JaniceHetrick's Posts

JaniceHetrick's Posts

Hello, I have an EMC CX3-40c with Flare code 3.24.40.5.016 and would like to update to 3.26 however powerlink is no longer available and when I log into EMC support I have no options to down... See more...
Hello, I have an EMC CX3-40c with Flare code 3.24.40.5.016 and would like to update to 3.26 however powerlink is no longer available and when I log into EMC support I have no options to download Flare codes. I do not have a support contract anymore but still would like to update so how can I go about doing this? Thank you, Janice
Hi Glen, I do have the hosts balanced between the two switches now....and I did have a FC switch failure a couple months ago...lucky for me at that time I only lost access to my test environme... See more...
Hi Glen, I do have the hosts balanced between the two switches now....and I did have a FC switch failure a couple months ago...lucky for me at that time I only lost access to my test environment. I was lucky enough to inherit this environment and have completely mapped everything out now and we intend to add dual HBA's in order to elminate the SPOF that seem to be every where. I appreciate your feedback! Janice
Yes, we do have a lot of SPOF and we are working to eliminate that....I appreciate your help with such a quick answer and follow up!
Currently I do not have dual HBA's in my VMware hosts just a single HBA, but either way I should have each SP zoned through the switches correct?  We are working on implementing a Cisco UCS and ... See more...
Currently I do not have dual HBA's in my VMware hosts just a single HBA, but either way I should have each SP zoned through the switches correct?  We are working on implementing a Cisco UCS and reviewing the zone config is how I discovered this and just wanted to confirm that both SP's should be zoned.  Thanks!
Hello, I currently have an CX3-40c which is connected to fabric A and B.  Each fabric has one brocade E200 with firmware v5.3.0d. Switch 1 has the following connections to the EMC controll... See more...
Hello, I currently have an CX3-40c which is connected to fabric A and B.  Each fabric has one brocade E200 with firmware v5.3.0d. Switch 1 has the following connections to the EMC controllers: Port 1 = A1 Port 2 = B1 Switch 2 has the following: Port 1 = A2 Port 2 = B2 This makes sense since I want each controller to have redundancy if a switch fails. Here is where I am lost...Switch 1 port 2 (B1) is not zoned nor is Switch 2 port 1 (A2) not included in any zone configuration...is that normal for am EMC?  I would think that I would want redundancy at the switch and controller level.  Any feedback would be appreciated!!
Update: Ok I was able to Bind the LUN and now has a private LUN within the RAID Group, and the hot spare is ready....but the hot spare is inactive. Any suggestions on how to make the Hot Spare ... See more...
Update: Ok I was able to Bind the LUN and now has a private LUN within the RAID Group, and the hot spare is ready....but the hot spare is inactive. Any suggestions on how to make the Hot Spare Replacement active?
This is how I created the Hot Spare: I right clicked on RAID Groups and selected Create RAID Group and I then selected the RAID Group ID (237 in this case) and with 1 disk and then selected Hot S... See more...
This is how I created the Hot Spare: I right clicked on RAID Groups and selected Create RAID Group and I then selected the RAID Group ID (237 in this case) and with 1 disk and then selected Hot Spare...then clicked apply. Is this the proper process to create a hot spare? Is there another way to create the hot spare? If this is correct why is the hot spare showing all space free and how can I manually make this appear in the Private LUN list with my other Hot Spares? If I right click on the new SATA II hot spare (237) I have the following options: Destroy Properties Bind LUN (is this the process to make the LUN private?)
Sorry to be so dense but if I bind the LUN will it then make it private? I would think the process of creating the RAID Group and selecting the hot spare option would do this....So to be cl... See more...
Sorry to be so dense but if I bind the LUN will it then make it private? I would think the process of creating the RAID Group and selecting the hot spare option would do this....So to be clear...how do I manually create this so it is private and active? Thank you!
If I expand the LUN Folders and look under Private LUNs I do not see the SATA II hot spare listed. In my post I stated I had not bound the LUN....is that why it is not listed?
I have a CX3-40c running FLARE 24 which currently has 2 FC hot spares set up. I recently added a 15 drive 1 TB SATA II shelf and created two RAID 5 (6+1) and would like to use disk 14 as the hot s... See more...
I have a CX3-40c running FLARE 24 which currently has 2 FC hot spares set up. I recently added a 15 drive 1 TB SATA II shelf and created two RAID 5 (6+1) and would like to use disk 14 as the hot spare. I created a RAID Group with a high number (like my other hot spares) and as I look through the properties I see some differences and need to know if this is an active hot spare or not. The 2 FC hot spares properties have the following: General Tab Total Capacity 268 GB Free Capacity 0 GB Hot Spare Replacing:Inactive Expansion/Defrag Medium Disk Tab Shows the Hot spare as Inactive Partition Tab Shows all the space Bound The new SATA Hot Spare General Tab Total Capacity 917 GB Free Capacity 917 GB Hot Spare Replacing:N/A Expansion/Defrag Medium Disk Tab Shows the Hot spare as N/A in an unbound state Partition Tab Shows all the space Free I cannot find in the user guide anything on binding a hot spare...is that my issue...that I have not bound it? Also if I do have Hot Spare Replacing...how do I invoke that...it seems like a good thing to have according to the Hot Spares Best Practices...any feedback will be appreciated!
Great, thank you so much for the information this helps a lot! I appreciate it!
Can anyone tell me if you can change the SP from A to B or B to A after you have presented them through PowerPath? The reason why I ask is if down the road I have a heavier load on A than B I woul... See more...
Can anyone tell me if you can change the SP from A to B or B to A after you have presented them through PowerPath? The reason why I ask is if down the road I have a heavier load on A than B I would like to be able to change the ownership to balance it out. Thank you! PS...since the main question was answered...should I start a new thread or is it ok to repost to this as I did...just want to make sure
Thank you for your answer!
Sorry if I did not pose that question clearly. I understand that I do not assign the SP's to a RAID Group. What I am trying to understand is...would there be an issue if I assigned all the LUN's f... See more...
Sorry if I did not pose that question clearly. I understand that I do not assign the SP's to a RAID Group. What I am trying to understand is...would there be an issue if I assigned all the LUN's from one RAID Group to SP A and all the LUN's from another RAID Group to SP B? Since currently we do not have any type of pattern across the SP's.
Currently I have 6 shelves of FC drives (72GB and 300GB) and just added a shelf of 15 SATA II 1 TB Drives. I am setting up two RAID 5 Groups 6+1 with a hot spare. Currently there is no rhyme... See more...
Currently I have 6 shelves of FC drives (72GB and 300GB) and just added a shelf of 15 SATA II 1 TB Drives. I am setting up two RAID 5 Groups 6+1 with a hot spare. Currently there is no rhyme or reason as to which LUN's are associated to SP A or B. My question is would you assign the first RAID Group to SP A and the second to SP B? Like I said there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how they were assigned before. Best practices appear to say balance load across both SP's but does not really clarify if my putting all of the first set on A to be an issue or not. Thanks!
Yes and best practices here is my scenarios: Scenario 1: One shelf of 15 1TB SATA II drives that I plan on setting up as such: Disks 0-4 RAID 5 (4+1) Disks 5-9 RAID 5 (4+1) Disks 10-13 RAID... See more...
Yes and best practices here is my scenarios: Scenario 1: One shelf of 15 1TB SATA II drives that I plan on setting up as such: Disks 0-4 RAID 5 (4+1) Disks 5-9 RAID 5 (4+1) Disks 10-13 RAID 5 (3+1) Disk 14 Hot Spare OR Scenario 2: One shelf of 15 1TB SATA II drives that I plan on setting up as such: Disks 0-4 RAID 5 (4+1) Disks 5-9 RAID 5 (4+1) Disks 10-14 RAID 5 (4+1) Issue...Scenario 1 with the hot spare I have found maybe an issue since a SATA II drive could be used for one of my FC drives (for which I have 2 hot spares already) Issue...Scenario 2 without a hot spare I need to know how long the rebuild rate will be on a 4+1 RAID 5 (thanks to a previous post I have that calculation) Main concern is do I spread the RAID groups throughout the shelf or keep them as I listed above (0-4, 5-9, 10-14) or from reading through best practices it seems that the RAID groups are spread out within the shelf. Really what I am trying to do is get the best bang for my buck and keep the rebuild within reason. RAID 6 is out for now due to I have FLARE 24 not 26 on my CX3-40c. Any input is appreciated!
So, thus far, is there anyone in the forums that has implemented a shelf of SATA II 1 TB drives with 3 sets of RAID 5 and has had to rebuild a RAID set? I understand there are many factors to r... See more...
So, thus far, is there anyone in the forums that has implemented a shelf of SATA II 1 TB drives with 3 sets of RAID 5 and has had to rebuild a RAID set? I understand there are many factors to rebuilds
Thank you for the reference to that thread. It is exactly as I feared...a SATA II drive can hot spare for a FC drive which is really just crazy!! I wish they considered that at the controller leve... See more...
Thank you for the reference to that thread. It is exactly as I feared...a SATA II drive can hot spare for a FC drive which is really just crazy!! I wish they considered that at the controller level when they decided to allow SATA II shelves to be added to the CX3 series.
I currently have 3 RAID 5 Groups 5 disks each of the 1 TB SATA II Drives...has anyone had any rebuild experience on these or something close? I have a CX3-40c.
I recently added a shelf of 1 TB SATA II drives and I am creating 3 RAID 5 Groups with 5/5/4 disks. I wish to use the last disk as a global hot spare, but I read through the Global Hot Spares best... See more...
I recently added a shelf of 1 TB SATA II drives and I am creating 3 RAID 5 Groups with 5/5/4 disks. I wish to use the last disk as a global hot spare, but I read through the Global Hot Spares best practices and found that there is a possibility that a SATA II drive could be used as a FC hot spare! Can anyone confirm this? The best practices state that a hot spare disk drive is selected by type (ATA or SATA II/FC), size and bus number. I really do not want a SATA II drive being used as a FC hot spare so any help or feedback is appreciated!!