Don_Canada's Posts

Don_Canada's Posts

I finally did find a method for booting Windows 10 on my Alienware Aurora R4 with A11 BIOS.   I have to use a boot disk (bootable USB stick) called Clover bootloader. It includes an NVMe driver... See more...
I finally did find a method for booting Windows 10 on my Alienware Aurora R4 with A11 BIOS.   I have to use a boot disk (bootable USB stick) called Clover bootloader. It includes an NVMe driver at the initial UEFI boot level and can then detect and boot the normal Windows 10 Boot Manager from the PCIe connected NVMe SSD. The Alienware UEFI firmware simply cannot detect the NVMe SSD.   I have to disable Secure Boot to boot the Clover USB stick. I would like to see if I can get Secure Boot working another way still.   Clover could also be installed to an SD-Card. Since my Aurora R4 came with a multi-format flash media reader, I may use a small SD-Card or similar to boot from instead. Clover only uses less than 14MB on the boot media to boot my PC. alienware aurora r4 desktop‌ pcie 3.0 x4 nvme‌ windows 10 1709‌ dell alienware aurora uefi  r4 m.2 m.2 boot device
I have an NVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD installed in my Alienware Aurora R4 (A11 BIOS). I used an ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI add in card to mount it. Windows 10 Pro version 1709 UEFI BIOS mode wit... See more...
I have an NVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD installed in my Alienware Aurora R4 (A11 BIOS). I used an ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI add in card to mount it. Windows 10 Pro version 1709 UEFI BIOS mode with Secure Boot enabled I installed the Samsung NVM Express Driver 2.2. Samsung Magician shows it running PCIe Gen 3 x 4 and it tests full speed with CrystalDiskMark5. But, I cannot get Windows 10 to boot from it. I can clean install Windows 10 to it (or clone my running Windows with Macrium Reflect) and it is detected by the standard Windows driver during setup like nothing is out of the ordinary, but on Restart, the Aurora R4 cannot see the NVMe drive to boot from it. I even tried booting from another disk and pointing to the NVMe Windows install with the BCD on the SATA disk, but it still cannot detect it. Yet if I boot to Windows RE (Repair Environment) it sees the NVMe SSD instantly, from the Command Prompt and with diskpart, etc. I found this document from Dell and my system behaves as described there. The NVMe drive never shows up in BIOS, as they say it might not and does not show up from BIOS as an available UEFI boot device. After reading a couple of threads here, some claim success with an NVMe drive on Aurora R4. The only difference I can see is the ASUS add-in-card vs the Lycom mentioned here. Samsung says that the Add-In-Card should not affect bootability. As mentioned, I have no problems with speed/performance of the drive. "An AIC is merely an adapter, and therefore does not change the inherent bootability or connectivity of a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD. Please note that depending on the quality of the AIC, the performance of your Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD may, in rare cases, be below the performance specifications published by Samsung." I have tried every configuration that I can think of, such as Secure Boot disabled, OpROM on and off, even Legacy BIOS mode. Any other ideas? Is there any way to get a newer than A11 BIOS for the Aurora R4 to install that might help?
Today Dell replaced my NVIDIA GTX-690, along with my motherboard and memory under warranty (would not boot past Alienware splash screen -- F2, F12 did nothing). Now I finally am able to enable ... See more...
Today Dell replaced my NVIDIA GTX-690, along with my motherboard and memory under warranty (would not boot past Alienware splash screen -- F2, F12 did nothing). Now I finally am able to enable Secure Boot, as the GTX-690 they sent has a UEFI-compatible BIOS, while the one I got with my new Aurora-R4 did not. For reference, the new NVIDIA GTX-690 has Video BIOS version: 80.04.1E.00.1F.  And work with Secure Boot.
Luckily mine is still under warranty.  Today Dell replaced my motherboard, memory and video card. Now I am back up and running.  It seems likely the motherboard had failed in some way, although... See more...
Luckily mine is still under warranty.  Today Dell replaced my motherboard, memory and video card. Now I am back up and running.  It seems likely the motherboard had failed in some way, although this happened during a Restart, without a power off and nothing I tried could enable booting past the Alienware splash screen.
This is a very old thread, but for future reference by those with older hardware, I had this same issue on my Dell XPS M1710 (now eight years old). The only way to enable the ability to boot from U... See more...
This is a very old thread, but for future reference by those with older hardware, I had this same issue on my Dell XPS M1710 (now eight years old). The only way to enable the ability to boot from USB is to both enable USB storage device in the Boot Sequence and also to set the Integrated USB hub to Compatible instead of High Speed.  Otherwise it will not show in the F12 options, as described by the OP.
NVIDIA GTX-690 video card. 32GB RAM Aurora-R4 no boot - Displays Alienware splash screen - F2 and F12 do nothing but be highlighted. I have tried power off; hold power button down for 2 minut... See more...
NVIDIA GTX-690 video card. 32GB RAM Aurora-R4 no boot - Displays Alienware splash screen - F2 and F12 do nothing but be highlighted. I have tried power off; hold power button down for 2 minutes+ when not plugged in; removed and reseated video card. A couple of times I got 6 beeps which indicates failed video card, but I do see video via Display Port to my monitor. Sits forever at Alienware splash screen with blue bar indicating UEFI loading fully blue but goes no further. There is only the normal single beep at power up.  It will sit forever at this point.  The only change is that hitting F2 or F12 light up that menu item at bottom right of screen, but go no further.
Interesting.  Have you checked your Event Log?  I was getting this error since installing Windows 8.1, but until I looked at the Event log I noticed nothing wrong: "The system has rebooted with... See more...
Interesting.  Have you checked your Event Log?  I was getting this error since installing Windows 8.1, but until I looked at the Event log I noticed nothing wrong: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Also this one: "Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC000007B." Since the A10 BIOS I think is when it quit shutting down noticeably.  The mouse and keyboard lights and functions quit and the video turns off, but the CPU box keeps running forever until I hit the power button if Fast Startup is enabled. If I disable Fast Startup it has no errors.  The time difference is not huge without Fast Startup with a solid state drive, but it ought to work.
You needed to talk to the manager if you had someone tell you to install an old OS that you do not even own a license for on your new computer. There is a new release of Command Center, which ... See more...
You needed to talk to the manager if you had someone tell you to install an old OS that you do not even own a license for on your new computer. There is a new release of Command Center, which reportedly seems to work.  I installed it and no problems so far. I have a solid state drive installed on my Alienware Aurora R4 and it no longer shuts down completely if Windows Fast Startup is enabled.  I believe that may have begun with the A10 BIOS.  If I disable Fast Startup, which doesn't make a huge difference with a solid state drive, it shuts down alright. Here is the new Command Center for Windows 8.1:  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=P1K0M 
To disable Fast Startup, hold the Windows key and press "X".  Choose Power Options.  Click on choose what the Power button does on the left.  If you do not see Fast Startup as an option under Shu... See more...
To disable Fast Startup, hold the Windows key and press "X".  Choose Power Options.  Click on choose what the Power button does on the left.  If you do not see Fast Startup as an option under Shutdown settings, or if it is greyed so you can't deselect it, click on Change Settings that are currently unavailable.  You should then be able to uncheck select Fast Startup. Fast Startup is enabled by default in Windows 8.  There is a hibernation file it requires, which can also be deleted if desired.  At an Administrator CMD prompt, type in: POWERCFG /H OFF To re-enable Fast Startup in future, you would have to recreate this file by typing POWERCFG /H ON.  This will make Fast Startup an available option in Power Options again.
The fan speed stuck at 100% pre Windows boot a few times lately again for me.  I noticed the computer is having trouble interpreting the Shutdown command from Windows 8.1 and seems to try to go i... See more...
The fan speed stuck at 100% pre Windows boot a few times lately again for me.  I noticed the computer is having trouble interpreting the Shutdown command from Windows 8.1 and seems to try to go into Sleep mode instead.  When this happens, it always triggers the 100% fan issue. I looked in my Event log and found a daily error that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" which has been happening all along, ever since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store.  I also found the error "Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC000007B" was happening each day.  I have a small Solid State drive for my boot drive and Windows.  After a lot of attempts to get it to work without the shutdown issue and having to reinstall Command Center each time the fans failed, I finally disabled Fast Startup and haven't had the issue since.  With the solid state drive it doesn't take very long to boot anyway.  Fast Startup was a lot quicker, but the Shutdown command wasn't working right and that seemed to contribute to the fan speed issue. I was also having the system hang during the Shutdown command since upgrading to A10 BIOS.  The computer would only partially shut down and disable the mouse,keyboard and video, but the CPU would stay running forever.  After forcing a shutdown with the power button, the fans speed would always pin to 100% immediately at power-on and I would have to reinstall Command Center to fix the fan speed. I wonder if the fans issue is related to Fast Startup under Windows 8.1 for everyone or not?    
My fan speed issue appeared one morning recently before the A10 was available and I did the reset and remove/reinstall Command Center; hold down power button while unplugged and Restore all BIOS ... See more...
My fan speed issue appeared one morning recently before the A10 was available and I did the reset and remove/reinstall Command Center; hold down power button while unplugged and Restore all BIOS defaults and rescan UEFI steps.  It eventually worked again. I installed A10 today and no fan speed problems so far.  Maybe if you fix it with the steps suggested earlier it will stay fixed now using A10 BIOS??
New A10 BIOS today (November 20, 2013).  I am about to try it.  My fan speed did return one morning on my R4, but managed to fix it.  Hope this A10 BIOS works better!
I also had the 6 beeps using my NVidia GTX 690.  I upgraded to newest A09 BIOS from Dell for my Aurora R4 as part of getting it to work.
Keep hitting F12 after power on.  It should give you boot options, including UEFI BIOS settings.  Also can first try unplugging computer and holding down power button for 60 seconds. This hard re... See more...
Keep hitting F12 after power on.  It should give you boot options, including UEFI BIOS settings.  Also can first try unplugging computer and holding down power button for 60 seconds. This hard resets some things.
On my R4 I did not get Secure Boot to work to Windows 8.1's satisfaction (removing the watermark about Secure Boot isn't configured correctly) until I installed A09 BIOS.  After that I had the fa... See more...
On my R4 I did not get Secure Boot to work to Windows 8.1's satisfaction (removing the watermark about Secure Boot isn't configured correctly) until I installed A09 BIOS.  After that I had the fan speed 100% issue, which I fixed by removing and reinstalling the Windows 8 version of Command Center, followed by a restart.  I had the fans manually set to zero speed below 35 degrees on a curve before I removed and reinstalled Command Center, but the reinstallation reset it to Auto and even resolved the fan speed before Windows begins to load.
Dell has said that Windows 8.1 is supported on the Alienware Aurora R4 and that any issues with Command Center will be investigated.  It was in another thread.  There are some Alienware systems t... See more...
Dell has said that Windows 8.1 is supported on the Alienware Aurora R4 and that any issues with Command Center will be investigated.  It was in another thread.  There are some Alienware systems they say are not supported for Windows 8.1. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=575111 
Yes.  It is sounding like it is unusual that mine is working correctly (Aurora R4; A09 BIOS; Windows 8.1; Secure Boot; GTX 690; fan speed normal). I suppose it is also possible that all of the ... See more...
Yes.  It is sounding like it is unusual that mine is working correctly (Aurora R4; A09 BIOS; Windows 8.1; Secure Boot; GTX 690; fan speed normal). I suppose it is also possible that all of the complaints here are only a small percentage compared to those who got it working.  That would suggest Dell could help those with difficulties.  Do you also have open tech support tickets? still on warranty?
Mine became like that mostly after upgrade to A09 BIOS I believe.  I set manual fan speed to zero below 35 degrees on a curve and that worked, but was still too noisy until that finally loaded.  ... See more...
Mine became like that mostly after upgrade to A09 BIOS I believe.  I set manual fan speed to zero below 35 degrees on a curve and that worked, but was still too noisy until that finally loaded.  All I did is remove Command Center, reinstall it, then reboot.  It set Command Center back to defaults (automatic) and it works. No fan speed problems since.  Was surprised that it fixed the pre-boot fans speed, but it did.
I was able to use a video BIOS from ASUS that works, but my card was from Dell not ASUS, so I would like to have it properly supported along with all the others they sold. I already had Windows... See more...
I was able to use a video BIOS from ASUS that works, but my card was from Dell not ASUS, so I would like to have it properly supported along with all the others they sold. I already had Windows 8 for the past year on this system, but was running UEFI with Secure Boot disabled, since it did not work with Windows 8 and the GTX 690 from Dell.  I also had the most recent Windows 8 Command Center.  When the fan speed issue started was just after upgrading to A09 BIOS I believe.  I configured Command Center not to use the fans below 35 degrees C which made them quiet after Command Center loads, but that is the last thing that loads, so they were very noisy and bothersome from the moment the system turns on. I only uninstalled Command Center from Add/Remove Programs area, which left the fans spinning fast and then reinstalled it without rebooting from the C:\Dell\ area where the install files end up if downloaded from Dell.  I did nothing to purge the files and registry.  Only after it was reinstalled did I reboot and everything was fixed. Command Center had reverted to defaults.  I was able to reload my color scheme.  I shut down, rebooted, tried a Restart also (which is more thorough than shut down in Windows 8).  Now the fans always run quiet with it set to Auto in Command Center.  They only spin up for a moment at power-on and cycle slightly during boots, then go to normal quiet speeds and only vary a bit under load as they should. Perhaps having it set to Manual zero fan speed on a curve as I did, then uninstalling/reinstalling without a reboot, then rebooting was the key, but that sounds unlikely.
I had this same issue on my R4, but it seems permanently resolved.  I hope it does not happen again like it has for some.  I am using UEFI; Secure Boot; Windows 8.1; Command Center.  Fans stay no... See more...
I had this same issue on my R4, but it seems permanently resolved.  I hope it does not happen again like it has for some.  I am using UEFI; Secure Boot; Windows 8.1; Command Center.  Fans stay normal even during boot other than a few brief spin-ups.  All my AlienFX lights work using prior saved settings from before Windows 8.1 upgrade (I just had to reload the saved setup since Command Center reinstall reverted to defaults).