Game7a1's Posts

Game7a1's Posts

The GTX 980m is supported on the Alienware 18. You just need the Dell vBIOS for it (if it doesn't already), and it's a regular GPU upgrade process. The GTX 970m is a cheaper alternative that is... See more...
The GTX 980m is supported on the Alienware 18. You just need the Dell vBIOS for it (if it doesn't already), and it's a regular GPU upgrade process. The GTX 970m is a cheaper alternative that is also supported and a good upgrade.
When there is no graphics card present in the AGA, the computer recognizes it as a PCIe USB Hub, so Command Center won't detect it until you put in a graphics card.
Oh, you have the 17 R1 (the m17x R1 is a different laptop). It's possible to upgrade your GPU, but you may need a new charger (the 240w or 330w one) and heatsink. The best Alienware has tested ... See more...
Oh, you have the 17 R1 (the m17x R1 is a different laptop). It's possible to upgrade your GPU, but you may need a new charger (the 240w or 330w one) and heatsink. The best Alienware has tested are the GTX 780m, R9 m290x, and GTX 880m. People in the community have found ways for the GTX 970m and GTX 980m to work, so those are options as well.
The GPU is soldered onto the motherboard, so no.
The laptop display is routed to the iGPU only, so you are bound by switchable graphics (which GPU gets to do the workload essentially). You cannot run the laptop display on the GTX 970m, but the ... See more...
The laptop display is routed to the iGPU only, so you are bound by switchable graphics (which GPU gets to do the workload essentially). You cannot run the laptop display on the GTX 970m, but the HDMI port is routed to the GTX 970m.
I wouldn't get that RX 480. It's better to get a reference/blower-style GPU as that style blows hot air out of the case, which is ideal for the X51 case.
Yes, the computer is fine with running with 1 discrete GPU. I think buying the laptop with a sole Nvidia or AMD GPU was an option as well.
They're both (mini DP and HDMI) routed to the integrated GPU, just like with the 17 R2. In recent time, only the Skylake laptops have the HDMI routed to the discrete GPU (the USB C port they have... See more...
They're both (mini DP and HDMI) routed to the integrated GPU, just like with the 17 R2. In recent time, only the Skylake laptops have the HDMI routed to the discrete GPU (the USB C port they have is routed to the iGPU/CPU).
Not a 17 R2, but with a 13 R1 (it has an HDMI and mini DP port), I was able to get video output through both ports, so the same should happen for the 17 R2.
Since you have the latest BIOS version, you should be able to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge CPU. An i5-3330 (or almost any Ivy Bridge i5) or i7-3770 should be worthy upgrades. The RAM can also run at ... See more...
Since you have the latest BIOS version, you should be able to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge CPU. An i5-3330 (or almost any Ivy Bridge i5) or i7-3770 should be worthy upgrades. The RAM can also run at 1600 MHz with 16 GB being the max capacity (2 x 8). The motherboard is OEM. It's a Mini-ITX. As it is the X51, you are very limited in space, but the upgrades will fit. 3 SATA ports, 1 PCI-E x16 slot, 2 RAM slots, a Mini PCI-E slot for the Wifi card, and that's really it for noteworthy things.  The 850 EVO does come in a 2.5" form factor, so unless you got a mSATA one, you should be fine. You'll need additional cables if you want to keep your HDD. Adding an SSD to the X51 R1 is a common upgrade. I would also get the external 330w PSU in the case you want to upgrade your GPU. A GTX 1060 works from reports I've seen.
If no GPU is listed, it's likely the 15 R2 comes with the R9 m395x. Look in the parts list, and if you find an "AM" in the assembly model part number (the same part number would also list the C... See more...
If no GPU is listed, it's likely the 15 R2 comes with the R9 m395x. Look in the parts list, and if you find an "AM" in the assembly model part number (the same part number would also list the CPU), then the laptop has AMD GPU.
Which AW15 do you have? The R1 or the R2? A new Graphics Amp software and BIOS update for the Skylake laptops (in this case, 15 R2) came out recently. They add Sleep and Hibernate options.
If I may ask, does the computer boot with your old graphics card? And do you have the latest (or more up-to-date) BIOS? You could probably use the old graphics card to make adjustments to the B... See more...
If I may ask, does the computer boot with your old graphics card? And do you have the latest (or more up-to-date) BIOS? You could probably use the old graphics card to make adjustments to the BIOS settings and see if anything works (and potentially update the BIOS if you haven't; flashing the BIOS to the latest version wouldn't hurt if you have it already).
No, it means that Alienware didn't test it, but community members did. It is likely that you'll have to change the heatsink for the new GPU. And I'll recommend you get the GTX 780m as the GTX 8... See more...
No, it means that Alienware didn't test it, but community members did. It is likely that you'll have to change the heatsink for the new GPU. And I'll recommend you get the GTX 780m as the GTX 880m is just an overclocked GTX 780m with some... technical problems. I suggest you go the notebookreview's Alienware forum (the m17x subsection) to find full details on how to perform the upgrade.
The RX 480m (or previously, R9 480m) is a mobile variant of the RX 460. Also, it's very likely it won't come in a MXM form factor and it hasn't even been released yet), so no, you won't be abl... See more...
The RX 480m (or previously, R9 480m) is a mobile variant of the RX 460. Also, it's very likely it won't come in a MXM form factor and it hasn't even been released yet), so no, you won't be able to upgrade to it..
Unofficially, the m17xR3 can support up to a GTX 880m. The GTX 900m series doesn't work in the m17x R3.
That's not a 17 R2. That's a 17 R1.   You can upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, screen, and storage, but you won't get much out of upgrading anything but the GPU; however, since the GTX 880m is the be... See more...
That's not a 17 R2. That's a 17 R1.   You can upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, screen, and storage, but you won't get much out of upgrading anything but the GPU; however, since the GTX 880m is the best Alienware validated for the laptop, any other GPU would require some additional effort.
Please delete. Sorry.
You would want to use a blower style GTX 970 (blower style GPUs blow fan hot air out the case, while the others move air into the case). PNY and EVGA have  GTX 970s that should fit in the X51. AS... See more...
You would want to use a blower style GTX 970 (blower style GPUs blow fan hot air out the case, while the others move air into the case). PNY and EVGA have  GTX 970s that should fit in the X51. ASUS, Gigabyte and I think Gainward does as well, but ASUS and Gigabyte's are overclocked, so they aren't generally recommended. 
Make sure you have updated or uninstall your Free Fall sensor driver. It should help with the boot times. Also, Samsung Magician is more for consumer drives, not OEM drives.