Xx360xX's Posts

Xx360xX's Posts

Im just wondering if it is possible to run a 64-bit operating system, such as Windows 7 on a 2005 Dell XPS 400 desktop? It wont recognize or read a 64-bit Windows 7 Install/reinstall Disc, but a... See more...
Im just wondering if it is possible to run a 64-bit operating system, such as Windows 7 on a 2005 Dell XPS 400 desktop? It wont recognize or read a 64-bit Windows 7 Install/reinstall Disc, but apparently I successfully installed Ubuntu 64-bit version and it was working.  Seems to only work loading off the CD rom drive instead of the DVD-RW drive. Is it possible its not set up correctly in the bios?
Well you where correct. It was the back light. Im using a parts computer for parts and swapped the inverter but the effects where the same. So all is working for now. Its done about 8 hours straight ... See more...
Well you where correct. It was the back light. Im using a parts computer for parts and swapped the inverter but the effects where the same. So all is working for now. Its done about 8 hours straight with the screen on and showed no problems. The backlight is a pain to change. And those screws are very tiny, almost couldn't find a screw driver that would fit. Anyway thanks for the advice.
I am planning to upgrade my Dell XPS 400 desktop. I am not trying to make it into the latest and greatest machine on the block but I am trying to spruce it up with some new parts. I realize the mothe... See more...
I am planning to upgrade my Dell XPS 400 desktop. I am not trying to make it into the latest and greatest machine on the block but I am trying to spruce it up with some new parts. I realize the motherboard limits how much better it could become, and restricts what CPUs and memory I can put in it. I would like to upgrade the graphics card tho while I figure out what else I would like to do. I am looking at the following GPU's, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 760. Will all these graphics cards potentially work? I know the power supply would need to be upgraded but I am already planning on that. Depending on which card I would go for. Right now the system is pretty much 100% stock, came from the factory with the GeForce 7300 LE The 980 seems a little to over the top, although I could transfer it into another build when the time comes. Im really just wondering if these cards can be compatible with the OE system given only changable components are the road block. nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 nVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 nVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 nVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 ATI Radeon HD 6770 Any opinions? The 960 seems like a decent choice.
Thank you! Funny how I completely missed the manuals download from the support page for my PC. Downloaded all three. Well I appreciate your response, it helped a bunch. Im probably going to go a... See more...
Thank you! Funny how I completely missed the manuals download from the support page for my PC. Downloaded all three. Well I appreciate your response, it helped a bunch. Im probably going to go ahead and order an inverter, screen/backlight and while im at it a new keyboard too. I bought two of these as parts computers to fix my original one because its screen hinges broke. Out of the other too, i mixed parts and had one fully functional. Except the screen started getting dim. Since I don't live next to a dell factory or warehouse. I just used parts from one of the parts computers I bought. I swapped the inverter over to the new build. And its been on for over an hour now. Screens still light so I think that solved the problem. How long it will last im not sure, but it will give me some time and a reason to buy all those new parts. p.s.  anyone have any recommendations for a computer repair tool kit. I need some better tools and cant seem to find the micro sized tools anywhere for a good price. Looking for tamper proof assortments, phillips, etc.
Ahh interesting. Good thing I asked and didn't just go ahead and buy stuff I probably don't need. Do complete screens come with all these parts? And do you have any idea where I could find repai... See more...
Ahh interesting. Good thing I asked and didn't just go ahead and buy stuff I probably don't need. Do complete screens come with all these parts? And do you have any idea where I could find repair instructions for these kind of tasks? Thank you
One of my parts computers came without a power cord or a hard drive. And it was never tested by the seller. I threw a spare 600m hard drive in it and it booted up fine loaded and got to the desktop f... See more...
One of my parts computers came without a power cord or a hard drive. And it was never tested by the seller. I threw a spare 600m hard drive in it and it booted up fine loaded and got to the desktop fine. I was playing around cleaning up the hard drive. And the screen went black after about 30 minutes of use. I shined a flash light down it from the top and you can still see the screen and operate the computer, its just the backlight has seemed to disappear from the screen. Now let me add that upon first start up the screen appeared to have a red hue to it during the initial booting before Win XP took over the book process. Not sure if that means anything. Is this positively the screen inverter, or could it potentially be something else?  Thanks
I brought my XPS 400 Desktop back from the dead recently and all is going well. I had a question about upgradign the RAM. In stock configuration I hear that it can take up to 4 GB of RAM and the wind... See more...
I brought my XPS 400 Desktop back from the dead recently and all is going well. I had a question about upgradign the RAM. In stock configuration I hear that it can take up to 4 GB of RAM and the windows XP OS can use 2.75 of that memory. I have 3x sticks of 1GB ram (they are all the same type). Two are original. Can I add a 3rd stick of RAM or do they have to be added in pairs. When I tried adding the 3rd one the PC wouldn't boot. Is this a bios setting or its ment to be dual channel and run in pairs? Can this system support more than 4 GB with a different OS or is the hardware limited there? Also does anyone know if these systems can take 64 bit OS systems. I have ran linux in 64 bit but I cannot upload Windows 7 64 bit version. This might be because the bios doesn't allow me to use the DVD drive as a boot device.
Ahh, I see thank you. Im not sure if this computer is capable of running Windows 7 which I also have copies of. This 600m is just an additional computer I have two main desktops and two main laptops.... See more...
Ahh, I see thank you. Im not sure if this computer is capable of running Windows 7 which I also have copies of. This 600m is just an additional computer I have two main desktops and two main laptops. The rest of these cheap out dated computers im using to create tools for other things, such as using them as automotive diagnosis tools. Some of the programs won't run on anything but XP. So thats why its been the choice. I'm not that worried about the security. I will probably leave the internet disabled most of the time once I get it going.  Anyway thanks again for the reply. Let me give it a whirl and report back if any progress is made.
I brought my Inspiron 600m back to life and did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2. After that I began installing drivers for it from Dell.com at the following link. www.dell.com/.../drivers ... See more...
I brought my Inspiron 600m back to life and did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2. After that I began installing drivers for it from Dell.com at the following link. www.dell.com/.../drivers Now there wasn't any  drivers that other recommended like chipset/system drivers available when searching by service tag. However if you search by model (600m) a lot more come up. Im not sure if I should download any of them. My problem is it cannot connect to the internet and the ethernet port is dead. I have no error messages. I tried LAN  connections using an ethernet cable to another machine and it does not take. I am running Intel PROSet/Wireless and it does see nearby networks but cannot connect. It says configuration failed. I have read all the usual documents for troubleshooting but no solution yet. I have heard there where some flaws with this model and some of the equipment.  Anyone have any ideas?