wwyw's Posts

wwyw's Posts

I managed to update my BIOS to the current version (2.10.0). I obviously did something dumb in my many previous attempts because what finally worked isn't much different from what I had tried before... See more...
I managed to update my BIOS to the current version (2.10.0). I obviously did something dumb in my many previous attempts because what finally worked isn't much different from what I had tried before. Here's what worked: create DOS-bootable flash drive, e.g. using Rufus download PET110II_020005.EXE from Dell's Driver Support site rename downloaded file to PET110II.EXE (DOS 8.3 format) and copy it to flash drive plug flash drive into USB port on T110 II front panel restart T110 II; wait for F2/F10/F11/F12 menu then hit F11 Boot Options to start Boot Manager On Boot Manager screen use Down Arrow to select "* Harddisk" option, then hit Enter; this brings up window with 2 choices (in my case) one of which is "CBM Flash Disk" use Down Arrow to select "CBM Flash Disk" then hit Enter to run DOS from flash drive At the DOS prompt, type PET110II.EXE to execute that file and thereby update BIOS from version 1.2.4 to 2.5.0 rename PET110II.EXE file on flash drive (or just delete it from flash drive) download PET110II_021000.EXE from Dell's Driver Support site rename downloaded file to PET110II.EXE (DOS 8.3 format) and copy it to flash drive plug flash drive into USB port on T110 II front panel restart T110 II; wait for F2/F10/F11/F12 menu then hit F11 Boot Options to start Boot Manager On Boot Manager screen use Down Arrow to select "* Harddisk" option, then hit Enter; this brings up window with 2 choices (in my case) one of which is "CBM Flash Disk" use Down Arrow to select "CBM Flash Disk" then hit Enter to run DOS from flash drive At the DOS prompt, type PET110II.EXE to execute that file and thereby update BIOS from version 2.5.0 to 2.10.0  
Dylan:  Thanks again for your input.  I'll do as you suggest and report back, but your comments regarding Linux reminded me that one of the VMs on my T110 II is running Ubuntu 11.10.  I'm just a hobb... See more...
Dylan:  Thanks again for your input.  I'll do as you suggest and report back, but your comments regarding Linux reminded me that one of the VMs on my T110 II is running Ubuntu 11.10.  I'm just a hobbyist when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux and I realize that Ubuntu 11.10 is ancient/obsolete.  But, I'm wondering if that VM might present an easier upgrade path for me?  My initial thought is "No; you can't upgrade the basic platform's BIOS from inside a VM; you have to do it on the platform itself, outside any of the VMs."  Do I have that right?
Dylan: Thank you for your prompt reply.  Unfortunately, I've run into another gotcha.  I'm running ESXi 5.0 on my Dell T110 II.  I want to update the BIOS so I can install a newer version of ESXi tha... See more...
Dylan: Thank you for your prompt reply.  Unfortunately, I've run into another gotcha.  I'm running ESXi 5.0 on my Dell T110 II.  I want to update the BIOS so I can install a newer version of ESXi that will enable me to build a new VM with a more current version of the Windows Server OS.  Installing OpenManage on ESXi seems to require some tricky Linux and other fiddling (as outlined here) that would take me well outside my comfort zone.  I thought that a BIOS update would be relatively straightforward, but it's not--at least not for me.  I've tried creating a bootable USB drive via Rufus, etc. etc. as outlined elsewhere in Community postings regarding BIOS updates on PowerEdge servers, but that hasn't worked either.  Can you point me to a simple explanation of how to update my BIOS?  I'll do it in stages as you suggested, but I'll have to forgo any updates to BMC/LCC given the difficulties of installing OpenManage on ESXi.  I appreciate your assistance.
I'm in exactly the same boat as the original poster (Dell T110 II circa 2011 with BIOS version 1.2.4).  Exactly how do I verify that the BMC and Lifecycle controller are up to date, before updating t... See more...
I'm in exactly the same boat as the original poster (Dell T110 II circa 2011 with BIOS version 1.2.4).  Exactly how do I verify that the BMC and Lifecycle controller are up to date, before updating the BIOS?  If I need to update the BMC and Lifecycle controller, where do I find the current version(s) and how do I install them?  I've been chasing my tail over this for a long time (years).  :(
My PowerEdge T110 II server's manual specifies the system memory as "low voltage" 1333 Mhz DDR3 ECC unbuffered UDIMMs.  The currently installed RAM is Dell part no. 317-6961 (2x4GB).  Like the manual... See more...
My PowerEdge T110 II server's manual specifies the system memory as "low voltage" 1333 Mhz DDR3 ECC unbuffered UDIMMs.  The currently installed RAM is Dell part no. 317-6961 (2x4GB).  Like the manual, the detailed parts breakdown/invoice that came with my system describes the RAM as "low voltage" without indicating exactly what that means.  In looking to buy more memory, I'm seeing both 1.35 volt and 1.5 volt UDIMMs which otherwise appear to fit my server's specs.  My question is "What does 'low voltage' mean in relation to my T110 II?"  Is it 1.35 volts, or 1.5 volts, or does it matter; i.e. can I mix 1.35 volt & 1.5 volt UDIMMS?
I bought a PowerEdge T110 II server in 2011. It has 2x4GB RAM, and 2 1TB SATA drives in RAID 1 via a PERC H200 controller.  It's running fine, but I think that I should replace the hard drives, given... See more...
I bought a PowerEdge T110 II server in 2011. It has 2x4GB RAM, and 2 1TB SATA drives in RAID 1 via a PERC H200 controller.  It's running fine, but I think that I should replace the hard drives, given their age.  I'd also like to add more RAM.  I'm running ESXi 5.0; after the proposed RAM/HDD upgrades I'd like to upgrade to ESXi 6.7 which I think is the current version. I'm thinking of upgrading to a pair of 2TB SAS drives. By searching this forum, I've learned that SAS 3.0 drives won't work in a  T110 II; so I'll apparently have to go with SAS 2.0 drives instead.  My first (2-part) question is "which 2TB SAS 2.0 drives are compatible with a T110 II and where can I buy them?" I'm having trouble finding RAM.  I need 1333MHz dual ranked UDIMMs (2x4GB) but the places I've checked don't seem to stock it any more.  So my second question is "where can I buy RAM for a T110 II?" Finally, I've briefly outlined my proposed migration to ESXi 6.7 below.  Have I got this right, or are there gotchas I need to be aware of?  Maybe someone can point me to a detailed outline. back up all VMs shutdown/power off VMs shutdown/power off T110 II insert new RAM & replace HDDs (with appropriate BIOS changes, if necessary) load ESXi 6.7 via .iso restore VMs on upgraded host
I "think" it may be downloadable via http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=G12Y2 but I confess it's been so long I've forgotten.  BTW, I never did get my BIOS updated.  ... See more...
I "think" it may be downloadable via http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=G12Y2 but I confess it's been so long I've forgotten.  BTW, I never did get my BIOS updated.  It got to the point that I would have had to take it into a Dell service depot for a BIOS upgrade, which is nuts.  I'm now having more fun: I have a spare 1TB drive so I thought I'd install it in my T-110 II rather than let it collect dust on the shelf.  I thought it would be easy, but when I opened the box I saw that I ordered it with a hardware RAID controller.  I don't see an obvious way to install an extra SATA drive (which I do not want to include in my RAID configuration).  So that drive is indeed collecting dust on the shelf.
I want to upgrade my Dell T110-II server to 32GB of RAM.  I "think" that the Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S 8GB DIMMS should work, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that.  The spec is here: http://www.king... See more...
I want to upgrade my Dell T110-II server to 32GB of RAM.  I "think" that the Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S 8GB DIMMS should work, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that.  The spec is here: http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3D4R9S_8G.pdf When I use the system selector feature on Kingston's website it suggests KTD-PE313E/8G for the Dell T110-II.  They're almost twice as expensive as the KVR1333D3D4R9S, but maybe the KVR1333D3D4R9S wouldn't work in my Dell T110-II ?? I'd appreciate any insight. Best, Blake
The short answer is "no".  I did figure out that it's normal to not have that option on the T110 II, and that you need to burn the USC to a DVD and use that to configure a USB drive with the BIOS firm... See more...
The short answer is "no".  I did figure out that it's normal to not have that option on the T110 II, and that you need to burn the USC to a DVD and use that to configure a USB drive with the BIOS firmware, then boot from the DVD and reload the BIOS from the USB drive (I'm away from my machine at the moment and may have misdescribed things a bit, but that's the jist of it).  Anyway, the process seemed needlessly convoluted and I eventually gave up.  For example, the USC .iso file was too big to fit on a single layer DVD, so I wound up mounting the .iso file and booting that.  Then the files destined for the USB drive were collectively too big to fit on the spare 4GB flash drive I had on hand, so I omitted a few files that obviously didn't apply to my situation.  When I finally got to the point of trying to load the new BIOS firmware off the USB drive I got an error message to the effect that the USB drive wasn't formatted correctly (again, I may be slightly misdescribing things).  At that point I gave up.  All in all, a very frustrating waste of time.
My apologies for posting in the wrong forum!
I can't figure out how to update the BIOS on my DELL T110 II.  It seems simple enough in theory: restart; hit F10 when the Dell logo appears in order to start the Universal Server Configurator (USC)... See more...
I can't figure out how to update the BIOS on my DELL T110 II.  It seems simple enough in theory: restart; hit F10 when the Dell logo appears in order to start the Universal Server Configurator (USC); then select the Platform Update option.  My problem is that no "Platform Update" option appears in the USC's list of options.  I've tried using the USC's network settings page to configure my NIC to use my DHCP server, but I still don't get a USC "Platform Update" option.  I'm running vMware vSphere (ESXi 5.0) but I don't see how that would affect a BIOS update.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.   Best, Blake
I can't figure out how to update the BIOS on my DELL T110 II.  It seems simple enough in theory: restart; hit F10 when the Dell logo appears in order to start the Universal Server Configurator (U... See more...
I can't figure out how to update the BIOS on my DELL T110 II.  It seems simple enough in theory: restart; hit F10 when the Dell logo appears in order to start the Universal Server Configurator (USC); then select the Platform Update option.  My problem is that no "Platform Update" option appears in the USC's list of options.  I've tried using the USC's network settings page to configure my NIC to use my DHCP server, but I still don't get a USC "Platform Update" option.  I'm running vMware vSphere (ESXi 5.0) but I don't see how that would affect a BIOS update.  I'd appreciate any suggestions. Best, Blake