s_elliott_h's Posts

s_elliott_h's Posts

How does one go about installing it?  Just click the.exe once it's dl'd? Does any/everything else need to be closed? I just don't want to mess anything else up.  I have an L502X and the switch to ... See more...
How does one go about installing it?  Just click the.exe once it's dl'd? Does any/everything else need to be closed? I just don't want to mess anything else up.  I have an L502X and the switch to Win10 is (STILL) killing me.  I didn't realize it but apparently the driver had an issue Sep 16 last year and I just saw it, so I am trying to remedy it (when I click on "FreeFall Protection" explorer pops-up with "application not found").. I still haven't found a fix for my Waves MaxxAudio or Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi programs/apps to work right and I gave up waiting for Dell to issue any driver(s) for the "Dell Stage", it's sad.
I also have  Dell XPS15 L502X. I bought it April of 2011.  I intentionally bought this model and got the 2gb GT 540M because I planned to game in the future.  Unfortunately I didn't get any games etc... See more...
I also have  Dell XPS15 L502X. I bought it April of 2011.  I intentionally bought this model and got the 2gb GT 540M because I planned to game in the future.  Unfortunately I didn't get any games etc until after the warranty expired so I had NO clue prior to the expiration.  I played Diablo III and it was ridiculous to the point that I just quit.  I have Skyrim and play it for about 10-15 and I save and exit then restart the game to keep the temp down and avoid crashing.  The only way I have been able to do that is to go into the nvidia control panel and I set Skyrim to "integrated graphics" and the in-game settings are set to the lowest possible.  Seems I originally paid paid $2K so I could use a high performance GPU (nvidia GT 540M 2gb, not the Intel3000HD 1gb GPU)!! If that isn't enough.... Anybody else fall for Microsoft saying your L502X was fully compatible with Win10? I sure did.  When I began having driver issues etc. I pushed on and searched for fixes and the ones I couldn't I just figured between Dell and MS it'd work itself out.  Well seems Dell has chosen to NOT offer ANY updated drivers for Win10 and MS offers no real way to go back to Win7 after the 30-day trial period.  So I now have NO WavesMaxxAudio!!  I have found a solution but it requires reinstalling the original quickset driver and I can't find my "drivers & utilities" disc that came with my PC (I mean ***, it was almost 5 f'n years ago) so I am scared to try the fix. I have never in my life purchased anything besides Dell but as of this experience, I am done.  I have also been the deciding voice for PC purchases among my entire family and very many friends and I have always steered them towards Dell.  Just by recommendation and my family's purchases combined, I bet I've brought Dell well over $100K in business, but you know what? NEVER AGAIN!!  Dell is a large enough corporation that they should be fixing this stuff FOR FREE, we already PAID through the nose to get these XPS machines, making us pay for THEIR screw-ups is absolutely abhorrent behavior.  And if that's not enough, this is probably the tenth time (MS included about Win10) that I've said all of this, between begging Dell for 3 yrs to fix the GPU issue and now with the Win 10 debacle having to beg Dell and MS to please offer some reprieve, I am so outdone with them both I'd actually consider getting a Mac but I know that's no better. This whole scenario is horsepoo and I assure the world, I will NEVER buy another thing that says Dell nor will I ever recommend to another person that they purchase a Dell, quite the contrary as I explain to them that they should buy anything BUT a Dell!! The customer service, to date, has been pisspoor, there has been NO support on any of these issues, only the "runaround".  I am inclined to file a complaint with the BBB and I am also presently conferring with legal counsel as to whether or not I have a course of action and so far it looks good. Worst part is, I don't know when they went wrong.  All purchases I ever made or was a part of from Dell from 1999 thru 2011 when I got this XPS (my 3rd machine from the XPS line at that, first laptop though) were fine, no problems, no complaints whatsoever, so the attitude of this "new & different" Dell was an extra slap in the face.
  I have  Dell XPS15 L502X and Microsoft ( MS ) repeatedly swore that my system was ready, compatible and able to upgrade to Win10 and with MUCH hesitation, I did it. After having some minor ... See more...
  I have  Dell XPS15 L502X and Microsoft ( MS ) repeatedly swore that my system was ready, compatible and able to upgrade to Win10 and with MUCH hesitation, I did it. After having some minor issues for a couple weeks I assumed 10 wasn't so bad since MS & Dell would surely be releasing updates and driver updates etc. and all would work itself out in the end.   Well imagine my surprise when I found out my pc is in fact NOT compatible due to the fact that  Dell is NOT releasing ANY Win10 updates/drivers for my $2K+ "XPS" pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I, of course, did not find this out until well after the 30 days MS gives for the "easy rollback to 7 ".    I was going to just push through the nonsense and just figure out workarounds and driver rollbacks, compatibilities, etc. until I could manage to get most everything working again but I am at wit's end now.  Between MS forcing Win10 on everybody, lying to them and telling them their machines are compatible with Win10 and then Dell basically hanging me out to dry on the driver updates, I'm just screwed.   So my question is, can I just wipe the drive and reinstall Win7 from my Win7 "Reinstallation DVD" that came with my pc?   And if I can do that, will I be able to get all of the necessary drivers from the "drivers and downloads" section of the Dell Support site? (I cannot find my "drivers & utilities" disc that came with my pc  anywhere to save my life!)   This is the only solution I can think of.  I am not very computer savvy but I know some basics and this has been a very confusing situation so if my idea seems drastic or extreme, that's why.  Any info, help, better ideas, suggestions etc. that anyone can muster, I'd be more than glad to hear 'em/it!   Thanks in advance and all apologies if this exact scenario has been presented and solved already in the past as I was unable to locate it.   Best of wishes and Happy Holidays,   Sean.
This is NOT the first time I have tried to address this with Dell so I don't want anybody thinking I'm just being irrational or an intentional a-hole... I bought an "XPS15_L502X" and with the many ... See more...
This is NOT the first time I have tried to address this with Dell so I don't want anybody thinking I'm just being irrational or an intentional a-hole... I bought an "XPS15_L502X" and with the many upgrades I added, I ended up paying well over of $1800 for it (a few years ago). I have never purchased anything other than Dell (in my entire life) and hadn't ever planned to, until "Windows 10" released. I upgraded to "Win10" and have since lost some functionality, most of which I can deal with (and don't really mind too much) but the loss of "Waves MAXXAUDIO3" sound is pissing me off. I paid extra for THIS system partly because of the "JBL" speakers and the upgraded sound etc. via the "Waves MAXXAUDIO3" program. Now after 15 years of my loyalty and dedication to Dell, after having ALWAYS bragged on Dell to EVERYONE and insisted they purchase Dell products (free of charge too, even though people in commercials get paid), Dell has slapped me square in the face and I will NOT sit by and allow it to just happen without speaking my mind. At first I was upset and assumed Dell would remedy the situation in time, so over the last few months I have been checking back regularly to see if anything has been issued. Recently I let some time lapse, trying to not worry about it, and today I remembered to check in, only to find the MOST disturbing bit of info I could possibly come across, and directly from Dell! So, given the info I have found.... I want to know why all these other XPS models INCLUDING the "XPS15_L521X" have been officially upgraded for Windows 10 with 100% functionality w/updated drivers etc etc and my "XPS15_L502X" isn't and won't be???!!!! This is deplorable and a complete breach of the trust I had in Dell. As copy/pasted below, it can easily be seen how many models of XPS pc's Dell DID in fact upgrade for "Win10", BUT WHY NOT MINE???!!! DID I NOT SPEND $1,800+ CASH??!! Am I somehow less of a customer for having bought the "L502X" and not the "L521X"?! Is the money I spent not the same as the purchasers of the "L521X"? (even more so, what about the "XPS17" owners out there? They paid even MORE than I did for the 17" model, do they not warrant a "Win10" upgrade either??!!) The abhorrent info I found: "A list of the computers that have been tested for upgrade to Windows 10. If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, drivers have not been updated for that model, and Dell does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10. If you wish to proceed with an upgrade to Windows 10 on an untested system, Microsoft provides information an support for upgrade through their upgrade website. Model: XPS Duo 11 (9P33 XPS Duo 12 (L221x, 9Q23) XPS 12 (9Q33) XPS 13 L321X XPS 13 L322X XPS 13 9333 * XPS 13 9343 XPS 14 (L421x) XPS 15 (L521x) XPS 15 9530" I doubt Dell cares since my *** little couple grand every few years won't hurt them in the end but I assure you, all that energy I devoted to bragging about Dell will now be spent doing all I can to steer people AWAY from Dell, the once great company that now [expletive] on certain customers. So, if I can sway even 10 people away from Dell annually, my little couple grand will be over $20K and every year as opposed to every few years. Make no mistake Dell, I will do all I can to ruin you to every person I meet..... UNLESS of course SOMEBODY at Dell will finally address this and me. Ignoring it/me won't work, obviously as it hasn't for the last few months. I am on the computer ALL day and I will spare no chance to tell people about how a loyal customer to Dell of 15+ years, having spent (between just my household alone, who all came to me for purchasing advice) approximately $26k with Dell was just chucked aside and ignored. Anybody who went to the added expense of buying an XPS model (ALL FOUR TIMES HE BOUGHT A DELL PC, it's not like it's a budget friendly Inspiron or something and granted it's not Alienware but it's the next best thing Dell has) should be secure in the fact that Dell will ALWAYS support upgrades for the XPS model line and stand behind their EXPENSIVE pc's! I mean, THIS is how Dell says thank you to its loyal XPS customers?! NEVER AGAIN DELL!!!! (Unless, like I said, somebody wants to get take pride in their job/company AND FIX THIS!!!!!!!!)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This has been eating at me for 2 weeks and finally, DONE! Awesome! And thanks again!!!   Sean Elliott H. P.S. I upgraded my Win7 to Win10 (Dock worked fine after t... See more...
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This has been eating at me for 2 weeks and finally, DONE! Awesome! And thanks again!!!   Sean Elliott H. P.S. I upgraded my Win7 to Win10 (Dock worked fine after the upgrade to Win10 for months and then for no reason it just suddenly stopped loading) and applied the exact same fix and it worked, just as you said, the very first try.
I have a Dell XPS15 L502X and I'm having the same problem. When you say "in compatibility mode", do you mean I need to reboot in "compatibility mode" or something and then install the drivers ... See more...
I have a Dell XPS15 L502X and I'm having the same problem. When you say "in compatibility mode", do you mean I need to reboot in "compatibility mode" or something and then install the drivers or do you mean that "compatibility mode" is a setting I select as I am performing each task? More importantly, why are we having to even do this nonsense in the first place, why hasn't Dell already tested our " XPS15/17 L502X/L702X 's" and handled this?!?! Why can we not find drivers for our PC's? Did we not pay extra for the premium sound hardware/software? Do we not, as loyal Dell ("XPS") customers  DESERVE the service of having Dell be ahead of this? (this is my 3rd   XPS  machine, and unless this is resolved, it'll be my LAST )  Did Microsoft not give AMPLE advance and notice about the Windows 10 release and the fact that it is a FREE upgrade for ALL Windows 7 and 8/8.1 PC's?! So, that said,  WHEN can we expect a remedy and not have to do all this work to make our ~$2,000 PC's sound good again? When will a driver update be released?
I have had the dell xps l502x since April of 2011. I did not buy the pc specifically for gaming but I did make sure it had the specs if I ever did choose too. Well, I finally did, I got Diablo 3 and ... See more...
I have had the dell xps l502x since April of 2011. I did not buy the pc specifically for gaming but I did make sure it had the specs if I ever did choose too. Well, I finally did, I got Diablo 3 and the pc just freezes and I have to hold the power button and do a force shutdown, with Skyrim I am able to play via the Intel HD3000 gpu but the graphics are *** and I PAID for the NVIDIA gpu ON PURPOSE. I assumed it was a driver update issue and tried that etc, of course no luck. In that digging I found a PLETHORA of forum threads/posts etc of MASSIVE amounts of people ALL complaining about this nvidia 540m in the xps L502x... All I have to say is, if Dell was building cars, the government would have forced a recall. I spent over 1800$ on my pc and it has never worked properly for me (unfortunately I did not get into gaming until after the warranty expired, but of course I had no clue that I spent all that money on JUNK).. I suggest Dell do something to rectify this issue with L502X customers or I will make it my LIFE MISSION to never miss a chance to tell my tale, enlighten ANY prospective buyers and refuse that they allow themselves to be screwed so ridiculously by a piss-poor *** company that has NO level of customer care or satisfaction.. And let me be even more frank and explain that I am 39 years old and have been buying computers for 15+ years or so now and I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING BUT DELL. I have been loyal to this company, and obviously to a fault ... And I can assure you, I will NEVER buy anything by Dell or that has anything to do with Dell ever again. I know my one little person self won't make a difference to the company, but I assure you, Dell has lost a very loyal, lifetime customer. FOR SHAME DELL, FOR SHAME. And yes, I am SO serious when I say that my life mission will be to ruin Dell's name to every ear that will listen to me..... 
If you get Kaspersky PURE for your a/v program, it will show you how to completely remove McAfee and/or Norton!! Also, this problem isn't related to the DNS malware issue that the FBI & everybody ... See more...
If you get Kaspersky PURE for your a/v program, it will show you how to completely remove McAfee and/or Norton!! Also, this problem isn't related to the DNS malware issue that the FBI & everybody warned about (you'll lose internet if you have it etc....)??
As for the charger not recognized. I have had that message pop up before and it went away after I took it out and put it back in a few times. Have u tried GENTLY wiggling it? or putting it in with a ... See more...
As for the charger not recognized. I have had that message pop up before and it went away after I took it out and put it back in a few times. Have u tried GENTLY wiggling it? or putting it in with a slight angle to it? You could also try cleaning the jack & plug. Personally, I think it's a minor flaw in the design & placement of the jack on the pc itself and also with the plug part of the cable. To explain, if the desk/surface the pc is on does not have adequate depth, the cord will hang with all of its own weight, pulling on the power jack and stressing its connection on the inside (to the motherboard I assume). The jack should fit more securely, or lock/latch in for stability (similar to a large headphone or microphone jack/plug). Also, I think the plug itself should be remodeled to maximize the hold provided by the snapping in/locking mechanism. Upon insertion of the cord, the plug & jack should click or snap into place and lock. The plug should also be redesigned to exit the jack/casing at a 90 degree angle so the cord can be manipulated to rest parallel to the machine rather than perpendicular.
[well duh to me! lol] .. You are correct Phonemes. Forgive my 'faux pas' in my assumption of Fahrenheit. To explain to any who have interest, Later the very same week that my warranty expired, m... See more...
[well duh to me! lol] .. You are correct Phonemes. Forgive my 'faux pas' in my assumption of Fahrenheit. To explain to any who have interest, Later the very same week that my warranty expired, my fan began making a strange, almost grinding noise (it sounds like bearings or something). Anyway, the same week my warranty expires it starts with the noise (in addition to the fan's constant running and/or on-off-on-off... syndromes) and now all cores & hdd etc just stay hot (160+F). The fan spins and seems to run its same/similar cycles as always (the "syndromes" I mentioned earlier), but now it's creating a strange noise and no longer cooling adequately. I dl'd SpeedFan but it won't recognize the fan (even after selecting the "Dell" option in the settings) but I have it set to ramp the fan to 100% upon exiting the program. Which comes in handy when it reaches above boiling temps, I shut off the app and restart it and the fan will run at what it must think 100% is for maybe a minute then does its own thing again (including overheating). I can't even stream Netflix without it causing me to stop 20 times for manual cooling efforts and I've been fighting with this issue since April. The way Dell has the fan positioned, it will take a "Dell Tech" to even access it, so I'm not sure how I'll go about solving this. I got in a car wreck and my settlement check bought the PC, but I can't work anymore because of the wreck and obviously cannot afford to have a Dell Tech do the work. It's a shame that I have never, in my life, purchased anything but a Dell, and now I don't think I'll be buying one again (unless I can somehow convince Dell to take care of this issue for me). I spent over $1800.USD, and a matter of a few days after warranty expiration, it acts up! NOT COOL! (no pun intended lol). Funny thing is, I originally (REALLY) wanted the 17", I was dead set on purchasing the L702X but opted for the L502X specifically due to overheating issues I kept reading about everywhere online with the L702X. Seems as though that very same fate was most inevitable and seemingly meant to be for me.
Sure glad jorgeo was lucky enough to have this issue arise during warranty coverage! Sounds like a stellar and most convenient fix! Not everyone is so lucky. I find it odd that later in the very s... See more...
Sure glad jorgeo was lucky enough to have this issue arise during warranty coverage! Sounds like a stellar and most convenient fix! Not everyone is so lucky. I find it odd that later in the very same week of my warranty's expiration, my fan became noisy making a strange sound (sounds like bearings are causing the noise) and I have had overheating problems ever since. I wish it would have acted up a few days earlier, or I wish that my fan wasn't rigged to fail after 367 days. As far as PC's & PDA's, I've never purchased anything BUT a Dell in my entire life, next time, I think I'll be switching.
80 degrees?? My temps range from 160-215! (i7 2620M). My problem must be different.
I figured as much. Thank you so much for the help and insight, much appreciated! Sean
I currently have an XPS 15 L502X with an i7-2620M (Sandy Bridge) & an Nvidia GeForce GT-540M..  First, do you know off hand if is it possible to upgrade my current pc to the Ivy Bridge cpu & the 6x... See more...
I currently have an XPS 15 L502X with an i7-2620M (Sandy Bridge) & an Nvidia GeForce GT-540M..  First, do you know off hand if is it possible to upgrade my current pc to the Ivy Bridge cpu & the 6xx series GeForce gpu? Second, do you feel that it's at all necessary or worth the money & trouble? I ask being I have a tendency to lean toward overkill. I tried googling but all I discovered were conflicting suggestions etc. Thanks either way, Sean