tisraelsen's Posts

tisraelsen's Posts

Thank you for this! I will try out OMSA 8.5 with my R640. What is “an update for the OS Collector for those chassis”? Can I find that on the website? Using just iDRAC with WS-MAN basically works f... See more...
Thank you for this! I will try out OMSA 8.5 with my R640. What is “an update for the OS Collector for those chassis”? Can I find that on the website? Using just iDRAC with WS-MAN basically works fine on newer systems. At least 13G and 14G. But you do not get any info on missing or outdated drivers and we need that. I will let you know how it goes.
Hm. The screenshot from OME seems not to work unless I am logged in to forum. It says this: Reason: Inventory collector is not installed on this server. In band updates cannot be applied. Recommen... See more...
Hm. The screenshot from OME seems not to work unless I am logged in to forum. It says this: Reason: Inventory collector is not installed on this server. In band updates cannot be applied. Recommendation: Schedule inventory collection task. Recommended to schedule periodic inventory collection.   But I have definitely installed OMSA. And I have run the inventory manually several times.
A few days ago, I set up OME 2.4 for a customer. It is for monitoring 8 x R640 and 2 x R730xd servers. Initially I just configured discovery by IDrac/WS-MAN. This worked splendidly and OME gave me a... See more...
A few days ago, I set up OME 2.4 for a customer. It is for monitoring 8 x R640 and 2 x R730xd servers. Initially I just configured discovery by IDrac/WS-MAN. This worked splendidly and OME gave me a nice list of about 5 available updates for each server on the “non-compliant systems” tab. But as far as I know and as far as I can tell, OME cannot discover missing or outdated drives through IDrac/WS-MAN. For this, OMSA is needed on the servers and SNMP must be enabled for discovery in OME. So I installed OMSA 9.1 on one of the R640 servers, including configuring the Windows SNMP Service on the server. The server is running Windows Server 2016. Following this, I completely deleted the discovery range in OME and recreated it with a modified IP-range to include not only the IDrac IP-addresses and to allow SNMP configuration. I performed a full discovery and inventory. The result looks good in Devices. Everything was discovered. All the servers without OMSA look the same in system update: About 5 updates are presented. But for the server with OMSA, there are no longer presented any updates at all in OME System Update. Very strange… I tried the Troubleshooting tool that comes with OME to verify the SNMP protocol. Running the tool on the OME machine verified easily that SNMP works by reporting basic OMSA component versions from the server with OMSA. In addition, the three items in the “data sources” list for the server in OME all show the green symbol. So why can OME no longer see any updates? In addition: The “issues and resolutions for Updates” tab under system update in OME reports this:
Thank you!
My question is about media. I know what key to use. In case there is any doubt I am using the keys from this article . My thought was to use MSDN media and I think I will prefer that over the on... See more...
My question is about media. I know what key to use. In case there is any doubt I am using the keys from this article . My thought was to use MSDN media and I think I will prefer that over the only alternate proposal: Eval. Anyone care to comment on whether I could get Dell to ship me a DVD or whether there might be a download somewhere?
We just got a couple of R730xd's with Windows Server 2016 factory installed with OEM license. I need to create new virtual machines now and I do not think that we received any install media. This i... See more...
We just got a couple of R730xd's with Windows Server 2016 factory installed with OEM license. I need to create new virtual machines now and I do not think that we received any install media. This is what it says in the offer from Dell, which we accepted: Software 1 605-11443 No Media Required 1 634-BILI Windows Server 2016 Datacenter,16CORE,Factory Installed, No Media, UnLTD VMs, NO CALs 6 634-BILJ MS2016 DC Edition, Additional License,2CORE,NO MEDIA/KEY 1 631-AACK No Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit So it was probably a mistake not to get media. Can I: Just use another media, which I have lying around (like from MSDN)? Download an iso from Dell somewhere? Get Dell to ship a DVD? In any case I will use AVMA product keys, so it is only the media that I am missing. Thanks.
We usually update firmware, idrac, bios, lifecycle, etc. through Windows. But we are considering to change this practice to using the Update facility in IDrac (under IDrac Settings -> Update and Roll... See more...
We usually update firmware, idrac, bios, lifecycle, etc. through Windows. But we are considering to change this practice to using the Update facility in IDrac (under IDrac Settings -> Update and Rollback) instead. When we update through Windows, there are frequently multiple updates available for each server. We sequence the updates ourselves according to this guide: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20408841 We do this because we at one time managed to leave a server completely inoperable after updating BIOS, IDrac and LC in the wrong sequence. Dell had to replace some of the hardware to get the server working again. Question: Using the Update facility in IDrac, we can actually upload multiple updates at the same time. If we do that, will the update facility in IDrac take care of sequencing the updates correctly for us? Any opinion on the benefits of updating through IDrac or through Windows? Thanks.
Apologies for resurrecting my old thread... I have gone ahead and installed 4 new 13G servers without OMSA. It looks almost perfect, but one thing has me worried. If I look at "Sotfware Inventory... See more...
Apologies for resurrecting my old thread... I have gone ahead and installed 4 new 13G servers without OMSA. It looks almost perfect, but one thing has me worried. If I look at "Sotfware Inventory Information" in OME for an older server with OMSA, I can see installed versions of a lot of drivers. Most of these is what I would characterize as "Intel stuff" and I would sort of expect to receive updates for those through Windows Update, so I am not too worried. But I also see version for a PERC H310 mini driver and a Broadcom NetExtreme driver family. If I look at the same "Sotfware Inventory Information" list in OME for one of my new servers without OMSA, I do not see any drivers at all. I suspect that OME uses this information to compare with the catalog it downloads as a basis for telling me which systems are non-compliant in System Update. And for telling me which specific drivers have newer versions available on the non-compliant system. Question: Is my assumptions correct that if I do not install OMSA on a 13G server with IDrac enterprise, then OME has no way of letting me know if I have badly outdated Dell supplied drivers? Question: Which drivers for a 13G system will not receive important updates through Windows Update? Please note: I am unmarking @Shivendras post as an answer since it now occurs to me that this statement is ambiguous: "11G, 12G and 13G servers, you won't be able to update OS drivers". I am not looking to UPDATE drivers from OME but I am looking to discover outdated drivers.
Good question. The windows license comes from our status as a Microsoft partner. We are required to upgrade to the newest version (2016) no later than one year after it is released. We would not do... See more...
Good question. The windows license comes from our status as a Microsoft partner. We are required to upgrade to the newest version (2016) no later than one year after it is released. We would not do it otherwise.
@Shivendra: OK. Thanks. I think that we will give it a shot without OMSA, then. Thomas 
Brilliant. This is extremely helpful. Final question: Would you recommend doing an upgrade install from 2012 R2? The server is a hyper-V host
Cool. How did you deploy? Using Lifecycle controller or just from a DVD? How did you get raid drivers available to Windows?
May I ask how you know that Server 2016 is supported for R510? I have found the opposite in two separate locations: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2016/11/10/dell-pow... See more...
May I ask how you know that Server 2016 is supported for R510? I have found the opposite in two separate locations: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2016/11/10/dell-poweredge-servers-certified-for-windows-server-2016 http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20438149/download.aspx Or do you mean that even though R510 is not formally supported, it will in fact work? That might be good enough for me...
Frequently when we update OMSA it messes up Hyper-V virtual switch configurations because it somehow reconfigures NICs when it loads a new Broadcom/QLink SNMP agent. That is a pain. Leaving OMSA al... See more...
Frequently when we update OMSA it messes up Hyper-V virtual switch configurations because it somehow reconfigures NICs when it loads a new Broadcom/QLink SNMP agent. That is a pain. Leaving OMSA alone for a long time also does not work well for us since the self-signed SSL certificates tend to conflict with newer browsers. What specifically would I be sad to miss on 11G, 12G and 13G without OMSA?
A specific case: I have a T410 with OMSA 8.5. It shows up in OME with a warning symbol. Some digging around finds this on the OMSA website: Under System->Logs-Alert I see this: LOG323 M... See more...
A specific case: I have a T410 with OMSA 8.5. It shows up in OME with a warning symbol. Some digging around finds this on the OMSA website: Under System->Logs-Alert I see this: LOG323 Mon Jun 05 17:46:37 2017 Instrumentation Service Severity: Warning, Category: System Health, MessageID: LOG323, Message: The log size is near maximum capacity. Log type: ESM. Oddly I cannot see his warning in OME or in IDrac. Which log is it even talking about? I see that the usual advice is to clear the log. But what would have happened if I had not had OMSA on that server in the first place: Would I not have seen a warning health status in OME at all? Or would I have seen the warning status, but not have been able to finde cause?
I am managing an environment of Dell hardware and prefer to use OME as much as possible. So far we have had the practice of installing OMSA on servers because I thought that was necessary for OME to ... See more...
I am managing an environment of Dell hardware and prefer to use OME as much as possible. So far we have had the practice of installing OMSA on servers because I thought that was necessary for OME to do the job we need. I am no longer sure. Could I manage with just iDrac? I have these types of hardware: 11G, 12G and 13G servers Switches An Equalogic SAN A SonicWALL firewall Some Dell IAP access points We keep the IDracs up-to date. This is what I want to achieve with OME (I am using SNMP and WS-man): receive alert emails when there are hardware problems Use System Update to see precisely which updates are available for which non-compliant system. This is view-only. We do not push anything out from OME. Have an overall indication of Health for each device View hardware logs View hardware inventory Will I be able to do that in OME without OMSA on the servers? Including 11G servers? Is there something else that I should absolutely be doing that OMSA enables? My motivation for getting rid of OMSA is that we are not very good at keeping OMSA up-to-date and we find that doing this is a lot of work. I realise that very similar questions have been asked here before, but I have found the answers to be somewhat contradictory.
Thank you.  That did the trick.
Simple question: Is there a way to get OME to not at all discover any Hyper-V virtual machines? I use OME for hardware monitoring and do no want it clogged up with loads of virtual machines. Am u... See more...
Simple question: Is there a way to get OME to not at all discover any Hyper-V virtual machines? I use OME for hardware monitoring and do no want it clogged up with loads of virtual machines. Am using OME 2.0.1.2222.
Thank you!
Simple Question: Which Dell switches are supported for a Storage Spaces Direct deployment: I am looking for a basic solution, so I do not plan on doing RDMA. RDMA is not required by Windows 201... See more...
Simple Question: Which Dell switches are supported for a Storage Spaces Direct deployment: I am looking for a basic solution, so I do not plan on doing RDMA. RDMA is not required by Windows 2016 S2D according to this Claus Jorgensen blog: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2017/03/27/to-rdma-or-not-to-rdma-that-is-the-question/ Quote: "I often get the question “Is RDMA required for Storage Spaces Direct”. The answer to this question is: no.". I understand that 10Gb IS a requirement of S2D. But are there others? More specifically: Will an X4012 (or two for fault tolerance) work for a 2-node S2D cluster?