StlCardsFanJWR's Posts

StlCardsFanJWR's Posts

Thank you! I ended up going with the Qlogic QLE2562 and they are working great!
Need advice on FC FBA adapter for PowerEdge R820 backup to PowerVault TL2000 I have 3 x R820 servers which currently have Qlogic QLE2462 4Gb Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter installed for the sole pu... See more...
Need advice on FC FBA adapter for PowerEdge R820 backup to PowerVault TL2000 I have 3 x R820 servers which currently have Qlogic QLE2462 4Gb Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter installed for the sole purpose of backing up to the PowerVault TL2000. I’m going to upgrade to an 8Gb FC HBA for faster backups. I would like some advice on the following Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters which are compatible with the R820. QLogic QLE2562 8Gb Emulex LPe12002 8Gb Brocade BR825 8Gb Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. Thank you
Thank you very much for the reply. I don't want to make any mistakes like I did the first time I created the array. 
I am migrating to an MD3220 and MD1220 which has the SSD cache and high-performance tier feature keys installed and enabled. I have 6 x 200 GB SLC SSD SAS drives and 24 x 900GB SAS HDDs in the MD3220... See more...
I am migrating to an MD3220 and MD1220 which has the SSD cache and high-performance tier feature keys installed and enabled. I have 6 x 200 GB SLC SSD SAS drives and 24 x 900GB SAS HDDs in the MD3220, MD1220. When I create the SSD Cache, should I assign all 6 SSDs to the cache? For maximum performance is it best to create 1 large RAID-10 disk group then create smaller virtual disks, making sure “Use SSD cache” is enabled? Thank you very much!
I have 3 Dell PowerEdge R820 servers running in duplex mode, directly attached to a Dell PowerVault MD3220 and MD1220 expansion enclosure. Each R820 has a Dell H200E SAS 6Gbps HBA dual port external ... See more...
I have 3 Dell PowerEdge R820 servers running in duplex mode, directly attached to a Dell PowerVault MD3220 and MD1220 expansion enclosure. Each R820 has a Dell H200E SAS 6Gbps HBA dual port external controller so I can attach directly to the MD3220 and avoid using iSCSI. Each R820 has Windows Server 2012 R2 installed and are part of a 3-node failover cluster running Hyper-V. The VMs are stored on separate CSV volumes on the MD3220. I’m migrating drives from an existing MD3220 to a new MD3220 which has several Dell Premium Features enabled. Below is a summary of the new MD3220 and the SAS drives I have available for use in the array. MD3220 Specifications: RAID Controller Module in Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Firmware version:   08.20.24.60 NVSRAM version:  N26X0-820890-008 Data Cache:           4GB RAID Controller Module in Enclosure 0, Slot 1 Firmware version:  08.20.24.60 NVSRAM version:  N26X0-820890-008 Data Cache:           4GB MD3220 Premium Features (installed/enabled): Additional Physical Disk Support High-Performance Tier SSD Cache Available Physical Drives: SAS SSD 6 x 200GB SLC SSD SAS Drive SANDISK LB206M (Dell PN: 6R5R8) SAS HDD 24 x 900GB 10K SAS 2.5" 6Gbps HDD Seagate ST9900605SS Savvio 10k.5 SED (Dell PN: XRRVX) one additional drive for use in case of a drive failure. 3 x 300GB 15K SAS 2.5" 6Gbps HDD Seagate ST9300653SS (Dell PN: H8DVC) 1 x 300GB 15K SAS 2.5" 6Gbps HDD Toshiba MK3001GRRB (Dell PN: NWH7V) I need some advice on setting up the new MD3220 to take full advantage of the SSD caching and high-performance tier features of this MD3220. Since I have so many 900GB HDDs, I’m thinking of creating one large disk group using all 24 as RAID-10 which would give me 10.8 TB. I have VMs of various sizes and was going to create virtual disks of different sizes and place several VMs into a virtual disk based upon the given VM. For example, create a single 2.25 TB virtual disk for exclusive use by an existing VM running SQL 2014. I’m sure this is not the best way to setup SQL Server 2014 in a virtual environment (I can change that later) but for now I need to get the new MD3220 up and running. I have 22 Hyper-V VMs which are currently using cluster storage on the existing MD3220. Since I have to move the drives from my existing MD3220 to the new MD322 - destroying the array in the process - I'll copy all existing Hyper-V folders and corresponding structures in their entirety (Snapshots, Virtual Hard Disks, Virtual Machines) to local storage on two of the R820's. Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - 2nd AD DS (Windows Server 2012 R2) Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - SQL 2014 Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard - Oracle 11g Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - Oracle 12c Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - SQL 2008R2 Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - SQL 2012 Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - TestServer01 Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - TestServer02 Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - Team Foundation Server 2015 Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - Application Services Windows XP Professional (x86) - 3 client VM's Windows 7 Professional (x86) - 2 client VM's Windows 10 Enterprise (x64) - 7 client VM's Questions: I know it will take hours, but is there a way to tell how long it will take to create an RAID-10 array consisting of 24 x 900GB 10K SAS 2.5" 6Gbps HDD's? How should I partition the virtual disks on the MD3220 for the various VM's? Aside from choosing "using SSD cache" when creating the virtual drive, is there anything else I need be aware of to ensure the SSD caching is performing at an optimum level?   Thank you very much for your help!
I have three PE R820's (Dell 6 Gbps SAS HBA) attached in duplex mode to an MD3220 and MD1220. The MD3220 has 24 x 900GB 10k RPM SAS 2.5” HDD configured in RAID-10. Unfortunately, I do not have the Pr... See more...
I have three PE R820's (Dell 6 Gbps SAS HBA) attached in duplex mode to an MD3220 and MD1220. The MD3220 has 24 x 900GB 10k RPM SAS 2.5” HDD configured in RAID-10. Unfortunately, I do not have the Premium Feature which would enable SSD Cache. I have a chance to purchase six (6) Dell P/N 6R5R8 (SanDisk LB206M) 200GB 2.5” 6Gbps SAS SLC SSD drives for a great price. I don’t plan on creating a separate disk group on the MD3220 just for these SSDs. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to realize the performance benefits of the SSDs without purchasing the SSD Cache Feature Key? If the answer is no, can anyone give me a rough idea what the cost is for the SSD cache feature key? Thanks in advance for your help!
I apologize if my comment seemed to be leveled at you directly. I should have been more clear in my reply to specifically state how Dell's documentation could save users a lot of grief by clearly sta... See more...
I apologize if my comment seemed to be leveled at you directly. I should have been more clear in my reply to specifically state how Dell's documentation could save users a lot of grief by clearly stating "Dell OS Deployment Tools require the retail version of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2" or something similar. I should also have thanked you for providing the details which Dell's documentation completely omitted. 
Install directly from the OS media. This has to be one of the most poorly undocumented features of Operating System Deployment using Lifecycle Controller in 12G PowerEdge Server... See more...
Install directly from the OS media. This has to be one of the most poorly undocumented features of Operating System Deployment using Lifecycle Controller in 12G PowerEdge Servers! I cannot believe Dell makes it so difficult for users to find helpful information when it comes to utilizing features that *should* be seamless to the user.
Thank you for sharing your ingenuity with the rest of us. I love the T3500! I'm close to maxing mine out to the and your suggestions should help immensely with keeping the inside cool.
I have seven T3500 workstations and need to replace the motherboard on one of them. After pouring through the forums I've found there were three revisions of the motherboards. DELL P/N: 9KPNV K... See more...
I have seven T3500 workstations and need to replace the motherboard on one of them. After pouring through the forums I've found there were three revisions of the motherboards. DELL P/N: 9KPNV K095G XPDFK  Below are the motherboard P/N and manufactured dates of the five T3500 workstations I've looked at so far. P/N MFG DATE: K095G 15-JUN-09 K095G 24-JUN-09 XPDFK 11-DEC-09 9KPNV 02-SEP-10 9KPNV 25-FEB-11 I'd greatly appreciate it If someone could help me figure out which motherboard P/N is the latest revision.
Awesome idea, thank you very much for sharing your ingenuity. The T3500 is an amazing machine. Most people don't realize how flexible and powerful it can be.
Is there a reason Dell makes it impossible for customers to find information without breaking the internet in the process? I'm trying to use the Dell ESSA tool to calculate cooling requirements for... See more...
Is there a reason Dell makes it impossible for customers to find information without breaking the internet in the process? I'm trying to use the Dell ESSA tool to calculate cooling requirements for the following Dell products and the site is not working.  I do not understand why a company the size of Dell does not have this information readily available on a consistent basis to their customers.  It should NOT be difficult to determine the power and cooling requirements for Dell equipment. 1 x PowerEdge R610 3 x PowerEdge R820 1 x PowerVault MD3220 1 x PowerVault TL2000 Can anybody please help me find the electrical and cooling requirements for the above items? Thank you, John
It would be very nice if the tool were consistent, it states the R910 is part of the "Supported Products" but is not available as a choice when trying to use the tool.  It's very frustrating to waste... See more...
It would be very nice if the tool were consistent, it states the R910 is part of the "Supported Products" but is not available as a choice when trying to use the tool.  It's very frustrating to waste so much time digging for energy values on Dell's website for information that should be readily available for every server Dell has manufactured.
It would be very nice if the tool were consistent, it states the R910 is part of the "Supported Products" but is not available as a choice when trying to use the tool.  It's very frustrating to waste... See more...
It would be very nice if the tool were consistent, it states the R910 is part of the "Supported Products" but is not available as a choice when trying to use the tool.  It's very frustrating to waste so much time digging for energy values on Dell's website for information that should be readily available for every server Dell has manufactured.
I only use SAS (HDD or SSD) drives in any server I put together, and prefer to use 2.5" drives whenever possible. I plan on using 6 x 400gb Toshiba Enterprise SSD SAS drives. I plan on having 2 dri... See more...
I only use SAS (HDD or SSD) drives in any server I put together, and prefer to use 2.5" drives whenever possible. I plan on using 6 x 400gb Toshiba Enterprise SSD SAS drives. I plan on having 2 drives in a RAID 1 for the OS (Windows Server 2012 R2) then use the remaining 6 drives in a RAID 5 array, which will give me plenty of space. If I weren't using SAS drives I wouldn't even consider setting up a RAID 5 array. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
I'm thinking of installing eight (8) new 2.5" SAS drives into an R710 with an PERC H700 controller and would like to know folks recommendations for choosing the correct drives. I'm having a hard ti... See more...
I'm thinking of installing eight (8) new 2.5" SAS drives into an R710 with an PERC H700 controller and would like to know folks recommendations for choosing the correct drives. I'm having a hard time deciding which drives I should purchase. My drive options are as follows: (8) 2.5" 400GB Toshiba Enterprise SSD (8) 2.5" 300GB 15k SAS HDD (8) 2.5" 600GB 15k SAS HDD Questions: Should I mix SSD with HDD? I plan on using Drives 0/1 in a RAID 1 array.  What is the best way to setup/configure the remaining six (6) drives? Is it advisable to mix HDD with SSD. Thank you in advance and I really appreciate your help.