seekingbuddha's Posts

seekingbuddha's Posts

I wanted to  answer and complete my own thread, so that it can be of use to someone in future, who is searching the internet.   For  the question #1,  i found answer by reading the wikipedia  about  ... See more...
I wanted to  answer and complete my own thread, so that it can be of use to someone in future, who is searching the internet.   For  the question #1,  i found answer by reading the wikipedia  about  dual-link DVI  (or  DVI standard - one of these two, i just don't remember).   Basically,  only a Dual-link DVI is capable of  higher resolution (more than 1080p) - that simply is the standards.   Due to technical differences it would be very hard to find a cable that converts  all of the signal  of  Displayport into  DVI.  DVI  is simply too old a standard, compared to Displayport specs.  There were also many reports on the internet where i saw people  having difficulty  running a  DVI  monitor  using  adapters (either passive or active adapter - it does not matter - eventually they stop working).  So,  i decided to go with my second option,  of buying a cheap $10  graphics card on ebay that has  dual-link DVI ability to drive my monitor.   Note that if you are playing  games on your computer, you need to be watchful about the  WDDM  standard of the  graphics card that you are buying.  Many older graphics cards simply can not conform to the  standards that are required by modern  video games.  I do not  play video games on PC,  and hence for me the older $10  nvidia quadro was more than i needed.     This was the cheapest solution to drive my 2560 x 1440  Achiva Shimian monitor that had only DVI-D input. It turned out that the graphics card produced way better contrast and color than what my  built in (newer) intel  HD graphics could accomplish without the card (on a Samsung monitor of same resolution).
I just realized  that  i used the four letter word  only  in this thread topic (and modified it immediately when i realized that it would not show up).   But  the  thread  that  got held up by  the  ... See more...
I just realized  that  i used the four letter word  only  in this thread topic (and modified it immediately when i realized that it would not show up).   But  the  thread  that  got held up by  the  SPAM  filter  was created  prior  to this thread.   And  that thread (which you pointed out in your earlier reply)   did not  have any  four letter words.   So,  i am still at a loss to figure out  WHY  that  thread was marked as  SPAM.  There is something fishy about  this  new  SPAM filter.  
Thank you.   Who  would have thought  that  the four letter word for vacuuming  mouth  is prohibited  by  the SPAM filter.   This  process  in Dell forums needs to be stream lined a bit more, so that... See more...
Thank you.   Who  would have thought  that  the four letter word for vacuuming  mouth  is prohibited  by  the SPAM filter.   This  process  in Dell forums needs to be stream lined a bit more, so that  posts  do not get held up for hours (until  a moderator has time to look at it).   Hopefully  someone from  DELL  or a moderator will pass these feedbacks to tech team of dell  website maintenance.
I  have been a member of  Dell forums for some years, and have posted on and off.  Suddenly,  the new thread that i started today  has a problem. When i clicked on post, i got a  yellow box  saying "... See more...
I  have been a member of  Dell forums for some years, and have posted on and off.  Suddenly,  the new thread that i started today  has a problem. When i clicked on post, i got a  yellow box  saying "Marked as SPAM.  IF you feel this is an error, submit an abuse report."    So,  i sent a message to the moderator. I have not heard back.  I am wondering why  my thread (shown here)  has  been marked  as SPAM  and how to  publish it. Thanks for the help.
I have spent many hours on this problem, and hoping to get a clear answer from Rockstars here.  I have a T1700 running i7-4770.  This model comes with 2 displayports. I need to connect this to a chea... See more...
I have spent many hours on this problem, and hoping to get a clear answer from Rockstars here.  I have a T1700 running i7-4770.  This model comes with 2 displayports. I need to connect this to a cheap monitor that has  ONLY  1 dual link DVI-D interface.  There are no other interfaces on monitor.  The  native resolution of this monitor is 2560x1440.   I  do not wish to  run this monitor at any lower resolutions.  Note that  this monitor is not capable of  using a  single-link  DVI --- has been already tried and it failed. There is only the onboard intel HD graphics on this desktop.  Now, the problem here is to pass the video signal from onboard graphics to this monitor.  From what i have read on the internet so far,  this requires one of the following  two  options : First preferred option...If the displayport is capable of dual-link DVI conversion, then  i simply  buy a  "passive"  converter.  According to  the specs on the intel site  the onboard graphics provides 3840x2160@60Hz .  But,  according to  what i have read from  displayport.org  ONLY  a   "dual link  Displayport"  has the ability to  do  conversion of  signal  into   DVI  format.    So,  the question is ...."Is  the displayport  on this  desktop  dual-link ?  In other words, can it  push out  the  DVI-D  signal to run monitor  at  2560x1440.   If this is possible, i can buy a  "passive  adapter",  from amazon for about $15  and be done with this (if i can find an adapter than can run at desired resolution). The second option is to buy a  "Active adapter"  that can convert displayport to  DVI  signals.  Since these are expensive,  i do not wish to go with this option.  If  option #1  is not possible,  then i may look into buying a cheapo  graphics card on ebay  that can  run DVI-D  at 2560x1440.  Last i checked i can find a  used  graphics card  for less than $20  on  ebay.    I am not a gamer, and this monitor is mainly  used for  web surfing and netflix.  Thanks for  any  clarifications.
This  seems like a good thread  to bring together all memory related  issues.  So,  here are some further questions on  Precision T1700 RAM.  I am getting a Mini-tower version of this soon.  So, here... See more...
This  seems like a good thread  to bring together all memory related  issues.  So,  here are some further questions on  Precision T1700 RAM.  I am getting a Mini-tower version of this soon.  So, here are my questions.... From the table above,  it is not clear if  i can  use  Non-ECC  to  upgrade from 16GB.   Can i have a mix of ECC & non-ECC  (2 and 2 of each to get to 32 GB) ??  Or do they all have to be the same kind  (ie.  4x 8gb  of  non-ecc will work)  ? From the other  thread here,  it seems like only  Unbuffered ECC can be used,  not  Registered memory. Can you confirm this ? Is only  low voltage (1.35V)   supported,  or both  1.35 as well as 1.5V  are  supported ?  Again,  can there be a mix of  different voltage specs in the  DIMMs ?
OK.  sounds good.  I am sure i typed a long reply,  considering the rant of  "done-with-it"  and  perhaps it got moved  or deleted when his message was  moved.   Never mind  that,  since  he  seems t... See more...
OK.  sounds good.  I am sure i typed a long reply,  considering the rant of  "done-with-it"  and  perhaps it got moved  or deleted when his message was  moved.   Never mind  that,  since  he  seems to have been tagged for  bad  behavior  :-)    Thanks for your  explanation.   The purpose of this thread is served, and concluded. 
Why  are  you guys  deleting messages  now  and changing  the  original  title  that was created by me for this thread ?   The message posted by  "done-with-it"   has been deleted,  as well as my  re... See more...
Why  are  you guys  deleting messages  now  and changing  the  original  title  that was created by me for this thread ?   The message posted by  "done-with-it"   has been deleted,  as well as my  reply to him (in this thread).  The  title  of  this  thread  that was created by me has been changed  without   consulting me.    Just  being  a  moderator  does  not  give you  the right  to  start  acting  like a  communist  country  dictator and doing  things to  free speech here.    Whoever  did this  needs  to be  reprimanded by  DELL.    Being  a  moderator  is a  privilege,  but  use that  privilege  properly and sensibly.   That  message  posted by  "done-with-it"  did not have  any  offending  words  and neither  did i post any offending words.
@Dell-SreejithR , Please leave the thread in the general  topics area,  because  of the nature of  the  original post.  It is likely that others  will  come here searching for it,  and find it.  (O... See more...
@Dell-SreejithR , Please leave the thread in the general  topics area,  because  of the nature of  the  original post.  It is likely that others  will  come here searching for it,  and find it.  (Obviously, they could not find  Precision  related thread,  just like how i could not easily locate  it by navigating the  top level of  Dell community forum).  Perhaps  Dell should include the names of  older systems (like  Precision)  in their top level hierarchy  for  navigation purposes.   This  thread is a result of  that lack  of  proper  UI  at  top level of  Community forum. There can be a simple drop down box there,  that lists all the  different  DELL systems going back to 20 years, and link them from there to  appropriate  forums.  I hope someone  who works for  Dell  management  is  reading these forums.
I am considering purchase of  a  T1700  with  intel  i7-4770.   Upon checking intel websites,  i find that intel is referring me  to  Dell (manufacturer),  even though  they  say  that the  CPU  is c... See more...
I am considering purchase of  a  T1700  with  intel  i7-4770.   Upon checking intel websites,  i find that intel is referring me  to  Dell (manufacturer),  even though  they  say  that the  CPU  is capable  of  Intel virtualization in BIOS.   Can  someone  verify  that  DELL  BIOS  has  these capability  turned  on, and i can  use this CPU to full extent  ?   I need  virtualization  in  my next  PC. Thanks -  seeking
Thanks rockstar for that fast reply.  Will post my question in the section you pointed to....Check it out too :-)
Just logged back into Dell forums after couple of years.  I am noticing that DELL has  removed  the  "categories"  for  older  Desktops  (that are less than 7 years old).   I  was considering  purcha... See more...
Just logged back into Dell forums after couple of years.  I am noticing that DELL has  removed  the  "categories"  for  older  Desktops  (that are less than 7 years old).   I  was considering  purchase of  a  Dell  Precision  T1700   used  item  from  local  craigslist  ads.   But  this lack of  community  support  for older models (that were sold by dell in 2014)   makes  me  question   DELL  as  a viable   option for my  future purchases.  I have been using dell for  decades,  and  this  community  support has been one of the strong reasons for my continued  purchases of  Dell  PCs.   Now,  i  do not  see a  separate  category  for  Precision,  when i navigate  the community area.  Why  this  stupid  decision  by  DELL  to  cut out the  free support  people can get from  community ?  All the older  models  topics  have been relegated  to  "READ only" mode.     I predict that the general  area  of the new forums  are going to be inundated with questions  from  people who bought  DELL  5 years ago, and  want  answers.
No help from this forum. So,  i wanted to post my own answer, found through my upgrade and benchmarks.  Latitude  E6420  is capable of supporting   SATA 3 speeds.  But, you will  not get the full ben... See more...
No help from this forum. So,  i wanted to post my own answer, found through my upgrade and benchmarks.  Latitude  E6420  is capable of supporting   SATA 3 speeds.  But, you will  not get the full benefit and speed of  SATA - iii  if you run anything less than Windows 7.
Thanks  much  Andy,  i stumbled on this thread before i tried an update from A06  to  current A23.
I have scoured searching the net with various keywords, and found no solid document about this topic.  So, i am here to confirm  if my  laptop  has  SATA 3 capability.   According to the dell online ... See more...
I have scoured searching the net with various keywords, and found no solid document about this topic.  So, i am here to confirm  if my  laptop  has  SATA 3 capability.   According to the dell online Service Manual (E6420 lattitude),   this system  ships with a  Sata 2  SSD (which is what i currently have on my laptop).  I have found one reference  in my search  where  DELL support  has clearly  said  that  this system is capable of  SATA  iii  support.   See the links below  for confirmation: Dell support  forum thread -final post  shows Sata iii  speeds are possible. Elsewhere, i found people  guessing and running  SATA 3  SSD  on E6420.  The service manual itself  does not say anything about the  speed level (SATA 2 or 3).   Is there any way to confirm that  people are getting SATA 3 speeds on this laptop ?  I know  my  new SATA 3 SSD is backwards compatible with  SATA 2.  My new Samsung  EVO 850 SSD  is capable of SATA 3, and i need to optimize it for higher speeds, if   indeed i can confirm  that this  laptop is capable of  reaching  SATA 3.  Currently  this is the  speeds i am seeing on my new SATA 3 SSD,  without even running  AHCI.
Sry  ejn63.   There are plenty of  XP systems reported on the net running  at  SATA 3  speeds.  I can quote you a few links, having done hours of research on this topic, but don't have patience to qu... See more...
Sry  ejn63.   There are plenty of  XP systems reported on the net running  at  SATA 3  speeds.  I can quote you a few links, having done hours of research on this topic, but don't have patience to quote now.  Did you know that many  Corporates  stuck to  Windows XP  even after release of  Win 7 because the at 64 bit level, the performance was the same or better on XP ?  Again, google will reveal this truth.  The question at hand is different, and seems like not much interest on older systems from the support guys here in the forum.
Dell forum has thousands of participants from worldwide, and i have been a long time user here.  But, my experience shows that  if a post is done in the wrong forum  it will go unnoticed  by  support... See more...
Dell forum has thousands of participants from worldwide, and i have been a long time user here.  But, my experience shows that  if a post is done in the wrong forum  it will go unnoticed  by  support  &  rockstar  users here.   It may never get answered.  I posted an interesting question,  but  the  "Number of views"  seems to be  empty  (in the  OS forum).  (I do not know if it is a general problem with Dell forum that it is not giving out  "Number of  views" for each post.)  I feel some rockstar experts  who follow this forum  may not be paying attention to  all of  dell forums.  Anyways...... I  understand  computer sytems,  being a software pro myself.  But, rather than waste a ton of time on researching the internet, i am hoping the  experts  here can guide me.    I do not want to repeat  my OP post here in this forum.  So,  Please  take a look at my post with a click here.
I have spent hours on benchmarking my current system and scoured the net for hours on this topic.  But, before i proceed i would like the opinion  of  people  who have  seen  upgrade  efforts  fail. ... See more...
I have spent hours on benchmarking my current system and scoured the net for hours on this topic.  But, before i proceed i would like the opinion  of  people  who have  seen  upgrade  efforts  fail.   I bought a new Samsung EVO 850  SSD  (SATA iii)   to upgrade my system.  Current Specs are given below: Samsung  PM 810 SSD ( which is the same as their 470 line) - a Sata II  drive Dell   E6420  with  intel i5  running  Windows  xp  and 4 GB  RAM Nvidia  NVS  4200   display adapter BIOS  version  A06   (current BIOS available is  version  A23 !!) I have spent hours on benchmarking this system and found that SSD are not optimized.  Probably because my drivers are not upto date and AHCI is not enabled in BIOS.  But, before i attempt all this, i want to give some data here, hoping for feedback.  I used  Passmark,   CrystalDiskMark  and NovaBench  and all were in consensus that both SSDs were not yielding expected results i saw from several others on the internet.  For a sample, here are the results  of  both SSDs : The  new  Samsung  EVO 850  performance The  original  PM810 that came with the laptop Following are my questions: System was never updated in about 5 years, and dell website  only lists  BIOS  versions starting from  A12.   So, i am not sure if  it would be safe for me to  jump  from  BIOS  A06  to  A23  directly, since i do not have all the details  about  versions until  A12. For various reasons, it is not possible to upgrade the current Windows XP Pro  and it is not possible to  reinstall  and start  from  scratch.   The only option i am thinking about is  to  update everything - in the order prescribed by  DELL here.   I would like to know if i am safe,  by updating the chipset drivers,  followed by Intel storage (RST ?) driver  to deal with the  SSD.  I would like to do all this prior to enabling  AHCI  in BIOS. I have made a disk image of the current SSD (onto the new Samsung  EVO 850).  I need step by step instruction  on  how best to optimize  everything  without  crashing  or burning  this system, which is  critical  to me (for  another 6 months, when i will be able to migrate everything  onto a newer platform). FYI - i am not a newbie, and have built barebone systems from scratch, but that was before 15 years.  The one thing i remember  from those days is that the order of  chipset  driver  installation  could be important. (Separately,  i also need to start another thread to find out  what exactly  are the chipsets  used in  E6420 - if you know a link,  that would save me some time spent on the net to find this info).  Thanks for all replies.
I got emails about this thread, because there is an option when i post a message to say  "email me replies".  I did not  click on  "Add  group to favourites"  (which  according to your answer, would ... See more...
I got emails about this thread, because there is an option when i post a message to say  "email me replies".  I did not  click on  "Add  group to favourites"  (which  according to your answer, would have added this  thread we are talking about  to  my list of  favourites).   "group" is a wrong  choice of word  because  most  forums  use the word  "thread"  or  "Discussion"   as the word of choice now a days. Thanks for your answer.
When i go into any thread, at top right i see  couple of things about which i am not clear.  A link that says  "Add group to favourites" A dropdown menu that says  "Subscribe to group activitie... See more...
When i go into any thread, at top right i see  couple of things about which i am not clear.  A link that says  "Add group to favourites" A dropdown menu that says  "Subscribe to group activities" What is the meaning of these ? A search with these keywords did not give any results !!  Thanks.