Hoopz's Posts

Hoopz's Posts

Awhile back, the battery that originally came with my laptop reached the end of its lifespan and had to be replaced. The replacement battery I got was used but seemed to be in good condition...or so ... See more...
Awhile back, the battery that originally came with my laptop reached the end of its lifespan and had to be replaced. The replacement battery I got was used but seemed to be in good condition...or so I thought. When I have my laptop plugged in with the wall adapter, everything runs smoothely...no problems at all. However, when I run my laptop soley on battery power, my computer randomly shuts off. No shutdown screen, no warning, no nothing. Just...poof! When it does shut off randomly, I can usually wait a few minutes and then turn it back on or plug my computer back into A/C power and it turns right back on again. Also, it doesn't matter how long I've been running on battery power or how much charge my batter has either. I did not have this problem when I was using my original battery. Because of this problem, I now always use my laptop when it's plugged into A/C power. However, I have noticed that touching various places on my laptop causes my laptop to shock me. I know that it is my laptop shocking me (as opposed to me shocking the laptop) because I can be seated in my chair (which isn't grounded) and my feet up off the ground and I don't feel the shock. I do feel the shock when my feet are on the floor. In other words, I get shocked when the electricity in my laptop has chance to pass through me to the ground. This shock doesn't seem to effect the performance of my laptop in any way though. Why is my laptop randomly shutting off when it's on battery power? And does the fact that my laptop seems to have a grounding problem have anything to do with it? I hope I have explained my situation adequately, and any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated. By the way, my laptop is an Inspiron E1705 running Windows Vista Home Premium.