on, once on it will appear in the device manager. Again this is what i had to do the M15X, M11 may not be the same but give it a try.   Cobbie.
  I think what Tesla is referring to is securing your wireless network against outside attack/abuse. Its important that you change the default user name and password for the admin access. Also... See more...
  I think what Tesla is referring to is securing your wireless network against outside attack/abuse. Its important that you change the default user name and password for the admin access. Also set a WPA-PSK passkey encryption, personally i limit my access to specific MAC addresses so even if they know the pass they won't be able to log on. All this will be covered i the user manual and is available using the router firmware, you won't need to buy any additional security out side of your antivirus. The router will also likely have a firewall. I know people that have taken the router out the box plugged it in and walled away because it connects to their computer fine, however it will also connect to anyone else to. if you see a wireless access point called Netgear or Linksys then you know its probably not been setup, this means you could login as admin and change all the settings and locking the owner out. Plus your giving everyone else free internet. My father in law is a prime example, i sit in his frontroom with my iPhone and lock him out of his own wireless system to prove a point.   Cobbie.  
Hi Shawkman   With the exception of the HDD it looks like we have the same spec system, mine boots from cold to the alien sense login in about 40secs, 47 on battery power. I have also had t... See more...
Hi Shawkman   With the exception of the HDD it looks like we have the same spec system, mine boots from cold to the alien sense login in about 40secs, 47 on battery power. I have also had the same issue with the fan running at full speed. sometimes it corrects itself once the command center is up and running, others i need to restart. Its only happened a few times, not that common.   I don't know why there should be such a difference in boot time when compared to the XPS but it looks like your machine is performing the same as mine. Cobbie.
This is all i can find in the user manual for the M15x S tealth Mode Stealth mode is designed to reduce the processor and graphics utilization and thereby reduces t... See more...
This is all i can find in the user manual for the M15x S tealth Mode Stealth mode is designed to reduce the processor and graphics utilization and thereby reduces the energy consumption and noise level of your computer. Stealth mode helps you to use a 65 W auto/air adapter. You can access Stealth mode by gently touching the touch control located near the top of the keyboard. The control will illuminate to full brightness until the function is deactivated. For the exact location of the control, see "Computer Base and Keyboard Features" on page 18.   Cobbie
Stealth mode is only available when the computer is connected to the AC power supply. I believe the idea is to reduce the amount of load required to run the laptop from the power supply when ... See more...
Stealth mode is only available when the computer is connected to the AC power supply. I believe the idea is to reduce the amount of load required to run the laptop from the power supply when connected to a low load outlet such as an aircraft AC power point or the 12volt to 110/240volt converters you can get for the car. If you run it off the power supply at max chat you would probably trip the outlet protection device. Not that there is enough room on a plane to use an M15x, let alone an M17x.  If you try and select the stealth mode while on battery power you will get the not supported message.   Cobbie      
Might be worth checking the RAM is properly installed, if it looks good then try removing one stick at a time and rebooting the laptop. The owners manual will show what order the RAM modules can ... See more...
Might be worth checking the RAM is properly installed, if it looks good then try removing one stick at a time and rebooting the laptop. The owners manual will show what order the RAM modules can be installed. It might just be a bad stick of memory that died with the increase in FSB and voltage when you tried to overclock.  If you remove the bad stick it will boot up using the remaining good one. Sounds like tech support are assuming that you have a corrupt bios chip and want to replace the board. Good luck Cobbie
  Need to go to the Dell support page and search for drivers using your service tag. This should list all the drivers for your Laptop, including the current BIOS version. My M15x is only 6 mon... See more...
  Need to go to the Dell support page and search for drivers using your service tag. This should list all the drivers for your Laptop, including the current BIOS version. My M15x is only 6 months old and was delivered with the A06 BIOS version, current version is A08 and is designed to address the throttling issue experienced when using the higher end CPU and GPU. You will need to use a USB stick (2G max size) to complete the update. The BIOS is basically the software loaded onto the motherboard chips and controls the basic settings such as RAM voltages and FSB speeds. Its not difficult to update and the instructions are very good. If you have made any changes to the BIOS setup since delivery then the BIOS update will undo these, i decided to take a picture of each BIOS setting screen before updating as a reference. The BIOS is critical for the system to operate, if it becomes corrupt during an update then the computer probably wont even start up. If you have any important work stored on the HDD then back this up first in case you experience an issue during update and end up returning the laptop for repair.   Oh, use a clean USB stick, in fact i think the stick is cleared during the update procedure. Can't remember so i would start with a formatted USB. Have you installed any new software packages recently that may have slowed down the system performance. I used to find that packages like Norton and Mcafee were to invasive and would kill performance. Cobbie  
Hi,   What BIOS version are you running? A08 should reduce this throttling issue.   Cobbie
Ok, if you go online and download the service manual for the M15x and look in chapter 6, this shows you how to remove the coin cell battery. Also there is a strip down video on you tube the cover... See more...
Ok, if you go online and download the service manual for the M15x and look in chapter 6, this shows you how to remove the coin cell battery. Also there is a strip down video on you tube the covers this.   Good luck.   Cobbie  
Hi m8, I think your best bet is to reset the BIOS to default, should start up then. Normally when i have done this in the past  on desktops there was a jumper, not sure what the procedure is o... See more...
Hi m8, I think your best bet is to reset the BIOS to default, should start up then. Normally when i have done this in the past  on desktops there was a jumper, not sure what the procedure is on the m15X. One trick i have done in the past when i had no MOBO manual was to remove the small coin cell battery on the MOBO. If you remove the main battery and back cover and can see this battery then try removing it, then refit after a few minutes. This would normally cause the bios to loose its setting and resort to default.   Before trying this however i would recommend waiting to see if Chris from Dell replies, he would know the correct procedure to reset the BIOS.   Don't hang yourself just yet as i'm sure you just need to find away to reset the BIOS.   Cobbie.  
Shailash12,   I just downloaded CPU-Z and repeated your check with the same results, Core speed 2790 using the AC but it dropped to 665 with the battery. I just spent 10min on bad compa... See more...
Shailash12,   I just downloaded CPU-Z and repeated your check with the same results, Core speed 2790 using the AC but it dropped to 665 with the battery. I just spent 10min on bad company 2 using battery power and running CPU-z in the background. The game was playable but the core speed never changed from the 665Mhz in CPU-z. Using CPU-z i also established that my MOBO BIOS is A6 not A7 as expected and i don't think i have the latest NVIDIA driver either. Both of these I need to update. I'm not sure where this leaves you, i get the same results when using CPU-z but but my in game performance seems to be better, i will admit that desktop performance and game loading speed is definatly reduced off battery.   Cobbie.
Hi Shailesh12, Have you checked the advanced  power settings in control panel, I initially had the same issue with battery performance. What i found was that the CPU min and max setting differ... See more...
Hi Shailesh12, Have you checked the advanced  power settings in control panel, I initially had the same issue with battery performance. What i found was that the CPU min and max setting differed between what CC was set to and what windows had set. Specifically the CPU min setting, 30% in windows but 100% in CC. I made the same changes to the windows profile and can now play bad company 2 off battery power. I do have the larger 9cell battery option on my M15x and the i7-720 CPU, this combination might be enough for the battery to handle. Did you update the BIOS to A08? if so any improvement? Cobbie.  
  Hi Chris,   I have a question before I attempt to update my BIOS; will the BIOS flash automatically set all the setting or do i need to make a not of my BIOS settings before updating? ... See more...
  Hi Chris,   I have a question before I attempt to update my BIOS; will the BIOS flash automatically set all the setting or do i need to make a not of my BIOS settings before updating? Thanks Cobbie M15x i7-720 GTX260m 4GRam WIn 7 64bit.  
Hi Shailesh12,   I just tried Battlefield Bad Company 2 running off battery with no issues. i have found however that changes made in CC arn't always reflected in the power options under co... See more...
Hi Shailesh12,   I just tried Battlefield Bad Company 2 running off battery with no issues. i have found however that changes made in CC arn't always reflected in the power options under control panel. Doulble check you setting here, i'm running in high performance with both battery and external power options set the same. Cobbie,   i7-Q720 Nvidia 260M GTX 4GRAM 9cell battery windows 7 64  
  Hi Cowboycat,   Your best bet would be to create your own from from the Dell web site and keep it up to date as the software is updated. If you get the latest from tech support on disk... See more...
  Hi Cowboycat,   Your best bet would be to create your own from from the Dell web site and keep it up to date as the software is updated. If you get the latest from tech support on disk it would become redundant again at the next update. Your service tag should allow you to get the correct drivers and software for your machine.   Cobbie.
  Just gave it a try, don't think it likes the GeForce GTX260m GPU, won't let me take control of the fan.
Sch3cter,   I have a new M15X and just did the same as you, nothing in device manager but enable in BIOS. I was about to start jumping up and down and getting on the phone to the sales guy ... See more...
Sch3cter,   I have a new M15X and just did the same as you, nothing in device manager but enable in BIOS. I was about to start jumping up and down and getting on the phone to the sales guy that sold me the machine.   However I had a quick look around and think i found what we've been missing; in the bottom right corner click on the hidden icons up arrow, you should see a red a blue bluetooth symbol. Click it and it will ask you to turn it on, just got min up and running. Check it out, you might get lucky.   Cobbie.