bryguy21's Posts

bryguy21's Posts

How to apply security patches. Hi all, So I have a bunch of S90's that we need to reuse. I wanted to reflash these clean with the latest firmware update (unfortunately it only goes up to SP2... See more...
How to apply security patches. Hi all, So I have a bunch of S90's that we need to reuse. I wanted to reflash these clean with the latest firmware update (unfortunately it only goes up to SP2). I finally got that working using the simple imager utility. Now that I've updated the firmware I want to apply a security patch or two. We have found older units infected with conficker. There is a MS security patch MS06-040 205. MS06-040 (921883) SP2 builds (August 2006) (766.5 KB) MS06-040 (921883) - Vulnerability in Server Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution And the newer patch MS08-067 https://appservices.wyse.com/pages/s...h=59&Model=S90 How exactly do you install these patches on the wyse device?
it took me forever to get this working. Make sure the firewall on the winterm is disabled. You have to hold down shift, enter the default login Administrator/Administrator. In this mode you can also... See more...
it took me forever to get this working. Make sure the firewall on the winterm is disabled. You have to hold down shift, enter the default login Administrator/Administrator. In this mode you can also disable the write protect filter (click on red icon). At this point go to control panel > settings. You'll be able to go into the firewall. Disable it.
Hi all, I received a new ultrasharp U2415 monitor and have an older optiplex 990 mid tower. The current card is just DVI.T Well there is no DVI port on the U2415. I would prefer getting the best di... See more...
Hi all, I received a new ultrasharp U2415 monitor and have an older optiplex 990 mid tower. The current card is just DVI.T Well there is no DVI port on the U2415. I would prefer getting the best display quality possible out of the monitor. I assume this would mean using a videocard that has a DisplayPort.   I want to run dual monitor. My main would be the U2415 and secondary an older sony monitor that is VGA only. I need to get a new video card that has a displayport for the U2415 and I assume if the card also has DVI I can just run that to my older monitor with an adaptor. Any video card suggestions? No gaming I just do some programming and web work (photoshop, fireworks etc). I would like to get the best color and sharpness out of the new monitor which is really nice. 
Thanks Speedstep
Hi all, I am doing a manual reinstall of windows 7 64 pro on a OptiPlex 990 mini tower. Its just cleaners for SSD's. I am downloading all the recommended install drivers for the 990 in proper order... See more...
Hi all, I am doing a manual reinstall of windows 7 64 pro on a OptiPlex 990 mini tower. Its just cleaners for SSD's. I am downloading all the recommended install drivers for the 990 in proper order as specified at the url below: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN151682/EN I'm a bit confused about the Intel HECI driver. If I go to the software and downloads page for the 990 based on the service tag there is no Intel HECI driver. I assume the replacement is the Intel Unified Management interface driver?
Its the mini tower Osprey.   Dell Optiplex 790 DT MINITOWER Core i5 3.1 GHz
Hi all, I have an OptiPlex 790 which we intend to use to output video to a large screen HDTV. The PC currently has the stock video card. I need to add a video card that has an HDMI connector. Any s... See more...
Hi all, I have an OptiPlex 790 which we intend to use to output video to a large screen HDTV. The PC currently has the stock video card. I need to add a video card that has an HDMI connector. Any suggestions. No need to play games, just output HD video to a 70" TV. Also for the audio, since this is a PC, I assume I still need to use the audio out for sound or can the hdmi be used for audio as well with the right vid card?
If you have system restore disabled in windows, just make an image backup with the dell backup and restore utility. Put it on another USB.  Bryan
That is correct but it looks like you figured it out 😃
Hi 846, There is a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains a factory restore image. You can literally restore your computer to factory out of the box condition using this factory restore ... See more...
Hi 846, There is a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains a factory restore image. You can literally restore your computer to factory out of the box condition using this factory restore image (Factory.wim). No need to manually install windows and figure out what drivers to install. There are two ways to use this restore image.  1. If you ever wanted to reimage your laptop to factory state with all dell drivers, hidden restore partition and a clean install of windows using the existing disc in the laptop. a. reboot the computer, b. hit F8 before the computer boots into windows c. once in the the safe mode boot screen select the option that says "repair my computer" d. you will see windows boot into a repair screen c. connect with a local admin account d. on the repair menu choose the Dell Data restore option e. select the factory.wim and click continue to restore. This video shows the procedure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ECjkiGFYM#t=36 2. You can also use this Dell backup restore utility to create a bootable restore USB. I highly recommend doing this. In fact anytime you get a brand new dell, use this utility and create restore USB. To create this USB, start-up up the Dell data restore utility. There is an option to create bootable media (USB) using this tool. Whats cool about this utility is that the bootable restore USB can be used at any time to restore your laptop to out of the box condition with all dell drivers and partitions. It also allows you to create image snapshots of your laptop after the fact with apps you've installed etc. Basically what apps like Acronis True image do, but it doesn't cost you anything because this tool comes with your Dell. This is how I'd recommend installing windows on your new SSD. Create a bootable USB with the factory.wim using the dell data restore utility. Put the new SSD in your laptop, in the bios make sure AHCI is enabled (it probably is already). Boot your computer off the USB and select to restore the image to your new SSD. This will image your SSD with windows and include all the proper dell drivers and hidden partitions for the restore image. Now for the bad news. Since you already installed windows manually, you may have removed the hidden restore partition. If this is the case, you wont be able to create the bootable usb using the factory.wim because it was removed. If this is a new dell you might be able to request to get a restore disc.
Glad to hear the DBAR restore worked. Thats probably the best way to do it. You start with a clean install of windows, all dell drivers and partitions restored in out of the box condition. The only d... See more...
Glad to hear the DBAR restore worked. Thats probably the best way to do it. You start with a clean install of windows, all dell drivers and partitions restored in out of the box condition. The only downside is that you have to reinstall your apps and pull all the most current windows updates again. Still I've read many a forum where its been found better to do a clean install versus cloning to a new SSD. Its better to do the clean install using Dell's factory restore versus manually installing windows because it ensures you are restoring windows with all the proper dell drivers and it creates the hidden restore partition. Dell does recommend drivers be installed in proper order. I've made that mistake in the past attempting to manually install drivers for a dell laptop. The factory image takes care of that for you.
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. When you did a clean install of windows, did you do it clean from the factory.wim so the install includes all the proper dell drivers? You hav... See more...
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. When you did a clean install of windows, did you do it clean from the factory.wim so the install includes all the proper dell drivers? You have to be careful doing a clean install of windows on a Dell laptop or even PC. If you just install windows and let windows detect the drivers for the motherboard etc it can impact performance. Windows update will install generic drivers that will work, but you may notice odd performance issues. Its always best to make sure the Dell drivers for the motherboard etc are installed AND in the proper order. That's why the factory.wim is so important and useful. I learned this the hard way. In my opinion its always best to make sure you create a factory restore bootable backup of your machine on a USB. Then use that factory image if you ever want to restore to a new drive. 
Perhaps I'm wrong but doesnt your 5810 include Dell backup and restore software? Instead of cloning I would use the backup/restore utility to create a factory install bootable usb. Then restore to th... See more...
Perhaps I'm wrong but doesnt your 5810 include Dell backup and restore software? Instead of cloning I would use the backup/restore utility to create a factory install bootable usb. Then restore to the newly installed SSD. Also I assume in the bios you have AHCI enabled not raid. I am doing the same exact thing as you but with an older optiplex 990. I want to do a clean install instead of clone so that was my initial idea. Restore from the factory image using a bootable USB then install all my apps etc cleanly.
Great thanks Osprey4. Yes these are on windows 7.
Hi all, I restored two optiplex 990's which currently have two drives setup in a raid 1 config. I did a full restore on both machines with a backup/restore bootable usb with the factory.wim, I the... See more...
Hi all, I restored two optiplex 990's which currently have two drives setup in a raid 1 config. I did a full restore on both machines with a backup/restore bootable usb with the factory.wim, I then installed required applications. Pretty clean untainted install. After all that I was asked to install SSD drives in these machines (1 for each). The drives are crucial MX100 drives 256 gig. My plan is to do the following. 1. Create a full backup image with the dell backup/restore software on a usb drive (image with all current apps installed).  2. Go into Bios delete the Raid volume and set the drives to be AHCI (from Raid). 3. Shut down the machine install the MX100 on Sata(0). From what I understand the Optiplex 990  tower does support Sata III on two sata connectors. I assume that is Sata (0 and 1)? 4. Boot off the USB restore to reimage the drive One of my questions, would it be better to use the Acronis true backup software that came with the SSD to create the restore image? I'm pretty sure the Dell utility should be just fine. Lastly since the original install that I created was setup with Raid 1. Will this cause any issues when i restore that image to the single SSD drive using AHCI?
For others who want to know. I assumed sysprep had to be used prior to creating a system image so the cloned machine is generalized with a unique ID. You can, however use sysprep on Win 7 (which is... See more...
For others who want to know. I assumed sysprep had to be used prior to creating a system image so the cloned machine is generalized with a unique ID. You can, however use sysprep on Win 7 (which is built into win 7) to reset the SID "after" installing the restore from the image. (For windows 7) Open sysprep location C:\Windows\system32\sysprep\ For the GUI run sysprep.exe As a System Cleanup Action select Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE), select Generalize if you to change SID, and select "Reboot" Let this run. After the machine boots up the SID should be reset.
Hi Osprey, I imaged the other optiplex machines and it worked perfectly with one caveat. It did set the machines with the exact same SID. Usually Microsoft recommends using Sysprep to change the... See more...
Hi Osprey, I imaged the other optiplex machines and it worked perfectly with one caveat. It did set the machines with the exact same SID. Usually Microsoft recommends using Sysprep to change the ID but thats usually a laborious process using WAIK prior to installing the image. Do you know if there is a Dell utility or something in the rebootable install utility that can be changed to assign a new SID. I basically used the Dell Backup and Restore utility from the machine that had a good image file to create the bootable USB to restore the image.
I figured it out thanks.
Hi all, I have a new E7240 laptop prepping for a user. By accident I installed the Dell data protection software and manager. I do not want this feature. I did not encrypt anything. I assume I can... See more...
Hi all, I have a new E7240 laptop prepping for a user. By accident I installed the Dell data protection software and manager. I do not want this feature. I did not encrypt anything. I assume I can just uninstall the software without issue? It was delivered via the Dell Digital Delivery software versus the  Command update software. I mistakenly thought the Digital Delivery was the software update utility.
Thanks Osprey emoticon.Smile.title