decker12's Posts

decker12's Posts

I'm getting a new 7390 2-in-1 and I'm reading absolutely horrible reviews for the Dell Active Pen. Are there alternative (and better reviewed) pens from a 3rd party that will work with the active dig... See more...
I'm getting a new 7390 2-in-1 and I'm reading absolutely horrible reviews for the Dell Active Pen. Are there alternative (and better reviewed) pens from a 3rd party that will work with the active digitizer on the 7390?
Does anyone have a battery life comparison on the new 8th generation 13" 7390s? I am configuring my first one for a user and I see both i5 and i7 as choices. I have my doubts the user will truly not... See more...
Does anyone have a battery life comparison on the new 8th generation 13" 7390s? I am configuring my first one for a user and I see both i5 and i7 as choices. I have my doubts the user will truly notice a performance difference between the i5 and the i7, so I'm curious if there's a difference in battery life between the two, and if so what is the average full charge to empty battery life for each of them?  
I want to remove the Dell Data Protection Security Tools PBA UEFI version 321. I turn on the laptop, and the DDP Pre Boot Authentication screen appears. I use the password to get past it, and then I... See more...
I want to remove the Dell Data Protection Security Tools PBA UEFI version 321. I turn on the laptop, and the DDP Pre Boot Authentication screen appears. I use the password to get past it, and then I immediately get "All bootable devices failed" error. Basically, looks like Windows is hosed up and I need to reinstall it, which I'm fine with. The problem is, if I try to boot to a Windows USB Dell Recovery key, Windows 10 won't see the hard drive because of the PBA, so I can't install Windows without unlocking the drive first. I don't have the option to unlock the drive in the Recovery key. So I need to disable PBA, but I can't boot into it's broken Windows installation in order to run the program to disable it. What do I do?
I'll take some pictures of the user's desks and see if I can do a before/after thing to show you how the desk space is lessened. A couple of my users just deal with it, and a couple of them complain ... See more...
I'll take some pictures of the user's desks and see if I can do a before/after thing to show you how the desk space is lessened. A couple of my users just deal with it, and a couple of them complain about it. The main issue is that the laptop itself is say, a 15 x 12" square, and docked with the under-the-monitor docking solution, lets say it took up 18 x 18", but it was all "self contained" under the monitor for lack of a better term. Now, the laptop has to balance on top of the empty plastic without the e-dock, or if I get rid of the under the monitor docking plastic, it kind of half balances on the plastic monitor stand. Or, the laptop has to move to a different space entirely on the users desk to "lay flat". The TB16 is a box that sits to the left side of the laptop, because if you put it behind the laptop you lose access to the ports on front of it. If the cable was longer or you could swap the cable from right/left of the TB16, it'd be a bit better because I could place it between the two monitors. Instead it always has to hang out on the left side of the laptop. It sounds minor ("always on the left side of the laptop") and I play it off when I deliver the laptop to the user, but two weeks later they gripe about it and ask "Can I just get a longer cable so I can put it over here instead?" And yes, I definitely recall our long chat about this! I do appreciate you steering me in the right direction, I have had both docks for a few months now and my complaints about it may seem picky but considering the price of these docks and how IMO they're sunk by this cabling issue. Especially considering how the E-port docks (and the docking solution before that) had this docking problem completely solved for many years. My biggest concern as the IT guy isn't users complaining about desk space, it's the stress on the TB3 connector on the laptop. Because of the way you have to wrap that cable from the left side of the TB16 to the left side of the laptop, it's always pulling and stressing the TB3 port on the laptop. The TB16 cable is also a fairly thick gauge so it's not that flexible. Knowing how users connect and reconnect all the time I can see that port getting yanked around. I have had success with for dual-monitor setups is using articulating arms to hold the monitors instead of them on monitor stands. The arm solution reclaims desk space (no more plastic under the monitors) so I may move the complaining users in that direction. 
We've had a couple WD15s and they were an unmitigated disaster of a product. I actually replaced two of them with the TB16 because both WD15s were so unreliable. They would randomly drop video, USB p... See more...
We've had a couple WD15s and they were an unmitigated disaster of a product. I actually replaced two of them with the TB16 because both WD15s were so unreliable. They would randomly drop video, USB ports would stop working, and they had trouble waking laptops from sleep. For a while I kept updated the firmwares and BIOS of the hardware involved in an effort to fix it. I replaced WD15s with more expensive TB16s and was initially thrilled with their performance (especially compared to the buggy WD15s) before I realized the cable length limitation. When we upgrade the laptops, we also have upgraded users to higher resolution monitors which the WD15 doesn't support anyway. Reading around the forums it appears the WD15s have a ton of problems and my experience was not uncommon.  That really only leaves the TB16 as the single dock option for the new Dell laptops. Another issue with this TB16 (and the WD15) is that unlike the E-series laptops, the user has nothing to "click" their laptop into. They have to literally just find some space on their desks (within 18 inches of the dock of course) to put their laptop. I actually have removed the E-series port replicator from the Dell under the monitor docking solution and put skid pads on the remaining plastic part so the user can at least lay the laptop on the empty dock plastic. It's a really crappy solution and my users are not thrilled with losing desk space. I'm not thrilled because it seems so half-assed to just tell my users "Uh, I guess just shove some stuff around on your desk and put your laptop, uh somewhere back there I guess, but remember it has to be almost right next to this new black box oh yeah, and make sure you don't bend that connector in a goofy way because it may eventually break the USB-C port on your laptop". Shame because I love the new Dell Latittude 15" and 14" laptops. Just without a way to properly dock them I am considering switching vendors. We loved the old E-series because of the docking solution, because users could click into a port replicator and it was reliable and just worked without screwing with this 18" cable and having users rearrange their desks. Now that there's no decent docking solution I'm not tied into Dell as a vendor because HP doesn't have a great docking solution either.
The TB16 works mostly fine, but it’s design is incredibly poorly thought out. There’s a single USB-C TB3 cable coming from the left side of the dock, and the cable is 16 inches long. Due to the way D... See more...
The TB16 works mostly fine, but it’s design is incredibly poorly thought out. There’s a single USB-C TB3 cable coming from the left side of the dock, and the cable is 16 inches long. Due to the way Dell hacked around with the design of the 130w TB3 / 40gbps cable coming out of the Dock, you cannot change the length of this cable nor reposition it, it is and always will be 16 inches long and it will always come out on the left side of the dock.  Doesn’t seem so bad until you realize that almost all of the new 15” Dell business laptops have a single USB-C plug on the LEFT side of the laptop. So you have a 16 inch cable coming out of the left side of a dock that needs to stretch around to reach the left side of a laptop. Therefore, the cable will only reach the USB-C plug if you position the dock to the left of the laptop and stretch/wrap the cable along the back of the dock, which has the additional problem of stressing the connector that plugs into your laptop. I fully expect these connectors to fail on the laptop within a year of plugging and unplugging. Even if you had a 14” Dell laptop you’re still stressing the connector. It is baffling how stupid this design is. Just wait until you unbox this thing and put it on your desk and go, huh, I guess there’s literally only one place I can put this on my desk and then only one way I can put my laptop near it. Go ahead and look at the picture on Dell’s website showing the dock connected to a laptop. That picture isn’t just a glossy shot to show off the hardware, it is literally the only way you can arrange your desk with this dock. I have several of these at work and all my users hate the fact that the dock has to go at exactly one place on their desk and the laptop has to go exactly next to it.  It’s a shame because this is the only Dell docking solution being offered for their modern laptops. Used to be we could buy E series laptops and the E port replicators but Dell is moving away from that so this is what we’re stuck with. Dell should have made the cable swappable from the left, right, or rear of the TB16 to give the users some flexibility in their desk layout.
I had a problem with jerky mouse movement on a brand new 7480 with Windows 10 and a brand new TB16. We have a couple of TB16s and 7480's in the office and both had this problem. When plugging into t... See more...
I had a problem with jerky mouse movement on a brand new 7480 with Windows 10 and a brand new TB16. We have a couple of TB16s and 7480's in the office and both had this problem. When plugging into the TB16 rear ports, mouse movement was jerky and laggy. Plug the same mouse into the laptop itself and it was fine. I have all the latest software and Windows 10 updates for both the TB16 and the laptop. Pretty sure I solved the problem by using an external USB hub (the monitors have USB ports). Plugged the mouse into the monitor, then the monitor USB2 into the TB16, and the jerky movement went away. Reading up on this problem it is common and apparently unfixable or ignored by Dell. It's an issue with the TB16 and BIOS on your laptop but downgrading to an older BIOS isn't an option for many of us due to TPM and Bitlocker and Meltdown/Spectre. Anyway, as I said I will ask my users after a couple of days if they problem was solved with a simple USB hub instead of directly connecting to the TB16.
Thanks for your help. I've come to the conclusion as well that it doesn't seem to be something we can make work without using third party software. Seeing as we'll be using Bitlocker as software encr... See more...
Thanks for your help. I've come to the conclusion as well that it doesn't seem to be something we can make work without using third party software. Seeing as we'll be using Bitlocker as software encryption, safe to say we can stop ordering SEDs with our laptops and just order regular M2 SSDs. Good news is that Bitlocker software encryption so far isn't much of a CPU drain, and it encrypts as well as our Macs using Filevault 2. Thanks for the confirmation, it's been something that I've tried to make work with Windows 7, and now that we're upgrading to Windows 10 I can see that it's not something we should dump resources into figuring out.
We do not have Dell Data Security with our new laptops, nor do we particularly want it as we've used DDP in the past and found it to be cumbersome to setup, difficult for the end users, lacking in do... See more...
We do not have Dell Data Security with our new laptops, nor do we particularly want it as we've used DDP in the past and found it to be cumbersome to setup, difficult for the end users, lacking in documentation, and it's mysteriously bricked several hard drives (through no fault of my own or the users) while using it. The Dell security suite, whether they are fingerprint based, or handle the SED, I genuinely would not recommend to anyone. They were a nightmare. We would like to use the built in Bitlocker encryption provided with Windows 10, except instead of it using software encryption, we want it to use the SED. If I had a Samsung drive there are clear instructions on how to use the Samsung drive utilities to enable the SED, but there doesn't appear to be any tool to enable the hardware features of a Liteon SED. That's what I'd like to use.
Oof, just received my TB16's and my laptops and was shocked to find the 16" TB cable from the dock was the maximum length available. With the TB ports being only on one side of the laptop that severe... See more...
Oof, just received my TB16's and my laptops and was shocked to find the 16" TB cable from the dock was the maximum length available. With the TB ports being only on one side of the laptop that severely limits the vast majority of ways I was going to configure a user's desk. So far I cannot find a single method of arranging the dock with the laptop to allow the users to access the front ports on the dock. I can already tell there's an uncomfortable amount of stress being applied to the dock's TB cable.
I have a brand new 7480 with a Liteon CV3 OPAL2 Self Encrypting Drive. Windows 10 Pro was preinstalled and Bitlocker was already turned on after the initial Windows 10 setup, but I can tell that it... See more...
I have a brand new 7480 with a Liteon CV3 OPAL2 Self Encrypting Drive. Windows 10 Pro was preinstalled and Bitlocker was already turned on after the initial Windows 10 setup, but I can tell that it's only using Software encryption. Bitlocker via software decryption works fine. How do I turn on Hardware decryption to take advantage of my SED?
Dang, sorry, I must have scanned right through your last bullet point comparing the two on the previous page. Sorry about that! Excellent answers as always. I'll probably end up getting Precision 552... See more...
Dang, sorry, I must have scanned right through your last bullet point comparing the two on the previous page. Sorry about that! Excellent answers as always. I'll probably end up getting Precision 5520's even though they'll be overkill for those fringe cases where the user doesn't want the numpad but still wants the larger screen. As I mentioned we have one 5520 in the company and I thought it was brilliant when I set it up and the user adores it, so I'll just keep getting those. Again I really appreciate your help.
I may have mixed up the monitor model as I'm certain the ones I have are equipped with DVI-D plugged into the e-port replicators. I also have a couple of special case users that aren't power users ... See more...
I may have mixed up the monitor model as I'm certain the ones I have are equipped with DVI-D plugged into the e-port replicators. I also have a couple of special case users that aren't power users and don't need the 10 key. Any thoughts on Precision 15" vs XPS 15? We have 1 Precision 5520 in the company already and I thought the build quality was great and the user loves it, plus he's a power user so is definitely getting the most out of it. I just can't help but feel the 5520 is over kill for those few other users that want a non-keypad 15", which is why I was looking at the XPS 15. Again, all of these with the TB16. Just something kind of bugs me about having 4 different Dell model laptops in the company (5580, 7480, 5520, and now a XPS 15). Do you have any thoughts about the 5520 vs XPS 15?
Yes, my apologies, I meant that I was going to grab the TB16 w/240w charger. That should fit the requirements for the 7480's (with TB3) and the 5580's (with 10 key and TB3 option) that I was looking ... See more...
Yes, my apologies, I meant that I was going to grab the TB16 w/240w charger. That should fit the requirements for the 7480's (with TB3) and the 5580's (with 10 key and TB3 option) that I was looking to purchase for my staff. Most of my monitors are the older Dell P2412H's that have display port and DVI-D (but no HDMI). I would hope the TB16 dock will still function properly with 2 of these monitors (one via DP and one via DVI-D and a HDMI or miniDP adapter)? I know it's overkill to run the 4k-capable dock with only 2x 1080p monitors, but I'd rather not upgrade perfectly functioning monitors at this time.
The giveaway is in the model names.  One is the E7470 and the other is the 7480 -- no "E".  The letter on Latitudes has traditionally noted the type of docking station they required -- so s... See more...
The giveaway is in the model names.  One is the E7470 and the other is the 7480 -- no "E".  The letter on Latitudes has traditionally noted the type of docking station they required -- so something like the C840 would require a C Series dock, then there was the D600 that switched to the D Series, then the E6400 for example.  Dropping the letter means there is no more proprietary docking connector.  The 7480 comes standard with a USB-C port that supports both charging and DisplayPort Alternate Mode, and is available with Thunderbolt 3 as an option. That makes it MUCH easier to determine, thank you. I never noticed that! That's odd about the E7470 and the 7470. The doesn't seem very Dell-like to remove the e-port without changing the model number (other than the "E"). As far as I can tell the E7470 and 7470 seem to be the same machine, except for the docking port. I think it's odd they would engineer an entirely new base plate and motherboard for the 7470 instead of just shipping E7470's and saying "if you don't need the port, don't use it". On that same note it appears the 7470s are going away as they're all tagged with this 40% Instant Savings "Last Time Buy" promotion. When replacing laptops for users, I offer them either the 15" with the 10 key (good for accounting), a 14" ultraportable, or if their job requires it, a 15" Precision heavy lifter. If your opinion is that you're pretty happy with your 7480, that will probably be the go-to 14" ultraportable that I offer to my employees, with the D16 dock. I'm not quite sure how I'll handle desktop setup without these computers being able to be stable and click into a dock, but I'll cross that bridge once the hardware arrives.
This is probably a question for my sales rep, but just wanted to verify that your 7480 does not have the e-port docking connector on the bottom of it? I'm looking at the 7480 and 7470 on the Dell lap... See more...
This is probably a question for my sales rep, but just wanted to verify that your 7480 does not have the e-port docking connector on the bottom of it? I'm looking at the 7480 and 7470 on the Dell laptop configuration page and neither say anything about the e-port docking connector, but I have several E7470's already in service here that definitely have it. I think the Dell tech pages are not telling me the whole story. www.dell.com/.../latitude-14-7480-laptop Thanks again!
You mentioned DisplayLink problems with beefy computer - correct me if I'm wrong but that will only apply to the D6000? The desk space issue is mostly because users have dual 24" monitors that take... See more...
You mentioned DisplayLink problems with beefy computer - correct me if I'm wrong but that will only apply to the D6000? The desk space issue is mostly because users have dual 24" monitors that take up quite a bit of space so it wasn't desirable to add yet another 16" worth of laptop to the right or left of those monitors. Your thoughts about display scaling on these laptops when attached to multiple monitors was also a concern. If that sleep/power button behaves the same way as the sleep/power button on the old e-port docks did, then I'm definitely in business. That is an excellent piece of info that laptops may have USB-C, but not TB3. I wasn't aware of that and will check Dell's laptop line carefully. I think the TB16 is the right route for me. I'm going to grab one of those and shop around for a new Dell laptop that supports TB3. I have several people queued up for laptop replacements and were just waiting on the results of this research, so after I put it through it's paces I'll be able to hand off that system to a waiting user. As far as physical laptop placement, I will see how it works placing the laptops on the old spot where the e-port docking station was under the monitor.  Sadly I have long since tossed the old "legs" of my Dell monitors because most of them ended up attached to the old e-port monitor dock/stands. Again I really appreciate your indepth answer to my question. You've saved me a lot of time and money ordering things that end up not working out for my needs and sending them back and ordering something else.
I really appreciate your answers to this question. You've been a huge help to a problem I've been dreading to solve for months now. Those images were too small for me to tell if it's a power button... See more...
I really appreciate your answers to this question. You've been a huge help to a problem I've been dreading to solve for months now. Those images were too small for me to tell if it's a power button or a Dell logo 🙂 Unfortunately I think there doesn't appear to be a best of both worlds type of solution here. The sleep/wake issues are going to be a major inconvenience for my users, and I'm personally not thrilled with what the users will physically do with their laptops when they have nothing to "click" into like with the e-port docks. I know my users and how limited their desk space is, and I can absolutely see them cramming their laptops between the two monitors, stressing the connectors. I think I'll unfortunately have to just force them to use a 3 monitor setup (2 external + laptop display on a stand). They'll hopefully appreciate the "extra screen" at a cost of desk space, but so it goes. That should solve the sleep/wake problem as they can always touch their laptop to wake things up, plus it'll solve my concern about the laptops getting crammed somewhere on the desk. Excellent point about the Displaylink chip. We usually configure pretty beefy machines for our users to last them 3+ years, and it would be aggravating to know the GPU that is often "forced" into this higher end configs would go totally to waste with the D6000. Looks like I'm going with the TB16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to connect the TB16 to a Dell laptop is via USB-C? Next question that I can answer on my own but you may know off hand: Which Dell 14" Ultraportable and which 15" with a 10-key will work with a TB16?
Thanks for the tips. I'm genuinely baffled at how to proceed based on what you're telling me. My goal is to emulate the old e-port docking stations with the newer non-eport (and mostly USB-C) Dell ... See more...
Thanks for the tips. I'm genuinely baffled at how to proceed based on what you're telling me. My goal is to emulate the old e-port docking stations with the newer non-eport (and mostly USB-C) Dell business laptops. We'd like to upgrade to the newer laptops which don't have the e-ports on the bottom of them. Meaning: Dock with keyboard, mouse, other items plugged into it permanently at a user's desk 2 external monitors Closed laptop not being used as a 3rd screen Ideally laptop is secured somewhere instead of being shoved behind the monitor or propped on it's side leaning against a wall (as users probably will end up doing as they value their desk space) Some option to wake that closed laptop from sleep without physically opening the laptop and making Windows go bonkers swapping monitors around thinking the Laptop is a 3rd screen From what you're saying, and from what I've been discovering on my own, is that it doesn't seem possible to replicate my existing e-port style 2 monitor + closed docked laptop. Does the DS1000 have a power button to wake the laptop from sleep? The TB16 looks closer to what I'm looking for, but the thing is $300 and it's getting generally *** reviews, with people complaining about ports and monitors not working after plugging in USB-C unless they futz with it, something I don't want to put my users through. Any third party USB-C docks that you can think of?
We have an office filled with dual monitor Dell e-port docking stations. Usually people have a 24" monitor attached to the E-port Monitor Stand with a dock, and the monitor next to it is a 24" dell m... See more...
We have an office filled with dual monitor Dell e-port docking stations. Usually people have a 24" monitor attached to the E-port Monitor Stand with a dock, and the monitor next to it is a 24" dell monitor. User arrives into work, clicks their e-port equipped Latitude laptop into the dock, both monitors light up. If the laptop goes to sleep, user reaches back towards the dock where there's the little power button on it to wake up the laptop. With the newer USB-based multi monitor WD15 docks, how do you wake up your laptop when the lid is closed, since there's no power button on them? Also, since there's nowhere to physically click the laptops into anymore, what do users do with their laptop? Shove them behind the monitors somewhere? There's very little room on their desks for a 2 monitor + always open laptop setup (nor do they need 3 monitors, they only want 2), so the laptop needs to be lid closed and put somewhere, which worked fine for the e-port docks with the under monitor stand. Thanks for helping me visualize what to do with this setup. I'd like to upgrade out of my e-port docks and Latitudes but I can't see how it will work out.