arik010's Posts

arik010's Posts

Hi, does the md3 with latest firmware support dynamic disk pool with ssd drives?
any advice here? we are currently debating rather go with 24 drive Dynamic disk pool or one big raid 10. advantages of DDP: more space (about 15TB vs 10TB of raid10) better reliability (can... See more...
any advice here? we are currently debating rather go with 24 drive Dynamic disk pool or one big raid 10. advantages of DDP: more space (about 15TB vs 10TB of raid10) better reliability (can lose ANY two disks of array) better reconstruction times for failed drives better provisioning and expansion of array. it will be great to get all those benefits BUT the only issue we have with ddp is that there is no calculator or any documentation nowhere about its performance comparing to RAID10 the workload consist of many virtual machines and have need of bursting random writes. can anyone here help comparing the total IOPS/performance of both configurations?
Hello, We are installing new SAN for our VM have lot of virtual machines and large write % the storage will consist of 24X10K sas drives and it's time to choose between 24 X Raid10 and 24 X DD... See more...
Hello, We are installing new SAN for our VM have lot of virtual machines and large write % the storage will consist of 24X10K sas drives and it's time to choose between 24 X Raid10 and 24 X DDP DDP main advantage is reliability and fast reconstruction time, raid 10 should give much better performance. is there any way compare the performance difference of two by numbers? what is considered to be best practice now between both options? main goal is performance, but reliability counts also.
Hello We are upgrading to new md38xx series Our goal is: maximum performance for virtual machines, low cost, stable redundancy, 10tb storage spade. We are now split between two choices: Md380... See more...
Hello We are upgrading to new md38xx series Our goal is: maximum performance for virtual machines, low cost, stable redundancy, 10tb storage spade. We are now split between two choices: Md3800f 12x 2tb nlsas 7200 drives - raid 10 disk group Or Md3820f 24x 900gb 10k drives - DDP Storage will be almost same for both configurations But how will performance compare between both solutions? Ddp is based on raid5/6 so the question if it can compete with the fast raid 10 on first configuration Will it be worth to invest extra $ to get the 24 ddp group?
tkanks, so now that cachecade 1.1 is not a option in terms it got no write back support can i  create standard mirror raid 1 on two dell ssds and put them in vmware host cache configuration? does any... See more...
tkanks, so now that cachecade 1.1 is not a option in terms it got no write back support can i  create standard mirror raid 1 on two dell ssds and put them in vmware host cache configuration? does anyone tried that and can recommend it as good option to gain some i/o boost to the host?
Hello, I would like to install 2 ssd for cahcecade 2.0 feauture on some of our dell servers did't noticed anywhere if cahcecade 2.0 (read&write) is supported  what we ant to gain is performance... See more...
Hello, I would like to install 2 ssd for cahcecade 2.0 feauture on some of our dell servers did't noticed anywhere if cahcecade 2.0 (read&write) is supported  what we ant to gain is performance without loosing redundanc, maybey the beeter option for that to use the new vmware host ssd cache feature rtaher than lsi cache cachecade? will glad to get some advices and if anyone compared those two options before. Thanks
if we use the samsung they wont be recognized by the controller? their speed and specs seem be much better then those posted on the list
hello i am planning to purchase 2 x samsung 840 ssd (120GB) for utilizing the cachecade feature on perc h800         does anyone tried to use those disk and can confirm that they are supported?
thanks for clearing that up. i set it to enbaled and there was actually huge improvment in past couple of days. now i will have revert i to disabled in order to keep the system safe from data cor... See more...
thanks for clearing that up. i set it to enbaled and there was actually huge improvment in past couple of days. now i will have revert i to disabled in order to keep the system safe from data corruption 😞 does anyone here actually expirenced data corruption because of the local disk cache?
anybody ?
thanks but this is not what i asked imentioned that i already had adaptive read aheah mode enabled... beside of that there is also something called disk cache policy that can be ticked enabled, p... See more...
thanks but this is not what i asked imentioned that i already had adaptive read aheah mode enabled... beside of that there is also something called disk cache policy that can be ticked enabled, probably reffering to the cache setting on the physical disks...
Hello could anyone spill some lighn on the DISK CACHE POLICY option on perch h700 configuration i have 6XNEAR LINE SAS aray with write back and adaptive read ahead mode does enabling the disk c... See more...
Hello could anyone spill some lighn on the DISK CACHE POLICY option on perch h700 configuration i have 6XNEAR LINE SAS aray with write back and adaptive read ahead mode does enabling the disk cache will enhance performace of the lun? are the any disadvantages to do such thing? i didn't find anything about it in the manual.
what details about the configuration you need to know? I thought that the newer sandy bridge should be faster  
Hello, we installed R720 esxi 5.1 dell customized server that replace our old R710 The r710 had X5660 CPU and the R720 have E5-2630 CPU all other configuration and hardware are the same. is t... See more...
Hello, we installed R720 esxi 5.1 dell customized server that replace our old R710 The r710 had X5660 CPU and the R720 have E5-2630 CPU all other configuration and hardware are the same. is there any reason why the R720 having hard time to catch up the R710 performance? everything seems to work slower
finally found that: blogs.vmware.com/.../scratch 5.  What are there performance considerations needed when choosing a location for the scratch partition? "Performance of the scratch partition i... See more...
finally found that: blogs.vmware.com/.../scratch 5.  What are there performance considerations needed when choosing a location for the scratch partition? "Performance of the scratch partition is not critical.  Scratch is used for log files, core dumps, support log bundles, and as a temporary working space.  It’s not imperative that the scratch partition be on a high performing device.  The concern is to have scratch on a reliable, persistent location." seems like there is almost no disk activity with the scratch and os partition. if there any other consideration or documentation on that i will be happy to hear about.
Thanks now  i understand you. i mentioned the host os but i meant the host OS + system scratch/swap space i still cannot find any documentation on how much i/o if any the scracth partition is us... See more...
Thanks now  i understand you. i mentioned the host os but i meant the host OS + system scratch/swap space i still cannot find any documentation on how much i/o if any the scracth partition is using. i know it will only use it for logs and so...didn't find if there any serious i/o demands that can justify the purchase of dedicated raid1 disk.
if the host install disk have lot of i/o  why are vmware and dell letting install it on slow sd card in many scenarios?
thanks for the reference! since i don't have any redundant sd card device my only option is to use the two small 2.5 bays for the esxi boot partition. i still don't sure how that will give me any... See more...
thanks for the reference! since i don't have any redundant sd card device my only option is to use the two small 2.5 bays for the esxi boot partition. i still don't sure how that will give me any performance gain since the esx partition don't require any i/o (the fact it can be placed on slow sd cards) is it worth the extra 600$ to go for the esxi dedicated raid 1 2X15k sas disks ?
is there any specific reason that i am not supposed to installed the esx on the same aray with data?
Hello,  i got dell r720xd server with raid aray and one SD card slot is it better  choice to install the esx on the sd card or to place it on the sas raid array? what are the pros and cons?