BHN54's Posts

BHN54's Posts

Rd, I prefer to use W8 64-bit, but was unsure about being able to install W8 64-bit on a 32-bit platform. Thanks for your response. BHN54
Thanks Natukuc4.  This is good to know.  I wasn't sure if I could install W8 64-bit on a 32-bit bit platform. BHN54
Hello Forum, Can you install and use Windows 8 32-bit on a 64-bit platform desktop? My dilemma is that I have a 64-bit platform laptop (2 years old) and a 32-bit platform desktop (a Dell Dimension ... See more...
Hello Forum, Can you install and use Windows 8 32-bit on a 64-bit platform desktop? My dilemma is that I have a 64-bit platform laptop (2 years old) and a 32-bit platform desktop (a Dell Dimension XPS 420, 5 years old). Thank you in advance. BHN54 
Thanks Chris.  The people at Microsoft stated that customized wallpaper sites provide the most commonly used resolutions for wallpapers. Therefore a site will choose the resolution that closely match... See more...
Thanks Chris.  The people at Microsoft stated that customized wallpaper sites provide the most commonly used resolutions for wallpapers. Therefore a site will choose the resolution that closely match the resolution on the desktop when wallpapers are chosen for download.  Since 1280x800 is wide screen and closest to 1920x1200, the site selects it. BHN54
Hello Forum,  The recommended resolution for my 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2410 and 2408WFP monitors is 1920x1200.  However, when I access websites to download desktop wallpaper, the sites automatically ... See more...
Hello Forum,  The recommended resolution for my 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2410 and 2408WFP monitors is 1920x1200.  However, when I access websites to download desktop wallpaper, the sites automatically detect that 1280x800 is the resolution for my monitor and the corresponding wallpaper.  I use Windows 7 slide show to display the wallpapers on my Dell XPS 420 desktop. My question is, why does the websites indicate the 1280x800 resolution, which is considered wide screen, when 1920x1200 is the recommended resolution?  Amazingly, there is no difference (i.e., horizontal and vertical dimensions) in the display of wallpaper on my desktop via both resolutions.  Any clarity provided is much appreciated. Thank you advance. BHN54
Thanks RoHe. I've found my answer on the networking forum.   MoPete
Hello Community, I'm considering the use of a wireless network adapter so that I can use my Dell XPS 420 desktop with a wireless connection via a wireless router.  I'm currently using my desktop... See more...
Hello Community, I'm considering the use of a wireless network adapter so that I can use my Dell XPS 420 desktop with a wireless connection via a wireless router.  I'm currently using my desktop via an Ethernet connection to the wireless router. What are the pros and cons of using a wireless network adapter-to-desktop connection relative to the desktop-to-wireless router Ethernet  connection? Thank you in advance. BHN54 
Vikram, I'll try these test and let you know. BHN54
Vikram M., When I executed the steps you outlined to test each monitor individually, there wasn't any meaningful response by the monitors.  In other words, when I unplugged all cables except the po... See more...
Vikram M., When I executed the steps you outlined to test each monitor individually, there wasn't any meaningful response by the monitors.  In other words, when I unplugged all cables except the power cables, the monitors' screens had a black background only; there was no floating 'Dell -  Self-Test Feature Check' dialog box on-screen nor did the power LED remained green.  The monitors are working fine now after that 3-minute glitch. Nevertheless, the graphic card that allows my dual monitor setup is the NVIDIA GeForce 620 GT.  I also checked the status of the card's driver, and Windows 7 indicated that the driver was up-to-date. Is it possible that there is an external source of manipulation of the monitors? For example, between 9:50 pm and 10:00 pm, I noticed an intermittent popping sound surrounding the monitors on a desk that also holds an external broadband modem, a wireless router, a cordless telephone, and a transmitter for wireless headphones.  This occurs long after the monitors have been shut down for the evening (i.e., 4 hours after monitors' use). It sounds strange, but I feel that something or someone other than me can manipulate the monitors at will. I posted at question last week about experiencing warp image distortions on the primary monitor only when I watch a DVD, which is a recent occurrence. Thanks for your reply. BHN54
Hello Community, My U2410  and 2408WFD monitors suddenly lost the background (i.e., the screens went blank) for approximately 3 minutes. Although the 2408WFD monitor use to intermittently go bla... See more...
Hello Community, My U2410  and 2408WFD monitors suddenly lost the background (i.e., the screens went blank) for approximately 3 minutes. Although the 2408WFD monitor use to intermittently go blank with a single monitor setup, this is the first time both monitors went blank since I installed a new video card for a dual monitor setup. What could have caused this? Your insights are appreciated. Thank you in advance. BHN54 
Chris M, I will test all monitor ports and see what happens. Unfortunately, I will not be able to post a video of the problem on youtube.  Thank for your assistance. BHN54
Hello Community, I'm experiencing intermittent warp image distortion only when watching a DVD on my 2408WFD computer monitor.  This just started within the past two months. Is it possible that e... See more...
Hello Community, I'm experiencing intermittent warp image distortion only when watching a DVD on my 2408WFD computer monitor.  This just started within the past two months. Is it possible that external interference (e.g., tampering)  is working or does the monitor needs to be adjusted when watching a DVD? Any insights provided is much appreciated. Thank you in advance. BHN54 
Chris.   Great answers! The frequency of the popping sound from the monitor has lessened. I think when I rearrange my computer setup to have access to a usable A/C outlet, the monitor will be free ... See more...
Chris.   Great answers! The frequency of the popping sound from the monitor has lessened. I think when I rearrange my computer setup to have access to a usable A/C outlet, the monitor will be free of the annoying sound. Keep up the great work. Thanks, MP 
Chris, Each time I reset the refresh rate from 59 Hz to 60 Hz, the driver via Windows 7 always returns it to 59 Hz. Do you have any insights why this may be happening? Thank you in advance.
Gaurav, I executed all of your instructions except the second one. Unfortunately, I have two surge protector plugged in the one A/C outlet near the computer.  The other outlets in the room are too ... See more...
Gaurav, I executed all of your instructions except the second one. Unfortunately, I have two surge protector plugged in the one A/C outlet near the computer.  The other outlets in the room are too far to reach with the monitor's power cord. How important is it to bypass a surge protector and plug the monitor(s) directly into an A/C outlet? As for the refresh rate, according to the information on the monitor's refresh rate, it should be set at no less than 75 hertz. However, at the recommended resolution (i.e., 1920x1200), the refresh rate modes at this resolution that can be displayed are either 59 or 60 hertz, true color, 32-bit. Why is there a difference between the recommended refresh rate (i.e., 75 hertz) and actual the refresh rate set by the monitor's software driver via Windows 7? Thus, the monitor still make the popping sound, although its frequency varies.
Hello Community, My Dell 2408WFP ultrasharp monitor started making popping sounds earlier this year and continue to do so. Although the sounds are not continuous, they are very noticeable when they... See more...
Hello Community, My Dell 2408WFP ultrasharp monitor started making popping sounds earlier this year and continue to do so. Although the sounds are not continuous, they are very noticeable when they happen. The monitor will be four years old in November, but I use it a lot for my work. What could be causing the popping sounds? Thank you in advance. 
Chris, Many thanks for your detail instructions, in spite of pertaining to Windows XP. The device manager now shows the Dell monitor by model name as I had hoped for.
Manshu, This did not work.  However, the instructions by Chris M did work.  The device manager now shows the U2410 monitor. Thanks for you assistance.
Hi Community, I have both the 2408WFP and the U2410 connected to my computer and have chosen the 2408WFP as the primary monitor. I'm curious why the device manager in Windows 7 does not identify th... See more...
Hi Community, I have both the 2408WFP and the U2410 connected to my computer and have chosen the 2408WFP as the primary monitor. I'm curious why the device manager in Windows 7 does not identify the U2410 monitor as a Dell monitor. The device manager refers to the U2410 as a "Generic PnP monitor".  However, the 2408WFP monitor is identified as a Dell monitor. Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Allan, Many thanks for the easy-to-follow instructions on how to select one of my two monitors as the primary one.  Moreover, the links you provided to microsoft windows' support for multiple displ... See more...
Allan, Many thanks for the easy-to-follow instructions on how to select one of my two monitors as the primary one.  Moreover, the links you provided to microsoft windows' support for multiple displays issues are very helpful.  Keep up the good work. Regards, BHN54