Xcross's Posts

Xcross's Posts

Okay just got blackscreen again, this time it was instant, did not make any weird sounds and it did not have the NVIDIA card crash error before it happend. I could not see the light when I toggle... See more...
Okay just got blackscreen again, this time it was instant, did not make any weird sounds and it did not have the NVIDIA card crash error before it happend. I could not see the light when I toggled Num lock or caps lock, had not tried doing that during the blackscreen before but I read in another topic that I should try it out to get a hint of where/what the problem might be. Still it does not tell me much since I don't know shit :P. Very well, this means that setting the NVIDIA Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance does not fix it. Even though the computer ran problem-free for a good while. Will now try the thing Chris M mentioned, disable physX, sli, readyboost. reboot and turn on SLI
I have tried to reinstall all the video card drivers. Last time I did it I didn't even get any option of Steroscopic 3D and there is no steroscopic 3D drivers on my computer either so don't think... See more...
I have tried to reinstall all the video card drivers. Last time I did it I didn't even get any option of Steroscopic 3D and there is no steroscopic 3D drivers on my computer either so don't think that is a problem. I have not tried the last thing you mentioned though. So far it has been doing fine since i put the NVIDIA Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance". If I get a blackscreen again I will try the last thing you mentioned 🙂
So I have seen so many threads about the common Blackscreen problem everyone has. I got it myself on my Alienware M17X R-1. I'm not the best when it comes to computers and all. But recently I'... See more...
So I have seen so many threads about the common Blackscreen problem everyone has. I got it myself on my Alienware M17X R-1. I'm not the best when it comes to computers and all. But recently I've been quite eager to attempt to fix this problem, because the only way to avoid it has been to run my computer on my intergrated card instead of my SLI GTX 260m. And I must say that the intergrated one is quite worthless compared to SLI. So for those who do not know about the problem. I personally get it when I some times play games or watch youtube videos. What happens is often that I might first get a error saying that "Nvidia drivers has crashed and been restored..." after my screen turns black for a second. If I continue watching or playing, it turns all black and I have to turn my computer off by holding down the power button. Once this blackscreen appears my sound messes up as well. It makes some glitchy noises for a second or two. I know there are alot of suggestions on how to fix this problem. I've been trying out a few, so I will write my result here and update as I try out different things. -Deactivate Intergrated card and run on SLI only. Result: Got the blackscreen just as quickly as when I got both cards on. -Reinstalling all drivers. Result: Makes no difference -Download different drivers, old and new. Result: Does not seem to make much of a difference either, yet I had not tried very many. -Make sure GPU or CPU does not overheat Result: It has never gone above 65c as I have seen. Not sure at what temp they crash but I heard there should only be a problem if they stay at 90c+ -Set the power settings to high preformance Result: I believe this is important to avoid the black screen yet I have got it with the settings on High Preformance. -Set the NVIDIA Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance Result: After doing this it worked problem free for a good while. Played a whole day, watched videos no problems. I just suddenly got the blackscreen when doing nothing and running no applications. Also it was instant without any glitchy sound, after reboot it seems to be running fine again. -Disable physX, SLI and readyboost. Reboot and turn on SLI I have not tried it yet but will do so soon. -Lower the clock speed I have not yet tried this since I have never been messing with the clocking settings before and I am a bit afriad to do so. I read that it should be possible and might fix the problem. Do it at own risk though. Please add your suggestions, tips and solutions if you have any. I am as I mentioned earlier not very good when it comes to computers and I have only been hunting different solutions on different forums. I am not happy before I get a reason to why the black screen appears or until I find a stable solution for it. __________________________________________________________________________________ If you are interested where I got all this information from I will add a few links to this thread incase you wanna look it up yourself. -Another discussion here on the DELL Alienware forums http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19390258.aspx -Another discussion whit a possible Fix by BatBoy, I have not yet fully tried it http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/447992-returning-m17x-3.html In my case it might be that the Blackscreen problem is connected to the "Nvidia drivers has crashed and been restored..." problem. So here are some links to that as well. -A several different fixes for the problem http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-stopped-responding.php -A discussion about the problem in the NVIDIA forums http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=209372&st=0 Cheers, X-Cross
I got a m17x r1.. lots and lots of trouble with it.
I haven't found a fix for it yet. Gotta run my laptop on my intergrated card to keep it stable D:. Will try to reinstall windows and all the drivers and make sure I do everything in the correct o... See more...
I haven't found a fix for it yet. Gotta run my laptop on my intergrated card to keep it stable D:. Will try to reinstall windows and all the drivers and make sure I do everything in the correct order. Try out some different video drivers and see which works best. Will come back with results.
bump: Sorry to bother but could someone please answer? 🙂
Yeah, heard that i should not install the command center from CD. I was actually even thinking about reinstalling windows 7 because I had major problems lately and I just want to wipe everything ... See more...
Yeah, heard that i should not install the command center from CD. I was actually even thinking about reinstalling windows 7 because I had major problems lately and I just want to wipe everything and try to install all the drivers in the correct order this time. The first time I just installed them randomly :S. by the way, when you format a drive it's only to right click it and choose format right? And when i reinstall windows will, i then be able to choose my new harddrive as my primary during the installation? Or is it alot more complicated than that? Thanks alot for the help though! 😄 750GB is enough for me so I think i'll buy that one. By the way, this is the same one right?: www.komplett.se/.../ki.aspx I could not buy it from the site you linked me. Seems like you must live in the US to do so, i'm from Sweden. Also it says  "System needs: Apple MacOS, Microsoft Windows Vista / 2000 / XP" Nothing about windows7? :S You sure it will work?
Bump, someone please help. Don't wanna waste money on something that won't work. 😞
I had the same problem. I had to reinstall the bios and activate the the hybrid graphics right after. Sure I can easily switch between my two cards but when running on my 260m it does not take lo... See more...
I had the same problem. I had to reinstall the bios and activate the the hybrid graphics right after. Sure I can easily switch between my two cards but when running on my 260m it does not take long before my laptop goes nuts. I get errors that constantly says "your card has stopped responding and has successfully been reset" or something like that, mine is in swedish so don't know the exact text. But also when I play games with my 260m running it does not take long before it all turns black, some times alot of noise is heard, some times i can see the cursor, some times it just stays black for a short while. Seems like alot of people have been having troubles with the 260m or 280m on the m17x r-1. I've found loads of threads about the blackscreen issues, also different fixes but nothing ever really fix it to a 100% for me :/.. Guess i'll have to wipe all my drivers and reinstall them. I think I installed them in the wrong oreder or something the first time. Anyway, it took me a while to notice as well since I won this computer. I didn't even know it was possible to switch to the 260m before recently lol. I'm such a noob 😄
So I noticed my Alienware has two slots for had drives. And since I currently lack space on my computer it would be nice to place on in my empty slot. Still I don't know what hard drivers that ar... See more...
So I noticed my Alienware has two slots for had drives. And since I currently lack space on my computer it would be nice to place on in my empty slot. Still I don't know what hard drivers that are compatible with the m17 r-1 and I don't know if there is anything else I should think about when buying one. Also if it's neccessary to do anything special after putting it into the laptop. Any compatible hard drivers here?: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=5992&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anav&p=1 Please help, i'm not so good when it comes to computers 😧
Well, I am pretty sure I got 240 watt adapter. It says weird things about "240v input" on the back of it, + it's huge so if I would have the "smaller" version I believe the bigger one would be th... See more...
Well, I am pretty sure I got 240 watt adapter. It says weird things about "240v input" on the back of it, + it's huge so if I would have the "smaller" version I believe the bigger one would be the size of half my m17x lol. Okay, great then I won't worry about the heat, still I will buy a cooler so i can increase the life lenght of what ever is inside it. One thing though, I've never used Ebay, isn't there any site where I can buy new and fresh versions of it? Isn't Ebay like second hand stuff? I live in Sweden so ebay is not used that much here. still thanks for all the help! you're awesome, got so many questions answered in such a short  time :D.
Hey, thanks for the answer. I think I actually currently have a 240 watt adapter (I think I got this one:  ). But are you sure it's not worth buying a second card? at the moment it seems like ... See more...
Hey, thanks for the answer. I think I actually currently have a 240 watt adapter (I think I got this one:  ). But are you sure it's not worth buying a second card? at the moment it seems like my single 260m card has to work very hard when I'm running on it. Wouldn't two of them like "plit up the work" sort of? Cuz it gets so very heated when I am using high graphics in games that it almost creeps me out some times D:.  By the way, do you know any program that I can use to see the temp of my GPU or CPU or what ever it's called?
Oh this answers alot of my questions.. But still I am confused.. Cuz along with the bios came the drivers for both my graphic cards.. And I got the option of hybrid SLI to switch between my 260 a... See more...
Oh this answers alot of my questions.. But still I am confused.. Cuz along with the bios came the drivers for both my graphic cards.. And I got the option of hybrid SLI to switch between my 260 and my 9400.. But how can I have SLI option if I only got one graphic card? :S Is it messed up, or nothing to worry about? It runs alot better on my 260 but gets very heated after some time. Would you reccomend buying another? By the way, if I now buy a new card. Can I buy a 280 and mix it with my 260 or should I have 2x 260 or 2x 280?
Hey, so lately I noticed that my m17x got very hot by running on SLI. So I decided to open it up for the first time and clean out the fans. I was following the instructions of this video: htt... See more...
Hey, so lately I noticed that my m17x got very hot by running on SLI. So I decided to open it up for the first time and clean out the fans. I was following the instructions of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20wn96uac0&feature=channel_video_title and noticed that he got two graphic cards in his computer. I have always thought mine had that as well but apparently not.. I guess. I don't know much about computers or graphic cards at all but shouldn't the m17 look like his laptop does at: 5:47  ? Well, mine looks like this, which made me very suspicious. The thing is that I won the computer at a movie contest and have had quite alot of problems with it. Now have I been tricked? Did they miss to put in a graphic card? Or am I just very lost and don't know what I am talking about? Please help!
What D:? I want to be able to switch between the two graphic cards cuz when I am using the 260m it seems to get overheated or something. Atleast it gets very warm on the top left side of the lapt... See more...
What D:? I want to be able to switch between the two graphic cards cuz when I am using the 260m it seems to get overheated or something. Atleast it gets very warm on the top left side of the laptop. By the way, do you know any programs so you can check the temp of your what's it called. CPU or GPU? Dunno the difference, that's how bad I am on computers.
Oh, alright, so it's nothing to worry about then? 🙂
I just noticed something on my Alienware that I has not noticed before. It's supposed to have 9400m G but it shows up as a 9400m.. I don't know very much about computers in general since I won th... See more...
I just noticed something on my Alienware that I has not noticed before. It's supposed to have 9400m G but it shows up as a 9400m.. I don't know very much about computers in general since I won this one but I wonder if this is something I should worry about? I've had quite a few problems with graphic drivers lately to get the 260M to run correctly. Here is a picture   Please help!
m18x? why didn't I even know that existed? And I who think my m17x is huge :S. Very well, noisy beeps? It actually happend some times for me when playing league of legends while using the 9400 ca... See more...
m18x? why didn't I even know that existed? And I who think my m17x is huge :S. Very well, noisy beeps? It actually happend some times for me when playing league of legends while using the 9400 card. It lasted for just a second and then the game kept running. Yet once I got a major lagg with extreme noise which gave me the black screen. Still I could hear the sound and see my cursor after it was over.
Finally some people with the exact same issue as me. I got M17x 4096mb RAM Nvidia Geforce 260m (and the 9400m ofcourse) BIOS Ver A07 1.000PARTTBLZ 64bit windows 7 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 D... See more...
Finally some people with the exact same issue as me. I got M17x 4096mb RAM Nvidia Geforce 260m (and the 9400m ofcourse) BIOS Ver A07 1.000PARTTBLZ 64bit windows 7 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz The sad thing was that my computer worked out "fine" but then I found out "hey, I am supposed to have SLI with 260m drivers, why can't I find them?". So when I got the drivers installed (correctly?) the 260m drivers would dissappear after some time. Yet now I got it fixed after reinstalling the bios and activating them inside the bios setup since they were somehow automaticly disabled there. Now after getting them running I can run games on much higher graphics and such but I get the same problem as you guys. My screen turns black every now and then, I can hear audio and some times see the cursor. Often happens when gaming but also happend randomly while looking around at youtube for an example. And yeah, I noticed that it gets very heated at the back when I got SLI running. Yet I have tried to clean the fans, but I haven't bought a cooler since it does not seem to be the main problem. Still, I will get one sooner or later anyhow. But I would LOVE a fix for this black screen problem cuz I have found NONE. Else I will send it in to reperation but I doubt they will find a stable fix for it. I notice alot of people got this problem, but why is it so hard to find a good fix for it? It would suck to game with my 9400m card, force me to always have graphics on minimum in most games. Please don't let this thread die 😧
Now, I've been having some troubles with my Alienware m17x lately. It started out with me updating it to windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded all the necessary drivers but the trouble seemed to appear when... See more...
Now, I've been having some troubles with my Alienware m17x lately. It started out with me updating it to windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded all the necessary drivers but the trouble seemed to appear when I downloaded and installed the 64bit BIOS which included the nvidia GTX 260m driver. It worked out fine for a couple of days but then suddenly when I shut it off the alienware start button keeps on glowing while it's plugged in. Also when ever I start it while it's plugged in everything freezes when the windows logo is about to appear and says "starting". Now it did start properly when I had the computer unplugged and could then plug it in again after it was started. Yet every time the computer froze at the same spot. The other weird thing is that after this freeze thing has happend a couple of times, my GTX 260m drivers suddenly disappear. This happened twice now, which just a couple of days after installing the BIOS. Which I then ofcourse did twice. I'm not the very best when it comes to computers so it would be awesome with some help. Sadly I cannot send it in to tell for reperation of some sort since I won this computer in a movie contest and did not recieve any proof of buying it. Note: I also had a few other minor problems with it but figured the post would be too long if I explained them all.