purple397's Posts

purple397's Posts

Re: Order cancelled due to Factory glitch worst service ever

Dell does have a couple of "Dell Speak" terms.   Cancellation of an order is needed to start the process again.   Which is not as much of a delay as it sounds.   It is annoying  to those of us who ha... See more...
Dell does have a couple of "Dell Speak" terms.   Cancellation of an order is needed to start the process again.   Which is not as much of a delay as it sounds.   It is annoying  to those of us who have a different expectation of the use of the words, "Order Cancelled" sounds like a death knell of our order, but it really isn't.  Worse is that sometimes the term Cancelled seems to indicate a huge delay in our order is coming, often it means that special efforts will be made to get the next order through with true expedited haste.  Special supervision as to pushing your order to the front.   You paid for expedited shipping.  After the cancellation, it likely, at the manufacturing facility, gets tagged to be pushed to the front all the time.  No guarantees that is what will happen, it is just what they used to do. 
Hi, Thank you all for looking at this and answering.  I have an Alienware 15 R2 with Windows 10 Pro.  I would like to install the Windows to run from a USB Flash drive.   I am basically aware of the ... See more...
Hi, Thank you all for looking at this and answering.  I have an Alienware 15 R2 with Windows 10 Pro.  I would like to install the Windows to run from a USB Flash drive.   I am basically aware of the Driver downloads, and such.  I just thought someone would suggest the programs to install Windows 10.   I have the same Windows 10 Pro Activation Key  (license.)    Basically I know how to do it.  Just felt someone could suggest ways to make this easier.  Also any possible suggestion on the order to install Windows 10 Drivers, as they can sometimes be finicky about that.   In the past, I tried to create a way to boot Windows 10 from an external hard drive, but, unless I use some third party software, that looks impossible.   I would guess that it would also might be possible to boot from Thunderbolt, but I do not have a drive for that, and I am not sure if the Alienware would boot from that, unless I used some third party software. Thanks for any experienced advice.
The Laptop does use USB 3.     I see this seems to happen in Windows 10.   The final piece of advice being to re-install all of Windows.  And perhaps not allow the Fall Creators Update to install.  S... See more...
The Laptop does use USB 3.     I see this seems to happen in Windows 10.   The final piece of advice being to re-install all of Windows.  And perhaps not allow the Fall Creators Update to install.  Seems like a lot of trouble to do all that.   Alienware provides the Firmware drivers.   Can Alienware support know any easier way to fix this.   To be honest, I have one more MOBO update that could be applied.   I see others who did apply the last update for MOBO now have a bricked computer.     I have an Alienware 15 R2 with 16 GB RAM
Dell now tells me that the battery for this is unavailable.   No knowing when it will or ever be back in stock.   I also read that replacing the battery on this is very hard.  I doubt the quality of... See more...
Dell now tells me that the battery for this is unavailable.   No knowing when it will or ever be back in stock.   I also read that replacing the battery on this is very hard.  I doubt the quality of non-dell parts.  I had an Alienware 14 and folks used to try to sell batteries which clearly did not fit for it.  I doubt the quality of non-dell parts.   Anyone know anything about what I might try to do?   Laptop still works pretty well.  
I have a Samsung SSD on a tower.   I would install Linux, and it would not allow me to use a large 40 4K TV as a monitor.   It would work with Windows Pro, which was because the SSD has its own wrink... See more...
I have a Samsung SSD on a tower.   I would install Linux, and it would not allow me to use a large 40 4K TV as a monitor.   It would work with Windows Pro, which was because the SSD has its own wrinkles.   I suspect your problem is less the way you did the install the SSD.   If you can get into BIOS/EFI then you might find some way to change the delay of the boot, and it would work.   I know that when I had several spinning hard drives, the Timing at boot changed and the thing began to behave.   And no it does not make any sense.   You might add an external hard drive, which might slow the boot sequence down so it begins to work long enough to poke around and make changes.  Might try to boot Linux from a Flash Drive to see if everything else looks all right. 
I used the option to keep my personal files.   Seems everything is working.   However, this laptop comes with a 1 TB Spinning Hard Drive and and 512 GB NvMe which I thought were to run as a raid.  So... See more...
I used the option to keep my personal files.   Seems everything is working.   However, this laptop comes with a 1 TB Spinning Hard Drive and and 512 GB NvMe which I thought were to run as a raid.  Some weeks after install I look at Disk Management and see 476.81 GB which is unallocated.   I am guessing I missed some option in the reinstall.  Any easy way to fix?  
I recently went through a period when it seemed that Windows Updates were always being applied when I started or Shut Down.  All of them seemed to refer to '1709."   I felt the update must be defecti... See more...
I recently went through a period when it seemed that Windows Updates were always being applied when I started or Shut Down.  All of them seemed to refer to '1709."   I felt the update must be defective as it never really installed.   I looked at Settings, Update and Security, Update History and discovered that the updates all began with '1709'   but were all part of slew of different updates.    My advice, watch what it is really doing.    Keep starting and Shut Down machine, as it is convenient to you, and let if finish.   At least all of them really seem to finish and work.  
I received a first rate refurbished machine once.   The only blemish being the Refurbished sticker on the bottom.  I would suggest you agree.  Then if what you receive has something you can't stand, ... See more...
I received a first rate refurbished machine once.   The only blemish being the Refurbished sticker on the bottom.  I would suggest you agree.  Then if what you receive has something you can't stand, then in a friendly voice express that to the exchange people.  The Dell Exchange people like friendly people.  What you might not know about the Exchange is that they will sometimes provide a later version of an Alienware in exchange for an older model.  I turned in a 14 inch Alienware with a battery issue at nearly two years of age that had maxed out specs, and received a Alienware 15 inch R2 with maxed out specs.  A much faster computer with later processors. 
This is an older fourth generation Intel that now has Windows 10 Home, and 4 GB RAM.    I used Ubuntu 16 and 17 live.  I have also installed both.   Ubuntu will not shut down.  I did completely ref... See more...
This is an older fourth generation Intel that now has Windows 10 Home, and 4 GB RAM.    I used Ubuntu 16 and 17 live.  I have also installed both.   Ubuntu will not shut down.  I did completely reformat drive.  I tried several different options of hard drive format.  Finally trying the most basic one main partition,and no encryption.   I thought at one time this laptop came with either Linux or Windows 10, but I do not see the download for Linux on my support page.   Maybe because I did not buy it.   However I would not want to run Linux unless it had the later updates.    I have perused the Ubuntu forums, and saw suggestions for a fix of to make shutdown finish that are for earlier versions of Ubuntu, and none of those suggestions worked.   I also do not know how to get behind that closing Ubuntu splash screen.  I am now frustrated enough that I would try to not use Ubuntu, which may never work properly. I wanted to try QUBES, but the install will not even start.   However that was always not likely for this limited of hardware.    Anyone here want to suggest a version of Linux that I can install on hard drive?  (I have tried several, guessing some do not have the correct video driver.) Computer Model Inspiron 3451 BIOS Vendor Dell Inc. BIOS Version A00 BIOS Date 12/5/2014 OS Version Microsoft Windows 10 Home  Processor Manufacturer Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz Clock Speed 2.2Ghz L2 Cache Size 1024  Memory Available Memory 38.89 % Page File Size 4,682.9MB Available Page File 100.00 % Virtual Memory 4,682.9MB Available Virtual Memory 45.02 % DIMM_A 4,096.0MB  Network controller Adaptor Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) Adaptor Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) Adaptor Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) Adaptor Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)  Storage Drive C: Type 3 Drive Size 456.3GB Total Available Space 59.9GB Used Space 396.4GB  Hardware Type Description DVD/CD-ROM Drives Disk Drives TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 Display Adapters Intel(R) HD Graphics IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Intel(R) Pentium(R) processor N- and J-series / Intel(R) Celeron(R) processor N- and J-series AHCI - 0F23 Keyboards,Mice & Pointing Devices Dell Touchpad PS/2 Compatible Mouse Monitors Generic PnP Monitor Sound Devices Intel(R) Display Audio Realtek High Definition Audio USB Controllers Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
You did not say how you started computer, and how you can see the Samsung SSD at all.   I take it the SSD did not come with the computer.   Samsung SSD's have a rep for having some issues, especi... See more...
You did not say how you started computer, and how you can see the Samsung SSD at all.   I take it the SSD did not come with the computer.   Samsung SSD's have a rep for having some issues, especially as start up drive.   Perhaps go to Samsung itself, and their boards.    
For the record, M$ does a poor job of helping us out with slow computers with things like: Task Manager does not show Windows Update is running.  We need complete visibility of what is going on i... See more...
For the record, M$ does a poor job of helping us out with slow computers with things like: Task Manager does not show Windows Update is running.  We need complete visibility of what is going on in the computer.   Windows 10 using our resources to snitch back to Redmond what we are doing is also not cool.   Nearly all of our programs want to phone home to the mother ship frequently.   I do not recall it off hand there used to be a way on powering the computer on that we can turn off the Windows Update for the session.  We need a program to control all of the updates on our computer.  But M$ is playing we have a secret of what we are doing for you, and we are so smart, you will have to let us do it.
Hi,  I can understand your frustration.  Uh,  Did you say you went a week without rebooting?    Windows 10 is surely better about memory leak than say Windows 98.  Every time I hear 'memory leak'... See more...
Hi,  I can understand your frustration.  Uh,  Did you say you went a week without rebooting?    Windows 10 is surely better about memory leak than say Windows 98.  Every time I hear 'memory leak' I do a double clutch, it is a poor description of what is happening.   It really refers to the OS not recovering memory that it previously used, and is not currently using and memory is not returned to the pool of available memory.   In the really old days of computers, We called the programs that did that "Garbage Collection."  M$ was correct in not implementing garbage collection in Windows 98, as it would cause the machine response to die.   In effect, whatever 'Garbage Collection" that needed would be accomplished by rebooting the computer.  In effect, when an office employee went to lunch, they should have automatically do a full power off, power on restart of their computer.   I am not just recollecting, I am trying to give a context to this issue.  When I got my Apple Mac Book Pro in 2009, I had a discussion on this same issue with the MBP.   The trainer, said, taking the advice of the Geniuses (apple-speak for technical support people)  said that they never closed the cover of the machine without powering it off.   While the OS X was supposed to do that kind of thing without a hitch, it sometimes lost bits here and there.  Just knowing what was involved with the hardware caused them power the machine off and back on, rather than using save features, or letting it just lie around awhile and letting it idle-power save mode on its own.   There is also the possibility of turning off as many programs on the start up list.  Not using a lot of programs at one time to stay out of using virtual memory.   Also, Mac OS X did a better job of recovering memory that previously had been in use.  Bottom line.  Restart your machine every so often.  Don't let this power save features or just closing the lid to extend times between times of completely restarting the machine.   Look not at the task manager for what you can stop, but the large programs you are trying to run at the same time.   If you were doing something like video editing (a lot of memory) and you want to start doing something else memory intensive;  Power down the machine, and power it back on.   Look at any back up programs, like the Windows file save, or cloud program that might be accumulating things to back up.  Not that backup is bad, just it can be a problem with limited memory.  
Hi, I disliked Windows 8.1.  Windows 10 is much much much better.   If you don't mind giving it a try.  If the free upgrade is still there.  I would suggest you try Windows 10 while it is still f... See more...
Hi, I disliked Windows 8.1.  Windows 10 is much much much better.   If you don't mind giving it a try.  If the free upgrade is still there.  I would suggest you try Windows 10 while it is still free.   Yes I have some gripes with Windows 10, particularly its spyware. , Altho its spyware not impact my speed so much that I have removed it.  If you do the upgrade, I recommend that you go to the Microsoft website and download the Windows 10 ISO directly, then run the upgrade program.  Please realize that sometimes the Download, and later the install is working, even though it does not show to be in the Task Manager.  
Sorry I was not of much use.  MOBO is shorthand for Motherboard.  I was referring to the drivers for the MotherBoard, probably available to you through Dell Download.   You might look through t... See more...
Sorry I was not of much use.  MOBO is shorthand for Motherboard.  I was referring to the drivers for the MotherBoard, probably available to you through Dell Download.   You might look through the BIOS/EFI (whichever is correct for your computer) and see if one of those settings might not look right to you.  One also reinstall the Firmware for the BIOS/EFI.   I am not the correct person to be talking about this computer.    I am not an Alienware Expert.   I have never owned the model of computer that you have.   I do hope that might posting might bump this to the top of the Forum, and one of the Alienware Experts might come along and be helpful.    
Did this come computer have an m/SATA?  What is the cache on the Hard Drive?  Did you clone the hard drive, or reinstall from the beginning?  Perhaps, delete and reinstall the drivers for the MOB... See more...
Did this come computer have an m/SATA?  What is the cache on the Hard Drive?  Did you clone the hard drive, or reinstall from the beginning?  Perhaps, delete and reinstall the drivers for the MOBO.   How old did you say the computer is?   I have found I like Windows 10 much better than Windows 8.1.   If all the drivers exist for Windows 10, then surely I would do that upgrade.  I asked the owner of the local computer store why Windows 10 actually works pretty well.  He said because, "M$ removed all the junk that was not needed."
Login for this site can not be used when Google Chrome Extension HTTPS Everywhere is enabled.   I do not know how the code for the top of this site is shown.  Whether it is Flash or JAVA, I do no... See more...
Login for this site can not be used when Google Chrome Extension HTTPS Everywhere is enabled.   I do not know how the code for the top of this site is shown.  Whether it is Flash or JAVA, I do not know.   I also recently had an issue with the Texas Medicaid site not allowing me to use some of their things, might also be due to HTTPS Everywhere.   ???  I am not creating a login for GitHub to report this problem.   I believe Dell Software Engineers should be able to determine the nature of the problem.   HTTPS Everywhere is a project they probably should support and be helpful with.   
Alienware 15 R2, Refurbished.   After someone either fixed Windows 10, or the Dell Support Assistiant downloader, I seem to have had several months of calm.   Then Blam, three times this evening.... See more...
Alienware 15 R2, Refurbished.   After someone either fixed Windows 10, or the Dell Support Assistiant downloader, I seem to have had several months of calm.   Then Blam, three times this evening. Now I see someone on another Alienware blames the drivers for Killer.   
Some others have reported that they removed the Dell Support program the BSOD stopped in Alienware 15's.   In my experience with an earlier Alienware 14,  Hardware failures were easily identified... See more...
Some others have reported that they removed the Dell Support program the BSOD stopped in Alienware 15's.   In my experience with an earlier Alienware 14,  Hardware failures were easily identified.   Most of the problems I saw were M$ Windows problems.   Likewise, I suspect that this BSOD is Windows, not Alienware hardware.  I suspect a M$ update will eventually fix this BSOD problem.  
Back up your registry before trying to delete filters.   Else you may end up Re Installing all of Windows to get it back to working.  Like I did.
Can I use  Seagate Constellation.2 ST91000640NS 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Enterprise-class Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive In my Alienware 15R2?   Right physical size?  Right s... See more...
Can I use  Seagate Constellation.2 ST91000640NS 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Enterprise-class Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive In my Alienware 15R2?   Right physical size?  Right speed? Or maybe:    Seagate Hybrid Drives STBD1000400 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 2.5" Laptop SSHD -Retail Kit or  Seagate ST1000LM015 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drive with Self- Encryption (SED) Bare Drive or Seagate Hybrid Drives ST1000LM014 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 2.5" Laptop SSHD -Bare Drive I am a bit iffy about the exact height of the space available in computer.   All may 2.5 inch drives, but some are slightly taller.   Also some of these drives have MLC which might have a conflict with the Samsung 512 GB already installed.