rbrown5055's Posts

rbrown5055's Posts

Wow, thank you very much for the super-quick and detailed response, I greatly appreciate it!  It sounds like I have a good chance that the WD15 will work, so I plan on obtaining one and will give it ... See more...
Wow, thank you very much for the super-quick and detailed response, I greatly appreciate it!  It sounds like I have a good chance that the WD15 will work, so I plan on obtaining one and will give it a shot.  Thanks again for all the info!
I have a company-issued Dell Latitude 5580, and although it has a USB-C port, it does not have a Thunderbolt controller installed.  The company has also apparently disabled the USB ports somehow (for... See more...
I have a company-issued Dell Latitude 5580, and although it has a USB-C port, it does not have a Thunderbolt controller installed.  The company has also apparently disabled the USB ports somehow (for example, if I plug in a USB drive, nothing happens).  I would like to have a KVM setup so that I can use a bigger monitor, etc.  The company gave me a "Targus USB-C Dual Video 4k Docking Station with Power Delivery", but I cannot get it to work with the 5580.  I would be willing to buy a Dell WD15 if it will work with a 5580 that does not have a Thunderbolt controller.  The BIOS settings seem to indicate that a Dell WD15 can be used via the USB-C connection even without the Thunderbolt controller. My question is, will the WD15 work with this laptop?  If not, is there any other KVM dock that will? Thanks!
Ok, after some playing around with switching memory modules in and out, I did manage to get *one* of the memory modules to work.  I suppose it's possible that there is a problem with the other memory... See more...
Ok, after some playing around with switching memory modules in and out, I did manage to get *one* of the memory modules to work.  I suppose it's possible that there is a problem with the other memory module, and I plan to contact the seller to see if I can get a replacement. I'm just afraid it will turn out to be the 780. :-(
My solution copy pasted from another topic about this issue: Hey guys, I just bought 2x 4gb's of ddr3 10600, for my Optiplex780MT  and at first it wasnt working. Doing a bit of a searc... See more...
My solution copy pasted from another topic about this issue: Hey guys, I just bought 2x 4gb's of ddr3 10600, for my Optiplex780MT  and at first it wasnt working. Doing a bit of a search made me start to get a little pissed off but this board does take DDR3 10600, hell it already had 2x 2gb sticks of DDR3-10600 in it and worked fine. That didnt stop it from not booting when i put in the new RAM. A bit of trouble shooting and I was able to fix this problem, rather simply. First upgrade the bios, to A15, mine was still on A01. Download it from the dell downloads page, then run it as an administrator. When the update is finished, turn off the computer, unplug it, open the case. Hit the power button again to drain power until the LED's go out Install the new RAM. Shut everything up, plug in the computer and power on. Viola, that's what i did, you now need to enter bios because the configuration has changed, be sure to check the HDD AHCI/ATA/RAID to the correct setting, updating the bios set the default to RAID, I put it back to AHCI auto detect once i figured out why windows wasnt starting. That's pretty much it, now running 8 gigs of PC3 10600 1333Mhz that its clocking down to 1066mhz. So you know, it was running with the A01 Bios on 2x2gb of:  hynix 2gb 2rx8 pc3-10600u-9-10-b0 (HMT125U6TFR8C-H9 N0 AA     1031) I dont know for sure, but i assume you could use 4 2 gbs easily and this stuff is pretty cheap on ebay Now it is running with A15 Bios on: 2x4gb Crucial ct2kit51264ba1339 -- This is no longer available on their site and is possibly discontinued but I got it new w/ lifetime warranty on amazon for 84 shipped with tax, and its on newegg too for 90. Anyway hope this is helpful, just waiting now for the hdd, vid card and psu to arrive to hopefully turn this freebie computer into a relatively decent machine. I just bought this exact RAM for my Optiplex 780, 2x4gb Crucial ct2kit51264ba1339.  I followed these instructions exactly.  And... no joy. :-(  The machine will not boot.  I get some beeps, and lights #3 and #4 come on. Please help, what am I doing wrong???  This is *so* frustrating!
I have an Optiplex 780 MT that came with 4Gb memory as 4 1Gb memory modules.  I will be replacing this memory with 2 4Gb memory modules, making 8Gb.  Since this will only take up two of the four memo... See more...
I have an Optiplex 780 MT that came with 4Gb memory as 4 1Gb memory modules.  I will be replacing this memory with 2 4Gb memory modules, making 8Gb.  Since this will only take up two of the four memory slots, and I will have the original 1Gb memory modules left over, I was wondering if it would be possible (or advisable) to put two of the 1Gb memory modules into the remaining two memory slots, making a total of 10Gb (two 4Gb modules + two 1Gb modules). Is that possible, and would it even be a good idea to mix two pairs of unlike memory modules? Thanks!