greywolf79's Posts

greywolf79's Posts

Thank you for your response. I totally forgot about the built in i/o shield... I will just salvage what I can and build a new box. I was hoping to save the case for the extra $30 savings. I have it r... See more...
Thank you for your response. I totally forgot about the built in i/o shield... I will just salvage what I can and build a new box. I was hoping to save the case for the extra $30 savings. I have it running a E7500 with 5 gb RAM - so it is already fairly close to max (not the quad capable motherboard). And with the age of the parts, I would rather just buy a new board and cpu than use the old one. Thanks, I will consider this thread closed.
I am thinking I will end up replacing the CPU, Motherboard and RAM. However I was hoping for some input on what best replacements for keeping the same power supply for the short term. I just want to ... See more...
I am thinking I will end up replacing the CPU, Motherboard and RAM. However I was hoping for some input on what best replacements for keeping the same power supply for the short term. I just want to upgrade it for the kids, so top of the line is not required but if the price is right it would be better. I think my biggest concern is the front USB/sound/etc ports. Currently I believe it is running a 305w power supply and a PCI-e x16 video card. Are the connectors for these Dell propritary or will they work with a new motherboard?  Does anyone know the max size board the case will hold and what type (ATX/mini-ATX/BTX/etc) the motherboard is? I thought it was an ATX but I figured I would double check while getting the max size able to fit...
I was able to use a hard drive from another machine with windows installed on it and get the update done. Thank you all.
Thank you for the last link there Osprey. It shows these CPUs... 1W391 Northwood 80532, 2.26, 512K cache, 533FSB 1W392 Northwood 80532, 2.40, 512K cache, 533FSB 1W393 Northwood 80532, 2... See more...
Thank you for the last link there Osprey. It shows these CPUs... 1W391 Northwood 80532, 2.26, 512K cache, 533FSB 1W392 Northwood 80532, 2.40, 512K cache, 533FSB 1W393 Northwood 80532, 2.53, 512K cache, 533FSB 4U107 Northwood 80532, 2.66, 512K cache, 533FSB 2U374 Northwood 80532, 2.80, 512K cache, 533FSB H3896 Northwood 80532, 3.06, 512K cache, 533FSB F0068 Northwood 80532, 2.40, 512K cache, 800FSB 9Y856 Northwood 80532, 2.60, 512K cache, 800FSB C0724 Northwood 80532, 2.80, 512K cache, 800FSB H5656 Prescott Processor, 2.8G, 1Mb cache, 533FSB R7147 Prescott Processor, 2.8G, 1Mb cache, 800FSB H5657 Prescott Processor, 2.8G, 1Mb cache, 800FSB H5658 Prescott Processor, 3.0G, 1Mb cache, 800FSB H5659 Prescott Processor, 3.2G, 1Mb cache, 800FSB H5660 Prescott Processor, 3.4G, 1Mb cache, 800FSB C4905 Extreme Northwood Processor, 3.20, 2Mb cache, 800FSB U5005 Extreme Northwood Processor, 3.40, 2Mb cache, 800FSB   Anyone know the model id for any of those? I tried a google search and come up with only generic information and I would like to get as much info as possible so as not to waste money. I want to know the socket it uses (seems to be an i875 chipset - which is a socket 478). I know the newer CPUs have model numbers, none of these seem to and I do not want to get the wrong one.
Is there a list of possible CPU upgrades to this system? I will have a P4 550/550j soon due to another upgrade and figure I can use that in this machine if it will accept it.
I appreciate that link. That is one that does give some images and small details - but I was looking for more like this... http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/optix/optiplex_760_spec_she... See more...
I appreciate that link. That is one that does give some images and small details - but I was looking for more like this... http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/optix/optiplex_760_spec_sheet_en.pdf This gives me details on which CPUs work (roughly), which types of drives, speeds of RAM, and which PSUs come with the designs... I was hoping for this type of detail on the Precision 360 (but I did not find this kind of detail on the Dimension 8400 either). I want to swap out the motherboard and CPU of the Precision 360 with a Abit IB9 motherboard and Intel dual core e2180 (and later a core2duo e6600) that I already have but have no case for. I currently own from Dell - 1 x Inspiron 530 MT (Tower, not SFF/USFF), 1 x Optiplex 760 DT (Desktop, not tower or SFF/USFF), 1 x Dimension 8400 MT, and 1 x Precision MT. All of these were purchased second hand or given to me for the kids from friends. I have the Optiplex and Inspiron up and running and at least somewhat upgraded. I am not looking for the best computers, just the best performance from the existing computers - and maybe to modify some of them to be a little better (like changing out the motherboard in the oldest/weakest system).
@osprey - I understand that advice. This motherboard is a little older. It has 2 ide connections on it as well as 4 sata ports so it can use the old hard drive and optical drive. It also did not appe... See more...
@osprey - I understand that advice. This motherboard is a little older. It has 2 ide connections on it as well as 4 sata ports so it can use the old hard drive and optical drive. It also did not appear to require the extra power connection my newer board did. I am more concerned with it not having the correct mounting spots or the cpu fan cover thing not sitting over the new cpu location. Do you happen to have a link for a specs sgsheet that will show me the specs on the existing hardware?
I am wanting more information on compatible CPUs, video cards, etc. I was not able to actually find any really useful information in the manual I downloaded. I did not see anything that stated what k... See more...
I am wanting more information on compatible CPUs, video cards, etc. I was not able to actually find any really useful information in the manual I downloaded. I did not see anything that stated what kind of memory (DDR pc2100 from the looks of it), what connectors for Hard Drives, what CPUs it will work with, what video cards have been tested to work (and which ones users have gotten to work), etc. But I would also like to know if it is possible to place a regular non-Dell ATX/mini-ATX motherboard in the system? I have a core2duo motherboard, CPU and RAM that I wanted to see about putting in it instead of the stock set up in order to get a better computer going. I know the PSU will need to be upgraded soon but I am planning on it being a fairly basic system for the kids to do school work and internet based browser kids games.
I did try to use the windows installer with wine. It gave an error about not being able to run it. I did not write it down but I will try to get it later.
I am trying to find a way to run the bios updater without going through a whole creating a boot cd/floppy and loading into dos then updating. I figure there has to be a linux only way of updating it.... See more...
I am trying to find a way to run the bios updater without going through a whole creating a boot cd/floppy and loading into dos then updating. I figure there has to be a linux only way of updating it. There used to be repositories for it with dell - but they all seem out of date and no longer existing.  Anyone have a solution not involving a boot cd/floppy or installing windows?
I went with the Pentium 640. Paid $2.69 on eBay. I will be getting it next week most likely. As for Windows I already have extra Windows 7 64 bit licenses.
Do you know if the Pentium 4 model 519K is a HT capable CPU? The intel link did not show 2 threads... I would like to get that if possible.
I have a Socket 1155 Intel Pentium G2010 system with 8gb RAM for myself right now, this computer is for my 5 year old son. I really would rather pay $10-20 for a new (used) cpu than $100 for another ... See more...
I have a Socket 1155 Intel Pentium G2010 system with 8gb RAM for myself right now, this computer is for my 5 year old son. I really would rather pay $10-20 for a new (used) cpu than $100 for another computer... It is just running linux right now with kids games - but I might throw Win 7 on it if I can get a x64 CPU.
Are there multiple motherboards to this model? I was looking at the link - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19441218.aspx and they mention a specific motherboard. Are some... See more...
Are there multiple motherboards to this model? I was looking at the link - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19441218.aspx and they mention a specific motherboard. Are some models not able to use those CPUs? I want to get a x64 capable cpu for my 8400 dimension but do not want to waste money if it will not work... It is the Media Center XP version of the tower if that makes a difference. I am not at the computer right now, so I do not have exact information but I can get that later today if it is needed - I can also look at the motherboard if needed later on. I read it is a LGA775 socket, no chance of a dual core cpu (like the e2180 - not necessarily a core2duo but a regular dual core even)?
What 64 bit CPU is compatible with the Dimension 8400?
My main concern now is getting kids games to run on it... That is a series of questions for another forums I think though. I may try a few other distros when I have the time too, just to explore... See more...
My main concern now is getting kids games to run on it... That is a series of questions for another forums I think though. I may try a few other distros when I have the time too, just to explore and have fun.
I was not 100% certain it would run, and so I downloaded 12.1 to test if it would install. It seems to run well, so I will see about upgrading later. The key is that it works,
For now I will consider this issue partially resolved... I installed DouDou linux on it for the kids (and the youngest liked it, the older ones thought it too childish), so I reformatted it with SuSE... See more...
For now I will consider this issue partially resolved... I installed DouDou linux on it for the kids (and the youngest liked it, the older ones thought it too childish), so I reformatted it with SuSE 12.1. It is running fairly smooth with that - at least as smooth as an older computer can anyway.
I have an old Dell Dimension 8400 that was given to my kids with no hard drive. I have since installed a hard drive and would like to know which OS is the best and most compatible. It does have a TV ... See more...
I have an old Dell Dimension 8400 that was given to my kids with no hard drive. I have since installed a hard drive and would like to know which OS is the best and most compatible. It does have a TV tuner card, but I am not sure the model as I have no documentation to go with the computer. I assume it is all stock basic parts. It is only 32 bits on the CPU as I did try to install Ubuntu 13.10 x64 and it says it is not capable of running 64 bit OS on the CPU. Edit - I was able to get the live version of Ubuntu 8.04 to run on it. But I would like a newer version... Any input as far as OSes known to work with this model would be awesome.
I was given an old Precision 360 MT by a friend. So I am going to give it to one of my kids. I want to make sure that the CPU thermal paste is fresh and not as old as the computer, but I cannot take ... See more...
I was given an old Precision 360 MT by a friend. So I am going to give it to one of my kids. I want to make sure that the CPU thermal paste is fresh and not as old as the computer, but I cannot take of the heatsink. Does anyone either know the trick or have a link I can find it out on? I have tried the clips, but I am afraid if I push any harder I will break them. Thanks in advance.