Tom S11's Posts

Tom S11's Posts

Hey guys.  I dunno if anyone else here uses it, but when I'm re-imaging Dell Latitude laptops, I follow your Dell Business Client Re-Image "How-To" Guide religiously.  It has helped me set up systems... See more...
Hey guys.  I dunno if anyone else here uses it, but when I'm re-imaging Dell Latitude laptops, I follow your Dell Business Client Re-Image "How-To" Guide religiously.  It has helped me set up systems that, using my own experience and intuition, would have strange bugs and things like that happening - so thank you for that. Nonetheless, I couldn't help but notice some strange errors, at least in the section of the guide that I use frequently.  On page 9: The bullet point right after "Audio - Enables and enhances the audio controller" contains no information, and... The bullet point (and sub-bullet points) right after "Intel Storage controller" contain no information.  That's weird.  You guys should fix that, it's unprofessional. I'll post more as I find them.  Thanks for the guide!  You guys rock.
Found a compatible driver on this page that installs and functions just fine.
Hey all.  I've got a Dell Latitude E6320 where the driver installer for the Dell Wireless 1530 wireless card fails.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, the computer boots in UEFI mode, and I've instal... See more...
Hey all.  I've got a Dell Latitude E6320 where the driver installer for the Dell Wireless 1530 wireless card fails.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, the computer boots in UEFI mode, and I've installed all of the drivers according to the Latitude E-Family Re-Image Guide . I've got a log, as well, it says this: [09/13/16 16:24:47]    Dell Update Package Execution Start [09/13/16 16:24:47]    Original command line: E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111.EXE  /s [09/13/16 16:24:47]    DUPFramework version: 3.0.80.1 [09/13/16 16:24:47]    User Command: unattended [09/13/16 16:24:47]    DUP Capabilities Value: 6291455 (0x5FFFFF) [09/13/16 16:24:47]    DUP Vendor Software Version: A01 [09/13/16 16:24:47]    Local System/Model Compatible with this Package? Yes [09/13/16 16:24:47]    Local System OS Version: 6.1.1.0 [09/13/16 16:24:47]    OS Compatible with this Package? Yes [09/13/16 16:24:47]    Local System OS Language: EN [09/13/16 16:24:47]    Language Compatible with this Package? Yes [09/13/16 16:24:48]    Identified Behavior : unattended [09/13/16 16:24:48]    Temporary payload log file name: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111\DUP9B64.tmp [09/13/16 16:24:48]    Translated Command Line : setup.exe /s /v" LOGFILE="C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111\DUP9B64.tmp"" [09/13/16 16:24:48]    Path : C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111 [09/13/16 16:24:48]    Identified Behavior : unattended [09/13/16 16:24:49]     Append File : C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111.txt [09/13/16 16:24:49]     --- Start of Payload log --- [09/13/16 16:24:49]     --- End of Payload log --- [09/13/16 16:24:49]    Vendor Software Return Code: 117 [09/13/16 16:24:49]    Name of Exit Code: ERROR [09/13/16 16:24:49]    Exit Code set to: 1 (0x1) [09/13/16 16:24:49]    Result: FAILURE [09/13/16 16:24:49]    Name of Exit Code: ERROR [09/13/16 16:24:49]    Execution terminated at date-time 09/13/16 16:24:49 [09/13/16 16:24:49]    ###### ਍਍[09/13/16 16:34:45]    Dell Update Package Execution Start [09/13/16 16:34:45]    Original command line: "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Drivers - Dell Latitude E6320\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111.EXE" [09/13/16 16:34:45]    DUPFramework version: 3.0.80.1 [09/13/16 16:34:46]    User Command: attended [09/13/16 16:34:46]    DUP Capabilities Value: 6291455 (0x5FFFFF) [09/13/16 16:34:46]    DUP Vendor Software Version: A01 [09/13/16 16:34:46]    Local System/Model Compatible with this Package? Yes [09/13/16 16:34:46]    Local System OS Version: 6.1.1.0 [09/13/16 16:34:46]    OS Compatible with this Package? Yes [09/13/16 16:34:46]    Local System OS Language: EN [09/13/16 16:34:46]    Language Compatible with this Package? Yes [09/13/16 16:34:47]    Identified Behavior : attended [09/13/16 16:34:47]    Temporary payload log file name: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111\DUPB125.tmp [09/13/16 16:34:47]    Translated Command Line : setup.exe /v" LOGFILE="C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111\DUPB125.tmp"" [09/13/16 16:34:47]    Path : C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111 [09/13/16 16:34:47]    Identified Behavior : attended [09/13/16 16:34:54]     Append File : C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111.txt [09/13/16 16:34:54]     --- Start of Payload log --- [09/13/16 16:34:54]     --- End of Payload log --- [09/13/16 16:34:54]    Vendor Software Return Code: 117 [09/13/16 16:34:54]    Name of Exit Code: ERROR [09/13/16 16:34:54]    Exit Code set to: 1 (0x1) [09/13/16 16:34:54]    Result: FAILURE [09/13/16 16:34:56]    Open file: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111.txt [09/13/16 16:35:24]    Open file: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\E6320-NIC_DRVR_WIN_A01_R294111.txt
So, I've been trying to get all of the machines in our organization up-to-speed on the latest standards.  I figured that, as long as anyone is getting any NEW machine imaged and set up for them, that... See more...
So, I've been trying to get all of the machines in our organization up-to-speed on the latest standards.  I figured that, as long as anyone is getting any NEW machine imaged and set up for them, that machine might as well be set up in UEFI mode, with GPT partitioning, as those are the latest standards for PCs. We have a lot of Dell machines, and I have had no problem getting tons of them booting to my Windows 7 Professional installation USB drives, in UEFI mode, and installing a build of Windows in UEFI mode, using GPT partitioning for the drive.  E6320s, E6430s, E6440s, all work fine. The Latitude E7250 doesn't even detect the USB drive that I plug into it, that has worked flawlessly for so many other machines.  I have the latest BIOS (A13).  Secure Boot is disabled.  I have tried plugging in the USB drive in a USB 2.0 port on the E-Port Plus docking station.  I have disabled USB 3.0.  The machine does not detect USB devices in UEFI mode. This is a laptop that costs north of $1,000, Dell.  For real?
I would think Dell would be a bit more concerned about the fact that one of its top of the line laptops just loses it's ability to display anything, but hey, what do I know?  Clearly there are more i... See more...
I would think Dell would be a bit more concerned about the fact that one of its top of the line laptops just loses it's ability to display anything, but hey, what do I know?  Clearly there are more important things on the line!
Hey all. We've got a Dell Precision M4800, recently with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, and the laptop's built-in LCD display panel just... doesn't display anything anymore.  It's being used ... See more...
Hey all. We've got a Dell Precision M4800, recently with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, and the laptop's built-in LCD display panel just... doesn't display anything anymore.  It's being used by another user, so I don't have specifics except that it worked just fine the other day when I performed some software updates for this user, and now the panel doesn't display anything at all - even when removed from the dock (which is a Dell E-Port Plus). Why, Dell?  Why?
This problem has been fixed since the A12 BIOS update. Thanks for your commitment, Dell.  The E7440s have been otherwise great.  A little big, but that's our fault.  Our next main line from you is ... See more...
This problem has been fixed since the A12 BIOS update. Thanks for your commitment, Dell.  The E7440s have been otherwise great.  A little big, but that's our fault.  Our next main line from you is to be E7250s.  >:)
Hey guys. Pretty much what the title says - Dell's new, recently-released ControlVault driver (version A19) does not successfully install on a Dell Latitude E6330.  I followed the driver installati... See more...
Hey guys. Pretty much what the title says - Dell's new, recently-released ControlVault driver (version A19) does not successfully install on a Dell Latitude E6330.  I followed the driver installation order from the "Dell Business Client Re-Image 'How-To' Guide" and installed the Dell ControlVault driver last.  It did not work. Attached is a screenshot of what I got, and the Windows Installer log. [View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/20160315_5F00_Security_5F00_Driver_5F00_WDRHG_5F00_WN64_5F00_3.3.14.68_5F00_A19.txt:550:0]
Per Dell's document titled "Precision Mobile Workstation M4800/M6800 Windows 7 driver install guide," (as well as just general best practices) the chipset drivers were the first thing I installed.  I... See more...
Per Dell's document titled "Precision Mobile Workstation M4800/M6800 Windows 7 driver install guide," (as well as just general best practices) the chipset drivers were the first thing I installed.  Intel doesn't supply chipset drivers on its website anymore, the "Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)" that is commonly mistaken for an Intel chipset driver package, is just an INF update package.  It just renames the Intel devices in Device Manager to their "proper" and "correct" names - it installs no driver software.
Hi all. I've got a fancy Dell Precision M4800 here, and the USB ports do not work with the latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers (version 4.0.0.36, dated 31 August 2015) installed.  I'm using the latest Int... See more...
Hi all. I've got a fancy Dell Precision M4800 here, and the USB ports do not work with the latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers (version 4.0.0.36, dated 31 August 2015) installed.  I'm using the latest Intel drivers because they were updated three and a half months ago, whereas the Dell drivers (version 2.5.4.40, dated 6 June 2014) for the same thing were updated A YEAR AND A HALF AGO. Anyone from Dell care to comment on why their drivers are unacceptably out of date compared to what Intel is offering on their website?  Anyone from Dell care to comment on why their laptops don't just work with standard driver packages, since everyone with more than two brain cells knows that OEMs can't be reasonably relied upon to keep their drivers and support even remotely up-to-date? EDIT:  Thought I should mention that I tried the Dell driver package.  It didn't work.  I'm shocked. /s
I mean, that's incredibly disappointing.  Still, it's good that they're aware of the issue and are working on it... ...but now would be a good time to reflect back on why it's a bad idea to "custom... See more...
I mean, that's incredibly disappointing.  Still, it's good that they're aware of the issue and are working on it... ...but now would be a good time to reflect back on why it's a bad idea to "customize" anything and everything when the original developer has done a good enough job as is.  You don't need customized chipset drivers, Dell, and you don't need "customized" USB 3.0 drivers. You need to make your computers as independent of your support as they can reasonably be.  The only thing that I should need to get from your website is BIOS updates.  That's it.  Everything else should be able to be gotten via the manufacture
Actually, they SHOULD work just fine with the most up-to-date drivers from Intel's website, but I realize I'm fighting a losing battle here, and OEM's are allowed to drop support for their products m... See more...
Actually, they SHOULD work just fine with the most up-to-date drivers from Intel's website, but I realize I'm fighting a losing battle here, and OEM's are allowed to drop support for their products months after they're released -- hence why the USB 3.0 driver for the E6440 is nearly six months out of date. In any case, expecting the tried-and-true "You should use our unacceptably out-of-date drivers instead of the manufacturer's up-to-date ones," I already tried Dell's USB 3.0 driver for the E6440, according to a Dell document detailing the proper install order. It didn't work, so I'm gonna need something a little more than "try every single one of these even older drivers before we help you."
I have worked with several Dell Latitude E6440's, and they exhibit the same problem:  The USB 3.0 ports function at USB 2.0 speeds.  I have followed your Dell Latitude E6440 Windows 7 Driver Install ... See more...
I have worked with several Dell Latitude E6440's, and they exhibit the same problem:  The USB 3.0 ports function at USB 2.0 speeds.  I have followed your Dell Latitude E6440 Windows 7 Driver Install Order to a T, and I've tried both the latest USB 3.0 driver from Intel's website (which, for the record, I should be able to use with no problems) as well as your horribly outdated one from the Latitude E6440's product support page. The problem persists.  If I plug a USB 3.0 device into the USB 3.0 ports, I will receive a balloon that says "This device can perform faster," informing me to plug the device into a USB 3.0 port.  The device is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.
I received my stylus recently.  It's not the most responsive stylus I've ever used, but it works pretty well.  Unfortunately... the battery life is awful.  I barely used it over the course of, oh, ma... See more...
I received my stylus recently.  It's not the most responsive stylus I've ever used, but it works pretty well.  Unfortunately... the battery life is awful.  I barely used it over the course of, oh, maybe a month?  Maybe a few weeks?  Apparently it's low power mode is still relatively power hungry, because I didn't use it much and it drained. Otherwise, mostly satisfied.  Good work, Dell.
Look, Mary, no disrespect intended, but I'm going to be completely straightforward with you here:  I hate that answer, and I will not accept it.  My organization paid very good money for many of thes... See more...
Look, Mary, no disrespect intended, but I'm going to be completely straightforward with you here:  I hate that answer, and I will not accept it.  My organization paid very good money for many of these laptops, we've been very good Dell customers for a long time and have purchased hundreds of Dell laptops, monitors, monitor sound bars, docking stations... you name it.  Frankly, most of them have quite outdone themselves, it's the recent models (Dell Latitude E6440 and E7240) that have been giving us trouble with basic hardware... like USB, and ethernet. Other manufacturer's laptops work just fine with non-OEM drivers, and thank goodness they do, because OEM drivers and firmware are updated for maaaaaybe a whole six months after the release of the model. That by itself is pretty terrible customer service I would say, but as an IT technician, I'm so used to OEM's launching new products and then dumping support for them no more than a few months that I've learned how to deal with it:  By finding the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer of the hardware whenever and wherever possible.   Perhaps what infuriates me most about your two-line answer is the fact that you evidently didn't even read my initial post -- whereupon I mention that IN ADDITION TO the Intel-supplied drivers, I did try the (six months out of date, don't perform as well, less secure) "customized" Dell USB 3.0 drivers. They didn't work.  So, unless you're suggesting that Dell knowingly shipped a faulty product and is just okay with that, I would suggest you maybe get into contact with some people at Dell and have them figure out why the E6440 doesn't work with official Intel drivers for USB 3.0.  Failing that, I can always recommend to my buyer that our next batch of 40-or-so laptops should come from other manufacturers, like HP (who, I might add, has a much better track record than Dell of keeping their OEM "customized" drivers more up-to-date).
Hi guys. My organization has quite a few Dell Latitudes, and among the most recent are Latitude E6440's.  They're nice machines, and although I can't quite peg why my buyer opted to get Radeon 8690... See more...
Hi guys. My organization has quite a few Dell Latitudes, and among the most recent are Latitude E6440's.  They're nice machines, and although I can't quite peg why my buyer opted to get Radeon 8690M's with them, I can't help but wonder how well they'd perform at a LAN party. In any case, I am tasked with imaging our computers, keeping things running ship-shape, etc.  To this end, I try and keep drivers as up-to-date as possible, simply because updated drivers are more stable and secure (usually).  Unfortunately, in this instance, when I install the latest Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for this laptop... it asks me for a reboot (which I perform), and then USB stops working altogether.  No device is recognized, no matter if I plug it directly into the computer or via the dock.  If I uninstall this driver, USB is back up and running -- though at dreadful USB 2.0 speeds. Even if I use the now-outdated (*cough* *cough*) driver from the Inspiron E6440 "Drivers and Downloads" page, the same thing occurs.  This is after a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional x64 with Service Pack 1, and the computer in question has the latest BIOS (A07) from Dell. This is problematic, as my organization already does have some USB 3.0 external hard drives, and will ideally be using higher quality USB 3.0 flash drives going forward.
Basically, all I want from Dell would be some kind of table that breaks down what part number corresponds to what stylus.  I'm reasonably confident that I got my Dell Venue 11 Pro with the latest sty... See more...
Basically, all I want from Dell would be some kind of table that breaks down what part number corresponds to what stylus.  I'm reasonably confident that I got my Dell Venue 11 Pro with the latest stylus, but I didn't get reasonably confident without spending literally HOURS online combing through forum posts because I didn't want to unintentionally end up with a dud stylus. Something like this except, you know, complete: Dell Active Stylus Part Number Hardware Revision Region 750-AADH A00, A01, A02 US 750-AAHC A03 EU 750-AAGN A03 US
Oh my gentle Jesus. I saw that thread, and while I thought that it was fairly informative... I did not, upon my first visit, realize that it's 8 pages long.  Welllp.  Guess I'm in it for the long h... See more...
Oh my gentle Jesus. I saw that thread, and while I thought that it was fairly informative... I did not, upon my first visit, realize that it's 8 pages long.  Welllp.  Guess I'm in it for the long haul. *dons sunglasses* PS:  It would still be nice to get some clarification from official channels, though, so that consumers might make more educated guesses about what they're buying online.
So I just purchased a Dell Venue Pro 11 from the Dell Outlet.  Screaming deal -- $513 after shipping and taxes for a business-class tablet with a TPM, a proper BIOS/UEFI (suck it, Surface), and acces... See more...
So I just purchased a Dell Venue Pro 11 from the Dell Outlet.  Screaming deal -- $513 after shipping and taxes for a business-class tablet with a TPM, a proper BIOS/UEFI (suck it, Surface), and accessible internal hardware (including battery!) along with delicious cherries on top like WiDi, NFC, Miracast, etc.  The Haswell Core i5 with the latest Intel technologies, 8 GB of RAM and (drool) 256 GB SATA SSD are pretty ballin', too.  I'm very excited about it, and I thank you, Dell, for designing this piece of engineering magnificence and for making it accessible to a cheapskate like me for around 500 freaking dollars. There is ONE thing, however, that DOES frustrate me. I got an e-mail this morning from Aishwarya J Manay informing me that the Dell Active Stylus #750-AADH that I had selected in my order was no longer available, but that he could order me the replacement unit -- the Dell Active Stylus #750-AAGN.  Interesting. First off, props for e-mailing the customer (in this case, me) to ask what they want!  That's good customer service!  On the flip side, I have SCOURED the internet for information about the differences between these, and I have found NO official information on it.  I'm flying blind, relying on hearsay and forum posts.  While helpful, it would be nice to have a breakdown of the differences between these styluses straight from the horse's mouth.  I have read that the initial version of the Dell Active Stylus was somewhat rife with bugs relating to accuracy and responsiveness -- flaws which WOULD be dealbreakers for me.  If I wanted a generic touch-only tablet without a pen and digitizer, I would've settled for the Atom-based Venues or gone with a different brand entirely... but I wanted a tablet that had a GOOD pen and a GOOD digitizer with GOOD responsiveness for digital notetaking, sketching, and art. So with my research, it SEEMS to me that #750-AAGN is the newest Dell Active Stylus... but from my own reading, it appears that it might actually be the THIRD and most recent revision?  But I'm honestly not sure -- maybe it's the first, and you guys are just trying to pawn off some old stock on some dumb *** who doesn't know any better (shakes fist angrily). I don't know, but it'd sure be nice to hear some official word on this matter from you guys... Sincerely, - Everyone on the Internet who is considering buying a Dell Venue Pro.