aras1's Posts

aras1's Posts

a49erfan, How comfortable are you about opening the case? * Power the PC off * Disconnect the power cord from the PC * Open the side cover and disconnect/reconnect all cables, cords, c... See more...
a49erfan, How comfortable are you about opening the case? * Power the PC off * Disconnect the power cord from the PC * Open the side cover and disconnect/reconnect all cables, cords, cards, memory, just to make sure nothing came loose during shipping * Replace the side cover * Connect only the mouse, keyboard, speakers, and monitor to the PC * Those USB devices should be plugged into the PC rear USB ports * The PC power cord should be plugged directly into the wall socket (for now) and connect the other end into the PC * Power the monitor on * Power the PC on * Test the PC Hi Chris, Ok, today after returning from work I unplugged the desktop, opened the side case, and poked around ensuring that all the connections I could see were well seated. I didn't feel comfortable actually unplugging anything but did apply pressure to each plug that I could see. Some seemed to seat a little bit more snug. Some memory modules did make a slight click. So we will see if that does the trick. What a kick if this works and that is all that it takes....
My issue still has not been resolved. I am waiting to hear back from a Dell technician. I have noticed other odd things however and just don't know what to make of them as I am new to Windows 7. ... See more...
My issue still has not been resolved. I am waiting to hear back from a Dell technician. I have noticed other odd things however and just don't know what to make of them as I am new to Windows 7. 1. this morning my iTunes locked up after I had minimized it using cntrl+m 2. ctrl+alt+del didn't seem to be working so I assumed that it was not a feature of win7. Lo and behold yesterday I was able to invoke Windows Task Manager using ctrl+al+del. Not sure why it wasn't working before. I thought there were other anomalies but that is what come to mind at the moment. The initial lack of ctrl+alt+del was very strange. Just so you know, what I have done as of last night after the latest lock up was to go into device manager and ensure that the USB mouse and keyboard were not able to be powered down (they were already disabled from doing that) and then to go into the USB list and ensure that every possible USB entry there was disabled from being powered down by Win7. I am at work for the rest of the day so won't be able to see if that makes a difference until later tonight when I reboot the machine. Two things that I have not yet tried: 1. opening up the box and ensure that everything is properly seated 2. uninstall the Dell graphics driver for the ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card that Dell sent with the machine and replace it with a fresh graphic driver install from the most recent version available on the ATI website. Unfortunately, I work and have a family and so it is difficult to find the time to fit these things in.
I should add 3rd time today. I have lost count the number of times it has locked up since I opened the box last week.
Ok. so this is becoming increasingly annoying. That is now the 3rd time this new system has locked up on me, this time right in the middle of doing a software update of my iPod Touch. So switching ... See more...
Ok. so this is becoming increasingly annoying. That is now the 3rd time this new system has locked up on me, this time right in the middle of doing a software update of my iPod Touch. So switching where I plug in my USB keyboard and mouse does not make a difference. Any other suggestions out there or is it time to phone support and ask for a refund?
Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I am able to run PowerCfg but for whatever reason the file will not open for me once generated. I can see the energy-report.html file in my C:\\ Windows\System32\ folde... See more...
Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I am able to run PowerCfg but for whatever reason the file will not open for me once generated. I can see the energy-report.html file in my C:\\ Windows\System32\ folder but none of my browsers will open it (ie, firefox, chrome).   Sad news today is that I left the computer running this afternoon using Windows Easy Transfer to move my files over from my old win xp machine but when I returned tonight after supper the XPS 8300 had once again frozen. It was a blank screen as if it was asleep but I could not awaken it by moving the mouse or using the keyboard. I was able to awaken it using the power button on the tower but then of course I could not type in my password as the keyboard was non-responsive.   Good news is that it appears it did not freeze before all of the files transferred (Windows Easy Transfer is an amazing thing BTW).   So it would appear that when the machine sleeps the power to the mouse and keyboard are shut off.   I am now going to try plugging them into different USB ports to see if that makes a difference.   Fingers crossed.
Hi Ron,   I found the USB power management option. It is just as you described - I just had to hunt a little to find it in Win 7. What is listed in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Contr... See more...
Hi Ron,   I found the USB power management option. It is just as you described - I just had to hunt a little to find it in Win 7. What is listed in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is: Generic USB Hub Generic USB Hub Generic USB Hub Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26 Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D USB Mass Storage Device USB Root Hub USB Root Hub I disabled "Allow PC to turn off this device..." option for the last two listed (USB Root Hub). However, when I click on Keyboards and also Mice and other pointing devices under Device Manager I notice that this option to turn off the device is not enabled under Power Management whether or not I have disabled it for the two USB Root Hubs. The good news is that my computer has now been running without locking up for two hours after changing the Power Options so that the computer never sleeps. If this works, the next step will to figure out how re-enable the ability of the computer to sleep without it spontaneously locking up again.
ROHE This is an interesting possibility that I never considered. I cannot find the USB Management tab in Device Manager for my OS (win 7 home premium). What I have found is:   Control Panel \ H... See more...
ROHE This is an interesting possibility that I never considered. I cannot find the USB Management tab in Device Manager for my OS (win 7 home premium). What I have found is:   Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options \ Edit Plan Settings and then clicking on Change advanced power settings I get a popup window that lists a number of possibilities Dell Hard disk Desktop background settings Wireless Adapter Settings Sleep  USB Settings Under USB Settings there is USB selective suspend setting and that setting is enabled. Should that be disabled? 
HI Tom, Thanks very much for the suggestions. My XPS 8300 shipped with the most recent BIOS version (A03 - or at least that is what is listed when I run CPUID)  so I don't think that is a problem. ... See more...
HI Tom, Thanks very much for the suggestions. My XPS 8300 shipped with the most recent BIOS version (A03 - or at least that is what is listed when I run CPUID)  so I don't think that is a problem. I went into Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options and changed the preferred plan labelled Dell so that the button beside Put the computer to sleep: now lists Never. Has been running for a few minutes now without a lockup. Let's hope that does the trick. Kind of a drag in terms of power consumption, however, if the computer cannot put itself to sleep after a couple of hours. Incidentally, the default in the Dell power plan was to put it to sleep after 2 hours. Don't you think it strange that this setting would cause it to lockup after being on for only a few minutes?
Just returned from my long weekend away and switched on my new Dell now 8 days old. It locked up again within minutes, rebooted was fine for a couple of minutes and then locked up again while I was p... See more...
Just returned from my long weekend away and switched on my new Dell now 8 days old. It locked up again within minutes, rebooted was fine for a couple of minutes and then locked up again while I was playing minesweeper (yes I still play that once in awhile   🙂 ). It hasn't yet spontaneously rebooted being locked in the game in full screen mode. I'll let it be tonight and then phone Dell tomorrow morning and let them try and deal with it remotely. Or is it better to try your suggestions above first before I phone Dell? If I do that where do I find the chipset drivers, sata drivers and Dell video card drivers? On other threads others were suggesting to completely and entirely remove the Dell video drivers for the ATI video card and install the newest ATI drivers from the AMD website. I have those and know how to uninstall and reinstall the Catalyst Control Centre. But I haven't ever had to reinstall chipset or sata drivers. What think you? Thanks in advance for your advice.
And here is another Dell system that is locking up: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19256928/19866132.aspx#19866132 Anyone out there have any idea what is going on?
I am having a similar problem with my less than a week old XPS 8300 and have had some conversation about it here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19374123/19865374.aspx... See more...
I am having a similar problem with my less than a week old XPS 8300 and have had some conversation about it here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19374123/19865374.aspx#19865374 I also here the Aurora's are having similar issues: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19375646/19862917.aspx?PageIndex=1 And the Optiplex also: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19366377/19827988.aspx#19827988 What is going on with the Dell desktops?!?  
Dell Optiplex 780s seem to be having a similar problem: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19366377/19827988.aspx#19827988 And seem to have two solutions in this series ... See more...
Dell Optiplex 780s seem to be having a similar problem: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19366377/19827988.aspx#19827988 And seem to have two solutions in this series of postings: 1. remove all traces of ATI drivers and then install most recent driver from ATI website 2. Install the latest "Intel Storage Manager" found on the dell page for this model.  This updated the sata drivers also. Suggest you note the driver version and date for the Sata device before and after the storage manager install. I am away from my computer at the moment and would be very interested if anyone else has tried these solutions for the issue in the XPS 8300. I'll be trying these when I get back to my computer on Wed.  
This is the URL for discussion on the Aurora R3 freezing issue: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19375646/19862917.aspx?PageIndex=1 Sounds just like our issue.
I just glanced at the Aurora R3 freezing posts and the problem looks very similar to our XPS 8300 freezing issues. Over at the other posting they are suggesting removing the Dell version of the Catal... See more...
I just glanced at the Aurora R3 freezing posts and the problem looks very similar to our XPS 8300 freezing issues. Over at the other posting they are suggesting removing the Dell version of the Catalyst driver software and installing the drivers available directly from the AMD website.
This is what I copied from the invoice emailed to me in which you can see that the video card I have is an ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5: Item #            Item description 225-0146     XPS8300... See more...
This is what I copied from the invoice emailed to me in which you can see that the video card I have is an ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5: Item #            Item description 225-0146     XPS8300 313-3607     NO DIAL UP MODEM REQUESTED,DT 313-6138     NO SPEAKER REQUESTED,DIMENSION 317-5785     6GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz,X 317-6080     XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) 318-0282     16x DVDRW Drive 318-0455     Windows Live Wave 4, CDT 320-1786     ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 320-7810     NO MONITOR 330-1158     DELL USB 6-BUTTON LASER MOUSE,I/S/XDT 330-3620     DELL USB ENTRY KEYBOARD,KL,ENG,I/S/X DT 330-6097     WIN 7 LABEL,CDT 331-1418     DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,XPS8300 342-2007     1TB SERIAL ATA 2, 7200 RPM 410-1867     ADOBE READER 9.0,MLANG,I/S/X DT 410-9449     McAfee Platinum, 15 Month, MUI, CDT 420-6436     PC-RESTORE, DIM/INSP 420-6576     DELL WELCOME,SW,DIM/INSP 420-9691     DATASAFE LOCAL BACKUP 420-9841     COZI-CALENDAR,DT 421-0756     SKYPE VOIP SOFTWARE APPLICATION,I/S/X DT 421-3645     Basic Stage, CDT 421-4337     WIN 7 HOME PREM, 64, ENG 421-4542     ROXIO CREATOR STRT,NO MEDIA,CDT 421-4652     Dell Support Center 3, CDT 421-9898     THX TruStudio PC 430-3775     INTEGRATED 10/1000 ETHERNET 465-8687     PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH MORE DETAILS 410-0450     MICROSOFT OFFICE STARTER 2010,CDT 920-5050     XPS WARRANTY SPRT, DIMENSION, INITIAL YR 938-3130     HW WRTY+SVC,XPS 8300,UNY,INIT,REL 938-3150     NBD OS,XPS 8300,UNY,INIT YR,REL Do you think there is a conflict between the integrated graphics and the AMD graphics card?  
Anyone else having this issue?  
I am having the exact same problem with the same machine XPS 8300 with core i7. Just received the pc on Tuesday this week direct from Dell and have been having freeze up problems from the first coupl... See more...
I am having the exact same problem with the same machine XPS 8300 with core i7. Just received the pc on Tuesday this week direct from Dell and have been having freeze up problems from the first couple of hours it came out of the box.