aras1's Posts

aras1's Posts

Will this same fix work for me? I am also receiving this same error when I start up Windows 7 (64 bit Ultimate) on my Latitude E5420 "ALPS driver has found IOCTL-error : 320" Started happening la... See more...
Will this same fix work for me? I am also receiving this same error when I start up Windows 7 (64 bit Ultimate) on my Latitude E5420 "ALPS driver has found IOCTL-error : 320" Started happening last week after the Dell autoupdate ran. Thanks
I would describe it more as a vibration. I spent a few minutes (close to an hour) on the phone with a Dell tech tonight. He walked me through re-seating both fans and re-seating the cables for the ... See more...
I would describe it more as a vibration. I spent a few minutes (close to an hour) on the phone with a Dell tech tonight. He walked me through re-seating both fans and re-seating the cables for the HDD and optical drive. However, after a couple of hrs the vibration noise is back. Dell Support is going to call me tomorrow night to follow up but maybe if it is simply vibration there is nothing they can do about it? That would be so sad because I was so enjoying a silent computer for a change. My last computer the fan sounded like a plane in comparison. This Dell XPS 8300 has been so silent up until now. Would be disappointing to lose that.
I think it must be the hardrive. When either fan is unplugged the vibration sound still occurs. I cannot think of anything else it could be - the two fans and the HDD are the only moving parts (when ... See more...
I think it must be the hardrive. When either fan is unplugged the vibration sound still occurs. I cannot think of anything else it could be - the two fans and the HDD are the only moving parts (when the optical drive is not in use). Guess I'll have to call in. What a pain - I am rarely at home when their hours are open.
The diagnostics show the HDD to be perfectly fine. I was able to remove the board fan and dust it off. But the CPU fan was too tight for my tools. I was going to start stripping the heads if I tried ... See more...
The diagnostics show the HDD to be perfectly fine. I was able to remove the board fan and dust it off. But the CPU fan was too tight for my tools. I was going to start stripping the heads if I tried any more force. This was just for the screws connecting the fan to the heat sink. I didn't want to remove the entire heat sink assembly as I don't have any thermal grease and have never had to do that before. So I simply dusted it off in situ. I did find a loose connector clamp that I was able to reseat. But it appears that none of these helped. I can hear the light click occurring again. When I look at the spinning CPU fan it appears to me that the center of the fan is not spinning exactly centered. I wonder if the spinning pin is slightly off?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll run the HDD diagnostics right away. I am pretty sure it is a fan but I'll try and rule out the HDD first. If it is a fan how do I re-seat it? I have never heard of d... See more...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll run the HDD diagnostics right away. I am pretty sure it is a fan but I'll try and rule out the HDD first. If it is a fan how do I re-seat it? I have never heard of doing that before and have no idea how it is done. Thanks for your advice.
I purchased my desktop in the summer and it has been running great since. Up until a couple of wks ago it was running incredibly silent. Now, however, it starts clicking after it has been powered on ... See more...
I purchased my desktop in the summer and it has been running great since. Up until a couple of wks ago it was running incredibly silent. Now, however, it starts clicking after it has been powered on for a couple of hrs. It sounds to me like it might be a fan but I cannot exactly locate the sound even after removing the side panel. Any suggestions? Should I be concerned? At the moment the concern I have is that the clicking sound is driving me a little nuts! Thanks
I received my desktop mid-summer this year and after a couple of weeks chose to disable the ability of my computer to hibernate. However, I find that there are so many times that I walk out of the ho... See more...
I received my desktop mid-summer this year and after a couple of weeks chose to disable the ability of my computer to hibernate. However, I find that there are so many times that I walk out of the house now forgetting to turn off my computer! I want to re-enable hibernation to decrease the wear and tear on my drives and fans. However, when I go into power options and re-enable the options I think I am supposed to re-enable, it still never hibernates dispite not being used for more than a couple of hrs. I fear that I may have disabled it in the BIOS during the summer. But when I go into BIOS now, I cannot find the setting to turn this back on. This is the result of adjusting my computer without writing down exactly what I did. Sigh.... Can anyone help me? Thanks aras
Does anyone know how to do this? I am using the premium edition and the last backup informed me that I have run out of room. So I went in to manage my backups and the choice to consolidated my full s... See more...
Does anyone know how to do this? I am using the premium edition and the last backup informed me that I have run out of room. So I went in to manage my backups and the choice to consolidated my full system backups is not active; I can only chose either Archive Full System Backups to DVD/Blu-ray Delete all Full System Backups Is the consolidate option not available because that is what it is already set to and my backups really are that large (don't they get zipped or something?)? Thanks for any advice.
Oh I gave up after a couple of weeks, returned it for a full refund and instead purchased a Dell Latitude e5420. Worked like a charm right out of the box with no issues whatsoever. Not as pretty as t... See more...
Oh I gave up after a couple of weeks, returned it for a full refund and instead purchased a Dell Latitude e5420. Worked like a charm right out of the box with no issues whatsoever. Not as pretty as the XPS 15z but it works like it should. Great machine. I certainly hope the xps 15z is eventually fixed because it is a gorgeous laptop. I just couldn't wait any longer for the issue to be resolved. Looks like I made the right decision if people are still dealing with this a month later.
I figured it out. I needed to go into the system setup by pushing F2 before the Windows 7 logo appears. In system setup there is a setting that allowed me to adjust the number lock to whether or not ... See more...
I figured it out. I needed to go into the system setup by pushing F2 before the Windows 7 logo appears. In system setup there is a setting that allowed me to adjust the number lock to whether or not the Function key needed to be pressed at the same time as the embedded numbers. Problem solved.
Just received my new Dell Latitude 5420 laptop today. Easiest laptop I have had to setup yet. Very nice. However, I seem to be having problems with the number lock. Pressing the function and F2 key... See more...
Just received my new Dell Latitude 5420 laptop today. Easiest laptop I have had to setup yet. Very nice. However, I seem to be having problems with the number lock. Pressing the function and F2 keys does toggle the number lock on and off according to the little popup in the bottom right hand corner. But, the keys will only type numbers while the function key is pressed. How do I get the number lock to work so when on, numbers are produced rather than letters without having to simultaneously press the function key? Thanks very much. aras
I just purchased Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Home to store my backups over my home network. However, I cannot seem to change the location where Dell DataSafe Local Backup stores the backups. It only g... See more...
I just purchased Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Home to store my backups over my home network. However, I cannot seem to change the location where Dell DataSafe Local Backup stores the backups. It only gives me the option to place a backup on my C drive - which seems kind of silly to me. Isn't the point of backing up your computer so that your files are someplace else in case the computer or harddrive dies? Can anyone tell me how to change the location of where Dell DataSafe Local Backup saves the backups? Dell DataSafe Local Backup wants me to backup in some location other than my C drive when I try to backup. See the following two images: Because when I click next I get this popup: Problem is that I have already connected an external drive via my router. But Dell Data Safe doesn't seem to find it. I can find it fine via Windows Explorer.
I was able to return mine without a restocking fee. You need to return it within 30 days of the invoice date and ensure that you are able to provide a reasonable explanation for the return. In this c... See more...
I was able to return mine without a restocking fee. You need to return it within 30 days of the invoice date and ensure that you are able to provide a reasonable explanation for the return. In this case you have an excellent reason - the laptop does not perform as expected due to the cursor jumping or the trackpad misbehaving or whatever your reason for the laptop underperforming relative to the price you paid. They will likely ask if you have tried to resolve the issue with technical support. It is fine to say no thank you - I am beyond that point. In the past and with this particular  issue I have found Dell support to be very courteous and have met my needs on more than one occasion. Just be clear in your own mind before you call what you need to happen. Good luck.
I have posted the same issue here: en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx I am returning this laptop.
I agree. For the price and power of the XPS 15z, we should not need to disable a useful feature. I posted my problem here: en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx but wonder if it is related to t... See more...
I agree. For the price and power of the XPS 15z, we should not need to disable a useful feature. I posted my problem here: en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx but wonder if it is related to the touchpad as is being discussed in this thread. As I have written elsewhere however, if I simply stop typing when I lose my cursor, the window I am typing in spontaneously reactivates without me touching the trackpad. I wouldn't expect that to happen if it was simply a result of me unintentionally brushing the trackpad.
I wonder if my problem posted here: en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx is related? I don't think so because I have tried simply stopping typing and eventually the window I was typing in beco... See more...
I wonder if my problem posted here: en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx is related? I don't think so because I have tried simply stopping typing and eventually the window I was typing in becomes active again. I wouldn't expect that to happen with using the trackpad to reactivate the window. Regardless, like others I simply cannot wait for a possible fix. I need to use this for work and currently the spontaneously deactivating window is making my typing too inefficient at work. I am initiating a return as soon as the customer service is back up online in a couple of hrs. I have been putting up with this for 3 wks hoping for a fix. I cannot wait any longer.
No responses. How sad. I am phoning customer support today to have this unit returned. Very disappointing but I cannot continue to operate with my windows spontaneously deactivating. But there are ... See more...
No responses. How sad. I am phoning customer support today to have this unit returned. Very disappointing but I cannot continue to operate with my windows spontaneously deactivating. But there are other issues with the XPS 15z: 1. poor speakers 2. numbers on function keys too small to read 3. periodically the fan will be quite loud for no reason at all (i.e. just browsing the web - no gaming at all) 4. the metal edge is uncomfortable for resting my hands (this one is just due to lazy typing on my part) I have been reluctant to initiate a return because the laptop is gorgeous. I like the aluminum finish on the outside and the grey metal finish on the inside. Also for a powerful laptop (dual core i7 with 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, CD/DVD drive, NVidia GeForce GT 525 M with 2 GB memory) it is both thin and not too heavy (~5.6 lbs). Add to that the nice wide HD screen and it really is a beautiful laptop. But the spontaneous loss of the window in which I am working was a deal breaker - I just cannot work with that possibly happening at any random time. I hope Dell is able to find me a comparable model rather than simply a refund.
I am noticing the exact same issue. It is as if win7 is spontaneously switching windows on me while I type. I know it is not a win7 issue because this never happens with my xps 8300 desktop.   An... See more...
I am noticing the exact same issue. It is as if win7 is spontaneously switching windows on me while I type. I know it is not a win7 issue because this never happens with my xps 8300 desktop.   Any one know what the cause is an how to fix it? Like JEZG it is driving me nuts! Otherwise I quite like this new laptop.
I seem to have fixed my problem and I have no idea how what I did would be able to fix this. At any rate I seem to be getting crystal clear sound from both my headphones and laptops speakers (though ... See more...
I seem to have fixed my problem and I have no idea how what I did would be able to fix this. At any rate I seem to be getting crystal clear sound from both my headphones and laptops speakers (though still tinny - headphones are fine). So what did I do? At the suggestion of one of the previous posts are started trying to find out how to make the HD Realtek speakers the default. I had just assumed they would be and I really have no idea how to set that. But what I did was to right click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner and choose Volume Control Options. Then I checked off each of the three available boxes (All devices currently playing sound; The default communication device; Speakers). Then I clicked on the arrowhead in the bottom right hand corner to show hidden icons and double clicked on the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon and changing the MaxxAudio setting to gaming (I just prefer that setting over the others for sound quality in general). However, I don't know if that really did anything because when I restarted the laptop, the setting had reverted from gaming back to music. However, I notice under the Advanced tab of the Realtek HD Audio Manager that there is a power management setting which turns off system audio devices when there are no sound events. Is it worth trying to turn this feature off? For what it is worth from someone who really has no idea what they are doing. All I know is that it seems my problem is gone and I now have great sound again [well... at least over headphones... wish Dell had used that prime real estate on the keyboard for a numeric pad rather than these very tinny sounding speakers. But that is another issue   🙂  ]
I have had my xps 15z for about a week now and today I just started having this same problem: music, voice, audio starts our fine but then fades to silence while sporadic static is heard. This happen... See more...
I have had my xps 15z for about a week now and today I just started having this same problem: music, voice, audio starts our fine but then fades to silence while sporadic static is heard. This happens when using both the laptops speakers and with headphones. The speakers were working just fine yesterday.