im.mick's Posts

im.mick's Posts

Thanks everyone. New card ordered. RAM being left alone. Cheers!!!
Hello all,   Not sure if this is the right area to be posting - first time really.   About 3 years ago I bought an Alienware Aurora ALX. It has a 850 watt power supply unit. It ... See more...
Hello all,   Not sure if this is the right area to be posting - first time really.   About 3 years ago I bought an Alienware Aurora ALX. It has a 850 watt power supply unit. It currently has a 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card, which I feel is probably now quite dated as my computer is starting to struggle with newer games.   I want to upgrade to the best card I can get to fit both within the case and within the PSU's capability - not sure if you can upgrade to a 1000w psu with the Alienware setups??   Also considering upgrading the RAM -I have 6 x 2gb DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory.   Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance!    
Hey,   I had exactly the same problem after a reinstall.   I searched forums for hours. No idea if you figured it out or not.   Basically it was the graphics card drivers. Even though I h... See more...
Hey,   I had exactly the same problem after a reinstall.   I searched forums for hours. No idea if you figured it out or not.   Basically it was the graphics card drivers. Even though I had uninstalled/reinstalled them dozens of times, I hadn't done it in safe mode.   If you still have the problem, use msconfig to start up in safe mode. Uninstall the video card/s. reset. Use dcpro or similar and delete any ATI files remaining. restart. install the latest driver ONLY. Don't install the control station, or any of the other files. Two I think were already ticked and mandatory, but the audio and the video options and the communications option - dont tick them. Just the driver.   After I did this, it worked perfectly. Hope this helps. Or at least helps others who go searching.   mick